Had my U/S *finally*! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-07-2011, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I feel like the last to have theirs done! Both babies were cooperative, but took a little prodding for them to show the goods. I was surprised it only took a little over an hour to get done.

Baby A is a GIRL stork-girl.gifjoy.gif !

Baby B is a BOY stork-boy.gifjoy.gif !

There are issues with both though. The girl might possibly have clubbed feet, but the way they talked, they seemed pretty sure about it. The boy had fluid around his kidneys, which the Dr. said if it grows, it might be an indicator for Downs Syndrome. We've declined all testing up to this point, but the Dr. mentioned getting an amnio done if we want to know for sure.

So, I wasn't expecting any bad news. Just more for me to worry about now. I'll be having another scan in a month, and probably one monthly til the end of the pregnancy. I see my Dr. at the end of the month for a routine appointment.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2011, 04:38 PM

Mollie- one of each how fun!! Sorry you got worrisome news though :( Hopefully the issues will have resolved themselves by the next ultrasound. And your not the last..my ultrasound is Thursday and it feels like i have been waiting FOREVER!!

Holly intactlact.giffambedsingle2.giffly-by-nursing1.gifsingle mom to 4.5...hoping for a homebirth.jpg this time.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:27 PM

Exciting about the boy & girl!  Sorry you got worrying news, though hug2.gif

Hopefully the month will go by quickly and your next scan will be reassuring.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:37 PM

Congratulations on your boy and girl!

I'm sorry you have worrisome news, also.  We found a kidney issue in our ultrasound as well, and such a big part of me wants to just not worry about it... but my midwife seems more inclined to really follow up.  I'm conflicted.  In any case, I hope your next ultrasound brings better news!

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

Old 06-07-2011, 08:52 PM
~pi

Congratulations!!!

For what it's worth, my (admittedly limited) understanding is that fluid around the kidneys is a somewhat common thing, and while it can be a sign of a problem, it can also be nothing. DS had it once in utero and that's what the peri told me. I hope you get reassuring news next time!

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

Old 06-07-2011, 09:34 PM

Congrats on your boy and girl!

I hope you can find answers and peace in the next little bit. No matter what happens, those are your babies and you will love them with every fiber of your being love.gif

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

Old 06-07-2011, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all! I hope everything turns out fine. It's hard to not worry though. I hope this month goes by fast!

Old 06-08-2011, 06:55 AM

perfect! boy girl twins seems sooo awesome!

Is it the boy with fluid around the kidneys? ds had it too...when I googled it, it seemed more common for boys than girls...if it is the same thing started with a p...will google for you so you can see if it is the same...brb...

could not find it will check my old posts from when ds was abay after work...

mom to ds '07 first day of a new year, dd '09 in the caul, and  ds '11 at home Oct 24th

Old 06-08-2011, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saoirse2007 View Post

perfect! boy girl twins seems sooo awesome!

Is it the boy with fluid around the kidneys? ds had it too...when I googled it, it seemed more common for boys than girls...if it is the same thing started with a p...will google for you so you can see if it is the same...brb...

could not find it will check my old posts from when ds was abay after work...

Yes, it was both boy's kidneys that had the fluid. I didn't get a name for what it's called.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:32 AM

Congratulations on the boy and girl! I am sorry about the not good news.

Mama to DS (03/09) and DD (10/11) and married to the love of my life

Old 06-08-2011, 02:34 PM

The ultrasound report I was given concerning fluid on the kidneys called it "bilateral hydronephrosis".  I was also told it *could* be nothing.  They don't even diagnose it in a birthed baby unless it's 10mm.  (My baby boy's were measured at 5 and 6mm at our 20wk u/s.)  As I was told, if it doesn't go away, it may just lead to more infections than normal, and potential eventual kidney damage.  Of course I'm not happy with that, but at least it's something you can monitor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama~Love View Post

Yes, it was both boy's kidneys that had the fluid. I didn't get a name for what it's called.

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

Old 06-08-2011, 03:16 PM

for ds it was the tube that empited into or emptied the bladder. it got rechecked by u/s at approx 34 weeks and then shortly after birth. no issues after birth :)

mom to ds '07 first day of a new year, dd '09 in the caul, and  ds '11 at home Oct 24th

Old 06-10-2011, 09:37 AM

Yay for one of each Mollie!

