Old 06-15-2011, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodge View Post

Funny conversation with DH last night.

Me: "oh, come feel the baby move"

He walks over and of course baby stops moving right when he puts his hands on my stomach.

Me: "Well, dang baby stopped, you could press on my stomach a little, sometimes the baby moves then."

Him: "No, I am not poking the baby. You always poked DS and now look, he never settles down. He is scared that if he stops moving someone is going to poke him."

lol.gif

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2011, 09:34 AM

our previous two babies have just slept in our queen bed with us (no rail, we put baby between us at that itty-bitty age). I noticed that DD (who is 2) has been much more active in the night lately and one night she was laying 90 degrees to me with her face wedged between mattress and wall. I mentioned to DH that this might be dangerous to baby and he said, "but the right place for a little baby is right here" and patted the space between us. He quite likes having the baby there and is very aware of it. So, we'll see what this one is like but that is our plan.

lifeguard-- I did think of those belly belt things last night. I think a friend of mine might have told me she has one in a hand-me-down box for me...

dissertating mom to three

Old 06-15-2011, 09:36 AM

I'm still wearing my regular underwear. They were all sort of hipster cotton types with wide waistbands. "invisible" I think they are called. My sister actually got them for me, some from Gap, from some VS. They are about 1.5 years old. I assume they'll be shot by the end of preg and I'll get some new ones PP.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy May View Post

Any of the other co-sleeping families have used a railing on the bed, versus a side-attaching co-sleeper?  We're looking to make a wood co-sleeper to attach to our bed, but I wanted to hear if anyone has experience with just using the rail and a baby in the bed (especially a queen size bed).  I can also check the co-sleeping forum, but just wanted to ask here too!

I got one of these when ds was around a year old (not this exact same one, it was one that was meant to be used with a regular mattress, not a crib). I was not too thrilled with it and would not have used it for a newborn/little baby. I ended up having to shove pillows between the rail and the mattress because there was a large gap (at the age my ds was I was worried about him getting a foot stuck, though if he was smaller I would have been worried about his little head getting stuck). I'm not sure if that's common or if there are better rails though. I had ds's crib attached to one side of my bed and the rail on the other side.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:46 AM

oh and lifeguard (and others)-- magnesium is a mild laxative and deficiencies can lead to cramping and poor sleep. So if you are having spasms/cramps and you up your magnesium intake, it might help with the other problem too :) I learned this when I had the awful leg cramps in my second pregnancy. My MWs actually said, take so much magnesium that you basically get diarrhea, then take a little less than that. Um... well anyway it did stop the leg cramps, and right now I take 400 (whatever units they measure in, I can't remember) of Magnesium citrate. Plus there is some in my calcium (which I take at a different time of day) and my multi.

I just came up anemic (started a thread about it) and will be doing supplements (probably floradix and an iron pill), iron-rich foods (which I do already eat, but I'll add more), iron skillet for cooking, and nettle tea, as per reccs of current midwives. I've heard from many that floradix is less constipating (its also mad expensive). So anyway, if you suspect low iron, you could try some of that other stuff first. I have been very low energy and getting exhausted with my normal activity levels... I assumed it was just being preg but maybe I'll be miss energy after a week or two of supplementing...

Old 06-15-2011, 10:03 AM
~pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodge View Post

Funny conversation with DH last night.

Me: "oh, come feel the baby move"

He walks over and of course baby stops moving right when he puts his hands on my stomach.

Me: "Well, dang baby stopped, you could press on my stomach a little, sometimes the baby moves then."

Him: "No, I am not poking the baby. You always poked DS and now look, he never settles down. He is scared that if he stops moving someone is going to poke him."

biglaugh.gif

Amy May, we used neither. DS went between us (DH is a lighter sleeper than I am) and once he started moving around a lot, we just put the mattress on the floor for a year or so until he learned how to get off the bed (as opposed to falling off of it.) ETA: We started on a double and are now in a queen. It was fine with a baby, though it's now a squeeze with two adults and a sprawly nearly 5 year old. (The plan is to get DS consistently in his own bed -- still in our room -- over the summer. When we discussed this some months ago, he said he will start sleeping solo, "when I am five," so we decided to just wait until after his birthday. Of course, he is now suggesting that perhaps he should wait until he is six ...)

