swimsuits for the well-endowed pregnant ladies... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 05-30-2011, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Not sure if it makes sense to post here but I can't figure this out and thought maybe you ladies can help.

I am a DDD (or, F cup I guess?) when preggo (DD "normally" whatever that is at this point... this is baby #3 and its hard to remember what "normal" even is) and I am thinking about just getting a bikini for summer rather than maternity bathing suits which I mostly don't like and seem expensive. I will be spending 2 months at my parents lake house (mostly working, but hopefully having a daily swim for exercise and fun, weather allowing). I really need a full-coverage, full-support, bra-sized top. Why are these so freaking hard to find??

Any tips on where to look?

And since I am a size 12 (or sometimes 10) on the bottom, I really need to buy the top and bottom separately... otherwise I am looking at a bottom that is, IDK, an 18 or so?

And is there any reason why you'd need a "maternity" bikini? seems like it would be the one kind of clothing where it should accommodate an expanding belly no problem.

As for my other two pregnancies: w/ #1 I squeezed into a tankini I already had and DESTROYED it. It practically became a bikini anyway (and that is an option I guess... buying a tankini and knowing my belly will just stick out) and with #2 I borrowed a mat suit from a neighbor which was really ugly but worked. But she was born in spring and I didn't swim much anyway.

dissertating mom to three

#2 of 16 Old 05-30-2011, 03:23 PM

Lands End has a bunch of tankini tops that have adjustable sides.  People in the reviews on that site say they use them for maternity tops since they adjust to a fairly long length.  Lands End also has tops designed especially with big cup sizes.  They only have one tankini top with both the special large cup sizes and the adjustable sides, but you might want to have a look at the tops on their site - I thought several might work for me.  I ended up ordering a plus size tankini top from there in a too-big size so it will stretch over my belly.  I also have large breasts and found the cups to be pretty satisfactory.  

heartbeat.gif  Baby girl arrived 10/11/11 heartbeat.gif

#3 of 16 Old 05-30-2011, 03:31 PM

Just adding:  Here is the Lands End tankini top with a large cup option and the extendable sides: http://www.landsend.com/pp/BeachLivingAdjustableTunicSwimTop~203490_59.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::BLA&CM_MERCH=IDX_Swimwear-_-Women-_-SpecialSwimSizes-_-DDDDDDCup&origin=index

The low cut on the chest on that is why I didn't end up trying it, but maybe it wouldn't be a problem if the cups are truly large enough.

Here is the top I got:  http://www.landsend.com/pp/TankiniScoopneckTop~216233_-1.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::BLA&CM_MERCH=IDX_Women-_-Swimsuits-_-ShopbySilhouette-_-TopsTankinis&origin=index

It looks quite shapeless on the model, but I think it's just because her breasts aren't as big as mine.  It's rather curvy on me.  Too bad the smaller sizes are sold out.

Also check out Bravissimo:  http://www.bravissimo.com/products/swimwear/tankinis/#/1?show=16&sort=1 .  They have serious bras built into their tops, and they ship worldwide.  I haven't personally tried one, but I hear good things.  

#4 of 16 Old 05-30-2011, 03:45 PM

Also check out swimwear on figleaves.com and barenecessities.com. 

Example:

http://www.figleaves.com/us/product.asp?product=Sophina-by-Figleaves.com-Waikiki-Underwired-Tankini-Top&product_id=SBF-SS117171&size=&colour=Blues

and 

http://www.figleaves.com/us/product.asp?product=Sophina-by-Figleaves.com-Waikiki-Underwired-Tankini-Top&product_id=SBF-SS117171&size=&colour=Blues

They offer a bunch of stuff with bra sizing, but depending on what you mean by "full coverage" those may or may not be okay.  

Edit: And if nothing else works, maybe get a tankini top with extendable sides and wear a sports bra under it.  :/

#5 of 16 Old 05-30-2011, 05:37 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

I just saw that lands end top on ebay.

Making a March 9th sandwich with a Halloween filling.
#6 of 16 Old 05-30-2011, 07:40 PM
~pi

Quote:

Originally Posted by emmaegbert View Post

I am thinking about just getting a bikini for summer [...] I really need a full-coverage, full-support, bra-sized top.

