If you are pleased with your diet, please share what you're doing! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 07-14-2011, 05:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Could someone who feels that they are eating well this pregnancy please share your meal plans or your general intake with me? I'm beginning to slip, seeking instant energy when I feel hungry (read: a cookie. A granola bar.) 

TIA!

Rosemary, married  mama to Pascal 3/08 and expecting #2 on Halloween.
#2 of 29 Old 07-14-2011, 05:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I had gestational diabetes (mild, diet-controlled) with my second so I am assuming I have it this time too (though so far very good blood sugar numbers) and eat the way I did before. So its very particular to my situation, but I feel very good on this way to eat and I am very careful about my food, so yes, I think I am eating well. I also log all my food. I eat every 3 hours and really try not to skip any meals. I don't plan like crazy, but I do plan loosely. I find its a lot of effort but worth it to stay healthy and off meds.

I eat a very protein-rich breakfast (usually 2 eggs, yogurt or chia seed mix with some berries or a small serving of fruit, maybe a half an avocado, etc. No grain, no liquid milk, no juice). I then eat smaller snacky-meals through the day, and I am sure to include a source of protein in every one of them. I also eat little to no grains, starchy veg, no sweetened food except ice cream sometimes in the evening. I also include a serving of fruit or veggies with each, and for me, usually veggie b/c I keep my fruit to maximum 2 servings a day, sometimes less.

I like to keep lots of nuts and seeds, easy-to-eat veggies, cheese, yogurt, hummos, etc around, so that I can grab something fast when I need it. I go for calorie/nutrient dense, but low sugar/carb choices when I can. I make sure to have at least one or two "salad" kind of things already in the fridge- quinoa/bean/veggie, kale-and-seed, cabbage salad, etc. If I didn't have suspected GD I would also probably go for full-fat milk more often, but its a little too high in sugar for me to have a lot of that. I personally really like the "nola" (grain-free granola) from the "girl gone primal" blog and when I can be bothered to make it, I love having that around in the freezer, very nice with some yogurt and a few berries... quick, very filling.

Here is my food log from yesterday (this is my real food log, so, not like the ideal diet or something, but I felt good and full all day)

breakfast: Chia/hemp porridge with almond milk and yogurt and 6 frozen raspberries, 2 eggs fried in butter, coffee with half-half

morning snack: 1/2 peach, ~1/4 cup peanuts, 1 oz cheese

lunch: leftover tempeh and cauliflower stir fry, kale-and-seed salad, iced nettle/RRL tea

afternoon snack: homemade coconut-flour blueberry muffin (low carb high protein). Some blueberries we picked while out.

dinner: miso-tofu-swiss chard soup, 4 soy meatballs with tomato sauce

evening snack: yogurt with raspberries and hemp seeds, chammomile tea.

dissertating mom to three

#3 of 29 Old 07-14-2011, 05:50 AM

fwiw, logging food (which I do to keep track of blood sugar too) does actually help me to keep on top of what I am eating. not claiming I am perfect (by a long shot!) but I can see what is going on and knowing I will log it, helps me to make better choices sometimes :)

#4 of 29 Old 07-14-2011, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks emmaegbert. You sound sickeningly healthy!

So today I ate one egg fried in a little cooking spray with a piece of 100% whole wheat toast. Then I got hungry, so I ate a serving of Barbara's high fiber cereal with 1% milk. Now I am hungry AGAIN and seriously folks, I have only been awake for three hours. There must be a better way for me. I don't do well staying full on all protein, but I need some. I'm thinking I will have a little kiefer now...

#5 of 29 Old 07-14-2011, 07:57 AM

I can't say that I am super please with how I'm eating, but my downfall is also being hungry ALL THE TIME. The only thing that saves me is 1) NO ice cream in the house (I gained 4 lbs in one week thanks to that stuff, no more) and 2) lots of fruit/veggie snack options that are quick. I make sure to always have several of the following in the house - blueberries or strawberries (if necessary I'll buy frozen, thaw them and eat with yogurt), cut carrots and hummus, pears, cut pineapple, watermelon, cucumbers or cherry tomatoes. If I'm in the "desparate hunger" place, I'll go to town on any of those and come out sane again. If I know I've eaten enough nutritious food that day and I'm still starving, my go-to tummy filler is air popped popcorn with a bit of melted butter - then I can actually sleep wink1.gif

Amy, mom to E superhero.gifsince April 2008 and C babyboy.gif since October 2011, wife to P since September 2006.

