Chat thread- 5/29-6/4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 74 Old 05-31-2011, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Super late this week, sorry! It so feels like a Monday here!

I hope everyone had a fantastic weekend!

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 74 Old 05-31-2011, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

So, remember all that talk about getting new wood floors in the baby's room and ds's room? Well, we decided late last week that we were going to hold off on it for now and use that money to put up a fence in the backyard instead. We were very happy with our decision and figured in a year or so we would revisit the issue and maybe do the wood floors at that time.

On Sunday dh and I cleaned out the baby's nursery (it had turned into a storage room and you could barely even step in it there was so much stuff! LOL!). So we worked our butts off cleaning. During that time and afterwards my allergies were going nuts (still are, actually). Coughing, wheezing, stuffy/bloody nose, etc. So yesterday my MIL and FIL came over for a cook-out. DH took MIL upstairs to see the progress on the baby's room. On a hunch, she pulled up the carpet (I think I mentioned that a yearish ago we had a leak issue in that room and ds's room). Sure enough, there's black mold under the carpet in the baby's room where the leak had been! ARGH! So then we went into ds's room (remember how about 3 or 4 weeks ago his and my allergies were going nuts in his room so I completely cleared everything out and pulled up the carpet specifically to check for mold?). We pulled up the carpet even further than I did the last time and.... yup... black mold in there too irked.gif  Now I'm just plain frustrated because when the leak happened a year ago we contacted the home builders (home was/still is under warranty) and they sent someone out to fix it. They assured us that there wouldn't be any mold issues because they dried everything out perfectly. And now there's mold. And I'm willing to bet there's likely mold in the wall and under the baseboards between those two rooms too (the mold in both rooms are in adjacent corners so I don't see how there isn't any mold under the baseboards or in the wall between those two moldy spots).

So dh has contacted the home builder, again, and we're waiting to see what they're going to do. This totally explains why ds and my allergies have been so horrible.

We pulled ds's mattress into our bedroom and he'll be sleeping in there until this is all fixed so hopefully his allergies start to get better. And now, of course, we have to replace the flooring in both those rooms. Right after we decided that we weren't going to duh.gif  There goes my fence in the backyard that I've wanted for so long gloomy.gif Oh well, as long as it gets fixed and everyone starts getting healthy again- I won't complain. And ds and the baby will get some beautiful new bamboo floor out of the deal lol.gif The funny thing is, we had just ordered this playmat for ds's room (ds picked it out) and this one for the baby's room, figuring we could put it on the carpet to brighten up the rooms a little. Guess it'll work on wood floors too (I hate rugs because they get bunched up and ds sets up elaborate train tracks in his room and the rug would just annoy the crud out of him).

#3 of 74 Old 05-31-2011, 09:18 AM

Steph - That is such a bummer about the mold! I hope your home builder will take some (or all) of the cost on in fixing the issue!

We went on our last vacation as a family of three this weekend. We went to Colorado Springs and stayed at the Broadmoor, which is just an amazing hotel. I really did not expect to be impressed, but was over and over.

However I think I overdid it on activity and maybe even eating because all day yesterday I felt sick and like I needed to go to the bathroom. I honestly thought it was just gas pain, but then I took a bath and when I got up to get out a fingernail sized piece of bright red mucos came out. Which of course freaked me out, because earlier I told DH that the gas pain was coming and going and what if it was contractions? (He told me it could be Braxton-Hicks, but this was pretty uncomfortable.) I checked my cervix and it was high and soft, and my finger came out perfectly clean.  I called my midwife who recommended another bath with Epsom salt, hydrating with elctrolytes, and rest, and told me to call if I had more contractions or any more blood. I did my best with resting (DS was in a rare mood and I was alone with him for a little bit while DH went to get the Epsom) and took another bath and went to bed and slept in a little this morning to make sure I was well rested. I still feel a little off today, but better and I really think I may have eaten something that just did not agree with me.

Luckly I already had my ultrasound scheduled for Wednesday (tommorrow!) so we will be able to make sure everything is looking good. I still have felt the baby move which is also reassuring.

Mama to DS (03/09) and DD (10/11) and married to the love of my life

#4 of 74 Old 05-31-2011, 09:19 AM

Wow Steph, that is completely gross and disturbing.  Shouldn't the warranty cover some of the cost of replacing the floor?  It's not like they can expect you to use the same carpet again!  

heartbeat.gif  Baby girl arrived 10/11/11 heartbeat.gif

#5 of 74 Old 05-31-2011, 11:48 AM

We had such a great Memorial Day weekend!