Re: hormones, I had a full blown meltdown yesterday afternoon. DS' school was having an end of year festival, so DH came home early so that we could bike up to the school together. I was having a really hard day, felt he did not greet me sufficiently warmly upon arriving home, and next thing I knew, I was bawling about job stress, how I feel nauseated all the freaking time, how much work it is to maintain stable sugars, how jealous I am that he gets to play field sports this summer and I don't ... yikes. Not my best moment, but wow, was it cathartic. I feel so much more relaxed today.

Re: underwear, that was, funnily enough, the source of my previous freakout last month. ("I feel so huge! I don't even have any UNDERWEAR that FIT ME!!!" Cue sobbing.) Thank goodness for a level-headed partner, who held me while I cried and then sat me down in front the computer and suggested that I order some new underwear, saying, "Hon, if a little money will fix an emotional problem, that's money well spent." I actually really like full belly panels, so I got these, and I have been so much happier ever since. (When other women complain that the underwear is too big in the butt, I know that they are going to work well for me!)

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

Old 06-15-2011, 11:20 AM

Amy May: DD slept between us too. We did great. When she was bigger... about 18 months we added a twin bed next to ours. At first she just slept there a couple of hours but now she mostly sleeps through the night and is in her bed until early morning when she crawls in with us for nursing and cuddles and another hour of sleep. I'd wait and see what you think you might want. Our new babe will sleep between us too and if DD needs to come into bed she'll be on the side where her bed is and not next to the newborn.

Underwear: I just sized up in plain jane hanes her way. Pretty comfy!

Gotta run this morning but I did take the time to read everyone's comments. Sheesh this thread can move fast!! Glad to hear everyone is doing pretty well.

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

Old 06-15-2011, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

poodge - that's hilarious!

amy may - we coslept with ds for most of his first 15 months in a queen sized bed with no rail. No problems really. I will admit dh did sleep on the couch a fair bit though!

Underwear is a constant source of frustration for me. I suspect they fit differently on my fatty belly than they would on a slimmer pregnant belly. Anything under the belly is just AWFUL as it rolls down onto my pubic bone & bunches - so NOT comfortable! Anything that lands halfway up my belly leave a nice line so instead of a nice round preggy belly I look like I have (ok so I do have) a big roll in the middle - totally unattractive. So that leaves underwear that goes all the way up & over. Not so flattering when it's all I'm wearing but much better with clothes on as it keeps my belly looking a little smoother. Problem is it's VERY hard to find said underwear - especially in larger sizes. I dug out the undies I bought for ds (I literally bought the largest full briefs I could find & they are the biggest granny panties you ever saw!) but they are much too large this time (they weren't exactly tight last time) & just won't work. Sigh. I spend a lot of time adjusting my underwear. I wear dresses/skirts 90% of the time so going commando is not something I'm so comfortable with (especially with a 2 year old to chase).

My mood is awful, awful, awful. I am so sick of being exhausted all. the. time. Part of me thinks I should stop wasting the little bit of energy I have on workouts but I know that is not the solution. I spent almost 2 hours trying to get ds to nap today - no go. I tried SO hard to stay calm & patient the whole time but all I wanted to do was cry & then eat any carb I could find (which is a feat in this house!). So now he hasn't napped which means we have a long & grumpy evening ahead of us. Sigh.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

Old 06-15-2011, 05:21 PM

I buy the costco bikini 6-pack of cotton undies. I've always bought them a size too big because I like them to come close to my belly button and I have junk in my trunk, and prefer full coverage for said junk. They still fit just fine. I bought a new 6-pack a few weeks ago and they are great, 6 for $9.
Target has some of those super stretchy lace "hanky panky" style one-size-for-most panties, for about $5 a pair.

I have a maternity belt, It's my friend's hand-me-down. I think it was $60. It's AWESOME for SI pain and back pain in general. But it rolls when I sit. I can't drive in it, for example. I'm not sure it's worth $60, but it's nice to have.

I might actually bounce into maternity clothes some time soonish. Woot! The "I ate too many twinkies and lost my waist" stage might be over.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

Old 06-15-2011, 05:45 PM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Amy May, we started out without the rail, but added one after ds would fall out of bed. The rail my DH made from the wooden slats of an older bed. It was fine, though it made making the bed annoying! You couldn't really make the bed in that area. I am bothered by little things like that. bag.gif

Underwear! I did buy some maternity underwear from Motherhood that were a total joke! So then I went to Target and like a pp bought a 6'er of Hanes bikini in a bigger size. They have a lot of room to grow. My butt does not fill the butt hole (wait, that is not what I meant to say) and so they are baggy but who cares. For tum smoothness when it matters, I wear the Be Band. I'm going to love that thing post partum when I have bread dough belly.