#6 of 29 Old 07-14-2011, 11:52 AM

Rosemary S-F, I definitely need at least 2 eggs in the morning and I usually have some other protein as well (today I had 3 eggs and some plain yogurt). and then I eat again 2-3 hours later. Kefir sounds like a good choice, also yogurt, you could put some PB on that toast and it might stave off the wolves for an extra hour or so... I like full-fat dairy myself, way more filling and tasty IMO. Anyway, I am not "sickeningly healthy" by choice, though when forced to be (by the food log I send my MWs every week and the blood sugar meter checking on my blood sugar every morning and one hour after meals) I do actually feel much less hunger. That ravenous feeling pretty much goes away and in fact I have to be conscious sometimes of eating often enough (or else next time I eat I get a blood sugar spike, even if its a very modest serving). I try to have a mix of fat and protein, not just protein, did I say that already?

Dreamy- ICE CREAM. It kills me. I have no self control about ice cream. For 2 months we are living with my parents and they have ice cream almost every single day. I absolutely cannot resist it if it is in the freezer. I just try to eat ULTRA healthy all day long and then at night if I want, I let myself have some. Once in a while (like yesterday) I can substitute yogurt and fruit but its not the same. Actually, for me at least, as treats go, ice cream is way better than, say, a granola bar, or a cookie. A fairly generous serving of hershey's ice cream (not what I would choose but what is here) has under 20g carbs. (for reference I am shooting for roughly 100g per day, which makes my diet way off the standard recommendations... when I logged online with a nutrition tracker for a couple of weeks, I was getting about 50% calories from fat, and 25% each from carbs and protein. That's very rough, I am not actually into counting calories or macro nutrients, I think in terms of foods, but I wanted to see what I was actually doing).

I have to stay within normal blood sugar ranges w.out medication to have a homebirth so I am really motivated. Of course I "slip up" from time to time but for me, with the exception of ice cream, I found that once I made the decision about how to eat, its easier. I do feel sometimes like I have an induced eating disorder- its like having the more extreme rules (no bread, no sugar) is easier for me than being moderate. Oh well.

#7 of 29 Old 07-14-2011, 06:13 PM

For the hunger upping the protein will definitely help. One egg wouldn't be anywhere near enough protein for me.

I have been diagnosed with gd again this time & so far am controlling it just by diet & exercise. My diet is pretty strict. Currently all my meals (usually 5 a day) consist of 30grams of protein, 10 grams of carbs (no sugar) & 6 grams of fat. I don't have a lot of variance in my diet selections but that is in large part because of my own personality (it doesn't bother me to eat the same things repeatedly). I do quite a few protein shakes (generally two a day) with natural peanut butter.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#8 of 29 Old 07-15-2011, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeguard View Post

For the hunger upping the protein will definitely help. One egg wouldn't be anywhere near enough protein for me.

Interesting on the one egg thing. I didn't start eating eggs regularly for breakfast until I was married. DH comes from a family of dieter women, and it never occurred to me that the one egg thing was not enough. I just thought that was a "girl" serving size. Interesting!

#9 of 29 Old 07-15-2011, 12:33 PM

Most recently my egg meal was 3 whole eggs & 5 egg whites. Sounds like a crazy huge amount but when you are not having a lot of carbs that's where you get in the food. I will admit I found that more than I would like in a sitting but more from a this is boring than omg I'm full way.

#10 of 29 Old 07-15-2011, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeguard View Post

Most recently my egg meal was 3 whole eggs & 5 egg whites. Sounds like a crazy huge amount but when you are not having a lot of carbs that's where you get in the food. I will admit I found that more than I would like in a sitting but more from a this is boring than omg I'm full way.

That sounds kind of amazing.

This morning dh made me eggs w/ cheese. I'm guessing it was about 2-3 scrambled with cheese and was quite filling.

But other than eggs, what is there for breakfast? Egg whites come up as a VERY mild reaction on my allergy skin test, so I try to limit them.