Today I'm 20 weeks, which is obviously super exciting.  On Sunday, DH and I celebrated the almost-halfway point by running a half-marathon on Sunday.  He raced, and I just ran, but surprisingly, felt amazing.  I'd done a 12 mile run 2 weeks before the race, but that is a long time in pregnancy-land, so I was expecting this to feel much harder.  I started out really slow, way in the back of the pack, and just really listened to my body.  I ate little Lara bar samples, and drank a ton of water.  During training runs, I always have to pee after 10 minutes, because Omee puts pressure on my bladder.  There wasn't any good trees or bushes I could sneak behind and pee, and I was feeling too good to wait in long lines for port-a-potties along the course, so I just kept going... baby would move and then relieve the pressure.  I felt AWESOME the second half of the race, and just started passing people, and running better and better.  My last 4 miles were my four fastest, and I ended up finishing at about 3,000 out of 5,000 runners, so I was really happy.  My time was 2:17:41, so about 10:30 per mile (versus my non-pregnant best of 1:37).  DH finished first, and then walked back to mile 12 to finish again with me.  When I saw him, I got all choked up thinking about how our whole family was running this race together.  We had such an awesome time. 

Afterwards, I had 2 bags of kettle potato chips, and chocolate milk, which were some of the best things I've ever tasted... oh yum, the salt!  Later in the afternoon, I had a most excellent nap too.

Also, per some earlier questions about at-home use of fetoscopes:  We have a fetoscope that I bought as part of my midwifery training.  I don't think it is as good as the ones my midwives have though. To use it, it has to be REALLY quiet- we have to shut the windows and turn off the ceiling fans and eliminate any outside ambient noise.  Also, my baby moves from anterior to posterior positions, and I think to get a good listen this early, it needs to be really towards the front, as close to the surface as possible.  With mine, I can feel when it is right there (because it is hard under my hand) versus further away, when my belly feels more squishy.  It helps to find the hard spots of where the baby is, and then try many different angles & positions.  When DH found it, he said he observed that the MW didn't press the piece to my skin at a perpendicular angle (not strait up and down)- she definitely went at it from the side.  So, he found that pressing in at a side angle made a difference.  I've heard HB's with a fetascope at women who were between 28-33 weeks, and it sounds almost like a vibrating hum- and about twice as fast as my HB.  We haven't tried to have DH listen to it again at home yet, but I tried by myself (without anything on the headpiece) and all I could hear was the baby moving around and bumping into things.  Good luck to all in your fetoscope adventures!

Amy, feathering our nest with sweet husband O and baby girl, P (October 2011). 
#6 of 74 Old 05-31-2011, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy May View Post
I felt AWESOME the second half of the race, and just started passing people, and running better and better.  My last 4 miles were my four fastest, and I ended up finishing at about 3,000 out of 5,000 runners, so I was really happy.  My time was 2:17:41, so about 10:30 per mile (versus my non-pregnant best of 1:37).  DH finished first, and then walked back to mile 12 to finish again with me.  When I saw him, I got all choked up thinking about how our whole family was running this race together.  We had such an awesome time.

bow.gif I bow down to you! I don't think I could run for 2 minutes, let alone 2 hours lol.gif  And the story about your dh just melts my heart. How sweet is he?!

I do have to say though, that I was thinking about you on Friday. I was at ds's school (a special Field Day where they have a bunch of games set up outside). He took off running (he has autism and is a runner so I have to give chase otherwise he'll run right into a road if I don't catch him). So, of course, I took off running after him and almost tackled him just to get him to stop. Apparently there were quite a few witnesses to this because I got a handful of people (former teachers of ds's and parents) "yelling" at me for chasing him and telling me that I shouldn't do that. Ummmm.... if my child is running towards a road I'm going to do everything in my power to stop it. Big belly and all. The baby in my belly is much better protected from me running than my 7 year old is protected from the cars flying down the road. In fact, I'm pretty sure the baby in my belly was loving it because this one moves NON-STOP! Sunburst probably thought Friday's run was a fun ride winky.gif

#7 of 74 Old 05-31-2011, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowdart View Post

Wow Steph, that is completely gross and disturbing.  Shouldn't the warranty cover some of the cost of replacing the floor?  It's not like they can expect you to use the same carpet again!  

We are certainly hoping so! And, for their sake, I hope they just agree to it while talking to dh because if *I* have to get involved in this it will not be pretty. *I* was the one in the house when they "fixed" it last time. *I* was the one that specifically brought up mold issues and was told it wouldn't be a problem. Darn right they're going to be fixing this the right way now! And there's no way we can use the same carpet or padding (the mold is on the padding, I don't know if it's made it's way to the under side of the carpet because I didn't look). It's going to have to be replaced, and if I have anything to do about it, the builder will be chipping in for some of the cost to replace it.

#8 of 74 Old 05-31-2011, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Steph - that's awful! I am glad however that you found it now before it makes any of you any sicker.

Amy May - good for you! I am NOT a runner. This body just is not made for speed but when I see someone who obviously is built for it I find them amazing to watch!

afm - I totally need to vent!!!! Dh & I just moved out to 88 acres with my mil. When she lived in the city she would trap squirrels that got into her birdfeeders & relocate them. It always drove me crazy but it was her house & we kind of just let it go. Before we moved here we made it CLEAR that there was to be NO trapping of squirrels over this ('cause we're in the country - it's a pointless endeavour!!!) - we even had another big discussion about it 1.5 weeks ago.  Well, she put out a birdfeeder (on a table so it's easily within reach of anyone who wants it) & a chipmunk has been getting into it. This afternoon I am sitting there & my dog suddenly goes crazy barking & she starts yelling at her. Then she tells me she trapped the chipmunk!!!! I picked up ds & brought the dogs inside immediately 'cause I knew if I stayed for even a second longer I would LOSE it on her. Oh, & where is the poor critter now - in the trap in the trunk of her car - where it is likely going to die 'cause it's crazy hot here today. Dh will be home soon so hopefully he can deal with this. AHHHHHHHH!!!!

