What's on your labor and delivery playlist? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 07-09-2011, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've decided to make a few playlists to bring to the hospital with me as well as listen to at home before I go...

I'm thinking of a mellow list of songs as well as something more upbeat and maybe a third somewhere in the middle. I need inspiration! What will you be listening to on your ipod?

I'm heading out now but I'll be back with some of the songs I've been thinking of... Can't wait to be inspired by you guys too!

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 07-09-2011, 04:34 PM

I haven't had a playlist or mood music during any pregnancy, I had the TV on though. This time around though I would like to labor in the tub and that got me thinking because they have a CD player and other things for environment. I came across Birth Affirmations but as far as music...I have no idea! I'm stalking this thread. 

Jamie: Kinda crunchy, computer geeky, very blessed, attached mama to five
R (4/1997), A (6/2002), B (07/2007), K (06/09) & N (10/17/2011)

#3 of 9 Old 07-09-2011, 06:24 PM

Colbie Caill's song, Capri.  What a beautiful song!  Definitely listen to it on i-tunes...

Amy, feathering our nest with sweet husband O and baby girl, P (October 2011). 
#4 of 9 Old 07-09-2011, 08:33 PM

Leonard Cohen - Sisters of Mercy, from Live in London.  That's my song!  That whole album is basically my birth meditation album really.  

heartbeat.gif  Baby girl arrived 10/11/11 heartbeat.gif

#5 of 9 Old 07-09-2011, 10:19 PM

I had a few different things depending on what I wanted at that time.  Classical music, nature sounds (thunderstorms, rainforests, etc), Native American flutes & beats, and some guided imagery discs for labor.

On a side note, one of my friends listened to heavy metal during her labor.  She said it helped her to focus on the ctx, lol. 

Amy Lynn, Loving wife stillheart.gifand mom to 3 sweethearts. Christopher (8/06), Katherine (10/08), and Matthew (09/11).  2 time VBAC Momma and NCB & BFing advocate.

#6 of 9 Old 07-10-2011, 08:58 AM

I was googling some ideas and thought this was a great one....

Theme from Rocky- lighten themood and inspire you to keep goin if needed :)

this next song is just happy feel good!!!!

Sigur Ros - inní mér syngur vitleysingur  

some old reggae

Irish and Nefoundland music for familly fun in early labour

mom to ds '07 first day of a new year, dd '09 in the caul, and  ds '11 at home Oct 24th

#7 of 9 Old 07-10-2011, 06:28 PM

I've just barely started thinking about this, but a couple songs I love right now that I think will bring me comfort and inspiration in labor are 

Wonderful by My Morning Jacket and Flower by Amos Lee. I expect some reggae will end up on my playlist too, probably old Van Morrison, maybe the Band; Rings by Mike Gordon and Leo Kottke makes me happy too. 

I'm eager to work on this. Last time I didn't have an ipod yet and just had favorite CDs packed, but all I did was push once I got to the birth center, so we never put music on there. We probably had music on at home during labor, but I don't remember. I might end up making a few playlists this time - one for mellow early labor at home, one for soothing me during the hour long car ride to the birth center, and one for the the tougher parts of labor and/or after baby is out (not sure I'll actually want music when I'm really focused on birthing but maybe right after).

Looking forward to getting more ideas here.

#8 of 9 Old 07-10-2011, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

I think I'll have some Ani DiFranco when I need something intense! I love her!!  I also love Reggae, Grateful Dead, Lyle Lovett... those types of things for my mellow music. I also have some yoga chant music which I like. I'm used to relaxing to it during yoga so I think that will be good to have if the mood strikes!  Once I get it all together I list it... :)

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#9 of 9 Old 07-11-2011, 10:04 AM

Beth Champion Mason - "Remember This."

Seriously. Listen to it. It is going on one of my playlists for sure. I'm going to pick a bunch of my favorite (slower) songs that are in tenor range so I can try to focus on singing along in a lower pitch and relaxing. I used to DJ karaoke and I love to sing, so I'm hoping that will keep me making low noises and help to keep me from tensing up... But we'll see.

Alaskan Wife and Mama to my special little guy ribbluyel.gif (9/13/11) and expecting #2 (2/21/13)!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page