What do you do when you do NOT want to eat what you are supposed to eat? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 06-13-2011, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all,

I'd just like to take the temperature of you all on this question: What do you do when you don't want to eat (I mean, reaaallllly don't want to eat) what you are supposed to eat?

Early on I went through 6 different kinds of vitamins because no matter what I did, they wouldn't stay down.  I turned the lights down low, I bribed myself with cookies, I had plenty of water, I did it in the morning and at night, after meals and during, and no cigar.  It was a stressful, messy, gross time.  I finally found a liquid vitamin and while it's still not fun, the daily terror is gone.

Now it's fish (and a few other things, but fish is my biggest problem). I actually like fish, kinda a lot, in my non-pregnant state.  Now however, the idea of eating fish (or of taking that DHA capsule) causes a whole body physical reaction.  Stomach flips, chills, headache and general YUCK, NO.  I tried to wait it out but it's been about 6 weeks now and I know my baby needs it, so last night I didn't put up with it anymore and made myself eat some very nice salmon (from a neutral observer position of course.  My husband said it was cooked perfectly and absolutely delicious).  My body is still mad at me this morning.  (And perhaps coincidentally, but perhaps not, I had some terrifying dreams last night-- a person I trusted kept setting me on fire.) 

Does anyone else have this? Not the-- "eh, boring!" reaction to good-for-you foods, but they "Oh Hell No."  reaction.  And what do you do about it? 

I feel like I'm arguing with a 2 year old.  Generally, I think my body is very smart, but it's pretty clear that DHA is important for baby development. 

#2 of 24 Old 06-13-2011, 10:48 AM

I feel like my body hates healthy foods now. I hate my prenatals, even the gummy ones. I think they taste like fish and never want to take them. If they tasted like bacon I would be all for them though!

joy.gif:Mommy to Lennon Elizabeth 11/27/09 and somebody new, due 10/08joy.gif:

#3 of 24 Old 06-13-2011, 11:27 AM

I think there has to be a middle ground, somewhere. Would I ever advocate eating chips and cookies ONLY for the entire 9 months? No. But if your body doesn't want fish, then it doesn't want fish. If you can stomach a piece of grilled chicken breast instead of fish, why torture yourself? I don't subscribe to the whole "everything has to be done perfectly or my baby is going to have serious defects/disabilities/whatever". It just doesn't happen that way.

Relax. Eat what sounds good and try to balance it with healthy foods (fruits, veggies, diary, protein, etc).

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#4 of 24 Old 06-13-2011, 02:14 PM

Ugh, yeah I definitely have been struggling with this. Certain foods (often things I loved before getting pregnant) just trigger an instant gag reflex and it's all I can do to choke down a few mouthfuls. I'm trying to relax about it and accept that there are just some things that my body won't tolerate right now, so instead I just try to find other foods that I CAN eat that fill that specific dietary need. I totally agree with StephandOwen that if you really can't stomach it, don't torture yourself...there are other things you can eat that will provide similar benefits. Plus, if you're forcing something down only to throw it back up again, you're not really getting much nutrition out of it anyway, you know?

By the way, for DHA specifically, I drink organic milk that is fortified with it...not as good a source as salmon, but every little bit helps, right? I don't know if you're having issues with ALL the fish you've tried to eat or just salmon, but if you can tolerate white fish then I'd give trout a try, since it is usually very low in toxins/mercury/yucky stuff and high in the same kinds of nutrients as salmon, and usually has a very mild flavor (I've been having a similar "yuck" reaction to salmon, but have found that the trout DH and I have been hauling out of the river goes down nicely).

Head over heels for DHjoy.gif bonus mama to super sweet DSS (10/9)superhero.gif and mama to DD (10/11)loveeyes.gif! nocirc.gif  sewmachine.gif  goorganic.jpg

#5 of 24 Old 06-13-2011, 06:43 PM

I love fish normally especially salmon and its been a no go for me as well this pregnancy.  I haven't been forcing myself because I feel that my diet is otherwise very balanced and healthy.    But, good on you for trying!

#6 of 24 Old 06-13-2011, 07:59 PM
~pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by puente View Post

Hi all,

I'd just like to take the temperature of you all on this question: What do you do when you don't want to eat (I mean, reaaallllly don't want to eat) what you are supposed to eat?

Early on I went through 6 different kinds of vitamins because no matter what I did, they wouldn't stay down.  I turned the lights down low, I bribed myself with cookies, I had plenty of water, I did it in the morning and at night, after meals and during, and no cigar.  It was a stressful, messy, gross time.  I finally found a liquid vitamin and while it's still not fun, the daily terror is gone.