I went on the whale watch today! We saw scads of the most wonderful humpback and fin and minke whales. They were so close to our boat and I couldn't get over that this marine life lives so close to where I live. It was incredibly choppy water going out. I was scared and wanted to turn around. But then when we started seeing whales, I forgot my fear. The water calmed down and it was a gorgeous day. I still feel like I'm on a boat though, and the fresh air and wind has made me want to go to bed at the crack of 6.

Making a March 9th sandwich with a Halloween filling.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:12 PM

http://m.gap.com/product.html?dn=gp826094022&dv=0&shopid=0&pdn=gc64528
These are the fit of underwear I have right now, very comfy. No problem with rolling.

Lifeguard I am laughing about your gigantic granny pants, though I am sure this is not funny for you...

Fwiw my Mw told me today the for an active woman not in first pregnancy, RL pain is very common, and guess what... She suggested a belly support band.

Whale watching sounds awesome!

Old 06-15-2011, 07:13 PM

Co-Sleeping....When DS first came home we had a co-sleeper next to DS's side of the bed because I had some pelvic issues from labor/delivery (the two sides of the pelvis separated, as is supposed to happen, but then came back wrong) that made it really hard for me to move around, walk, get into/out of bed for 2+ weeks.  But, DS was between me and DH from the get-go since that made it far easier to nurse all night.  When I became mobile again we moved the co-sleeper to my side and used it as a "bed rail."  There was a bit of a gap between the mattress and the co-sleeper, so I rolled up a couple of towels and wedged them down next to the mattress (they rested on the bed frame) and that worked well and was not a suffocation hazard.  DS stayed between me and DH, though, for quite a while..until my body was just killing me from always being in one position all night long and then I started switching DS from side of me to the other whenever I shifted positions.

Underwear...Still wearing my same ol' Hanes Her Way...very comfy.  Don't know if I'll end up going up a size or not as the pregnancy goes on.  Last time I just wore pretty much my VS Body underpants throughout and a few from Motherhood Maternity.

Teacher until birth of DS (7-27-08)blowkiss.gifand now DD (10-17-11)femalesling.GIF:, now SAHM, wife to my wonderful hard-working DH.   cd.gifnocirc.gifselectivevax.gif

Old 06-15-2011, 08:46 PM

I'm way late in responding to everyone but I did enjoy reading your updates. Nice to see what is going on with you gals. Nothing to report here. I've been home bound with no car after my accident and it looks like the car will take 4 months to fix (ah, the joys of living abroad). I've missed so many workouts and I'm just plain depressed. Lung infection is gone though, but now I'm constipated and bored. Might take a taxi to the gym tomorrow.

@amy may I am having SI pain too ever since the car accident. greensad.gif

Momma to DS (2/08) and #2 due 10/11.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:47 PM

we co slept but didn't use a bed rail. We had a wooden co-sleeper attached to my side of the bed. i absolutely love it!!!

The baby slept in it ocassionally but it was really an extension of our bed that worked as a bed rail. I keep all of the diaper/potty supplies in there and don't have to move when the lo wakes in the night, then we just nurse and go right back to sleep. Works well for us.

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

Old 06-16-2011, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the thoughts for dh. He's in surgery right now and has been for about an hour. About another hour left then he should go to recovery.

Ds had a really bad night, and I had a bunch of indigestion last night, so I didn't sleep well at all (we had to be up at 5am to get him here by 6). It's going to be a looooong day.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:17 AM

How funny is it to think of a bunch of pregnant ladies all spending time thinking and contemplating... our underwear!  (Me included!) I'm a fan of the hanky panky- style undies (target brand), and surprisingly, still have a few thongs that are amazingly comfortable still. 

Today started with 2nd day of a meltdown.  I feel like an emotional rollercoaster right now.  Aaah!

Rosemary- that sounds awesome about whale watching!  That is something I've wanted to do since moving to Boston.

Last night I went to bed well before the Bruins game (for people who aren't into Hockey, Stanley Cup playoffs, and a HUGE deal for Boston, who hasn't won the championship in 39 years).  Anyway, our upstairs neighbors tend to ride their bikes to the bars to watch the games, and then put them away in the shed behind our house.  So they were outside our bedroom window, talking REALLY LOUDLY, and of course it woke me up.  I was really irritated, naturally, to be woken up by voices outside my window, but even more so, they didn't even say whether or not the Bruins won.  (They did win).  I felt like the least they could do with all their loud chatter was throw in a "Great game, huh? Go Bruins!"

