Since we're discussing weight ... is this enough? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 06-14-2011, 03:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone. I'm pregnant with my fourth and started this pregnancy about 20-25 pounds overweight. Do it sound ok to have only gained about 5 pounds by about 21 weeks? I've always had the opposite problem, so this is a new one for me! But like I said I wasn't skinny when I started, so maybe this is ok? My OB hasn't mentioned anything ...
#2 of 24 Old 06-14-2011, 04:44 AM

If your OB hasn't said anything, I think you can safely assume you're fine! 

~Iris~ Catholic mama to DD1 11/15/05 * DD2 04/28/08 * brokenheart.gif06/23/2010 * and our little rainbow DS 10/07/11 love.gif

#3 of 24 Old 06-14-2011, 06:08 AM

There is NO hard and fast rule about how much weight to gain...it is important to remember that the typical weight gain doesn't mean optimal weight gain.  Typically, many women will gain between 25-40 lbs, but some underweight women will gain significantly more, and some rounder women much less.

A good way to assess your weight gain is to look at your nutrition, rather than the scale numbers.  Trust your body knows just what it needs to grow this baby, and what "number" is right for you... you job is to just supply the good nurtition.  How do you feel about your eating?  Are you eating regular meals and snacks?  How is your intake of protein and fresh vegetables?  My midwives have advised that every meal and snack contain a protein, a whole grain, and a fresh fruit or vegetable.  Again, I would encourage you to emphasize what you are eating, rather than the amount.  It is not at all uncommon for a woman who started the pregnancy a bit over her ideal weight to have a very small weight gain. 

Amy, feathering our nest with sweet husband O and baby girl, P (October 2011). 
#4 of 24 Old 06-14-2011, 06:53 AM

With my first baby I gained about 25 lbs, and I started significantly overweight. With this pregnancy I started out at about the same weight, but gained 5 lbs or so right off, but haven't gained any more since I was about 8 wks. so here at 25 weeks (as of tomorrow) still no weight gain. With both my pregnancies neither the midwife (first pregnancy) or the OB (this pregnancy) were at all concerned about my weight gain, or lack there of.

Each pregnancy is different, and I think I would really only be concerned if you were losing weight without explanation - like severe morning sickness - but that is just my unprofessional opinion. I think emphasizing what you eat (like one poster said) and not being concerned unless your HCP is - though you can certainly ask at your next visit - I did at my last one, not that I was particularly concerned, but I was curious.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#5 of 24 Old 06-14-2011, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, everyone. I just wanted to make sure my situation didn't sound completely crazy.

I agree the nutrition piece is the most important one, and I think that's actually my deeper concern, since I'm just so dang busy these days that it's almost impossible to get a decent balanced meal into myself on a regular basis. Or if I do, it comes at the expense of not paying attention to the munchkins, which is just as hard. I suppose I could say I'd try keeping a food diary, but I know I'd never keep it up.

AmyMay, I do like your midwife's suggestion of what to include at each meal. I'm sure there are a million different schools of thought on this but it's nice to at least have something reasonable and normal sounding to aim for. I'm definitely not eating enough veggies, so I'll give that list a good think.

Thanks again.

#6 of 24 Old 06-14-2011, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkmommy View Post

I agree the nutrition piece is the most important one, and I think that's actually my deeper concern, since I'm just so dang busy these days that it's almost impossible to get a decent balanced meal into myself on a regular basis. Or if I do, it comes at the expense of not paying attention to the munchkins, which is just as hard. I suppose I could say I'd try keeping a food diary, but I know I'd never keep it up.

In this case, I would strongly recommend making snacks available everywhere you are. I keep nuts in my purse. I wash a bunch of grapes when I get them home from the store and take them off the bunch so I can just grab a handful and snack. Yogurt in individual containers can be grabbed and eaten on the run (if you use a straw, like my ds does, you don't even have to mess with a spoon lol.gif). Baby carrots are great for snacking. String cheese is a quick snack.