Are you looking for a tankini, or a bikini? I prefer bikinis, so can speak to that, but ignore if you actually want a tankini.

I just got a new maternity bottom to go with a bunch of existing bikini tops. I do find that I need a maternity bottom, because I wear bikini bottoms with higher coverage, and those don't fit over my pregnant belly. If you like lower coverage bikinis, those might fit OK.

Here is this year's version of my favourite bikini. It used to have a separate bottom and skirt, which is what I have. (Looks like now you have to get them together, which would annoy me, so I guess I'm glad I already have this. I don't want a skirt when I am swimming laps, thankyouverymuch.) In any case, it looks like the top is the same. You can see what the top looks like on a model in the link; here is what it looks like on a non-model (me, last summer.) I was/am a DD/E cup, properly sized for bras, but I fit C/D in swimwear. I recently picked up a brown and blue maternity bottom to go with this top.

Photobucket

Places I look for swimwear: Land's End tends to be the first place I look. (See above.) I also like title 9 sports, which has a section for C-DD women. (Again, for me, although I am technically DD/E, I find that C/D work fine in swimwear, and I also fit into their regular stuff just fine.) They always have sports bikinis, which I love. I used to like Athleta, but haven't ordered anything from them in years. I have one sports bikini top I bought on clearance a couple of years ago at MEC, which is like a Canadian version of REI, but that's the only time I've ever seen good sporty bikinis there. REI might stock them, though.

It is tough to find a good supportive bikini top. Drives me crazy. Triathlon suits used to be great, but everyone is moving to full suits, so no luck there lately, and competitive swimming stores seem to only stock one pieces or very tiny bikinis now.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#7 of 16 Old 05-30-2011, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

thanks! I will check these out. quite a few good leads, thanks. I was looking at Lands End but I am worried that DD won't fit (or won't cover me well enough for my comfort) and won't be supportive enough... but maybe I should try. (they only have E in tankini tops...) I just tried a friend's underwire 34DD bikini top and NO WAY. Way too much breast showing. Plus it was halter style and that is too much weight to have hanging from my neck, lol. I am thinking that an "athletic" top would work better...

#8 of 16 Old 05-31-2011, 09:19 AM

DDCC I'm having the same problem, but I'm looking for a full suit. I normally have to buy grandma-bathing suits, since there are no cute suits that will fit my H/I boobs. Now I think my breast are growing again, but I'm hoping I don't move up to J/K until after my milk comes in. I think I might try for a plus-sized bathing suit, which usually has enough support in the chest, and hope it won't look too baggy on my small bum, which will be the only normal-sized part of me in a bathing suit! Hopefully it will be OK, since I'll only be 7 months by the end of August.

Crafty, play-at-home mama to spirited 4 yo DD and zany 1 yo DS, living in an ecovillage in beautiful British Columbia. 
#9 of 16 Old 05-31-2011, 05:30 PM

I am so glad you started this thread!! I'm normally a DD and recently tried a maternity tankini on and was HORRIFIED at how little coverage the top offered. I mean- don't they expect serious knockers on pregnant ladies?? I'm not sure how to manage it all, because my belly is already HUGE with twins on the way, and I can't imagine how much bigger my belly will be. I would like a tankini just because I think my gut will be grotesque and freak out coworkers (I work in the field and we will swim as things get hot). At the same time, I don't know if any tankini will fit me. I think I might just have to do bikini, and maybe I'll try to follow these leads.  Bravissimo bikinis look great- but pricey!

Let me know if you ladies find other good options.

#10 of 16 Old 06-01-2011, 05:24 AM

Last summer - non pregnant of course - I found a great suit at Kohl's with good support. This time, I just broke down and got one from motherhood. It seems supportive enough, but on this petite, plus size gal, the top doesn't quite come long enough for my comfort, I am now on the hunt for plus size brown swim shorts that don't cost too much. Would love to find a pair for around $20. Need to try Kohl's again.  I am a G cup when pregnant and/or nursing, and ugh, finding any suit either way is a pain and a half.

Love the land's end stuff though!