I'm so sorry the whole visit wasn't great news. I feel like U/S often reveal potential issues that are nothing. My sister had "issues" in her ultrasounds with bother her boys, (one was I think what you described, the other they thought may have downs or something). They are both perfect. 

How are you feeling- physically and emotionally?

Old 06-10-2011, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for all of the support! I'm really hoping that these issues turn out to be nothing. I have another scan on July 12th. Seems like forever & a day away.

Physically, I feel like a whale. It's already getting hard to move around. I feel so huge! I'm having Braxton Hicks if I'm walking around too much.

Emotionally, I'm a mess. Between this news and the depression I've already been suffering from, I'm miserable. I know I worry too much, I know I'm pessimistic by nature. I just wish I could be happy. This is more than likely my last pregnancy, which adds to the depression. But I just can't imagine going through this again. I worry that something's still going to go wrong, or that I'll have a traumatic delivery. Everything I ever felt about pregnancy has changed since I had my miscarriage. I have no faith in my body anymore. I can't believe how naive I used to be about it with my other pregnancies. I was so confident everything would be fine, and it was. I just don't have that feeling anymore.

I haven't really bonded with the babies yet. I feel so guilty about that too. I'm still afraid I might lose one or both still, even though it's very unlikely. It hasn't sunk in yet that in less than 5 months I'll be having *2* newborns. I'm also scared that I will be overwhelmed and unable to take care of them. I also worry that DH will make me go back to work soon after delivery. I guess that's what worries me most. I couldn't bear leaving them when they're still so little when I know he would be completely incapable of taking care of them. He's always been nervous when they're so little - how the hell does he think he'll be able to take care of 2??? I'm afraid he will just let them cry, without trying to comfort them. The thought is too much to think about right now.

I'm also stressed out with working fulltime now. I work from 2pm-10pm, M-F. DH works 6am-2pm, and gets up at 4:30. He doesn't even try to be quiet, and I end up waking up around 5am to him banging dishes around & being noisy. I never get enough rest. I'm always so tired. I almost fell asleep at work last night greensad.gif .

I don't know what to do. I'm so overwhelmed, so stressed out, I don't know how much more I can take.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:51 PM

(hugs) momma. I'm so sorry about your struggles right now. If it makes you feel any better, I'm terrified about having another and not sure I've done any boding either. It sounds like you are working too much. Do you know how long you'll be working? You sound like you need some good old fashion R&R. Hope you can relax and enjoy this next month even though I'm sure you are stricken with worry. The kidney thing is common from what I understand though. (big hug).

Momma to DS (2/08) and #2 due 10/11.

Old 06-11-2011, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutucrazy View Post

(hugs) momma. I'm so sorry about your struggles right now. If it makes you feel any better, I'm terrified about having another and not sure I've done any boding either. It sounds like you are working too much. Do you know how long you'll be working? You sound like you need some good old fashion R&R. Hope you can relax and enjoy this next month even though I'm sure you are stricken with worry. The kidney thing is common from what I understand though. (big hug).

I'll be working for as long as I'm able to, up til delivery if I can. I can't afford to take any time off or quit. I wish DH would realize how hard this is on me, he doesn't get it, despite me telling him almost daily how stressed out I am. As long as he doesn't have to get another job, he doesn't really care. Finding time to relax is damn near impossible, there's always so much that needs to get done, so much I need to plan and worry about (like money & bills).

Old 06-12-2011, 12:03 PM

ugh.

I just wrote a HUGE response and accidently deleted it.

wah. here is the abbreviated version:

first- your posts nearly made me cry.

Mollie, sounds like DH needs to get with the program and be more sympathetic to what you're going through. Can you have an open chat without defensiveness? working full time + pregnant with twins and I'm at the end of my rope, and I don't have 6 children to care for! Plus, my hubby has been amazingly helpful and supportive of my sitting on my bum for extended periods of time since I'm so, so tired. I can't imagine what you're doing right now. Working til 10?

eek!!!!

Have you spoken with your doctor about being down in the dumps? I know when things are hard and the downward spiral starts, everything goes down. Getting help to turn that around could help everything you're dealing with- I know I've gone through times when it did for me. Did you talk about ways to help deal with it? Even taking unisom to sleep better or something? It's commonly used for nausea during pregnancy and has been used for 50 years, so that makes me feel better! 

Good good good luck. You're in my thoughts and prayers and feel free to PM me if you want to talk about SSRIs and what my doc said.

User Tag List