As far as co-sleeper, at this point we're planning on building our own wooden side-car.  At this point neither DH and I love the idea of a baby between us... we tend to sleep pretty cuddled close together, and are concerned that the baby between us would get in the way of our intimacy (and not just sexual intimacy, but even being able to spoon at leisure during the night).  I'm sure we will figure it out though, and I'm sure there will be times baby will wind up between us.  Feel free to chime in on how others have balanced a baby sleeping between you and your partner!

Amy, feathering our nest with sweet husband O and baby girl, P (October 2011). 
Old 06-16-2011, 07:51 AM

Amy May: I'm on meltdown morning #2 as well.  This is ridiculous.  I also started crying in the middle of dinner last night because DH was "being distant"...as in the other side of the table in the restaurant booth we were sitting in.

While I love the idea of baby in bed, I am an excessively active and violent sleeper.  I kick, I flail, I routinely fall out of bed, throw pillows/cats about.  And I'm a very hard sleeper.  It would just be dangerous to have an infant there.  We're keeping a cradle right next to the bed.  I figure I will cuddle while conscious and then put baby out of tossing range.  :)

Steph: I hope your husband's recovery is speedy.  Sounds like one heck of a night!

I'm on my first day of vacation.  No work until June 27th...then I start back full time and with a new part time position.  Not stoked with that, but we're closing on a new house in mid-July so I want our cushion to stabilize some and it is a really great opportunity.  I'm having lunch with a friend today who is babysitting my furbabies while we're gone.  First, DC with the in-laws tomorrow (and Bonefish Grill...I want some effing bang bang shrimp), then my godsister's high school graduation (so proud...starting an accelerated academic program in two weeks, she's such a good kid.  I'll probably be hysterical mess when they call her name), beach trip to the Outer Banks with her family and some friends, visiting DH's best friend and his girlfriend at their new house, and finally a baby shower back home.  Whooo.  Today I'm doing some packing...we're closing on our current home and our new home on the same day, so have no wiggle room with getting stuff out.  It's going to be a tiring vacation.

Social working mommy to babygirl.gif 10/10/11, three cats, and a dog.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by livacreature View Post

(and Bonefish Grill...I want some effing bang bang shrimp)

I was just there last night! Had an order of bang bang shrimp, brought another order home (lol) and shared one of those giant brownies with my friend that I was with. Yum! Later today i'll be eating bang bang shrimp while dh is passed out wink1.gif

Anesthesiologist came out and explained to me how to care for dh's nerve block. He said everything went well, but i'm still waiting to get to see him...

Old 06-16-2011, 08:34 AM

Hope you see DH soon so you can get on to those shrimp! winky.gif

Social working mommy to babygirl.gif 10/10/11, three cats, and a dog.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:16 AM

Just got a call that baby girl's heart looks great! So relieved!

Steph: Hope DH's recovery goes well. My DH has a bad shoulder too and he has been avoiding the fact that he needs surgery. This last trip on the boat really solidified it for him though.

My hips have been so sore! Grrr!

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

Old 06-16-2011, 11:33 AM

This cosleeping discussion is really helpful, as this has been a debate in my house the past few weeks. We were going to get an Arms Reach cosleeper, but DH doesn't want it and keeps going back and forth on whether or not the baby should be with us. I'm worried that neither DH or I will sleep well if we're worried about squishing the baby (we're both light sleepers as it is), and we have yet to find an in-bed solution that we like that will block us from rolling onto the baby. I've heard of people just using certain pillows, but it just makes me nervous.

AFM, to play two months of quick catch up, I am really uncomfortable already. I'm not sticking out very far, but with baby already being up close to my chest, I just feel swollen and sore a lot.

We wanted a boy, but had come to expect that I was having a girl. We stopped debating it with people, and were expecting to be told girl at the ultrasound. When the tech went to look, he froze the shot on the screen and asked, "Any guesses?" I was so shocked I was speechless, and my mom (who had swore girl from day one), says "Uh... That's a BOY!" DH and I were just shocked. They double checked at 23w, and yep, still a boy! I kind of had to adjust back to being excited because I was so sure he was a girl! I'm still picking out gender neutral colors though, just on case we decide to do this again sometime.

However, from how this one is acting already, one might be more than enough! He's a maniac. Constantly on the go. He's kicked every Doppler, moved nonstop through both ultrasounds, and has ruined the mood by kicking his dad at inopportune times! I feel like he just spends his days using me as a bouncy castle! It's neat, but at the same time, I'm wondering what that says about the person he'll be when he's a mobile toddler!