But I agree with the others that the number on the scale isn't the most important factor- it's how you're eating that matters. Between the week before I found out I was pregnant and my first appointment at 7 weeks, I lost 5 pounds. Between 7 weeks and 20 weeks I gained back that 5 pounds plus 5 more (so I'm only 5 pounds above my pre-pregnancy weight). Baby is growing fine so I don't think there's anything to be worried about smile.gif With my ds I gained about 65lb, but I totally didn't pay attention to what I ate. I just ate everything in sight whistling.gif This time I'm trying harder to not pay attention to the scale and to eat healthier. So far it's working!

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#7 of 24 Old 06-14-2011, 10:43 AM

As far as the food diary, something I've done and found useful was to just do a food diary for about 3 days at a time.  I find it helps me get a more realilstic view of what I'm actually eating (i.e. if I have a special treat- aka cookies- 3 times a week, it isn't exactly a "special" treat anymore).  Also, I'd use it to estimate my protein intake to see what that looked like.

Here is the link for the Brewer Pregnancy diet.  Take it with a grain of salt (HAH!  No pun intended, but definitely salt to taste!), and it is definitely a guideline.  I pasted the checklist into a word doc, and then for a few days at a time just tried to mark which food groups I was eating, just to get a sense of how I was doing.  I like a lot of what is said below, but again, this is not the definitive source (how many pregnant ladies actually wake up in the middle of the night just to have a snack!).  I also personally disagree with the website's stance on exercise- they seem to discourage it almost.  I believe exercise is a very healthy part of pregnancy (though you do need even more protein).

http://www.drbrewerpregnancydiet.com/id89.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkmommy View Post

Thanks, everyone. I just wanted to make sure my situation didn't sound completely crazy.

AmyMay, I do like your midwife's suggestion of what to include at each meal. I'm sure there are a million different schools of thought on this but it's nice to at least have something reasonable and normal sounding to aim for. I'm definitely not eating enough veggies, so I'll give that list a good think.

Thanks again.

#8 of 24 Old 06-14-2011, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I am overweight and I just don't really gain weight with my pregnancies. Its just ind of what my body does with pregnancy. I know I am getting adequate calories/nutrition.With both of my previous pregnancies I gained 11 to 12 lbs and weighed less right after birth than I did at my prenatal. So far I have a net gain of 2 lbs at 24 weeks (I say net gain because I had gained 5 total but then lost 3 last month).

Now, if I could just avoid gaining 15 pounds in the first couple of months postpartum... that's where my problem lies.

#9 of 24 Old 06-14-2011, 12:50 PM

the brewer diet was always just way more food than I could eat, and I got sick of eggs. (but that is just me!)

for me, the key to weightloss post partum was to remember to eat enough. If I tried to hold back on what I ate, my body held on to the weight. As long as I was eating sufficiently (think at least 1800-2000 calories a day) and doing some moderate excerise, like walking, the lbs dropped off. As soon as I tried to diet, or cut back on calories, I gained weight.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#10 of 24 Old 06-14-2011, 01:29 PM

Akind1- I know what you mean about brewer diet... I feel like I eat a lot, but I NEVER was able to fill in ALL of those boxes.  Still, I thought it was a helpful way to chart what I was eating so that at least I could see where my distribution of food was, and see which boxes I was continuously missing.  I was annoyed that eggs go into the eggs box and can't be counted as a protein too, and same with dairy.  Yes calcium is important, but I really think you should get credit for something like greek yogurt, which has lots of calcium and protein. 

#11 of 24 Old 06-14-2011, 04:02 PM

I find the blanket statements about what we "should" gain are just inadequate. There is too much variation in how we are all built & how much extra fat we have to start with. I agree with pp that what you are eating is WAY more important than weight gain with protein being the most important (the vast majority of women do NOT eat enough protein). We like to boil up a pile of eggs & throw them in the fridge - it makes it really easy to grab one for a snack. Cottage cheese or greek yoghurt is another quick source if you eat dairy. We also do up chicken breast on the bbq & put them in the fridge to make it easy to grab one (or half of one) - I even eat them cold sometimes.