#11 of 29 Old 07-15-2011, 02:45 PM

I'm a pretty big fan of nuts for breakfast.  They are more carby than eggs, but some nuts, some cheese, and a banana seem to hold me well in the morning and keep the leg cramps away.  I'm struggling with dinners...right now I'm pretty much out of food at home due to the move and eating out is a pain when trying to be high protein, lower carb, and can't eat much in one sitting.

Social working mommy to babygirl.gif 10/10/11, three cats, and a dog.

#12 of 29 Old 07-15-2011, 03:11 PM

Rosemary - that sounds great - I wish I could have the cheese! The main other thing I do for breakfast is protein shakes. I really struggle to eat anything in the morning so the protein shakes gets it in without me feeling like I have to sit in front of a big plate of food. If I had my choice I wouldn't eat until well into the afternoon.

Livacreature - my staple when we have to eat out is salad with grilled chicken. You can get it pretty much everywhere (even fast food places). I will often order an extra chicken breast to add to it as they tend to be skimpy on the chicken & that is where the protein is. You have to watch the dressing of course. Sometimes the salads have boiled eggs on them so that helps up the protein content. Careful with using cheese & nuts as protein sources - they do have protein but most of the time if you look you'll they are a better source of fat than protein - which is good to for keeping bs stable.

I really think a lot of us are bad for skimping ourselves on protein. No one's fault really - we just live in a really carb centered culture & don't have a good handle on what protein sources are & how much we should have. I've learned a LOT about this over the past couple years & it has certainly changed my view of a healthy diet. A friend of mine now calls me a weirdo on a regular basis!

#13 of 29 Old 07-16-2011, 03:17 AM

I am eating as much fruit/ veggies as I want to, thankfully I have an appetite for them and there's an inexpensive produce stand 1 mile from my house.  For lunch I usually roast a small chicken and the kids and I divide it.  I snack on fresh mozzarella if it's in the house, and try to limit bread/ juice to twice a day, with a generous topping of peanut butter or butter.  I'm drinking a lot of ice water!!  Usually at night my son makes a dessert and I have one piece, for some reason I'm not tempted to go overboard.  If I do get a huge sugar craving I'll have a couple tablespoons of semi sweet chocolate chips.

#14 of 29 Old 07-16-2011, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryS-F View Post

Thanks emmaegbert. You sound sickeningly healthy!

So today I ate one egg fried in a little cooking spray with a piece of 100% whole wheat toast. Then I got hungry, so I ate a serving of Barbara's high fiber cereal with 1% milk. Now I am hungry AGAIN and seriously folks, I have only been awake for three hours. There must be a better way for me. I don't do well staying full on all protein, but I need some. I'm thinking I will have a little kiefer now...

You might want to add more fat... for me, I find fat keeps hunger at bay.  Maybe try an experiment using a tbs of butter to fry the egg and another tbs of butter on toast, just to gauge your hunger levels.  I love bread, but I always load it with peanut butter or butter which really keeps me from getting hungry quickly, whereas if I just eat the bread I'm starving an hour later.

#15 of 29 Old 07-16-2011, 05:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalmum View Post

You might want to add more fat... for me, I find fat keeps hunger at bay.  Maybe try an experiment using a tbs of butter to fry the egg and another tbs of butter on toast, just to gauge your hunger levels.  I love bread, but I always load it with peanut butter or butter which really keeps me from getting hungry quickly, whereas if I just eat the bread I'm starving an hour later.

I was putting the egg on the toast for an open faced sandwich...but you're right, this was clearly not satisfying. Last pg I took the Bradley advice and ate butter twice a day. I wasn't starving, but I also gained much more weight with their overall diet than I wanted to (the diet also has you drinking juice, which I now avoid.)

I was eating cottage cheese this morning because I like it and it is high in protein, when DH said (sarcastically), "That looks good." In defense I said it was and that he could have some too, if he wanted. Then he said it looked like baby vomit. puke.gifand it did. He VERY quickly apologized when he saw how it affected me. I ate it all, but it lost some of its former sparkle!

