Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 06-26-2011, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter
~pi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This is a spotlight thread for Amy May!

What is a spotlight thread?

A spotlight thread is a thread where we ask questions of another DDC member and read & respond to her answers. It's a fun way to get to know other DDC members a little better.

How do I get a spotlight thread?

What kinds of questions can I ask?

Whatever you like -- silly, weird, personal, you name it. The person being spotlit gets to decide whether/how to answer.

Looking forward to getting to know Amy May a little better!

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#2 of 20 Old 06-26-2011, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter
~pi

What does your MDC user name mean? How did you choose it? If it's your real name, do you use both first and middle in real life?

Tell us a little about where you live. (Be as vague or as specific as you like.) What do you like about it? What brought and/or kept you there?

What's the last thing you ate?

If you had to choose, would you rather have a two week camping vacation or a weekend in a luxury hotel?

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#3 of 20 Old 06-27-2011, 11:18 AM

What has been your proudest moment in life so far?

What's your favorite ice cream flavor?

What one thing (item, experience, value, whatever) from your childhood do you most hope to pass on to your child? (Or, if you'd rather, what's one thing from your childhood you want to be sure NOT to pass on?)

#4 of 20 Old 06-27-2011, 06:13 PM

Do you have any name(s) picked out for you LO? If so, are you willing to share?

What made you decide to become a MW?

How many children do you want to have?

Momma to DS (2/08) and #2 due 10/11.

#5 of 20 Old 06-27-2011, 07:05 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Should we wait for her to answer these before I overwhelm her with more (Amy May, feel free to answer that!)

Rosemary, married  mama to Pascal 3/08 and expecting #2 on Halloween.
#6 of 20 Old 06-28-2011, 10:14 AM

Of what are you especially tolerant?

What makes you lose patience the fastest?

Would you rather be cut off in traffic or have someone else take credit for some bit of work you did?

What's your favorite material for clothing to be made out of?

Do you have pets?

Do you like short stories?

Do you "get" poetry?

What's your favorite scent/smell?

On a farm with our kiddo (nearly 2), two dogs, two cats, ten goats, two donkeys, nine sheep, a bunch of chickens, and a husband (in the winters). We have another on the way!
#7 of 20 Old 07-01-2011, 05:56 AM

What is your favorite thing about pregnancy so far?

What are you most excited for with becoming a Mom?

#8 of 20 Old 07-06-2011, 09:02 AM

Just got back from an amazing 10 day vacation in Colorado visiting family and friends (I grew up in Boulder).  I am actually still a bit impressed with myself- didn't go on facebook the entire time, and only used my blackberry to see email.  Totally a huge deal for me to spend that much time away from a computer!  It was a much needed break...

What does your MDC user name mean? How did you choose it? If it's your real name, do you use both first and middle in real life?

Not so original on this one.  My first name is Amy, and my last name, May.  When my husband first told his parents about me, he told them my name was like their family name, May, just spelled differently.  So, I'm an anagram of myself.

Tell us a little about where you live. (Be as vague or as specific as you like.) What do you like about it? What brought and/or kept you there?

Jamaica Plain, Boston.  We live across the street from a 285 acre arborretum and near ponds and trails... about as green and suburban as you can get in Boston proper.  I moved to Boston to marry my husband.  I spent 5 years living in NYC and stuck in a hamster wheel working on Wall Street.  I had bought a beautiful condo overlooking the Hudson River, but it meant I was trapped in my job... I was miserable but couldn't quit because I needed to pay for this condo!  But, I eventually decided that it wasn't worth it and I COULD leave.  So, I met my husband on a blind date, and on our way to the restaurant for lunch told him, "Hi, my name is Amy.  I like to run in Central Park, and I'm going to quit my job, sell my condo, and move to Charlotte."  I picked Charlotte because it just has a nice ring to it and it seemed like everyone there must be really nice, though I had never been.  Fortunatlely, I moved to Boston instead, and we got married last June.  We have a super sweet house, and I truly think that the only reason we got such a great deal is that the landlord and I had gone to the same middle school back in Boulder, CO!

What's the last thing you ate?

Another boring one... we just got back from vacation late last night, so tried to throw together some food/snacks from bare scraps leftover in our pantry.  Just had a Trader Joes' blueberry cereal bar.  My mouth is drooling for lunch though, and a big glass of whole milk. 

