Let's talk diaper bags! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-07-2011, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My Timi and Leslie Charlie just arrived and I am SO thrilled with it.  This bag makes me feel like a grownup!!!  It is just beautiful, and all the accessories are so swanky.  Love.  So glad I finally splurged on the bag I REALLY wanted instead of buying yet another bag I didn't really like and would fall apart anyway

Can't wait to stuff it with baby gear!

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2011, 10:17 PM

I love my diaper bag!  I bought it a few years ago on super sale at potterybarnkids and love it so much.  I use a basic black shoulder diaper bag for DSs DC but use this one (in red) as mine :).

sling+bags.jpg

Knitting mama to Crabby Patty and Lovebug .

Old 06-08-2011, 07:10 AM

I don't bother with a diaper bag. I had one with #1 (gift) but I found it just got too full all the time. I just use bags or backpacks that I already have. I find that I don't really need all that much stuff-- change of clothes, a couple of dipes, a blanket. Water, snacks for me and the olders, my wallet. I live in a very urban area with no car and do almost everything by foot so I like to keep it light, and I just basically pack as needed when I am leaving the house. I don't mind changing my baby on the ground or in my lap. For me, I like to have a nice little stroller pouch that hangs from the handles (I do use a stroller, right now for my 2yo, I will probably exclusively babywear the infant until springtime, but my kids are BIG, like in the 95th percentile, and I expect this one will be too, the older two were 20lbs by 6m, and since we do so much on foot, I find I have to start using a stroller at some point to save my back!)

Anyway. We live very frugally (by necessity) and in a very small space. I just see this as something I don't truly need... my advice I guess is see what you get gifted and then go from there. IF I were to have a big giant has-everything bag, I would definitely also want a mini on-the-go option, something that you can carry on your body and stay hands-free, for when you are just dashing in and out of places, etc.

dissertating mom to three

Old 06-08-2011, 08:02 AM

I got a Petunia Picklebottom bag off eBay - the boxy backpack, which can obviously, be worn back pack style, or the strap is long enough for either messenger or shoulder. I love it; it is very roomy and I love the fold out changing pad, because when we are out, I can just set the bag at the head of the changing table, fold out the pad (as it is attached, but can velcro off for cleaning) and voila!

In it, I can easily carry a days worth of cloth diapers (for me, 5-6) if needed, a change or 2 of clothes for DS, wipes, cream, snacks, and a drink or two. Not that I do all the time carry this much, but I like that I can! Now, I'll admit that this is a large bag and can get heavy; for the most part it stays in the car, unless we will be out of the car for a long period of time. (like the zoo, or the mall, etc) but that would be true regardless of the diaperbag.  I could fit what I need purse wise in it also, but since it does usually stay in the car, and I do go places without DS (like work) I carry a separate purse. Unless it is the park or zoo, and then I toss keys and wallet in the bag.

Now with #2 on the way, I will likely use this big bag for her, and have DS a separate one for things like church nursery, where they will be in separate rooms. (or if DS goes somewhere with one of the grandparents by himself) I am just debating what to get for him. something smaller I think!

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

Old 06-08-2011, 08:50 AM

I'm the same way :).  Got the black diaper bag free from a friend and got the sling backpack for ease and it was only $20 with free ship at the time.  It gets heavy baby wearing AND carrying a little one so for me the backpack style works great (while LO is in the front carry position) and leaves everything else secure and easily accessible.

GL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmaegbert View Post

I don't bother with a diaper bag. I had one with #1 (gift) but I found it just got too full all the time. I just use bags or backpacks that I already have. I find that I don't really need all that much stuff-- change of clothes, a couple of dipes, a blanket. Water, snacks for me and the olders, my wallet. I live in a very urban area with no car and do almost everything by foot so I like to keep it light, and I just basically pack as needed when I am leaving the house. I don't mind changing my baby on the ground or in my lap. For me, I like to have a nice little stroller pouch that hangs from the handles (I do use a stroller, right now for my 2yo, I will probably exclusively babywear the infant until springtime, but my kids are BIG, like in the 95th percentile, and I expect this one will be too, the older two were 20lbs by 6m, and since we do so much on foot, I find I have to start using a stroller at some point to save my back!)