Now it's fish (and a few other things, but fish is my biggest problem). I actually like fish, kinda a lot, in my non-pregnant state.  Now however, the idea of eating fish (or of taking that DHA capsule) causes a whole body physical reaction.  Stomach flips, chills, headache and general YUCK, NO.  I tried to wait it out but it's been about 6 weeks now and I know my baby needs it, so last night I didn't put up with it anymore and made myself eat some very nice salmon (from a neutral observer position of course.  My husband said it was cooked perfectly and absolutely delicious).  My body is still mad at me this morning.  (And perhaps coincidentally, but perhaps not, I had some terrifying dreams last night-- a person I trusted kept setting me on fire.) 

Does anyone else have this? Not the-- "eh, boring!" reaction to good-for-you foods, but they "Oh Hell No."  reaction.  And what do you do about it? 

I feel like I'm arguing with a 2 year old.  Generally, I think my body is very smart, but it's pretty clear that DHA is important for baby development

Two quick points:

1. Look at the effects sizes for this. They are compelling, but not, "Oh my goodness, my baby will not develop without additional DHA."

2. There are other sources besides fish. Supplements, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, eggs, etc.

Personally, I'm a fish lover when not pregnant, but went off it both pregnancies. Just cannot look at it. However, fish oil is fine for me (Carlson's lemon is a fave in our house -- DH says it's like drinking sunshine) as are nuts, seeds and eggs, all of which also have other nutritional benefits as well.

I make myself choke things down if I have to, but it's pretty rare that I actually have to. There are usually alternatives.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#7 of 24 Old 06-13-2011, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the great alternative suggestions, ~pi and LaBruja.  I totally fell for my HMO's childbirth instructor's schtick that fish was the Only Option.  She also said that pregnant women shouldn't drink mineral water (because the carbonation affects phosphorus) or eat watermelon (because of the sugar content).   I really should have thought again about the fish, since she's obviously a bit compulsive.   Just goes to show I need to be more careful what I expose myself to, because those negative or all-or-nothing ideas can pop up in very unfortunate ways.

(By the way, I left that class, went directly to the grocery story at 9 PM, and bought an entire watermelon (they didn't have personal size, I'm talking BIG).  I was annoyed enough at her to eat two big chunks that night before I went to bed.  Yes, I know my revenge eating wasn't hurting her, but really?  It wasn't hurting me or my little one either.)

And thanks to everyone for the empathy.  It is so, so nice not to be alone.

#8 of 24 Old 06-13-2011, 10:04 PM
~pi

Quote:

or eat watermelon (because of the sugar content).

That's kind of a strange one to focus on. Watermelon is quite low sugar as fruit goes. I wonder what she thinks about grapes and cherries!

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#9 of 24 Old 06-14-2011, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~pi View Post

That's kind of a strange one to focus on. Watermelon is quite low sugar as fruit goes. I wonder what she thinks about grapes and cherries!

I'm sure cherries are pure demon food.  wink1.gif

The first time I heard this woman speak I left the class crying because I was obviously going to be a hateful, horrible mother because of some the things I was not doing that were "ABSOLUTELY KEY to my baby's health and very survival."  More recently, she told someone in class that while you can't get women to take care of themselves, you can make them do anything if you say it affects their baby.  A little insight into her power-hungry psyche.  Why do people need to boss pregnant ladies?  We're really, really trying. 

#10 of 24 Old 06-14-2011, 06:53 PM

As long as you're not eating only pure junk (which in my book would include soda, candy, chips, etc) i wouldn't worry about it.  I was eating SO healthy until about 20-22 weeks when I started to deteriorate.  I started craving ice (this happens to me when I'm pregnant-- I think it qualifies as pica) and suddenly went into ultra-picky mode.  I am normally a picky eater but at my worst I will only eat 3 or 4 things without having to force it.  Right now I will only eat rye bread, nuts, and orange juice (and ice of course!).  Everything else I have to force down!  I'm not too worried about it though as long as I'm not losing weight and baby measures on track.  I am forcing myself to eat fresh fruit and greens at least once a day.

#11 of 24 Old 06-14-2011, 07:16 PM

Quote:

I'm sure cherries are pure demon food.  wink1.gif

Call me the devil then because I just bought a big bag full of cherries! I'm currently debating whether I want to make a cherry pie or something else. Hmmm....

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#12 of 24 Old 06-14-2011, 07:22 PM

nah if its grossing you out, don't eat it. Don't ignore your eating altogether, of course, but we are omnivores after all. there have to be other ways to get your nutritional needs met!

I don't eat fish at all and I never have. I now take a vegetarian DHA supplement (algal oil based) but when preg with my first I just stirred some flax oil into my oatmeal (which sadly I can no longer eat b/c of blood sugar issues and needing to keep my weight normal, grains were definitely my downfall). I also eat some chia seeds mixed into things and plenty of nuts and seeds. I eat free-running or pastured eggs too (2-3 per day) which are supposed to be much higher in Omega-3s. If I can't buy (or run out of) the fresh eggs from the market I buy the DHA "golden yolked" eggs at the store (both Trader Joes and Whole Foods have a store brand that is not too expensive).

