Anemia- advice and strategies for resolving it? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Anemia- advice and strategies for resolving it?

AKislandgirl's Avatar AKislandgirl
01:18 PM Liked: 81
#31 of 39
08-19-2011 | Posts: 2,055

I've been taking MegaFood's Blood Builder. I really started to feel better after just a few days of taking it. My sister had the same results. I take 2 capsules per day. I will have my iron levels tested at my next appointment but before taking it I felt like I could barely put one foot in front of the other by afternoon. I'm back to feeling pretty normal.

alpenglow's Avatar alpenglow
08:14 PM Liked: 66823
#32 of 39
08-19-2011 | Posts: 3,928

Just thought I'd chime in.  Same thing going on here with low hemoglobin.

Floradix is best absorbed on an empty stomach...why they say to take before meals.  Very tolerable on an empty stomach for me.

They also make "Floravit" which is a yeast and gluten free version of the same thing.

nicolian's Avatar nicolian
08:37 PM Liked: 20
#33 of 39
08-19-2011 | Posts: 1,017

I was tested at my last appt, 2 weeks ago, and mine was a 10. Surprisingly, I haven't been super symptomatic. I do get a little winded but nothing serious. I've been instructed to take Flouridix  twice a day. It's important to try to avoid large amounts of calcium around the time you take the iron, from what I understand. It can inhibit the absorption.

~pi's Avatar ~pi
09:03 PM Liked: 73
#34 of 39
08-19-2011 | Posts: 3,670

Dreamy, that is exactly what I take (same dosage) and it does work for me. Floradix never brought my levels up enough, either. My midwife told me that in her experience, she has seen Floradix work for supporting women maintain iron, but not increase it. (Though she recommends something other than palafer, but because I travel so much, I need something that is shelf stable and doesn't need to be kept in the fridge. Also, palafer is covered, so it's much cheaper.)

emmaegbert's Avatar emmaegbert (TS)
12:39 PM Liked: 36
#35 of 39
08-20-2011 | Posts: 2,881

this reminds me to call and ask for my blood draw results (several weeks ago now). I assume they would have called if it was a problem- but I had it done at a different lab b/c I am out of town for summer. I am feeling generally much better. I continue to take the iron pills (went for a health food store brand w/out any other ingredients) and the floradix pills, 2x per day, calcium at night... I have a bunch of competing things I am dealing with through diet/supplements so trying not to make myself crazy, but I figure if I spread out the iron and consciously separate it from the calcium, that ought to help. I assume the MWs will want one more anyway close to term just to double check, but I am really hopefuly this one will be better.

StephandOwen's Avatar StephandOwen
01:26 PM Liked: 323
#36 of 39
08-20-2011 | Posts: 8,613

At my last blood draw, I was anemic too. I've been taking Slow-Fe (Kroger brand) twice a day for the last 4 weeks and I feel so much better! I don't know if they're going to re-check my levels or not. I didn't think to ask either....

Dreamy's Avatar Dreamy
03:29 PM Liked: 14
#37 of 39
08-20-2011 | Posts: 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolian View Post

I was tested at my last appt, 2 weeks ago, and mine was a 10. Surprisingly, I haven't been super symptomatic. I do get a little winded but nothing serious. I've been instructed to take Flouridix  twice a day. It's important to try to avoid large amounts of calcium around the time you take the iron, from what I understand. It can inhibit the absorption.

I was taking Floradix twice a day, over the recommended amount, with Vitamin C, on an empty stomach. Calcium was never taken within two hours of it - and my levels still went down.
durafemina's Avatar durafemina
10:32 PM Liked: 0
#38 of 39
08-20-2011 | Posts: 831

Just wanted to chime in and say I've used spatone in pregnancy and also for clients (see sig) and it is absolutely wonderful - effective, gentle, natural and so so easy to take. It's basically iron-rich mineral water from a spring in Wales! The only downside is the packaging is a little wasteful IMO. . .but I guess something's gotta give.

It bumped me right back in HB range last time and I have it on order now (Hb is 108, ferritin is 13 and I feel like crap!) - crossing my fingers the mail comes soon. I live in Canada and it was fairly easy to find (on-line store, I just googled) although not in any of the HFS in the small city where I live. You can take 2 doses a day to really boost iron and it seems to help rapidly. I always feel like the last thing anyone needs in pregnancy is a hard-to-absorb and constipation inducing supplement.

durafemina's Avatar durafemina
10:40 PM Liked: 0
#39 of 39
08-20-2011 | Posts: 831

also if you like homeopathics, ferrous phosphate 6 taken 3x daily is a useful addition to iron supplementation

Reply Subscribe October 2011