hiring a doula for homebirth? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 06-27-2011, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Is anyone going to hire or (has hired) a doula for their homebirth? We will have two midwives and one apprentice (who is also a doula) here, minimum. Possibly another person to help with dd if she needs it. It's hard to know if I'm going to want the extra help a doula could provide or if she'd just be another person to add to the mix. Thoughts? Experiences?

Happily parenting our snuggly wild child since 2007 and her little brother since 2011!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 06-27-2011, 05:02 PM

I have had home births and have never had a doula nor have I ever thought it was necessary. The first birth it was my mw and her apprentice. We had to transfer and my mw came with us. The 2 nd it was just my mw but the birth was quick. My 3 rd we had the mw and her back up as my mw had a weird feeling she would need a backup ( she did). My 4 th it was my mw and her backup ( I loved the backup so much I wanted her there again) she wasn't really needed though. My 5 th it was just the mw. My dh and kids were at all of them and my brother is there to help w all the kids.
It sounds like you will already have plenty of care providers. I am assuming they know how you want to birth and support that. It doesn't sound to me like you need one but it is your house and your birth and if you want one then go for it.

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#3 of 9 Old 06-27-2011, 06:18 PM

I agree with theboysmama...

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboysmama View Post

It sounds like you will already have plenty of care providers. I am assuming they know how you want to birth and support that. It doesn't sound to me like you need one but it is your house and your birth and if you want one then go for it.

I had a volunteer doula trainee who came to my birth center birth and she was helpful and nice enough but not like WOW I couldn't have done that without her. I didn't choose her or meet her ahead of time though, so its not like it was a very personal experience.  She did think to grab the camera and take some pics of me and DS right after the birth and I so appreciated that later.

I had a HB for my second, had my MW and her assistant, and DH, and my mom was there w/ DS (actually they missed the birth which was quick, but she was taking care of him).

I am planning a HB for #3, will have MW and backup, and my parents and sister live upstairs, so planning to have them "on call" for the olders. And some other nearby friends on "standby" in case for some reason the birth is happening and none of the family are around (unlikely but possible). I feel completely fine with that and don't expect to need a doula.

I do think its good to have a "support person" dedicated to the older child though.

dissertating mom to three

#4 of 9 Old 06-27-2011, 06:52 PM

My midwife strong suggests having a doula for first time moms, so I will, but I expect that it will just be midwife, doula, husband and me.  So hopefully not SO many people.

#5 of 9 Old 06-28-2011, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, last time I didn't require any support until active labor, at which point I needed pretty much constant counterpressure because I was having back labor. If I hadn't had back labor I probably would've wanted to be left alone by everyone. Even though I needed the hands-on support and it was so incredibly helpful, people in general just annoyed me during labor.

Will definitely have people on-call to come and be with DD and/or take her somewhere, even though I'm hoping she can just hang out and be here for the birth.

Happily parenting our snuggly wild child since 2007 and her little brother since 2011!

#6 of 9 Old 06-28-2011, 03:13 PM

I'll probably have a doula for my homebirth, but i'm not actually hiring her since she's my sister and wants to be there anyway winky.gif. I'll also have a midwife and her assistant (and DH of course) but that's it...I kind of feel like having any more people would just be plain overcrowded, especially since I'm really confident in the people who will be there and I don't really feel any need for any more support. Since you say that people in general just annoyed you during your last labor and it sounds like you've already got a great team assembled, then I'd maybe skip the extra person? Totally a great idea to have someone on-call for your DD though!

Head over heels for DHjoy.gif bonus mama to super sweet DSS (10/9)superhero.gif and mama to DD (10/11)loveeyes.gif! nocirc.gif  sewmachine.gif  goorganic.jpg

#7 of 9 Old 07-07-2011, 09:35 PM

As a doula I'd say that it doesn't sound necessary, unless your midwife is very busy and plans to only come once you are deep into labor.  If you like extra physical support and that's not your husband's strong suit then having a doula for the time before your midwife comes could be quite helpful.  And doulas are great if your midwife doesn't have an assistant.  But you sound fully stocked.

Married to my favorite person (together since '01, married since '05), the hapa papa to my queeuty quapa DD, born 10/11.

We baby wear, co-sleep, cloth diaper, don't vax and intend to nurse for a good long time.  

I don't care what you do as long as it works for your family.

#8 of 9 Old 07-08-2011, 01:54 PM

I've hired a doula for my planned homebirth.
I could probably make it just fine for a homebirth without one, but if I transfer, I want an additional buffer person who is hospital knowledgeable. I can ask my husband to become a birth partner for me. I don't feel its fair to ask him to become an accomplished hospital negotiator, too.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#9 of 9 Old 07-16-2011, 01:17 PM

You might also consider having a good friend there. I don't know if you have anyone available to do something like this but my best friend and another friend are on call to come when we have our homebirth. Depending on the time of day I will call one or both. I have 3 kids so definitely need someone to entertain or be here for the kids. I also just love having a girlfriend here that can be moral support or take pictures or whatever is needed. My midwife will have an assistant with her but having the girlfriend there is just special.

Homeschooling mama to 3 Italian babies. homeschool.gif  Due with #4 on Sept. 28! Planning a rockin' Homebirth. homebirth.jpg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page