Non-baby related, we're trying to find a house in a terribly overpriced market, so that's been interesting. Up here, you are hard pressed to find a stand alone house for under 250K. If you want a yard, that's more like 300+. I'm still working full time, but I'm not sure I'm going to keep it up until my due date like I'd planned. I can't seem to get comfortable at work. I've gained less than 15 pounds, but my chair feels way too small now - is that weird?

Alaskan Wife and Mama to my special little guy ribbluyel.gif (9/13/11) and expecting #2 (2/21/13)!

Old 06-16-2011, 11:36 AM

Sue: Wonderful news on your little girl!

Steph: I hope everything went well with the surgery.

Mama to DS (03/09) and DD (10/11) and married to the love of my life

Old 06-16-2011, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quick update.... We're home. The surgeon said there was more damage than he thought but he got it all fixed up. Now it's rest time for all (ds, of course, is the least thrilled of all of us about that... Lol)

Old 06-16-2011, 01:10 PM

About cosleeping - with my first son, he slept swaddled in a basinett next to my side of the bed for the first four months. I kept falling asleep nursing him in the rocker though (waking up two hours later with him on the nursing pillow, yikes!), so I decided that cosleeping would be safer than that! At first I slept with him on the futon in his room (firmer mattress). I just stuffed my Snoogle into the gap between the mattress and the wall to keep him out of the hole. By 6 months he had good motor control and head strength, so we brought him to sleep between DH and I in our king bed.

I had always been a very deep sleeper, but, as Dr. James Mckenna's research indicated, my instincts kicked in with baby in the bed. Whatever position I went to sleep in is the one I woke up in!

At around 1 year old, DS was getting awfully squirmy and kicking DH, so I put myself in the middle instead. I took a cue from these types rounded bed rails, and simply rolled a comforter very tightly and stuffed it under the sheet at the edge of the bed:

http://www.amazon.com/BedBugz-Portable-Bed-Bolster-Yellow/dp/B001DCM4U8/ref=sr_1_29?ie=UTF8&qid=1308251205&sr=8-29

http://www.amazon.com/Humanity-Family-Bed-Sleeping-Pad/dp/B000LTN72S/ref=sr_1_38?ie=UTF8&qid=1308251222&sr=8-38

DS is 3 years old and sleeps in his own bed now, but sometimes if he joins us he just goes in the middle again. I plan on sidecarring the crib we have when this baby comes, just to make sure he has a safe, preschooler-free zone to sleep in smile.gif

Underwear - I bought La Senza's UltraSoft (modal) bikini underwear when pregnant with DS, and have been wearing them every since! Love them.

Amy, mom to E superhero.gifsince April 2008 and C babyboy.gif since October 2011, wife to P since September 2006.

Old 06-16-2011, 03:17 PM

I strongly recommend my clients sleep with the newborn in the room for the first few months. That doesn't have to be in bed with you - there are cribs, bassinets, pack-n-plays, hammocks, etc. But being in the same room as a healthy adult cuts SIDS risk and improves breastfeeding rates.
If I'm leaving the house after a birth and everyone is ZONKing out, and there's no baby holder around, I usually suggest the changing pad. Almost everyone has one of those contour mats. They make a decent make-shift baby holder. Throw that in the bed, between the pillows. You won't roll on that without noticing - those edges are HARD. And it's free since they are already there.
Plenty of us slept in dresser drawers, too.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

Old 06-16-2011, 05:50 PM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

My stomach hurts today and yesterday. It feels heavy and just kind of sore. I've been doing some lifting and organizing. Am I hurting the wee one?

Making a March 9th sandwich with a Halloween filling.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:00 PM

I'm always so behind that I don't really feel like I have much to add, but I do read along.  And take notes.  Okay, not literally, but I'm filing it all away in my brain.  I don't usually have much to contribute . . .

Steph: Glad your DH's surgery went well.  That must have been a stressful time, but if they think they fixed it all then that's good.  Now, time to relax and recover.  Would Owen like being kept busy by playing nurse/maid?

Sue:  Glad your DH is back safe and sound, and that baby's heart is looking good.  That must be such a relief.  I hope your husband gets surgery too, if he needs it.  It seems like on a boat would be a bad place for joint trouble, to me.