#16 of 29 Old 07-16-2011, 10:25 AM

DHs should keep their darn mouths shut sometimes.

breakfast...

do you like greek yogurt? I find full-fat greet yogurt very filling (also hard to find, most is the 2% or no fat.) I like it with some chopped toasted nuts, some cut up fruit, maybe a drizzle of honey (not at the moment, but if I didn't have GD, a tsp of honey or so).

did I mention the grain-free granola recipe on girl gone primal blog? love that, its very filling with a bit of yogurt and fruit or something. Oh never mind, made with egg whites.

tofu scramble, tempeh "bacon" strips... I am vegetarian though. What about some meat if you eat that? breafast burrito/taco with beans and cheese might be nice, or a quesadilla type thing.

#17 of 29 Old 07-16-2011, 11:38 AM

or yeah, just go for the "man portion" of 2 eggs and see how you feel :)

(my DH would probably consider 2 eggs the 'girl' portion... I noticed for a while when he was getting up with DS before DD and I, he was making 4 eggs for him and DS. Took me a couple days to figure out why we kept running out of eggs... and I buy like 4 dozen a week, so I really don't expect to run out!)

#18 of 29 Old 07-16-2011, 01:39 PM
~pi

Ditto on nuts for breakfast. My daily breakfast these days is about 1/2 - 1 cup of plain yogourt with a handful of nuts, a bunch of seeds and a few raisins on top. It's super tasty and easily keeps me going until lunch. It works so well for me that I occasionally have it again when I need an afternoon snack. At home I use 2% yogourt but while away I very much enjoyed Swiss yogourt, which is slightly higher in milk fat. I haven't found anything quite as good at home, and don't particularly like Greek style myself.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#19 of 29 Old 07-17-2011, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter

I am noticing a trend here. Most of you who are pleased with your diets have or suspect GD. Would you say that, philosophically, low carb is a healthier, more sustaining way for people in general, or more for yourself? I am just curious. Did you used to be a carb lover before you experienced GD or Diabetes?

#20 of 29 Old 07-17-2011, 09:13 AM

Not GD but I am fairly pleased with my diet this pregnancy. And I am not low-carbing (I have a different problem: I have PCOS and normally take metformin, which controls my carb intake. Now I am off it and have to resist the urge to eat half a loaf of bread at once.) I am gaining more than I would like, but I'll be honest: I'm HUNGRY and I eat a lot. I am really happy with how much healthy food I am getting in--I am still eating cake but I'm getting lots of fruit and veg. Being pregnant in summer has its upsides--I can make a big container of gazpacho or salad and eat a lot of it. With DD I was due in January, and the produce selection was pretty poor at the end--plus, it was so cold and damp, all I wanted was noodle soup and Indian take-out and things with lots of potatoes.

What's been good for me is that since I am hungry so often, I make healthy things that I can just pull together for snacks. So there's soup, salad, homemade bread, grilled chicken, cheese, yogurts, and cut up fruit ready to eat now that doesn't require any work at all. (Also, chocolate cupcakes, but I said I wasn't perfect ;) ) Also, a container full of pesto, so I can just boil some pasta and have a hot meal with almost no effort. DD is in camp for 4 weeks so I am home alone for most of the day. I'm taking in more calories than I should be, but in terms of nutrition I'm not doing badly. (I do have an addiction to homemade strawberry lemonade, but at least it has real fruit in it along with the sugar?) 

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

#21 of 29 Old 07-17-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:

I am noticing a trend here. Most of you who are pleased with your diets have or suspect GD. Would you say that, philosophically, low carb is a healthier, more sustaining way for people in general, or more for yourself? I am just curious. Did you used to be a carb lover before you experienced GD or Diabetes?

I am another with GD/borderline GD. I can't speak for others, but for me, the low carb/high protein/high fiber/good fats diet is infinitely healthier for me. I am really, really hoping I have the discipline to stick with it after I have this baby. I did this same diet with my son two years ago and I went straight back to a fairly unhealthy carb addicted diet very shortly after he was born.

Everything improves for me on this type of diet: heartburn disappears completely, no constipation, no diarrhea or other bowel irritations, no swelling at all, very minimal weight gain, headaches all but disappear, good energy levels and the improvement of my overall mood on a daily basis is incredible. My husband even noted that I look better when I eat like this.

I would have to think in general, that most people would benefit greatly from keeping their blood sugar stable by eating lots of fiber and protein and healthy fat, limiting carbs, and, probably equally important, eating at close regular intervals. But, different bodies respond to different things so... everyone's got to do what's best for them.