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#9 of 74 Old 05-31-2011, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy May View Post

We had such a great Memorial Day weekend!

Today I'm 20 weeks, which is obviously super exciting.  On Sunday, DH and I celebrated the almost-halfway point by running a half-marathon on Sunday.  He raced, and I just ran, but surprisingly, felt amazing.

"Just" ran.....Girl...bow.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeguard View Post

afm - I totally need to vent!!!! Dh & I just moved out to 88 acres with my mil. When she lived in the city she would trap squirrels that got into her birdfeeders & relocate them. It always drove me crazy but it was her house & we kind of just let it go. Before we moved here we made it CLEAR that there was to be NO trapping of squirrels over this ('cause we're in the country - it's a pointless endeavour!!!) - we even had another big discussion about it 1.5 weeks ago.  Well, she put out a birdfeeder (on a table so it's easily within reach of anyone who wants it) & a chipmunk has been getting into it. This afternoon I am sitting there & my dog suddenly goes crazy barking & she starts yelling at her. Then she tells me she trapped the chipmunk!!!! I picked up ds & brought the dogs inside immediately 'cause I knew if I stayed for even a second longer I would LOSE it on her. Oh, & where is the poor critter now - in the trap in the trunk of her car - where it is likely going to die 'cause it's crazy hot here today. Dh will be home soon so hopefully he can deal with this. AHHHHHHHH!!!!

I am eternally grateful to be a minimum hour's drive from both our mothers.  I couldn't deal.  

I never manage to jump into these chat threads before they're pages long - this time I'm on it!  

I posted a thread about our serum test coming back with a slightly elevated chance of chrom. anomalies...so stressful.  I feel like it has been one thing after another this pregnancy, I just can't seem to settle in and relax!  How can these little people twist our hearts around so much before they're even born?  However, we will be able to find out the gender tomorrow at our ultrasound and that is very exciting.  I feel like it's a boy but would be thrilled with another girl as well.  I have been picking up very tiny gender neutral clothing because we weren't sure we would be able to find out the sex.  

Otherwise, we finally have some sun after months of rain.  We went to the playground today and wore shorts and hats (not winter hats for once!) and full-body sunscreen.  Ahhh coolshine.gif

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

#10 of 74 Old 05-31-2011, 05:24 PM
~pi

Woo-hoo, Amy May! Sounds like a great run. Congrats!

Steph, oh my goodness. What a nightmare. Good luck with that. As if you needed more stress, really.

Poodge, yikes! I hope all continues well. Nice to have an appointment already scheduled.

lifeguard, I suspect you may have the patience of a saint. Hang in there!

Katico, hugs again. Chances are very good that all is well. And hooray for sun!

AFM, I think I will find out tomorrow whether or not I still have a job offer that I'd quite like to hang onto. I haven't talked about it here because it's a public forum, but I interviewed for faculty positions all spring, not disclosing the pregnancy. Since the pregnancy was unplanned and academic hiring is an incredibly long cycle (I sent in my applications last fall, jobs would start this September), I just went ahead and did the interviews wherever I was short-listed, hoping that any place that wants to hire me would be willing to wait for a later start date. I now have two solid offers where they will wait until next year, giving me close to a year off between babe's arrival and starting an intense new job. I had been agonizingly waiting to hear from two more that are technically more prestigious positions. I did not get one of those, but did get the other, so broke the news about start date to potential new boss (PNB). PNB was very nice about it, but doesn't have final say, so I am talking to the person who does have final say tomorrow. GAH. On pins and needles here.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#11 of 74 Old 05-31-2011, 05:39 PM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~pi View Post
I think I will find out tomorrow whether or not I still have a job offer that I'd quite like to hang onto. I haven't talked about it here because it's a public forum, but I interviewed for faculty positions all spring, not disclosing the pregnancy. Since the pregnancy was unplanned and academic hiring is an incredibly long cycle (I sent in my applications last fall, jobs would start this September), I just went ahead and did the interviews wherever I was short-listed, hoping that any place that wants to hire me would be willing to wait for a later start date. I now have two solid offers where they will wait until next year, giving me close to a year off between babe's arrival and starting an intense new job. I had been agonizingly waiting to hear from two more that are technically more prestigious positions. I did not get one of those, but did get the other, so broke the news about start date to potential new boss (PNB). PNB was very nice about it, but doesn't have final say, so I am talking to the person who does have final say tomorrow. GAH. On pins and needles here.