Saoirse:  I think it was you who asked last week if I'm Ukranian, what with the SK farm-wife-ness.  Nope.  In my hometown in AB there were a lot of Ukrainian farmers, but they don't seem as common here . . . at least according to the last names on the RM map.  I'm a mutt, but I don't think I've got any Ukrainian blood at all.

Re. underwear:  Mine don't fit anymore, but I'm just wearing them anyway, because I hate trying to find underwear that fit and are comfortable.  They're stretching at about the same rate that I'm growing, so it's all good for now, but eventually they're all going to stretch so far that they rip.  And then I'll be sad.  And have to buy new underwear.  I'm hoping that takes a while.

AFM:  Baby has been kicking up a storm for the last few days.  Up until two weeks ago I was never even sure that I could feel baby, but now I can every night without fail and pretty often during the day.  It's been raining a lot, so I've been sitting on the couch more than usual . . . that might be part of the reason I can feel so much movement. 

Had a weird abdominal pain today (on the left), but it went away when I threw up . . . I don't know what that was about, and I called the clinic and talked to a nurse who also didn't know.  But she figured that I didn't need to go in unless any of my symptoms came back.  So far, so good. 

I've scheduled my u/s for Monday, and I'm very excited.  We debated about whether to find out the sex, and I think curiosity wins out.  There's no compelling reason NOT to find out, and I couldn't be any more in suspense, so I think I'll go ahead and ask to know.  I'm kind of half-hoping that my husband can come home from work for the u/s, just because I know I'm going to be excited like a little kid, and I would like to share that with him.  I doubt he'll be able to, though.  It's hard to justify his missing days of work - they usually work from 60-80 days in a season, so if he misses even three days that could be as much as 5% of our yearly income.  And he's maybe a 12-14 hour drive away, so that would be one day driving here, one day visiting, and one day back to work.  Blah!  Anyway, he's been able to call me three or four times already, so that's pretty fantastic.  I had a job one summer where I didn't have access to a phone that he could call or a computer to check email, and that . . . I can't think of any way to say how much I hated that, without swearing a lot.  So this is much better!

Finally, my SIL (who is one of my two or three very best friends and has been since high school) is coming to visit in July, for 9 days.  I'm very excited to see her.  She's one of the most sane, reasonable, kind, and interesting people I know.  I can't wait to spend so much time with her . . . it also helps that although she's very neat, she doesn't judge me for my messiness.  It would be even better if she could actually see her brother while she was here, but of course that's up to his work situation.  Anyway, yay!

On a farm with our kiddo (nearly 2), two dogs, two cats, ten goats, two donkeys, nine sheep, a bunch of chickens, and a husband (in the winters). We have another on the way!
Old 06-16-2011, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Rosemary - lifting & organizing isn't going to hurt the baby. But if you're getting sore try to back off a little so you don't hurt you!

afm - I am crazy exhausted. What's worse, I can't seem to sleep at night! I don't understand why this is starting so early.

I feel HUGE. I keep swinging between feeling I look pretty good & pregnant & feeling I look big & fat. It's awful. I definitely feel like my tummy is bigger this time than with ds though.

This little girl moves CONSTANTLY. It's actually part of the reason I can't fall asleep - 'cause she's rocking around. I can actually see her moving through my extra padding! Makes me a little worried for when she gets bigger!

I'm going canoeing this weekend with my girl guides. Super excited - should be a good weekend!

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

Old 06-16-2011, 07:26 PM

Thanks to everyone for the hugs & placenta-moving thoughts!

AKislandgirl - that's great news!

We had the Arm's Reach mini cosleeper. Even though DD ended up sleeping in bed with us sometimes, I was glad to have somewhere else to have her sleep as well. She moved easily to a crib in our room later on, and then to a toddler bed in her own room, but she's back to sleeping with us full-time now for whatever reason. She is a very active sleeper so I'm not quite sure what to do about that. I'm hoping that getting her a "big girl bed" and redecorating her bedroom a bit will convince her that she wants to sleep in there. 

All my underwear are giving me wedgies! I don't have a problem with rolling, though - I wear hipsters so they sit below the belly.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryS-F View Post

My stomach hurts today and yesterday. It feels heavy and just kind of sore. I've been doing some lifting and organizing. Am I hurting the wee one?

I had a similar experience after moving a dresser with my hubby and it freaked me out. My doc said that I really can't hurt the baby with that kind of thing and I should just do what I am comfortable with. She said I might feel some pain after some things, just like if I pulled a muscle, but generally it won't hurt anything babywise within reason.

User Tag List