#22 of 29 Old 07-17-2011, 09:29 AM

oops, double post

#23 of 29 Old 07-19-2011, 06:13 PM

I think there are a couple of reasons for this... long reply below! For those of us with GD or borderline GD, yes, low- or moderate-carb is probably much healthier. Certainly for now and likely in general. I lost 35 pounds effortlessly and kept it off by going back on a much more moderately low-carb diet when my second was 8mo.

Quote:

Us GD moms have to be SUPER conscious of what we eat. So, it really forces us into planning and tracking our food. You asked who is pleased with their diets... we sort of have to be, most of us have more than one health care practitioner reading our food and blood sugar logs, so it feels a bit as if though you have someone looking over your should and judging you every time you eat. Not a great feeling, but it definitely makes me eat better! (for example... for dinner tonight I had a large bowl of homemade sprouted-lentil/veggie soup-- no potatoes-- with some plain yogurt, 1/4 piece of whole wheat bread with butter and a fried egg and water to drink. My one-hour blood sugar was 8pts above my target. Why? Was in the 1/4-piece of bread? Are lentils a problem for me now? Was it because I didn't have a good mid-afternoon snack? I was hungry but not near any food and I ate a handful of homemade popcorn that the kids were having about an hour before dinner. could that be it? I wrote a note on my log for my midwives, and tomorrow I'll be sure to remember to bring some almonds for myself... It makes me pick apart my diet for sure. And I looked back at Sunday night's log, where I was a little high, I thought it was from some ice cream I ate but maybe it was also the lentils? See what I mean? I spend more time thinking about my food with GD than I EVER would otherwise).

I actually think that food logging would probably help anyone concerned that diet is not optimal. And if you are ravenously hungry, then that is a sign that maybe something is not balanced and a food log might help you see that. We all log our food and we are looking at carbs (and other things of course). But upping protein and fat (and I would say, unprocessed fat-- like butter, nuts/seeds and their oils, EVOO, virgin coconut oil, fatty meats and fish, full-fat dairy, etc) would be good ways to get more densely nutritious foods, kind of... more bang for your buck. Sometimes hunger comes from lack of calories, sometimes from lacking some particular nutrient or type of food, sometimes from something being out of whack. When you are pregnant you may well need more protein than you are used to eating. You are growing another person- not to mention all the things your body needs to support that person!

I am not prepared to say that what is healthy for me is healthy for everyone. But I think that a diet which is lower carb than what many of us think of as "normal", is probably healthier. I guess I mean a diet where grains are not the staple of *every* meal. Certainly we all know that sugar and sweeteners are not optimal for us- at best they are "empty" calories, at worse they interfere with our metabolisms and sense of hunger/saiety and can be pretty addictive. I have watched my kids eat so differently when I offer fewer grains. I now mix it up for them (give them different grains at different meals), and don't offer it for every meal and snack. My kids are not fat or unhealthy in any way, this is no attempt to make them lose weight that is for sure! Its just that I see them choosing to eat more protein, more veggies, more fruits when that is what is on the table. Yesterday they had oatmeal (and eggs and fresh apricots) for breakfast, PB sandwiches (and apples and carrots) for lunch, kefir and fruit for snacks, and then, for dinner, I offered them pan-fried tofu, mashed sweet potatoes, and sauteed cabbage, with blueberries and cream for dessert. If I had put out pasta or rice (or cake for dessert), they would have eaten less of those other things. Anyway, does that make sense?

I wouldn't say I was a "carb-lover" but I definitely have a sweet tooth. I was raised eating, and have pretty much always eaten, a whole-foods based diet, mainly home-cooked, lots of veggies, fruits, etc. But I used to eat steel-cut oats for breakfast, 100% whole grain bread, brown rice, etc. with lunch and dinner. I probably had some kind of grain serving at most meals. It was a weird shift to stop eating that but man did I feel better when I got used to it. And, my sweet tooth is still there, but much less... toothy.

lifeguard likes this.

#24 of 29 Old 07-19-2011, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the thoughtful reply emmaegbert. Really interesting. When you made the switch, was it incredibly difficult at first?

#25 of 29 Old 07-20-2011, 12:57 PM

emmaegbert said it so well.