Pi, I'm crossing all available things to cross, (fingers, toes, hair, the baby's fingers and toes, etc.) That is intense. It sounds like some congratulations are in order now, but I'll wait until hearing more to do my little happy dance. Very best of luck.

Tomorrow we (hopefully) find out boy or girl. I'm finally at 18 weeks so I hope the baby cooperates. Today I was standing with an arched back holding a baby and my friend commented that my stomach was sticking out so far that I might have twins. She then apologized and said her baby is making her sleep deprived and that she has no filter right now. So I forgave her. But I'm still writing about it here. :)

Making a March 9th sandwich with a Halloween filling.
#12 of 74 Old 05-31-2011, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeguard View Post
Then she tells me she trapped the chipmunk!!!! I picked up ds & brought the dogs inside immediately 'cause I knew if I stayed for even a second longer I would LOSE it on her. Oh, & where is the poor critter now - in the trap in the trunk of her car - where it is likely going to die 'cause it's crazy hot here today. Dh will be home soon so hopefully he can deal with this. AHHHHHHHH!!!!

Why in the world is she even trying to trap them?!? When you're out in the country, there's no point. You only trap/kill obviously rabid or seriously injured animals. Short of that, leave them be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katico View Post

I posted a thread about our serum test coming back with a slightly elevated chance of chrom. anomalies...so stressful.  I feel like it has been one thing after another this pregnancy, I just can't seem to settle in and relax!

(((HUGS))) I hope everything turns out well. Keep us updated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~pi View Post
PNB was very nice about it, but doesn't have final say, so I am talking to the person who does have final say tomorrow. GAH. On pins and needles here.

Good luck!! I'll be waiting for the update tomorrow!

On a totally different note..... I have a question for those who already have 2+ kids. If you had a hospital birth, what did you do with your older child? Specifically I'm trying to figure out if dh will stay in the hospital overnight with me/baby or go home to stay with ds. Our situation is a little unique in that ds has autism and any change in his routine is likely to upset him quite a bit. But the baby is dh's first bio-child and I think he would be heartbroken if he couldn't stay the night with the baby. Also, did you have your older kid(s) come to the hospital to pack up baby and bring baby home as a whole family or did you have the older kid(s) waiting at home for you to bring the baby home? DH and I plan on talking about all this tonight (we haven't talked about it yet) so I'm sure we'll come up with a plan, just curious what others did! The only thing I'm going to insist on is that while I'm in labor/delivery there is to be NOBODY at the hospital waiting (MIL, specifically). MIL/FIL will have ds at our house until we call and tell them the baby has been born and then they can bring ds to the hospital. DS will be the first one to come in the hospital room (MIL and FIL will have to go wait in the waiting room). When ds has had his time with the baby, then dh will go to the waiting room to get MIL/FIL to come see the baby. Everything else is negotiable. That is not though.

#13 of 74 Old 05-31-2011, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryS-F View Post

Tomorrow we (hopefully) find out boy or girl. I'm finally at 18 weeks so I hope the baby cooperates.

Good luck! We thought we wouldn't be able to tell because Sunburst kept the cord between his legs for almost the entire scan! The tech kept shaking my belly, pushing baby around, had me flip from side to side, etc. Finally the cord moved just enough to see the goods winky.gif

#14 of 74 Old 05-31-2011, 07:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Steph - none of us really understand why she does this 'cause we can all see it is totally pointless. Sometimes I think she is just a little crazy! We intend to have ds spend the night with my mom when I am in labour if I labour overnight. If I'm not actually in labour through the night I highly doubt dh will stay at the hospital. With our first birth it would have been very uncomfortable for him to try to sleep there & he went home. Of my friends irl I don't know anyone who's dh stayed overnight - quite frankly I'm not sure it's really welcomed by the hospitals here. Hopefully all goes well & we have a complication free vaginal birth so baby & I will both be released within 24 hours of the birth.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#15 of 74 Old 05-31-2011, 09:11 PM

lifeguard:  My dad actually SHOOTS squirrels.  With a rifle.  Out the window of the house.  duh.gif  I worked as a squirrel researcher for a couple of years, and I tried to explain that squirrels are territorial, so when he shoots one it only temporarily opens up a vacancy, and then another squirrel fills that void.  When I was visiting and looking after my then-five-month-old niece, he shot at starlings in a tree (which is a bit more understandable, as at least they are non-native, but still) with a shotgun, from the porch.  My niece (who was about 10 feet away, although inside the house) jumped almost out of her mom's arms and then cried inconsolably for about 45 minutes.  Unsurprisingly; my ears were still ringing for that long too.  And my dad is a smart guy.  Come on!  Anyway, I'm not trying to minimize the situation, I can imagine how frustrating that might be.  My dad keeps telling me how much I'm going to end up hating squirrels . . . funny, it hasn't happened yet in the two years I've lived here.  I accept what they do, and I don't take it personally.  I just wanted to commiserate as someone who understands about relatives getting a little crazy about small mammals.  And hopefully help you see the very slim bright side - at least she doesn't shoot them when your son isn't wearing hearing protection!  It ain't much, but it's something!