Anyway. We live very frugally (by necessity) and in a very small space. I just see this as something I don't truly need... my advice I guess is see what you get gifted and then go from there. IF I were to have a big giant has-everything bag, I would definitely also want a mini on-the-go option, something that you can carry on your body and stay hands-free, for when you are just dashing in and out of places, etc.

Knitting mama to Crabby Patty and Lovebug .

Old 06-08-2011, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

I'm thinking of getting a cute little backpack for DD so she can carry at least part of her things herself.  This would thrill her and save me some weight in my bag.  

I don't carry a lot either, really - at least not compared to the other moms I see out and about.  But I do like to have the big bag because I have the option to add lots more for a specific outing without having to switch to a whole new bag and move other the things I ALWAYS carry.  

So, I consolidated all of my 4 (!) usual bags into my new one and now it holds my 'always with me' stuff:

-small bag of snack things - a juice box, some raisins etc, a cloth napkin that can be a bib for DD, a small fork and some dried fruit

-bus schedule, watch(never wear it but like to have it for riding the bus), 

-change pad, wipes, room for several cloth diapers (to me, a change pad is essential, even if it's only a recieving blanket- I have been faced with some GRODY bathrooms to change diapers in)

-wet bag and plastic bag

-extra shirt for DD, sunscreen, bandaids

-clutch with my migraine meds, emergency money, spare key, credit cards, pen, etc

-crayons, stickers, colouring pages, a couple of tiny books

-my knitting redface.gif

Then I have a small tote bag hanging in the closet with stuff to add  as needed, mostly for the playground:

-umbrella, slightly bigger first aid kit, sidewalk chalk, bubbles,  etc

When the baby comes there will be plenty of room to add those necessities as well  - diapers, change of clothes, bottles, etc

*ahem* I now feel a little obsessive about diaper bags...

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

Old 06-08-2011, 10:52 PM

I've bought most of mine at trade shows, as samples, so it's a little easier to have a collection that way. The tricky part is getting them home if I buy more than one. :)

My Timi & Leslie bags are older ones and I don't remember the names. One is a messenger styled red leather bag, and the other is plum colored and is more rounded.

I don't always wrap my camera when it's in my bag. If I have something super soft in there, I wrap it up, but otherwise I just carefully arrange stuff around it.

Old 06-09-2011, 06:13 AM

By baby 3 I had stopped using diaper bags at all. I don't use a purse, I use a bag that goes on your shoulders, like a school-bag did. It's used as my purse and then when I have a baby I stick some diapers, travel-wipes and change of clothes in it(and burping rags if I have that kind of baby). Also I keep some baby things in the car (toys and more diapers! and clothes) I can carry the baby in a snugli and have my bag on my back and have my hands free. Now I have two teenagers so I doubt I'll be so weighed-down with this baby! One of them really wants me to get one of those huge bulky diaper bags from the store but I really don't want one, to have to carry a bag and my own bag is just too much. I don't need so much with a baby like I did with #1 when I leave the house! Maybe I'll get one for the kids' peace-of-mind :)

drowning in hormones with 4 daughters and an understanding, loving hubby. also some dogs. my life is crazy and we are always learning.

Old 06-09-2011, 06:57 AM

I think I found what I'm going to use as a diaper bag! Yippee!

100_6817.jpg

On the inside there are 2 big pockets plus a smaller zippered pocket between the two sides. Here are my "essentials" on one side. It's my wallet, dh's wallet (he throws his in my purse whenever we're out together), my gift card holder and ds's emergency kit (epi-pen, inhaler, spacer and mask). There is still a ton of room on that side.

100_6818.jpg

This will be the baby's side. There's plenty of room for a couple diapers, wipes, a changing pad I plan on making, an outfit and (later) some snacks/food.

100_6820.jpg

And now for the best part..... it was originally $60, on clearance for $11.97. I had a $10 off any $10 purchase so I got this purse for $1.97!!!

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

User Tag List