spotlight May 30-Jun 5: agirlday, alillemor, elijay18, JenLove, JoyfulWife - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-30-2011, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter
~pi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Spotlight thread #10! This week, the spotlight is on:

8 Oct – agirlday (Randi Sue), #4
8 Oct – alillemor, #2
8 Oct – eljay18 (Lisa), #1, stork-boy.gif
8 Oct – JenLove (Jennie), #2
8 Oct – JoyfulWife (Chelsea), #3, stork-boy.gif

Previous weeks:

Week 1: MamaMcBride, ValH, akind1, purplerose, dragondreaming
Week 2: korintherin, auntbeabea, durafemina, ~pi, fourbeautifulgirls
Week 3: JupiteRain48, puente, Shonahsmom, Snugglebugmom
Week 4: capretta, carriede, KristinaMarie, AlexisT, dosergirl
Week 5: Gabesgrrrl, Grahnola Mum, Hannahkatiebell, Jane, NDFanatik
Week 6: snubblenuts, afmom2be, HeatherCPST, Starlit, VTtoPSUmama, Leiahs
Week 7: lovinlife114, Mama_Wolf1982, MOMYS, ameliasmama, JJ'sMom
Week 8: lifeguard, mirabelsmama, mythik, starling&diesel, DragonflyMom
Week 9: Earthmamajen, JoyousJenny, MrsAngelic, StrongFeather, Ababi

How this works

If your name is listed above, this is a spotlight on you! Please answer all questions you have time for and feel comfortable answering.

Everyone else, ask questions of the five or six DDC members listed. Silly questions, serious questions, whatever you want to know!

When will everyone's thread happen?

I will start a new thread every Monday. (Changed from Sunday, as I think Monday is a better day to start. If anyone else wants to help with this, please PM me. I have some weeks coming up where I won't be able to do this.)

We'll go in groups of 5-6, working our way down the list. Right now, that means the last spotlight thread will start in mid-September. I am taking the list from capretta's carefully maintained roster, so if you are not on that list, make sure to get on it if you want to be part of the spotlight threads.

What if I don't want to be in the spotlight?

That's OK. Just PM me to let me know. Or just don't answer any questions when your thread comes around.

We are going on the default assumption that people who have signed up on the roster are interested in talking with the rest of us and getting to know each other, but if you don't feel comfortable answering a bunch of questions on a public forum, that's perfectly OK.

What if someone doesn't answer?

This is one of the advantages of having so many people. With 5 people in the spotlight each week, chances are good that at least a few of each group will be able and willing to answer questions.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#2 of 8 Old 05-30-2011, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
~pi

Questions to get us started:

What does your MDC user name mean? How did you choose it?

What are some causes / charities / etc. that are important to you?

Do you like to read? What are a few of your favorite books? (Either all-time faves, or ones you have read lately.)

What are your favorite guilty (or perhaps not so guilty) pleasures?

If you could take a one-month trip anywhere in the world, price no object, where would you go?

What were you like as a teenager? If you could go back in time, what would you tell your teenage self?

How do you think your background and childhood influence the way you approach parenting?

If you already have older children, tell us a little bit about each of them. If you are a first time mom, tell us what you are most excited about when it comes to starting a family.

By the way, you all have an EDD of Oct 8! (Not that that means that much, but it's kind of neat. Forgive my dorkiness. smile.gif )

#3 of 8 Old 05-31-2011, 08:07 AM

What is your favorite, quick go to recipe?

Coffee or Tea?

Do you plan to go grey with grace or dye?

Do you watch TV, what is your favorite show? 

Soup, salad, sandwich - pick two and what type. 

Summer or winter? 

Do you sing in the car? Only when you are alone or when you are with others?

Mama to DS (03/09) and DD (10/11) and married to the love of my life

#4 of 8 Old 06-03-2011, 11:36 AM

Hi there! I've been meaning to get to this all week - I figured that it would be a jumpstart to me becoming more active in the ddc :)

What does your MDC user name mean? How did you choose it? I chose my username 'agirlday' back when I had just given birth to my first daughter. We didn't do much during the day, and I would always just tell my husband that we were sitting around, having a girl day. I've never changed the name because 1 daughter turned to 2, then 3, and now I am expecting 4.

What are some causes / charities / etc. that are important to you? I am pretty inactive and live and let live, but for my family, I am passionate about breastfeeding and attachment parenting. I have been an online breastfeeding mentor (on livejournal) for almost 3 years.