I have so far this pregnancy lost a total of 30lbs. My ob isn't concerned at all (he didn't even blink an eye at it) & I am just continuing on with my current diet plan (I am also seeing a nutritionist) & will see if the end of the pregnancy I am up or down. I did start this pregnancy about 70lbs overweight.

I think you can also look at how your body is looking & the baby's growth as good indicators of how it's going. Are your arms & legs & face looking abnormally thin? Are you losing muscle mass & strength (ie. your body is taking muscle as an energy source)? Is the baby growing at an expected rate?

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#12 of 24 Old 06-14-2011, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks again, everyone. You all had great suggestions and I realized I got the main thing I really needed right now, which was encouragement to take more time to pay attention to what I'm eating and just generally take better care of myself.

I adore the Brewer diet in theory, not sure I can handle the volume of food but going to post it on my fridge anyway as an experiment to see how wide of the mark I am at the moment. At the very least it will get me eating liver again, which I actually love but only eat rarely because I have to travel a little bit to get it organic.

Thanks again!

#13 of 24 Old 06-14-2011, 06:48 PM

If you are having ultrasounds I would go by if the baby is measuring on track.  I am 24 weeks now and haven't really gained weight since about 10 weeks (but I gained 15 pounds by that point) and baby is actually measuring a little big on sono.  If you're not having sonos done you can go by fundal height.  Generally speaking if a woman has extra weight to begin with, the gain is a less important.  Nutrition is more important than anything IMO... harder than it sounds when you're having cravings/ aversions though.

#14 of 24 Old 06-15-2011, 07:06 AM

Just read this today: http://health.msn.com/healthy-living/too-much-weight-gain-in-pregnancy-linked-to-chubby-babies Thought I'd post it for you.

Momma to DS (2/08) and #2 due 10/11.

#15 of 24 Old 06-15-2011, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutucrazy View Post

Just read this today: http://health.msn.com/healthy-living/too-much-weight-gain-in-pregnancy-linked-to-chubby-babies Thought I'd post it for you.

Oh good grief, they're testing NEWBORNS for OBESITY risks??? What a load of crap, if you ask me! That's just ridiculous!

#16 of 24 Old 06-15-2011, 08:03 AM

agree with others, slow weight gain is fine, as long as you are not underweight, you are healthy, baby is growing normally and you are getting enough protein, and your overall nutrition is good.

At 20w with this pregnancy I had gained I think 7-8lbs (neither me nor midwives are terribly into weight checking, I just step on the scale now and again to have a basic idea). MWs were not concerned at all. I had actually hoping for it to be less BUT I have to keep reminding myself that I started preg pretty much at my "normal" weight (still considered 10lbs overweight by BMI, but I am a broad-shouldered and muscular, so I don't know how much they figure build into those).

W/ #2 I gained only 17lbs overall. She was 9lbs and very healthy. Lol, DH and I were worried she's be "shrimpy".

Personally I wouldn't want to eat the brewer diet- way too much food for me. But I make sure to include a hearty protein source, ample fat, and some fresh veg or fruit at every meal, and to snack to hunger but remembering to include protein in that too. That said as you know from commenting on my thread, I am not coming up anemic, so, that is apparently not a magic formula or anything :)

dissertating mom to three

#17 of 24 Old 06-15-2011, 08:07 AM

Quote:

lol.gif Seriously?!?

With ds I gained about 65lb. Way more than the recommended. DS was just under 9lb at birth. He was a little chubby for most of his first year but right around 12 months he started thinning out. (He did have some feeding issues, as well as obstructive sleep apnea. He's been in feeding therapy for years and had his tonsils/adenoids removed a little over a year ago, which greatly improved how much he ate). Now he's a perfectly healthy, normal weighing 7 year old. Okay, actually since he hasn't been to the ped in awhile I just looked up the charts to see where he is... he's right at the 56% for weight. He is in the 22% for height though..... guess he's taking after me with the height! LOL!

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#18 of 24 Old 06-15-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:

wild.gif

Babies are supposed to be chubby. That article was really chalk full of non-information.