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#11 of 16 Old 06-01-2011, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

By full coverage I mean not a demi-style cup. That is way more flesh showing than I want. Also, I just come out the top of that kind of bra/bikini

The problem with wearing an extra sports bra is that I actually swim a lot in the summer, and I'm afraid that won't dry well. But I could look for a lighter-weight/sythetic fabric one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowdart View Post

They offer a bunch of stuff with bra sizing, but depending on what you mean by "full coverage" those may or may not be okay.  

Edit: And if nothing else works, maybe get a tankini top with extendable sides and wear a sports bra under it.  :/

#12 of 16 Old 06-01-2011, 06:51 PM

Hi there. If you're still following this post, I commiserate: I'm a 34G when not pregnant and probably a 34H or I when I am pregnant. I definitely need underwire, and I definitely need to buy top and bottom separately.

I second the recommendation to check out figleaves.com and barenecessities.com and will also put a link here to the suit that I bought that has already served me really well this spring on a few hot days when we found ourselves suiting up. HUGE relief to have figured this out for once -- good luck!

Here's the one I have:

the top is here -- http://www.lindasonline.com/panache-anna-underwire-balconnet-bikini-top-sw0503-black.html

and the bottom is here, it's a fold down so it works amazingly with the pregnant belly -- http://www.lindasonline.com/panache-anna-folded-bikini-pant-sw0505-black.html

#13 of 16 Old 06-01-2011, 07:48 PM

I just bought this top in brown after MUCH searching. And love it! I'm normally a DD (but what's normal anymore, I agree!) and am bigger now.

http://www.landsend.com/pp/BeachLivingDotSweetheartBikiniTop~220446_2136.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::BWH&CM_MERCH=IDX_Swimwear-_-Women-_-ShopbySilhouette-_-TopsTankinis&origin=index

Nicole treehugger.gif  Busy with my two boys.jog.gifdiaper.gif  The 'big boy' too. peace.gifOh, and a sweet baby girl, born at home in October. love.gif

#14 of 16 Old 06-02-2011, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter

newyorkmommy- I love the look of that suit- looks supportive and has coverage, without looking too much like its just a bra... (and are you in NYC? I just ask b/c I am, and I was thinking of just going over to the Towne Shop, which has the best bras I've ever found for larger ladies, and I seem to recall that they have bathing suits too... but now I am editing to add, I noticed that the link you gave is to a store in NYC, yay, I can go try on in person!)

nicolian- good to hear about that lands end one. I was actually looking at it last night and just felt like... I can't tell how it would fit/cover but it looks promising. Problem is that I am definitely getting bigger than my normal DD, but maybe they are generously sized? Sounds like it from a couple of you saying that the DDs fit well even if you are bigger.

Thanks everyone and happy swimming this summer! Agree its getting HOT already and I want to be able to go to the beach/pool this month... we're up at a lake for July and August, but the current weather is making me eager to get this taken care of soon :)

#15 of 16 Old 06-02-2011, 02:25 PM

Hi emmaegbert! Yes, I am indeed in NYC -- Brooklyn, to be exact! Is Linda's a brick and mortar shop? I actually bought mine online and had good luck with ordering a whole bunch of different sizes, then returning all but one top and one bottom. The top is a tad bra-like, but honestly I prefer it that way because otherwise they just don't support. All these "shelf bras" are beyond annoying, I can't do them at all. I've heard good things about Towne Shop but have always bought my bras as My Intimacy. They have a few locations. If you're in Brooklyn, you can also try Iris Lingerie on Atlantic Avenue, it's a tiny place but I've had good luck there as well and I believe she carries swimsuits now. So right about being prepared. This is the first pregnancy where I'll actually have a suit I don't feel totally ridiculous in, and actually I think the style will translate well after the baby comes -- will probably just buy a smaller size bottom and that'll be it!

#16 of 16 Old 06-20-2011, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

alright, went to the Town Shoppe (cannot recommend this place enough!) and got the Panache suit in a 34G. It fits! It supports! Its great! Kind of amazing. Now, I just have to brave enough to wear a bikini all summer... though I guess I won't have a choice since nothing else actually fits :)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page