Steph:  Ack, black mold!  What a joke, they just "reassured" you that it wouldn't mold.  Probably knowing full well that it would but not wanting to go to the expense of really fixing it.  They really had better take care of it this time, for sure.  From your personality on here, I can imagine you in mama-tiger mode, and I don't think they'd want to see it.  Although they would certainly deserve whatever they got!

Pi:  Best of luck!  It sounds like you might be a very valuable commodity, what with the other two jobs willing to wait a year for you.  So I hope that carries over to the more prestigious position.

Rosemary:  I hope baby is cooperative!

Katico:  The slightly elevated chance is still VERY low, though, isn't it?  Not that I would be able to keep from worrying, but "slightly elevated" from incredibly low to very very low is still just very very low, right?

Amy May:  I'm glad your run was so invigorating.  It's nice to feel so alive, and the togetherness you felt must have been fantastic.

Poodge:  Sorry about the scare.  I'm glad you're feeling a bit better, and I'm really glad you can still feel baby move.  Every night I try to feel movement, but since this is my first I'm never really sure if I imagine the flutters or not.  In some ways that must really help alleviate worry.  Although I guess if movement didn't happen when you expected it, that would be even more worrying.  Anyway, here's hoping it was mild food poisoning (that's a very strange wish for someone)!  I'm glad you have an ultrasound right away for reassurance.

AFM:  Wow, I just responded to everyone (Hi Yellowdart!) who posted on the chat thread.  I must have been having a lazy day . . . oh well, it's nice to catch up a bit here.  Yesterday was quite exciting enough, I woke up to find my first-ever ewe lamb dead (she was five days old) and an hour later watched my second-ever lamb being born.  I then hung out with the sheep for a bunch of hours waiting to make sure she passed the placenta, because the bad start to the day had left me paranoid.  And I had a fail of a conversation in which I was so distracted by what was going on at the farm that I failed to show my compassion for someone else's situation - I felt it but didn't manage to convey it at all.  Sigh.  Anyway, other than burying the lamb, I didn't do much today except cook and socialize with good friends.  Which is enough, some days.  Tomorrow I will be busy to make up for it, but that's okay.

On a farm with our kiddo (nearly 2), two dogs, two cats, ten goats, two donkeys, nine sheep, a bunch of chickens, and a husband (in the winters). We have another on the way!
#16 of 74 Old 05-31-2011, 09:19 PM

Steph that makes no sense at all!  Poor chipmunk!

Amy May - wow - I can't even STAND for 2 hours without belly pain. You go!

Katico- I'll be thinking of you tomorrow.

Pi - good luck!

AFM, I go back for another ultrasound later this week. They said they couldn't see everything the first time, which I think is true, but I'm still slightly paranoid that she saw something...  Anyway, we're hoping to find out the sex for sure. I had a dream last night that it was a boy and he looked nothing like me or DH and it was very weird. I thought I was having a boy at first, but I'm becoming more convinced it's a girl. 

DD has never spent a night away from us, but I imagine we'll have her stay with my parents while I'm in labor. I want to do a test run sometime this summer. The logistics of it seem overwhelming - how will they get the car seat? DH won't stay in the hospital unless there's a good reason. I think it will be hard enough on DD to have all this newness without extra time away from both parents. Did I mention she's kind of super-into me?  And she'll be starting a new preschool in the fall? And she still isn't potty trained? And she's back sleeping in our bed full-time? I have no idea how we're going to manage all this change without completely freaking her out. Ack!

Oh, and yes, I did just leave the house at 10:30pm on a school night because we were out of ice cream shy.gif

#17 of 74 Old 05-31-2011, 09:43 PM
~pi

Thank you all for the kind wishes. Still freaking out here, but at least I should know soon!

Rosemary, that's so exciting!! I hope that the babe is cooperative!

Hykue, hugs. That's a tough day. I have so been there with feeling the emotion but not showing it. Ugh. Sorry about the lamb.

Re: older kids, may I just say duh.gif? Did. Not. Even. Think. About. This. Which is completely stupid, because I was in the hospital for 6 days with DS for pete's sake. I had thought about who would care for DS for an afternoon/evening, but hadn't even thought about say, a few days. Good grief, where is my brain? THANK YOU for bringing it up, Steph. I might have been that woman heading to the hospital and then having a sudden, very sinking realization ...

#18 of 74 Old 05-31-2011, 10:09 PM

Hi Mamas! i just read through everything and feel caught up. I'm feeling overwhelmed and don't have the energy to respond to everyone but know I'm thinking of you.

I'm really feeling DH's absence more then ever right now. He leaves for long trips every summer but I'm not usually pregnant and toddler Mama! On top of that one of my dogs spent the night puking because she ate an entire pack of ponytail holders. I was out in the yard at 1am with a flash light to see if she was puking more up. So far only a handful have reappeared despite the dozen or so times she puked. Ugh! I can't decide if I should be mad or feel sorry for her. Mostly I'm mad! She puked all over the carpet while I was putting DD to bed last night too. We now own a carpet shampooer! Still over a week before DH gets home. I'll be so glad to get him here!