Do you like to read? What are a few of your favorite books? (Either all-time faves, or ones you have read lately.) I love to read and my husband is an English professor, so I try to keep up. I like modern fiction best, but I go back and forth - one modern, one classic. Recently, I read The Hunger Games which I LOVED, and I am currently reading On The Road, by Jack Kerouac. I also like non-fiction and knitting books.

What are your favorite guilty (or perhaps not so guilty) pleasures? I watch Survivor, lol.

If you could take a one-month trip anywhere in the world, price no object, where would you go? I don't know - there are so many places that I haven't been! Maybe somewhere tropical and secluded. I would love to lie around in a hammock all day and go beachcombing.

What were you like as a teenager? If you could go back in time, what would you tell your teenage self? I was pretty square - didn't get into too much trouble. I rode horses and read a lot. I worked as a postal clerk and babysat all of the time. If I could go back, I would tell my teenage self what a cool person I was, and how pretty. I always thought that I was a pretty disgusting human and not very interesting.

How do you think your background and childhood influence the way you approach parenting? My parents were divorced and did the best that they could. I had free reign a lot of the time and my parents had a lot of trust in me. I want to provide my girls with a little more direction and support. Especially when it comes to education. My mother was always overly concerned with her weight and appearance (and mine) and I am not that way. I wish that I were a little bit more crunchy. I am on the crunchy side of mainstream, but I know that I could be making better decisions for my family.

If you already have older children, tell us a little bit about each of them.

I have 3 daughters. Solstice, 'Soli,' is 6 years old and so wonderful. She loves to read, and tell bad jokes, and surprise me. She is VERY literal and a perfectionist. She is cuddly and wonderful. Luna is 5 and I can't even begin to describe this wonderful, WEIRD little creature. She is funny and intense. HUGE imagination. She rages and she has the most amazing vocabulary I have ever imagined a 5 year old to have. Daphne Blue is 2, and happy and easy going most of  the time. She is a late talker, but emulates every single thing that the older girls do.  All three girls look so much alike that they could be triplets at different ages. I am having a hard time imagining what a fourth child will look like - I just keep trying to imagine one more hybrid of these girls but slightly different.

This pregnancy was very, very unexpected for us. We were 'done' and I spent the first trimester in shock and despair. I am happy to say that at this point, I am very excited about adding our 4th daughter to the mix. Can't wait to meet her.

Randi Sue, proud mama to 3 girls, Solstice (11/04), Luna (3/06), and Daphne Blue (2/09). Married to Sol for almost 7 years(!) I'm.... moderately crunchy.
#5 of 8 Old 06-03-2011, 11:47 AM

What is your favorite, quick go to recipe? I am a HORRIBLE cook. But I make good guacamole and salsa :)

Coffee or Tea? Both! Coffee in the morning (except for i am 'off' coffee - can't stand the taste - during this pregnancy) and tea in the evening. I love Chai and spicy teas, but also the flowery stuff.

Do you plan to go grey with grace or dye? I wish I would end up with that gorgeous silvery grey hair. That would be lovely.

Do you watch TV, what is your favorite show? I love Friday Night Lights, LOST, Survivor, Six Feet Under - We like to watch a series or season when it's over so it can be done ALL AT ONCE.

Soup, salad, sandwich - pick two and what type. Clam chowder and SOURDOUGH!

Summer or winter? I used to say winter, but I think that lately, I am leaning more summer. Must be those last 2 winters I had in Michigan ;) All those little mittens and scarves and hats and boots. And red chapped skin and runny noses.

Do you sing in the car? Only when you are alone or when you are with others? I do. I like The Decemberists, Death Cab, The Dixie Chicks and.... really bad country. I keep it in check when there is someone other than family in the car, but I like to rock out. And I am terrible!

Randi Sue, proud mama to 3 girls, Solstice (11/04), Luna (3/06), and Daphne Blue (2/09). Married to Sol for almost 7 years(!) I'm.... moderately crunchy.
#6 of 8 Old 06-03-2011, 02:25 PM

What does your MDC user name mean? How did you choose it? I started using this name right after we got married and it just kind of stuck. :) I love dh and we have a great marriage.

What are some causes / charities / etc. that are important to you? I'm passionate about breastfeeding, non vaxing, organic eating... that kind of thing. But only for our family. I can't stand people who push their views on me as the 'right' way. I'm all about informed choice. I'll make my informed choices for my family and you make yours. :)

Do you like to read? What are a few of your favorite books? I'm a huge reader, though these days most of my reading time is spent reading to my kids. I love books about my hobbies: sewing, knitting, mommy-ing. With the occasional novel thrown in there when I have time. I don't really have a favourite genre, I just love well written books.