#19 of 24 Old 06-15-2011, 07:59 PM

I don't doubt that the "obese" baby thing is ridiculous but I do think that if your starting weight is higher you'll probably naturally gain less weight during pregnancy if you are eating well. That was the part that I was interested in, where the article says that women who start overweight should usually gain between 15-25 pounds.

#20 of 24 Old 06-16-2011, 11:19 AM

My midwives would always warn me about not growing too big a baby... they said that grains, sugar, soda and juices tended to plump the babies up, and bigger babies can mean a harder delivery.  I know there are women who say that they had an 11 lb baby effortlessly but i can say that over all my births, the smaller babies were easier to get out.  My worst birth was with an almost-9 pounder.  Easiest were the ~6-7 pounders.  But I know women who had brutal deliveries with tiny babies, so I'm not sure there's much rhyme or reason.  I do think it's concerning when you see news of record setting 14, 15 pound newborns-- I'm not sure our bodies are designed for that sort of thing. 

#21 of 24 Old 06-16-2011, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalmum View Post

My midwives would always warn me about not growing too big a baby... they said that grains, sugar, soda and juices tended to plump the babies up, and bigger babies can mean a harder delivery.  I know there are women who say that they had an 11 lb baby effortlessly but i can say that over all my births, the smaller babies were easier to get out.  My worst birth was with an almost-9 pounder.  Easiest were the ~6-7 pounders.  But I know women who had brutal deliveries with tiny babies, so I'm not sure there's much rhyme or reason.  I do think it's concerning when you see news of record setting 14, 15 pound newborns-- I'm not sure our bodies are designed for that sort of thing. 

I do not disagree that babies born the size of 2mos (okay, my 2mos, who were big babies), is probably not good for anyone.

BUT, when pregnant with my second, the 17lb total weight gain, I had diet-controlled gestational diabetes (and very tightly controlled). I ate no sugar or sweetened foods (and not even natural sweeteners), virtually no bread or grains, no juice, no starchy veg, no liquid milk, and no dried fruits, and very modest servings of fresh fruit. And she was 9lbs even. I would certainly not describe her birth as "effortless," but she was born with 3 "pushes" in a labor that was less than 3 hours total, with no tears, etc. She even had a nuchal hand. Some babies are genetically large, and I guess some mommas are made to bear them. (Now... I was over 9lbs, my sister was close to 10lbs, my husband was over 9lbs and his sister was just under 9lbs. So its not like it was a surprise when I had big babies...).

And FWIW, that study in the article only had 56 women in it. Also the article is based on a conference presentation, not even a published study. I wouldn't take it too seriously one way or the other ;)

lifeguard likes this.

dissertating mom to three

#22 of 24 Old 06-17-2011, 07:11 AM

Also, I find it interesting that Europe overall has a much lower standard weight gain expectation for pregnant women.

#23 of 24 Old 06-17-2011, 05:20 PM

General weight in Europe is lower than in the US. Obesity is nowhere near as big a problem in most European countries as it is in North-America. Eating habits are vastly different, and that makes less weight gain easier to accomplish, and also more common. 

~Iris~ Catholic mama to DD1 11/15/05 * DD2 04/28/08 * brokenheart.gif06/23/2010 * and our little rainbow DS 10/07/11 love.gif

#24 of 24 Old 06-19-2011, 07:13 PM

I would think that as long as you're eating when you're hungry and giving yourself healthy food choices and your baby is measuring well that you're OK. I started out at 109 with our son and gained like 17lbs and not for lack of trying. Almost the entire pregnancy our son measured  a week ahead. He was born happy and completely healthy regardless of my lack of weight gain. With our youngest daughter I gained almost 30 and she was born happy and healthy also. Interestingly enough, they were born two weeks apart and weighed almost exactly the same....girl was smaller, boy was bigger. This time around I trust my body knows what it's doing and so far baby looks GREAT, healthy and measuring well even though my weight gain has been on the lower end. 

Jamie: Kinda crunchy, computer geeky, very blessed, attached mama to five
R (4/1997), A (6/2002), B (07/2007), K (06/09) & N (10/17/2011)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page