I think I need to book a massage for when he's back. Around this time with my last pregnancy my hips really started bothering me and they stayed painful until I started doing a regular yoga practice again about 6 months ago. I'm starting to feel it again. I'm still doing yoga but it doesn't seem to be enough to keep the pain at bay. I think regular massage might be needed here! Is anyone seeing a chiropractor? I've been wondering if that is something worth trying too. I've never been to one before so don't really know if hip pain is something they deal with. Let me know what you think because that at least would be partially covered by insurance which would be great.

Our little bean is moving so much these days. I'm feeling stonger and stronger kicks which makes me so happy. I'm still worried about her heart but hoping it was just a matter of not getting a good view. Her increased movements and stronger kicking make me feel better though. We don't have another U/S to recheck her heart until the 13th. Seems a long ways off but I didn't want to do it without DH.

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#19 of 74 Old 05-31-2011, 11:16 PM

I've been MIA.  Just working lots, son's tee ball games, and just plain tired.  Feeling fabulous and all that jazz, just tired.  About to go to bed now...

But exciting news- Found out my fetus has a penis!  WOOT!  So we're having a Matthew Evan in Sept/Oct!  <3

248007_2109977435666_1432518943_2507117_2431261_n.jpg

246764_2109973475567_1432518943_2507108_7575267_n.jpg
252899_2109974275587_1432518943_2507110_545791_n.jpg
249824_2109974795600_1432518943_2507112_1475996_n.jpg

Amy Lynn, Loving wife stillheart.gifand mom to 3 sweethearts. Christopher (8/06), Katherine (10/08), and Matthew (09/11).  2 time VBAC Momma and NCB & BFing advocate.

#20 of 74 Old 06-01-2011, 06:18 AM

NDFanatik - Look at those sweet pictures!! The little foot and profile!!  heartbeat.gif

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

#21 of 74 Old 06-01-2011, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter

Great pictures! What a cutie!

DH and I talked about everything with how we're going to handle ds and labor/delivery/recovery. I think we've got a tentative plan, but everything depends- of course- on what time of day/night this little one decides to make his appearance (as well as whether it's a school day for ds or a weekend)!

- DS will stay at our house with MIL and FIL while I'm in labor. Nobody will be allowed at the hospital while I am in labor or delivering at all. Anyone who even attempts to (AKA- one overbearing MIL comes to mind) will be kicked out immediately (we will let the nurses know that we want no visitors).

- After the baby is born and cleaned up and everything we will call ds and tell him. MIL/FIL will bring him to the hospital and go to the waiting room. DH will go get ds from the waiting room and leave his parents there. DS will get time with the baby and me before MIL/FIL are invited into the room.

- After the baby is born, but before we are discharged, DH will be making a point to spend a lot of time with ds (as long as the baby and I are recovering fine). Depending on what day the baby is born, dh says he might let ds play hooky from school the next day and have a dad/son day together so that we can ensure ds continues to feel special and not just pushed to the back corner.

- DH will likely spend the night at home, with ds, or do a combination (get ds settled into bed then call his dad to come over for a couple hours while dh comes back to the hospital, then dh will go back home for the overnight hours, then come back to the hospital in the morning).

I am honestly shocked at dh's reactions to my questions. I thought for sure dh would want to be at the hospital the whole time and not leave the baby's side. But dh said that he had been thinking about it a lot lately and he realizes that ds will need him a lot during that time to maintain some sort of normalcy in his life since I won't be able to. He recognizes that the baby will be fine in my care (and the nurses will be around to help) and that ds will remember this time a whole lot more than the baby will. And that right there is one reason I married this man love.gif

#22 of 74 Old 06-01-2011, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, and update on the mold issue. So, dh called the home builder and told them what was going on. They said they would contact him in a day or two. Which means I will be calling them today and completely b*tching them out because I'm really p*ssed off at this point. Since we disturbed the carpet in both of the rooms, both ds and my issues have gotten a hundred times worse. DS's cough is horrible now, to the point of waking him up several times a night now. He's all congested and not even his allergy meds are helping. His eyes are all red and swollen most of the time. I am having nose bleeds constantly (at least 2 times a day, sometimes more), coughing up junk, congested, headaches. DS has RAD (respiratory airway disease) so it really is not a joking matter (not to mention the fact I'm pregnant and I'm sure it's not too healthy for the baby).

I plan on calling them when they open and giving them two choices- they can send someone out here TODAY to clean up the mold and cut up the wall to check for more mold and do a THOROUGH job, or they can start paying for a hotel for us. Wish me luck!