What are your favorite guilty (or perhaps not so guilty) pleasures? Cute clothes for my kids. I spend way too much money on their clothes and shoes but I don't care. Coffee is probably the other. We have a coffee section in our budget we spend so much on it. ;)

If you could take a one-month trip anywhere in the world, price no object, where would you go? This is kind of embarrassing but... no where. I am a total home body and I really don't have any desire to travel at all. We enjoy camping and the occasional trip to visit my parents but even then at the end of 3 or 4 days I'm ready to go home.

What were you like as a teenager? If you could go back in time, what would you tell your teenage self? I was a terrible teenager... partying, sneaking out, too many boy friends. I'd tell myself to knock it off and go get a job. I just hope my kids don't do the same to me!

How do you think your background and childhood influence the way you approach parenting? My parents were awesome. Totally supportive of whatever we did and I hope to be the same. They weren't as crunchy as we are turning out to be but I hope that some of their laid back attitude will carry over to me.

If you already have older children, tell us a little bit about each of them. If you are a first time mom, tell us what you are most excited about when it comes to starting a family. We have a 4yo girl and a 2 yo boy. Dd is our high need kid. She nursed every hour on the hour for 16 months, didn't sleep through the night until or in her own bed until 18 months... she was a TOUGH baby. She was talking in full sentences before she turned 1, reading when she turned 3... she has the best sense of humor and I just can't imagine life without her!

Our little man is the exact opposite of his sister. He is easy going, laid back, and happy all the time. He loves anything with wheels and a motor. He is our little sunshine. :)

partners.gif Married to an awesome dh for 5 years. energy.gifSweetpea, our honeymoon baby! (06/07), biggrinbounce.gif Little man (04/09), and rolleyes.gif our newest little guy (10/11).

#7 of 8 Old 06-06-2011, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter
~pi

Thank you all, mamas, for letting us get to know you a little better! I hope you will post more on other threads -- it sounds like you have some interesting stories to tell and things to say. smile.gif

#8 of 8 Old 06-10-2011, 11:47 AM

What does your MDC user name mean? How did you choose it? It's my first initial and my middle name. My middle name means "little mother" and was my grandmother's nickname, so I have quite a fondess for it.

What are some causes / charities / etc. that are important to you?  Good/natural parenting and breastfeeding. Although I haven't contributed lately, Sierra Club and Habitat for Humanity are charities I support and have worked with in the past.

Do you like to read? What are a few of your favorite books? (Either all-time faves, or ones you have read lately.) As a research scientist, most of my non-children books are journal articles.

What are your favorite guilty (or perhaps not so guilty) pleasures? Caramel ice cream - no guilt involved. Is yoga a guilty pleasure? I get so go so infrequently that it feels like such a treat when I do!

If you could take a one-month trip anywhere in the world, price no object, where would you go? Backpacking through Europe with my hubby

What were you like as a teenager? If you could go back in time, what would you tell your teenage self? I was pretty reserved as a teenager, good kid, good grades. Started dating in high school and let loose a little. I would tell myself to lighten up a bit!!

How do you think your background and childhood influence the way you approach parenting? My parents are my best friends. We were raised in a conservative household that centered on family. They have always been supportive of my choices and lifestyle - much more liberal and "crunchy" than theirs. I hope to be as understanding as they were, but with gentler discipline.

If you already have older children, tell us a little bit about each of them. If you are a first time mom, tell us what you are most excited about when it comes to starting a family. My 19-month son is amazing. Doctor's were initially worried about some delays due to physical issues (for no reason at all) but he surpassed everyone's expectations and had every developmental milestone beat! He is incredibly curious, a fast learner, loves animals and anything with wheels. He prefers toys that make noise or non-toys and absolutely has to figure out how things are put together and work. Hubby stays-at-home with him and it is so joyous to watch their relationship grow! I can't wait to see our family expand (by the way, my due date was changed to Sept 27th! - not that it matters since the midwives will let baby come when baby is ready)

What is your favorite, quick go to recipe? Vegetarian lentil curry -yummy

Coffee or Tea? Both, but i need to start my day with coffee, even when pregnant.

Do you plan to go grey with grace or dye? Gracefully (I hope) but definitely no dye

Do you watch TV, what is your favorite show? Bones or Grey's Anatomy would probably be my favorite, can't stand reality tv.

Soup, salad, sandwich - pick two and what type. Soup (any kind) Sandwich (BLAT - bacon, lettuce, avocado and tomato)

Summer or winter? Summer, but it depends on climate. I actually enjoyed our cold snowy Michigan winter last year, it just lasted too long for my comfort.

Do you sing in the car? Of course! But usually only when I am alone or with my hubby and son.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page