I do believe that in general in our culture people eat way too many carbs, especially refined carbs & I don't believe our bodies are built for it. The gd with ds made me more aware of it but it was already something I was doing - we just had to refine it further. Since then we have become stricter & stricter about carbs in our house.

As for making the switch I will admit it was difficult for me & many days it still is for me. If there wasn't the CONSTANT temptations around I don't think it would be so bad but as every time I leave my house, turn on the computer, turn on the tv, open a magazine there is something to remind me of the things I "shouldn't" have. The fact is these carby foods taste darn good & mess with our hormones so that it feels good to eat them to (or maybe that's just me). If I avoid them 100% it is ok but one serving is enough to send me into a tailspin.

#26 of 29 Old 07-20-2011, 06:10 PM

Quote:

Thank you for the thoughtful reply emmaegbert. Really interesting. When you made the switch, was it incredibly difficult at first?

well, the switch was easier with GD b/c I was really motivated. I just realized what I had to do and I did it. I agree with lifeguard, its easier for me to be very strict than to deal with moderation. (Isn't this often the case for many of us though, with whatever our issues are?)

When not pregnant, I am a lot less "strict" and find I have to concentrate more on managing/limiting my carby/sugary foods, because they are quite tasty. But I think that for me, non-pregnant, its okay to be not super strict, as long as I am at a healthy weight and feeling good. I do read the primal and paleo people, and sometimes the grain-free threads on the traditional food board here at MDC, because it gives me some inspiration (though I don't eat meat, so that only goes so far). People eat this way for a bunch of reasons- some to lose weight, some to gain muscle, some to manage food allergies/intolerances and other health issues... anyway for me I feel much better and I may have said above, but I lost 35 lbs and kept them off really quite "effortlessly" (other than the limited food choices... no food logging, calorie counting, no special exercising, etc). So that was fairly convincing that my body really can't handle much in the way of grains, sugars, and starches. I am fully aware- seems quite unfair to me really!- that this is not the case for everyone.

When my husband tried it with me, at first he felt AWFUL. And he lost 12 lbs in one week (I am not kidding! it was crazy). Overall he lost about 45 lbs in 3 months and then stayed there. His doctor says he still has 25 to go to be at a healthy weight for his size. But now I'd say he eats what is really a very moderate-carb diet and does pretty well with it. He eats a lot of veggies and a moderate amount of fruit. Actually he says he is not having a problem eating our entire veggie CSA share on his own while we are away. (and fruit share and a dozen eggs as well). He still has a beer most nights and I am aware he is "indulging" when out of the house with some treats but overall I think its pretty good for him too. As I said the kids are fine with it but I fix them carbier foods than I do for myself. And they do start to wheedle for it if its around (like now, living at my parents house for 2 mos, they are asking for bread and jam all the time. Like for every meal and snack. Obviously I don't give it to them 5x per day, but maybe once).

#27 of 29 Old 07-20-2011, 06:22 PM

Interesting what you are observing with your children. Ds is still quite young & rarely asks for a specific food (I usually give him a couple options & let him choose from those) but I have noticed that he goes back & forth a bit. Quite often he will peel the bread off of things & just eat the protein inside (ie. hamburgers) but other times he'll become really intense about finishing something & wanting more & more (ie. macaroni & cheese). I am hoping by us eating this way from the get go he will learn better habits than dh & I did.

#28 of 29 Old 07-21-2011, 05:22 AM

Well, second kids are a lot more savvy about stuff like chocolate cookies and ice cream and whatnot. I am sure you'll see how that is in another 2 years. But yeah, I try to be conscious of what I am offering the kids- a variety of things, keeping choices limited, offering mostly whole/unprocessed foods and fresh produce, not keeping sweets in the house, etc. And then I try not to be too controlling, I like the idea that our job as parents it to provide healthy food at regular intervals, their job as kids is to eat what they want to. I surely hope I am supporting their developing a good sense of what their body needs and I try to respond to their requests within reason (but not bread and jam all day long!). I don't totally forbid sweets or refined carbs, just not a part of normal life. Its a bit easier when I am in my own house and kitchen though!

#29 of 29 Old 07-21-2011, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

I found that part about the kids interesting as well. My ds is naturally low carb, high protein. As for me, I am going to give it a shot today. Not as hard core as you all, but I'm going to see if I can do "low carb". I have already almost eaten a raspberry square though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page