#23 of 74 Old 06-01-2011, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mini update.... I am impressed, now, with this company. Not only did they send some people out immediately (it's not even noon here and they've been here for about 45 minutes) but they sent the manager out too. So they took the baseboards off and everything there was completely dry and mold free. So they cut a section of the wall out and that, too, was dry and mold free. They went up to the attic and looked down into the area inbetween the walls and didn't see any mold. So it's looking like, thankfully, the mold is contained to just an area under the padding/carpet in the 2 rooms and a little on the tack strip. So they are up there right now cleaning it all up and applying their chemicals and stuff. All the carpet, padding and tack strips will be pulled up and replaced with hardwood flooring. Thankfully they can also see that we haven't gotten any new water in the area (the place they sealed last time is still sealed tight and nothing is wet) so it's definitely residual from the leak that they fixed, and they admitted this.

Yay for actually getting things done! Don't mess with the hormonal pregnant woman who is also in mama bear protective mode lol.gif

#24 of 74 Old 06-01-2011, 10:09 AM

Steph - Fantastic!  Yay!!  Now you can get your yard fenced too, right?  

heartbeat.gif  Baby girl arrived 10/11/11 heartbeat.gif

#25 of 74 Old 06-01-2011, 11:42 AM

Steff! That is a great outcome! yeah!

I've been worried about what to do with DD during labor and delivery as well. My mom is coming and will hopefully arrive in time to be in charge of her. As much as I want my mom at the birth my biggest concern is really having DD taken care of.  It's hard to know though because she has to fly here from out of state. Also, weather delays flying here are very common. It's not a guarantee that she'll make it.  We have a family friend that babysits for us from time to time and will be doing so more regularly this summer. She's in high school though. I'm going to ask her mom how she feels about letting her skip school to watch DD if we need her. I think she might be OK with it but she travels a lot in the fall for cross country. I don't really have a great solution at this point and that stresses me out. We do plan to be home for most of the labor which will be good. I live only 3 minutes from the hospital.  DH will certainly come home and spend the night with DD rather then stay with us at the hospital if we end up staying overnight. I'm hoping to avoid an overnight stay though if possible. We'll just have to see.

On another note, we signed up for a childbirth class. We weren't sure we were going to but this class is geared towards natural childbirth and we figured it would help get us in the right mindset.  We started the series with DD but she was born after only 3 classes!

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#26 of 74 Old 06-01-2011, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowdart View Post

Steph - Fantastic!  Yay!!  Now you can get your yard fenced too, right?  

Probably not, unfortunately. The builders did all the clean-up work but we have to pay for the new flooring. MIL has offered to pay a good portion of the flooring costs (which makes me shudder because I know it'll come at an emotional cost) and dh is going to take her up on it. After things settle down we'll see if we can do the fence too. We were originally going to redo the flooring in our master bedroom too but I think that's on hold for now. The most important thing is the 2 boys rooms and then we'll decide later what else to do.

#27 of 74 Old 06-01-2011, 01:22 PM

I just wanted to vent about the difficulty of finding plausible information about use of herbs during pregnancy.  I looked at a few scholarly articles online (not that I can look at most of them since I'm not a subscriber to the journals, nor am I at a university), and could find almost no information about use of nettle during pregnancy.  And I got to have the lovely experience of reading the sentence, "An effect on the uterus has been reported in mice, so theoretically, nettle preparations should not be used in pregnancy."  Bah!  That's like saying, "An effect on the heart has been reported in mice, so theoretically, EXERCISE should not be used by ATHLETES."  Come on! 

And I never did find one peer-reviewed source for any potential negative effect of nettle tea during pregnancy.  The closest I found was a peer-reviewed article that listed nettle on a long table of herbs, and said it was an emenagogue (or however you spell that) and uterine stimulant.  The source?  Three books, none of them peer-reviewed.  In other words, no studies have been done, or at least none that I can find.  Which I guess isn't all that surprising - who would fund it?

Anyway, I think I'll just drink it anyway, in moderation.  I know it's rich in a lot of vitamins and minerals, and I can collect it for free (as long as I wear gloves) while walking my dogs.  RRL too, although the second article I discussed didn't have as much negative to say about RRL and did tentatively say a few positive things.  Also, I can freeze the spent leaves into muffin tins and save them for my goats when they're pregnant next year.

I forgot how frustrated I got last time I tried to search for actual studies or anything data-based about herbs.  Oh well.

On a farm with our kiddo (nearly 2), two dogs, two cats, ten goats, two donkeys, nine sheep, a bunch of chickens, and a husband (in the winters). We have another on the way!
#28 of 74 Old 06-01-2011, 01:41 PM

Hi ladies - hoping to get to know you a bit by jumping into this thread.

That mold issue was seriously scary - so glad it's being cleaned up now!

About who will care for our son when baby is born - our baby-friendly hospital encourages the fathers to room-in with the mothers for the whole time (48 hours), so DH stayed the whole time when DS was born. This time around, MIL is driving here from Alberta with her boyfriend the month before as a road-trip, and will arrive at our house about a week before baby is due. We've renovated a room in the basement so that they have their own space, and they will watch DS at our house (luckily DS knows her and will have time to re-familiarize himself with her). I told DH I'd like him to go home at night so that he is there when DS wakes up in the morning at least. Exactly how our days go will depend on when labour starts and baby is born. DS is allowed to visit me at the hospital during the daytime, but other visitors are restricted to hours of about 5-8 I think (yay!).