Results: 6yo has a super high IQ (I swear that I normally don't mention it but just thought I'd let you know in this context) and he is generally a thriving, healthy, HUGE, vigorous kid. A little too vigorous sometimes :) I used to mix some flax oil into his yogurt when he was a baby, and he and my daughter eat a chewable vegetarian DHA supplement now. My 2yo is too young to have been formally evaluated (lol even in NYC where they practically give IQ tests during your 20week ultrasound), but is obviously a smart, active, healthy kid too. And she's very even-tempered which is more than I can say for my first.

dissertating mom to three

#13 of 24 Old 06-14-2011, 07:24 PM

and yeah- Watermelon is actually pretty low in sugar (I mean, have you looked at the calories in it? It barely has anything in it other than water...)

and I do not want to hear that cherries have lots of sugar. Stop saying that.

#14 of 24 Old 06-15-2011, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmaegbert View Post

nah if its grossing you out, don't eat it. Don't ignore your eating altogether, of course, but we are omnivores after all. there have to be other ways to get your nutritional needs met!

I don't eat fish at all and I never have. I now take a vegetarian DHA supplement (algal oil based) but when preg with my first I just stirred some flax oil into my oatmeal (which sadly I can no longer eat b/c of blood sugar issues and needing to keep my weight normal, grains were definitely my downfall). I also eat some chia seeds mixed into things and plenty of nuts and seeds. I eat free-running or pastured eggs too (2-3 per day) which are supposed to be much higher in Omega-3s. If I can't buy (or run out of) the fresh eggs from the market I buy the DHA "golden yolked" eggs at the store (both Trader Joes and Whole Foods have a store brand that is not too expensive).

Results: 6yo has a super high IQ (I swear that I normally don't mention it but just thought I'd let you know in this context) and he is generally a thriving, healthy, HUGE, vigorous kid. A little too vigorous sometimes :) I used to mix some flax oil into his yogurt when he was a baby, and he and my daughter eat a chewable vegetarian DHA supplement now. My 2yo is too young to have been formally evaluated (lol even in NYC where they practically give IQ tests during your 20week ultrasound), but is obviously a smart, active, healthy kid too. And she's very even-tempered which is more than I can say for my first.

That's really fascinating! The only things I want to eat now are eggs (in any form, our chickens are free-ranging), salads, yogurt, and raw milk (we have our own cow). I've never been a fruit eater, it's soo sweet, and I hate biting into anything cold, it hurts my teeth. Most veggies are good too, as long as they're in a salad, or cooked. I'm just too picky. I know I need to eat more, but it's hard (NEVER thought I'd say that!!).

#15 of 24 Old 06-15-2011, 06:27 AM

I follow my body's cues while pregnant. for some reason I cannot tolerate very much chicken. so I don't eat it unless it is mixed in something (like risotto, yum!) I am not good at taking vitamins period, and worse while pregnant, so I just try to eat a balance of things. It doesn't help that I seem to very limited in the AMOUNT of food I can eat at once, but hey, I try!

I think if you can do all that stuff, fish oil, and all that, go for it! but if you really, really, can't - don't beat yourself up about it either.

that instructor sounds awful! I don't like watermelon, but unless you are needing to restrict sugars/carbs, why in the world would you tell anyone to not eat fruit?

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#16 of 24 Old 06-15-2011, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama~Love View Post

That's really fascinating! The only things I want to eat now are eggs (in any form, our chickens are free-ranging), salads, yogurt, and raw milk (we have our own cow). I've never been a fruit eater, it's soo sweet, and I hate biting into anything cold, it hurts my teeth. Most veggies are good too, as long as they're in a salad, or cooked. I'm just too picky. I know I need to eat more, but it's hard (NEVER thought I'd say that!!).

Oooh you are lucky to have your own chickens (we really can't b/c of space/health/vermin issues in the middle of manhattan, plus my mom, in whose house we live, has a kind of phobia of birds). My MWs for #2 were always so psyched that I ate a lot of eggs. I at A LOT of eggs during that pregnancy. (I am eating more like 2 or sometimes 3 per day now).

#17 of 24 Old 06-15-2011, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~pi View Post

I am eatting grapes right now, but they are organic (so they must be good - like organic cookies LOL!!) so nut.gif to that instructor.

Honestly I try my very best, but somedays I fall off the wagon. Yesterday I was at a meeting and there were all kinds of snack foods in the middle of the conference table. I could NOT stop snacking, chex mix, popcorn, a cookie, a very small bite sized brownie. I mean who puts the food in the middle of the table - put it on the side of the room so I don't have to stare at it.  Hello, pregnant women here who has zero will power.