If you had to choose, would you rather have a two week camping vacation or a weekend in a luxury hotel?

Camping!  Not that staying in a nice hotel isn't a lot of fun, but I'm all about outdoor activities.  During our vacation, DH and I went camping with my sister & brother-in-law at Rocky Mountain National Park, and it was awesome.  Unfortunately, the forests have been attacked by beetle infestations (all you in BC and the NW can probably relate), so they had to cut down a ton of trees, and it was sad to see our campsite so open and exposed, instead of under pine trees.  DH and I used an old tent that I used to pitch in our back yard as a kid.  The zipper has long since broken, so we had fresh air all night long... We slept on an air mattress, which makes a huge difference for a pregnant lady, and my dear sister picked the campsite pretty close to the bathroom.  I still prefer peeing in the woods whenever camping, but having a sink and running water is also really nice!  We saw a ton of wildlife, and drove up Trail Ridge Road to an alpine center at over 12,000 feet in elevation (or something like 3.5 to 4 km high). 

Amy, feathering our nest with sweet husband O and baby girl, P (October 2011). 
#9 of 20 Old 07-06-2011, 09:22 AM

Yay, Amy May is back!  I was wondering where you'd gone!  Your vacation sounds great.  

heartbeat.gif  Baby girl arrived 10/11/11 heartbeat.gif

#10 of 20 Old 07-06-2011, 09:51 AM

Ooh, these ones are hard...

Proudest moment:  My 7th marathon was in Paris, and I had trained all winter to run a personal best time and qualify for Boston Marathon (I'd previously missed qualifying by 47 seconds....).  I was running the race and feeling strong when suddenly, just a bit past 13 miles, my hamstring snapped.  I literally heard it pop, totally disgusting, and I buckled down to the ground.  I couldn't run, but could hobble and limp, so I was determined to finish.  I'd gone all the way to Paris to run this, no way I was going to not finish.  Plus, I was meeting my friend afterwards for lunch!  I had been running with the "fast crowd" so pulled over to the edge of the course and just limped along.  Our race bibs had our names on them, so everyone was cheering, "Allez, Amy!"  At 30 km (out of 42 km), I stopped at a medic tent and got a quick massage and some sports tape, and the medic heard my name and said, "Ooooh, Amy, like Amy Winehouse."  Who knew that she would inspire me (indirectly) to run a marathon?!?!?  Anyway, I started slow jogging with the tape binding my hamstring, but as soon as I started sweating, the tape began peeling.  The course was roped off with caution tape, and I went to rip some slack off the end of the tape, and tied it tightly around my hamstring to keep it in place.  I just kept going, literally only focused on putting one foot in front of the other.  It was my slowest marathon ever, but by far the one that was the biggest accomplishment to finish.

Ice Cream Flavor:  Ben & Jerry's Mission to Marzipan, or Americone Dream. 

What I hope to pass on to our child: Sense of adventure and lack of fear around going outside the comfort zone...  I'm sure I caused my parents a good bit of worry, but they trusted that they raised me to be an independent thinker and make wise decisions.  For example, after my first semester of college, I realized I wasn't ready to be in school and withdrew and moved to NYC, where I worked as a cocktail waitress at a small concert venue and was totally broke.  I did go back to school the next fall, but later took off a second semester a few years later so that I wouldn't be between class years.  I went to visit my best friend who was writing a thesis on a dam in Chile, and was planning on staying in South America for a month.  I ended up just staying for 4 months, most of the time in Brazil, and lived with people in their homes- when I arrived I knew one person, who kept introducing me to people who introduced me to people... So, I've had a lot of cool adventures and experiences because I've been open to doing things outside of the expected order.  I hope our child is also open to going against the grain and discovering on their own terms what works for them. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by dear abbey View Post

What has been your proudest moment in life so far?

What's your favorite ice cream flavor?

What one thing (item, experience, value, whatever) from your childhood do you most hope to pass on to your child? (Or, if you'd rather, what's one thing from your childhood you want to be sure NOT to pass on?)

