spotlight on RosemaryS-F (June 27-July 3) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-26-2011, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter
~pi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This is a spotlight thread for RosemaryS-F!

What is a spotlight thread?

A spotlight thread is a thread where we ask questions of another DDC member and read & respond to her answers. It's a fun way to get to know other DDC members a little better.

How do I get a spotlight thread?

What kinds of questions can I ask?

Whatever you like -- silly, weird, personal, you name it. The person being spotlit gets to decide whether/how to answer.

Looking forward to getting to know Rosemary a little better!

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2011, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter
~pi

What does your MDC user name mean? How did you choose it?

Tell us a little about where you live. (Be as vague or as specific as you like.) What do you like about it? What brought and/or kept you there?

What's the last thing you ate?

If you had to choose, would you rather have a two week camping vacation or a weekend in a luxury hotel?

Can you give us a rough recipe for your cucumber soup?

Old 06-27-2011, 08:27 AM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Thanks for the chance to do this!

What does your MDC user name mean? How did you choose it?

My name plus the first initials of my hyphenated last name. Simple enough for my tiny mind to recall.

Tell us a little about where you live. (Be as vague or as specific as you like.) What do you like about it? What brought and/or kept you there?

I live in America's oldest fishing port, and the town in which the Massachusetts Bay Colony was established, and yes, where "A Perfect Storm" was filmed and actually happened. I love my town, and I don't think I'd want to really live anywhere else. Yesterday at our annual St. Peter's Fiesta (Peter is the patron saint of fishermen) I got to watch drunken Italian-American men in drag run the Greasy Pole contest http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYhPm4oeKbM, frequently wishboning themselves on said pole. Awesome.

There is a lot of natural beauty here, and the middle of the city is undeveloped trail for hiking/biking, and site of old 19th century granite quarries. Our granite built NYC!

I went to college nearby, though spent relatively little time here until landing an apartment here in the summer before I went to Italy to study. I worked in a little cafe and met a lot of locals. This place is settled by Italian and Portuguese fishermen, primarily, though it is also an historic site for artists, as we have some very interesting light. After I got married, my DH and I bought a house here in 2003 because we loved the town. Now all our friends, almost literally all, have bought houses within a mile of each other.

What's the last thing you ate?

Watermelon. Or maybe the chilled zucchini soup I am making for clients (just a taste.)

If you had to choose, would you rather have a two week camping vacation or a weekend in a luxury hotel?

Oh crud. I've done the camping thing plenty, so I'd go for a lux hotel to see what that is like. I've heard it's not bad. wink1.gif

Can you give us a rough recipe for your cucumber soup?

Is this a self-serving question? Ha, ha!

--one cucumber per person serving (hereafter abbreviated pps)

--2 T. chopped parsley pps

--one chopped scallion pps

--1 t chopped dill pps

--2 T lemon juice pps

--3/4 c plain yogurt pps

--1/4 t salt pps (start with 1/8 t and taste to adjust)

--little water or broth to thin to your taste

puree this all in a food processor, or with a hand blender. I personally have a really weak blender that I don't trust to puree things for me, but if you have a decent one, go with it.

Making a March 9th sandwich with a Halloween filling.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:44 AM

Sounds like an awesome place to live. My Portuguese hubby would probably love it!

How many kids do you think you will have?

What are your hobbies/interests, other than cooking, of course?

What name(s) have you chosen for the new baby?

Momma to DS (2/08) and #2 due 10/11.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter
~pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryS-F View Post

Is this a self-serving question? Ha, ha!

Yes, isn't that obvious? winky.gif Thank you!

Tell us about your mix of life roles -- mom, artist, caterer, etc. How do you combine them all and how do you feel about the balance between them?

Old 06-27-2011, 02:39 PM

That's funny.  I used to live very close to where you do! In the witch city.  I loved it there when I lived there and can understand why you love it so much. 

Are you hoping your baby is actually born on it's due date (halloween) or are you hoping it is before or after as to not mix with the holiday?

Awesome vegan mom to wolverine babyf.gif11/11 and sabertooth 11/13 and partner to a drum.gifwe also have dog2.gif

Old 06-27-2011, 02:39 PM

What has been your proudest moment in life so far?

What's your favorite ice cream flavor?

What one thing (item, experience, value, whatever) from your childhood do you most hope to pass on to your child? (Or, if you'd rather, what's one thing from your childhood you want to be sure NOT to pass on?)

Old 06-27-2011, 07:46 PM

Oh! I didn't realize it would keep going! I was out all day with my niece and DS.