Amy, mom to E superhero.gifsince April 2008 and C babyboy.gif since October 2011, wife to P since September 2006.

#29 of 74 Old 06-01-2011, 02:00 PM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

It's a girl! I am so happy about it.

Making a March 9th sandwich with a Halloween filling.
#30 of 74 Old 06-01-2011, 02:26 PM
~pi

CONGRATULATIONS, Rosemary!!!

Welcome, Amy!

Steph, glad it was mostly covered!

Update on job: They really want me, but they also don't feel they can wait a year. They asked if I would be willing to start part-time, say when babe would be 4 months. If it were local, that might be doable, but it involves a big move and/or travel on my part. Lots of thinking to do here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hykue View Post

I just wanted to vent about the difficulty of finding plausible information about use of herbs during pregnancy.  I looked at a few scholarly articles online (not that I can look at most of them since I'm not a subscriber to the journals, nor am I at a university), and could find almost no information about use of nettle during pregnancy.  And I got to have the lovely experience of reading the sentence, "An effect on the uterus has been reported in mice, so theoretically, nettle preparations should not be used in pregnancy."  Bah!  That's like saying, "An effect on the heart has been reported in mice, so theoretically, EXERCISE should not be used by ATHLETES."  Come on! 

And I never did find one peer-reviewed source for any potential negative effect of nettle tea during pregnancy.  The closest I found was a peer-reviewed article that listed nettle on a long table of herbs, and said it was an emenagogue (or however you spell that) and uterine stimulant.  The source?  Three books, none of them peer-reviewed.  In other words, no studies have been done, or at least none that I can find.  Which I guess isn't all that surprising - who would fund it?

Anyway, I think I'll just drink it anyway, in moderation.  I know it's rich in a lot of vitamins and minerals, and I can collect it for free (as long as I wear gloves) while walking my dogs.  RRL too, although the second article I discussed didn't have as much negative to say about RRL and did tentatively say a few positive things.  Also, I can freeze the spent leaves into muffin tins and save them for my goats when they're pregnant next year.

I forgot how frustrated I got last time I tried to search for actual studies or anything data-based about herbs.  Oh well.

It isn't about funding, though that's part of it, and not necessarily what you would think, either. (It's actually not as hard to get funding for herbal research as it is for some other things. The supplements industry is big money and there is a lot of public support for CAM research so both CIHR and NIH have money for it, etc.) It's primarily about the research climate and pregnancy. It's very hard to get any sort of drug/supplement trial through ethics when pregnant women are involved. You may also need significantly more money for recruitment to get enough participants to make the study worth doing. Basically, the only trials you see coming out for supplements and pregnancy are things like vitamin D supplementation, fish oil, etc. In other words, stuff where there are tons of observational data from the general population, followed by trials in the general population, then observational data from pregnant women, then careful Phase I & II trials, then a tiny Phase III trial, and so on. Basically, if you really lay down the groundwork, you can do research to look for evidence of benefit in things that have potential to be universally useful, but not to look for evidence of harm in things that are currently only used by a fraction of the population, and even then, not in a controlled way.

I don't do pharma research, but I know people who do, and I also know that this is a major, major issue in bioethics. There have been increasing numbers of articles in recent years talking about what a problem it is that so many trials (and even cohort studies!) explicitly exclude pregnant women, because it results in exactly what you point out: it means we have no data. We cannot say whether it's harmful, helpful, or neutral. Awesome. Thanks for protecting pregnant women, ethics boards. rolleyes.gif

FYI, I'm sure you know that if you want to make the trip to U of R or U of S, you ought to be able to use their library. (I don't know where you are, but I suspect U of S will have a better one.) More useful to know might be that you can always call Motherisk rather than doing the search yourself. You have to pay the long distance changes to Toronto, but otherwise it's free. I've called them a couple of times over the years for pregnancy/breastfeeding related questions. (And I do have institutional access to journals. I just know that it's way faster to call someone who knows the appropriate MeSH terms, regularly uses certain specialized databases and indices, and can do a thorough but also fast search. I also try very hard not to go to primary sources for my own health concerns, because I know what a patchwork I can end up with when I don't have strong background knowledge of the area.)

Anyway, one of my Motherisk calls was about an ingredient in a herbal tea, and the answer I got for that one was that we really don't have a lot of data on it, but there are a lot of data to suggest that it's really quite difficult to get enough of anything in a tea to have a harmful effect. (To me, this also means that it's hard to get enough in a tea to have a helpful effect.)

Loved the athletes analogy, by the way. biglaugh.gif

And hey, if you really care about this issue, do feel free to inform your MP that you would like to see funding for the national agencies maintained or increased in the upcoming budget. I'm willing to bet that rural SK MPs don't think their constituents care that much about NSERC and CIHR. Independent research only happens when independent researchers can get funding. That funding has been chipped away at over decades, so more and more research has to go through industry sponsorship, which is not always bad, but it does mean that decisions about what questions get asked and answered have a whole different layer to the decision making.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page