Mothering Forum banner

Mid-pregnancy ultrasound today! Excited and anxious, blah!

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  KABB 
#1 ·
I was suppose to have it done Monday but the Perinatologist's office called me the Thursday before and had to cancel/reschedule because the doctor had to go out of town unexpectedly. It's rescheduled for today at noon (Eastern time, so it's about 8:30 right now). It was a major pain in the butt for them to do that, we had this u/s scheduled for Monday for two months-we own our own biz and had coverage so it could remain open on Monday and had a friend of mine coming along (she's never been pregnant and never seen an ultrasound either 2D or 4D, she was the first person I told so I thought it would be neat to share that experience with her). Because it had to be rescheduled we have no coverage and that means our biz has to close if Daddy wanted to come along and we lose those sales. My friend has to work today so she's not coming which sucks for both of us but especially her because she was soooooooo excited. The good thing about rescheduling is that my mother, in NC, was shceduled to have surgery Monday also. I was a bit relieved that they canceled the u/s after I thought about it because that meant she could concentrate on her surgery and recovery without worrying if everything was OK with the baby and the u/s and today we'll be able to concentrate on our u/s because I know she's recovering well.

I'm really really hoping everything looks good on the u/s! Because of my history with the complete placenta previa and my high risk pregnancy overall (history of developing blood clots during pregnancy that have traveled to my lungs previously making it necessary for me to be on blood thinner all pregnancy and for a few weeks PP) and what happened at BIL and SIL mid-pregnancy u/s (finding a cyst on the brain and two vessel cod, I'm kinda anxious that there will be something wrong. More than anything I want to see a healthy, good looking, good sized baby. Second to that is no additional complications (previa or cord issues, fluid issues, etc.) and then finding out the gender. I'll admit though I think I'll be let down a bit (and I know Daddy will be) if we don't find out gender tomorrow but I'll be even more upset if we don't get the A-OK or they can't get the pictures they need to confirm a healthy baby or rule out things or if they find markers.

I've drastically increased my water intake, I read somewhere recently-maybe here- that increased fluid intake can make it easier to get the shots the doctor needs. Someone compared it to an adult being in a Kiddie Pool and that adult being in regular pool...yeah there's fluid in both instances but in the regular pool there's more fluid to move around in which makes movements easier and the fluid works as a trans (something I forget the word) and helps get better images. I also plan to drink OJ and my regular caffeine dose (Coke) tomorrow morning in hopes of getting the baby moving regularly. I just hope it doesn't backfire on me and make the baby too active to get good shots of whatever the Peri is going to look at.

The doctor told us at our 12w appointment with him that we should be able to get some good 3D pics this time, last time he tried but he said it looked more like alien than baby (Hey, we didn't care! I thought the pictures were cool regardless). They also are able to record the u/s on DVD if we want so we're going to do that. I told my friend if all works out with recording we'll have her over so she can watch it.

It'll take us an hour to get there and back which sucks but I'll update when I can! You all can check my blog, link in my siggie, too if I don't post for awhile.

See less See more
#3 ·
(copied from my blog)

We're having a perfectly healthy, "perfectly perfectly" the Peri said, one pound LITTLE BOY!

The nurse ultrasounded (?) us first while we waited for the Peri. She asked us if we knew what the baby was and if the baby would be a tie breaker (since Béla and Kadie were with us). I told her we had kids in school and it would either make it two boys or four girls and we'd like to know if they could tell. I told her I was kinda hoping for a boy so our son would have a buddy. She took belly and head measurements and then took a look at gender. She said "It looks like you got your boy!" I said "REALLY!?!?" as she was pointing out the parts and said "OH yeah, he's obvious." I asked her how sure she was and she said (no joke) "I'd bet my paycheck on it, how's that?" LOL! Daddy had both of the young ones on his lap and told them the baby was a boy, they'd be getting a baby brother. Kadie said "Baby....bro-her (brother)!" excitedly but Béla got this look on his face like he was going to start crying and buried his face in Daddy's shoulder. He didn't cry and seemed to get over it pretty quickly.

They looked at everything, things that even having previous babies, I didn't realize they look at as markers for defects, things like number of bones in the pinkie and shape of the foot. His heart, fluid level, toes, fingers, brain, placenta, blood flow, cord...everything they looked at was perfect, thank GOD! During the whole thing Kadie kept pointing to the TV and saying "BABY! BABY!" which was adorable. The Peri kept saying "This looks great..." and telling us what he was looking at or for and why. They said my placenta was on the front and out of the way, no way near my cervix. Almost the wntire time he (WOW I can say he now and not necessarily "Baby Valentine" or (s)he!!!!!) was laying across my belly. I actually got to see some of the movements I was feeling, it was so neat to know it was a hand or foot making them. I asked the doctor about the results of my first and second trimester screenings and he said that the Level II ultrasound is a screening test as well. He said my numbers were great based on the blood work and NT Scan and even lower now after this ultrasound. He said he couldn't give us 0 risk unless we wanted an Amnio but he doesn't feel, especially after this ultrasound, that it's warranted at all . After the abdominal ultrasound, the Peri did a vaginal u/s to measure my cervix, he said that the measurement can indicate if we would be at increased risk of preterm labor, and said it was 59 which he said was very, very good. He pointed out my bladder and the baby's bottom which was on top of my bladder. He said "You're probably in the bathroom a lot."

Based on measurements she took, the nurse/assistant/tech (not sure what she is but she seems to do a little bit of everything in the office and is very knowledgeable and thorough) she said he ways one pound. I wasn't sure what that meant, couldn't remember average weights for 20 weeks but I suspected it was a little heavier because she asked me at one point how big my babies have been. I told her and she said "So you tend to make average sized babies." And I said that Kadie and Béla were about the same weight (B=7lbs 6oz ,K=7lbs 7oz) but Béla was born at 37w6d and Kadie was born 39w6d. I asked about the due date according to the u/s trying to gage how much bigger (or smaller) he was measuring but she said their due date will stay at whatever it was on the first ultrasound, which I can understand because the earlier the u/s the more accurate, but I'm still curious and may as Dr. R (my OB) what the report says.

I was so relieved and happy about our baby boy I had to really try to keep myself from outright balling.

DSCN1760.JPG

Remember me mentioning this shirt? It was given to B by a friend of the family when their son outgrew it. I thought it would be a cool way to announce gender because Béla is a tractor fanatic and put it away in his drawer wondering over the past couple months if he'd actually get to wear it. I packed in the diaper bag just in case.... I've had a feeling that Baby Valentine was a boy but as time went on and we got closer to the ultrasound I started to doubt myself and kept saying "Watch it be a girl just because I think it's a boy!" Daddy, my mother, and almost everyone else we polled thought it was a boy, all those gender charts and even my PH strips said GIRL. I was prepared and would have been over the moon to hear either gender but I'm super excited that it's a boy. I don't know if I was leaning toward a boy because it was a boy or what but I had gone back and forth regularly with "It'd be awesome if Baby Valentine was a girl because..." and "It'd be awesome if Baby Valentine was a boy because..." I know I would have been excited either way.

Here are some of the ultrasound pictures. I have the video they burned to DVD for us but I've had a problem ULing it because of it's length and format.

1ee25b15-1.jpg

99d0d276-1.jpg

3501d060-1.jpg

bf2c976d-1.jpg

#6 ·
Thanks ladies!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.