#11 of 20 Old 07-06-2011, 10:10 AM

Names:  Gulp, none at ALL so far!  We know we won't name the kid anything that rhymes with May (Kay, Jay, Faye, Ray), and no months (June, April, July...).   Also, Fannie, Ginnie, and Sallie are all out, though DH jokes he likes the idea of naming a girl Sallie May, so that everyone will owe her money (we both still have student loans with our good friend Sallie).  We have a bunch of library books out, but haven't even begun to discuss.  However, we are leaning towards a more international name (DH has a West African name).  Meaning is important, and for me, a name that is somewhat phonetic (spelling?) and easy to pronounce is essential.  We need to get on that soon...

Why I'm becoming a midwife: Another story to this one!  In addition to my own amazing mother, I've had the honor of being "mothered" by two other amazing women in my life.  One, the mother of my two close childhood friends, is also a childbirth educator.  I'd never really connected the two, but I'd grown up exposed to the birth world, which I thought was incredible and amazing.  I'd put her in touch with multiple friends of mine who were pregnant or having breastfeeding issues etc, and she'd connected me to a family with twin newborns, whom I nanny'd for for a few years.  I always assumed that she'd be involved in my births someday too (side note, when we were back in CO, she had a private class for DH and I on labor techniques- it was awesome). 

Anyway, I went to a women's college and got a degree in Women's Studies, and just sort of assumed that I'd be working for some sort of non-profit helping women.  After graduation though, I moved to NYC where I was astonished to realize that what with paying rent in Manhattan, student loans (see Sallie Mae, above), and my lack of a trust fund, I actually needed a real job!  I somehow wound up on Wall Street (I'd gone to a Seven Sisters elite women's college, gotten good grades, and somehow got a 1510 on my SATs, which are honestly the reason I believe I was hired...) and began working my way up the corporate ladder.  I started out as an admin and just kept getting more and more certifications, but I never felt like I belonged.  So, my decision to leave NYC was a huge one, but it meant I had a fresh start and could assess on my own terms where I wanted to be.  Midwifery was something I'd always been interested in, but never thought it was actually possible.  But, I moved to Boston, got married to the most amazing man on the planet, and began a midwifery program to be a home-birth midwife.  I'm still working "my dayjob", which is in "soft finance", but intend to leave permanantly after baby is born and then transfer full-time into birth work  (I'm also a doula, and want to get certified this summer as a childbirth educator).  I can't be full-on doing birth work with a 9-5 job though!   

So, becoming a midwife seems like a big jump from working in finance, but it feels like I'm just going full-circle to where I always thought I would be- helping & empowering women (and families).  I got pregnant during the course (they say every year a few women do), and I feel like becoming a mother myself is part of the process of becoming a midwife too (though certainly not essential).  I am a huge fan of birth, and trust that God created us to birth babies- I trust in the process and normality of birth, and feel really strongly about supporting women to have loving, safe, and empowered birth experiences. 

How many kids: Three of four.  See Sallie Mae quips above.  Honestly, our biggest current thought about the number of kids we have is college education.  We intend to raise bright, intelligent & hardworking kids who get some good college scholarships... LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutucrazy View Post

Do you have any name(s) picked out for you LO? If so, are you willing to share?

What made you decide to become a MW?

How many children do you want to have?

#12 of 20 Old 07-06-2011, 10:11 AM

I'm here!  Sorry so late!  I really did miss you ladies!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryS-F View Post

Should we wait for her to answer these before I overwhelm her with more (Amy May, feel free to answer that!)

#13 of 20 Old 07-06-2011, 10:24 AM

Ooh, I don't know how to answer these either! 

Jersey knit cotton feels amazing.  In the winter, I'm all about fleece. 

I can get kind of impatient with slow walkers, like if I'm on a sidewalk, and people in front of me are a) walking slowly, and b) not walking in a straight line, I can get anoyed. 

When I'm teaching someone something, I can be pleasantly surprised at how tolerant I feel, even when things are going really slow (especially when you could do it yourself soooo much faster, but the point is to instruct someone).  So, hopefully that makes me a tolerant teacher, which will hopefully translate well as a mother!

I guess I'd rather be cut off in traffic- both are forms of disrespect and would probably bruise my ego, but it is easier to let go when it is a stranger!

No pets (yet).  We just spent our vacation with my sister's dog, a doodle (datshaund/poodle) named Jasper.  I don't know how in the world any other animal could possibly compare to this creature, he is just so cool.  I'd like a dog we could run with though.... someday!