How many kids do you think you will have?

What are your hobbies/interests, other than cooking, of course?

I love gardening.

I like sewing, but I'm an enneagram 7 (know the e-gram?) and my interests really fly around. So I'll binge on sewing and then not be able to look a needle in the eye for months.

I like beading (same as sewing).

I like long walks.

I love reading. Novels are my favorite, and I'm rather picky about them. But I'll read almost any women's interest magazine I can get my ink stained fingers on.

I used to love writing, especially poetry, but I haven't done that much in years.

What name(s) have you chosen for the new baby?

I'm not telling anyone IRL but you girls can know. We haven't decided ANYTHING and these are just mine, though if DS had been a girl, he'd have been Alba. That is still on the list. I love Ines or Ynez (partial to the YZ one). I like Luz for a middle name.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~pi View Post

Tell us about your mix of life roles -- mom, artist, caterer, etc. How do you combine them all and how do you feel about the balance between them?

My DS is always asking, "Is that for us?" when I am working. He needs to know that some of the yummy is going to be for his family, and I think that is sweet, so I am sure to bulk up on things I'm making that he will like. It's actually pretty nice to make dinner for a living, because I can make ours at the same time.

The artist part has taken a bit of a hit since DS is born, though ironically my sales have exponentially increased in these last three years. I guess that when I paint anything now, it has to be for keeps, and that makes me care more about each piece.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tank View Post

That's funny.  I used to live very close to where you do! In the witch city.  I loved it there when I lived there and can understand why you love it so much. 

Are you hoping your baby is actually born on it's due date (halloween) or are you hoping it is before or after as to not mix with the holiday?

The witch city is hilarious to me! Cool that you know the north shore.

I would like halloween a lot. Great birthday party fodder. It's not an important holiday to me (is that okay to say to someone who lived in Salem??) My b-day is 4 days after that, and I'd rather not share it. So those are my preferences.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:59 PM

What has been your proudest moment in life so far?

I am not sure I am that introspective...I was pretty proud of myself for getting a piece into a museum on Broadway when I was 26.

What's your favorite ice cream flavor?

Candy flavors: peppermint stick--REAL peppermint

Chocolate/Coffee flavors: Dublin mudslide

Fruit flavors: coconut

But Gelato from Orvieto, Italy is my favorite, and here is the combo: pistaccio (actually salty sweet, not fakey yucky), cuba al rum (dark chocolate with rum), cocco (the best coconut ever) and frutti di bosco (forest fruits). This is heaven in a cup.

What one thing (item, experience, value, whatever) from your childhood do you most hope to pass on to your child? (Or, if you'd rather, what's one thing from your childhood you want to be sure NOT to pass on?)

My childhood was really great. But when I was 10 I had my first existential experience, walking up my road. This will sound loopy, but all of a sudden my own name popped into my head and I realized that person was me, and that I would only ever be Rosemary. I got an instant sense of myself/personhood/individuality and I want Pascal to have that.

Old 06-28-2011, 04:26 AM

Rosemary, I had a moment like that in childhood, too.  I was probably around the same age.  I just all of a sudden realized, "Hey, I'm me...." and was kind of blown away by the whole idea of being my own person, and that who I was is who I was (am) for life... I guess you probably know what I'm talking about.  Glad I'm not the only loopy one :)

Care to keep playing the question game?   What do you think are your greatest strengths and weaknesses as a parent? 

Amanda- mama to Lincoln 1/09 and expecting #2 10/11!
Old 06-28-2011, 10:22 AM

What is your favorite season? Why?

Wife to DHluxlove.gif DS 98thumb.gif DD 03flower.gif DS 09 babyf.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

She is here!!! Oct 5th!!!joy.gif

Old 06-28-2011, 11:14 AM

Of what are you especially tolerant?

What makes you lose patience the fastest?

Would you rather be cut off in traffic or have someone else take credit for some bit of work you did?

What's your favorite material for clothing to be made out of?

Do you have pets?

Do you like short stories?

Do you "get" poetry?

What's your favorite scent/smell?

On a farm with our kiddo (nearly 2), two dogs, two cats, ten goats, two donkeys, nine sheep, a bunch of chickens, and a husband (in the winters). We have another on the way!
Old 06-28-2011, 12:20 PM

Since you cook for a living, I would guess there are times when the last thing you want to do is be in the kitchen during your off-time too, so what is your favorite super-easy go-to recipe for a quick yummy meal? (And yes, I will admit in advance that this question might be a teensy bit self-servingSheepish.gif...).