Mama to DS (03/09) and DD (10/11) and married to the love of my life

#18 of 24 Old 06-15-2011, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmaegbert View Post

Oooh you are lucky to have your own chickens (we really can't b/c of space/health/vermin issues in the middle of manhattan, plus my mom, in whose house we live, has a kind of phobia of birds). My MWs for #2 were always so psyched that I ate a lot of eggs. I at A LOT of eggs during that pregnancy. (I am eating more like 2 or sometimes 3 per day now).

LOL, I eat 3 for breakfast everyday (sunny side up, runny yolks w/ toast & 1-2 glasses of raw milk), and sometimes more later on for lunch (scambled egg & cheese on toast sandwiches , YUM!), and I sometimes take 2 or 3 hard boiled eggs to work as part of my lunch. They are SOOO GOOD!

#19 of 24 Old 06-15-2011, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama~Love View Post

LOL, I eat 3 for breakfast everyday (sunny side up, runny yolks w/ toast & 1-2 glasses of raw milk), and sometimes more later on for lunch (scambled egg & cheese on toast sandwiches , YUM!), and I sometimes take 2 or 3 hard boiled eggs to work as part of my lunch. They are SOOO GOOD!

I read this, ran immediately to the kitchen, and started making some eggs.  Working from home?  Pbbbt.  Want eggs.  Eggs are gooooood. 

(Instructor also said that no part of any egg we eat can be runny.  I'm totally making sunny side up right now, even thought I usually dislike eggs cooked that way.  HA!  Hahaha!  Take that!   I promise I'll stop whining about her soon.  Really.)

#20 of 24 Old 06-15-2011, 10:20 AM

I can't believe anyone would tell a pregnant lady not to eat fresh fruit.  That's just crazy talk.  Fruit has so much fiber, nutrients and antioxidants.  Things like dried fruit (like raisins) and pasteurized/ sweetened fruit juices could be considered off limits but fresh fruit???  I'm not buying it.

#21 of 24 Old 06-15-2011, 10:21 AM

Yikes, I'm sorry but that lady is sorely misinformed and I can't believe she is allowed to give people advice! LOL Watermelon contains a lot of water, PERFECT for pregnant ladies. ( Hence the water part of the name.......) I'm from the deep south and know this well. lol

And the fish thing kinda has me boggled. Pregnant women are supposed to limit their fish intake, not force themselves to eat it. In all honesty, you should be listening to your body before anything or anyone else..

The egg thing is a given. Runny eggs are partly raw eggs. You don't want to eat raw eggs while pregnant, because it is risky.

I would look for other sources of food advice! :-)

Mom to three boys 7/7/00 fencing.gif 11/20/02 and 10/29/2011 luxlove.gif

Writing at: http://paisleymama.blogspot.com/ and other places! 

#22 of 24 Old 06-15-2011, 01:11 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the great alternative suggestions, ~pi and LaBruja.  I totally fell for my HMO's childbirth instructor's schtick that fish was the Only Option.  She also said that pregnant women shouldn't drink mineral water (because the carbonation affects phosphorus) or eat watermelon (because of the sugar content).   I really should have thought again about the fish, since she's obviously a bit compulsive.   Just goes to show I need to be more careful what I expose myself to, because those negative or all-or-nothing ideas can pop up in very unfortunate ways.

Oh dear, I am in so much trouble! orngtongue.gif  Watermelon is my favourite food and when I'm pregnant I get an almost obsessive craving for it.  I easily eat a whole watermelon a week by myself....almost every week............ok, when I say it, I'm a little embarrassed...lol.gif

The only thing I haven't been able to stomach is eggs.  

I do take fish oil capsules - they go down easily!  And think of it this way - the fact that you're even AWARE of it's benefits and TRYING to get more in your diet puts you way ahead of alot (most) pregnant women.  Your baby will be fine!

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

#23 of 24 Old 06-17-2011, 11:57 AM

Just because of this thread I bought a watermelon at the grocery store today!  eat.gif  The kids and I have been munching on it all day.

puente likes this.
#24 of 24 Old 06-25-2011, 10:50 AM

Oh man...This was such a touchy topic for me, mostly because I was such a foodie before I got pregnant and then, all of a sudden, I couldn't even think about food without feeling nauseous. There were weeks where I could only tolerate greek yogurt. It was a breakthrough when I could put granola in it. The thought of leafy greens still makes me want to hurl. So when you say you forced yourself to eat salmon, I just want to hug you hug2.gif I bought garbanzo beans this morning for the first time in 5 months. I am very proud of this...

stillheart.gif Momma-ing the Muffin since October 2011!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page