Short stories and poetry!  Yes and yes!  I wish I did more creative writing these days, but I used to love reading and writing short stories.  While at home, I came across some of my very early journals (I began writing daily in them when I was 9 years old, but became much more sporadic in college).  When I was very young, I'd tell my parents stories, and they'd write them down.  I hope to do that with our kiddo too!

Favorite scent/smell... right now I am imagining the smell of my sister's handsoap.  I love the memories that it brings.  I guess I'd have to say something baking in the oven (like fresh bread) or lilacs or lilies on bushes. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hykue View Post

Of what are you especially tolerant?

What makes you lose patience the fastest?

Would you rather be cut off in traffic or have someone else take credit for some bit of work you did?

What's your favorite material for clothing to be made out of?

Do you have pets?

Do you like short stories?

Do you "get" poetry?

What's your favorite scent/smell?

#14 of 20 Old 07-06-2011, 10:27 AM

Favorite thing about pregnancy:  I love seeing & watching my growing belly, but the thing I love most is that I'm CONSTANTLY thinking about this person being created inside me.  I love that I can't stop thinking and wondering about this little life moving around and kicking and bouncing and being formed...  It is like I have a secret between me and God and the Universe, but I share it with all the other mothers, past and present. 

Most excited for with becoming a Mom:  Breastfeeding, and getting to see this perfect creature that came from my husband and me.  Little versions of us running around... I can't wait.  And being able to cuddle with our child.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainebirdgirl View Post

What is your favorite thing about pregnancy so far?

What are you most excited for with becoming a Mom?

#15 of 20 Old 07-07-2011, 05:36 PM

Oh, hey Amy May! I almost pm'd you to let you know you had a thread last week, but I'm glad I didn't. Your vacation sounds glorious.

Can I ask another question, since I didn't get to last week?

Do you enjoy flying?

Do you paint your walls colors or are they white?

What was your wedding like?

#16 of 20 Old 07-08-2011, 10:45 AM

LOL, thanks!  I was glad to unplug and get away, but I'm still trying to go back and read everything!

Flying:  Hmmm, I like going places.  I don't love dealing with airports or security or anything, but flying is pretty cool.  In college, I ended up dating a guy with a plane and a pilot's license.  On our first date, he took me to Newport, RI for a bowl of clam chowder, and I got to fly the plane.  That was so much fun!

Wall colors:  I used to own a tiny little studio in NYC and painted it- two different shades of blue for the "bedroom" area, a light beige for the living room, and green for the bathroom.  Right now, our walls aren't white, but we've received specific instructions from our landlord not to paint... We have an old New England house, so we're still in the process of hanging enough artwork on the walls (hung from the woodwork at the ceiling level)

My wedding:  Our wedding was a total blast... both of us had so much fun.  We got married in a garden outside a Victorian Bed and Breakfast in Colorado, and did most of the wedding preparations ourselves.  The day before we got married, both DH and I were making boutinerres and bouquets!  There was a lot of laughter at our wedding.  I remember my mom walking me down the isle and for some reason I asked for a joke.  I'll never forget the knock-knock joke my friend Aprel told as I walked!  Here is a picture... very typical of the mood... here is when our Pastor asked if anyone else in the audience had any reason why we shouldn't be married. (Sorry the pic is so big... I tried to reformat and it got all messed up!)

DSC_0390.JPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryS-F View Post

Oh, hey Amy May! I almost pm'd you to let you know you had a thread last week, but I'm glad I didn't. Your vacation sounds glorious.

Can I ask another question, since I didn't get to last week?

Do you enjoy flying?

Do you paint your walls colors or are they white?

What was your wedding like?

#17 of 20 Old 07-08-2011, 12:28 PM

Amy May, I love love love that picture (and your colors!)

Social working mommy to babygirl.gif 10/10/11, three cats, and a dog.

#18 of 20 Old 07-08-2011, 04:23 PM

Wow, what a photograph. I'm glad it's so big! You look truly happy.

#19 of 20 Old 07-09-2011, 10:13 AM

What a beautiful picture, Amy! Thanks for sharing! orngbiggrin.gif

Wife to my hubby and SAHM to two boys -  DS1 (2) and DS2 (newborn).  Forever missing our three angels in Heaven. 

#20 of 20 Old 07-10-2011, 05:13 AM

I love how your picture captures such a sense of joy/celebration. Wonderful!

dissertating mom to three

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page