P.S. I love the names...Ynez Luz or Alba Luz are so cute! Thanks for sharing.  

Head over heels for DHjoy.gif bonus mama to super sweet DSS (10/9)superhero.gif and mama to DD (10/11)loveeyes.gif! nocirc.gif  sewmachine.gif  goorganic.jpg

Old 06-28-2011, 03:02 PM

Hi again! Wow, such good questions. This is probably good for me.

What do you think are your greatest strengths and weaknesses as a parent?

Strengths: I'm fun (I like to think so.) I am pretty sure that I have something to do with DS's generally agreeable, non-bratty attitude, though that is mostly his. I encourage manners and kindness/gentleness in a low-key, "fun" way.

Weaknesses: I have a short attention span for play. I often have set a timer for MYSELF for 15-20 minutes of just focus on him and watch him play, which is what he likes me to do, and which has the same impact on me as my attempts at meditation.

What is your favorite season? Why?

It used to be fall, and I still love fall, but since DH has summers off and is around then, I really love summer a shmeency bit more now.

Of what are you especially tolerant?

Children banging on the piano.

What makes you lose patience the fastest?

Whining.

Would you rather be cut off in traffic or have someone else take credit for some bit of work you did?

stuck in traffic. I wish I could say the other one.

What's your favorite material for clothing to be made out of?

Linen yarn

Do you have pets?

not yet!

Do you like short stories?

Oh, yes! Just gobbled up lots of Alice Munro.

Do you "get" poetry?

Usually.

What's your favorite scent/smell?

Tomato leaves.

what is your favorite super-easy go-to recipe for a quick yummy meal?

Pasta alla carbonara and green salad. That pasta is filling and quick and you don't need extra courses with it. It's pancetta or bacon (guanciale, actually, but who has guanciale in the fridge all the time?) cooked up and diced, then tossed in with a raw, beaten egg per person and hot pasta, bit of milk, olive oil, parmesan, and pepper. Stir the egg in with the hot pasta until it is cooked, but still creamy.  ALWAYS salt the pasta water until it tastes salty to you (I use at least a tablespoon per pound of pasta). This means that you don't have to salt the sauce and the flavor is imbedded into the noodles. If you learn anything ever about pasta, learn that!!! Oh, and shave 2 minutes off the box time for cooking instructions.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:21 AM

Do you enjoy traveling? What places are on your must see list?

Mama to DS (03/09) and DD (10/11) and married to the love of my life

Old 06-29-2011, 07:23 PM

Do you watch TV? And if you do, what types of shows?

What's your favorite smell? (I know that's weird, but I looooove smells) And has pregnancy changed your sense of smell at all?

Mom to Eli babyboy.gif 10/18/11 and loving wife to Derrin. heartbeat.gif 

Proud to be "that" girl--the crazy bedsharing, sling-wearing, breastfeeding mama everyone

thinks is crazy!

Old 06-29-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodge View Post

Do you enjoy traveling? What places are on your must see list?

I love traveling once I have arrived, but I am absolutely terrified of flying. I still will do it as a horrible means to an end, but it's gotten much worse since being a parent. That said, I want to go to Madagascar, Morocco, Greece, Sicily, New Orleans, and Finland.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinket90 View Post

Do you watch TV? And if you do, what types of shows?

What's your favorite smell? (I know that's weird, but I looooove smells) And has pregnancy changed your sense of smell at all?

I watch online--no TV in the house. I like 30 Rock and the Office. Probably I would like other shows if I knew about them, but I don't. Guiltily, I have in the past been hooked on The O.C. (in all irony), The Biggest Loser and Project Runway.

Someone asked about smells before, and I said Tomato leaves, but since we're at it, lavender when it is fresh, beach roses, real vanilla, and the ocean. No, pregnancy hasn't changed my sense of smell.

Old 07-01-2011, 06:54 AM

What is your favorite thing about pregnancy?

What is your favorite thing about being a Mom?

Old 07-01-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainebirdgirl View Post

What is your favorite thing about pregnancy?

What is your favorite thing about being a Mom?

My favorite thing about pregnancy is that my DH gives me massages on request.

I love that being a mother has given me a person who I love differently and more intensely than anyone before. I used to not be able to imagine my life with a child, and now imagining life without him is impossible. Even its attendant worries are something I love, odd as that may sound.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:07 PM

Rosemary- I just sent DH your recipe for cucumber soup... crossing my fingers that we'll enjoy a cold bowl of it tonight! 

Amy, feathering our nest with sweet husband O and baby girl, P (October 2011). 

User Tag List