Mothering Forum banner

Things People Say

4K views 65 replies 36 participants last post by  mama2mad 
#1 ·
Okay, so I thought it would be fun to start this thread. Just somewhere to rant about what people say that they shouldn't.

Today I posted 30 week belly shots, and some of the comments blew my mind.

A friend who has 3 kids said: Soon you will have caught up to me and (T) wife...um, I didn't know it was a race.

My mom said to me the other day that have 2 boys and 1 girl will make for the extra perfect family. OK, so let me understand this, if it were all boys, or 1 boy and 2 girls it would be less than perfect?

Another person wrote, wow, you will have an instant family. So 5 years of infertility, and IVF cycles, and all the medications that go along with it make it an "instant" family. Glad to know.

Hope all you ladies are enjoying this heat as much as I am.
ROTFLMAO.gif

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow your huge! (umm thanks i'm growing a human being what do you expect)

Your safe now right? (ummm no, not ever but thanks for reminding me)

#5 ·
We don't know the gender of our baby. Literally almost EVERY person who asks, upon being told that we don't know, takes one look at me and then confidently announces "Oh it's definitely a boy!"....erm, yeah...got a direct line to my uterus, do ya? The sad thing is it's making me hope it's NOT a boy just so all of those people will be proven wrong
angry.gif

And AmyMay, I hear ya...the next person who says "Should you really be doing that?" is going to be on the receiving end of a wicked right hook.

#7 ·
We're not finding out the sex either. People ask, "do you know what you're having?" and we'll tell them we're waiting to find out once the baby is born (or sometimes I'll say, "hopefully a human baby.") Just about all of the time, people will tell us, "good, that's how its supposed to be," or "ooh, its better to have the surprise anyway." Then why do they ask in the first place if they think a surprise is better?!?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBruja View Post

We don't know the gender of our baby. Literally almost EVERY person who asks, upon being told that we don't know, takes one look at me and then confidently announces "Oh it's definitely a boy!"....erm, yeah...got a direct line to my uterus, do ya? The sad thing is it's making me hope it's NOT a boy just so all of those people will be proven wrong
angry.gif

And AmyMay, I hear ya...the next person who says "Should you really be doing that?" is going to be on the receiving end of a wicked right hook.

#8 ·
We have a little boy already, and this one is a girl. Some of the odd things people say:

"so they are absolutely sure it's a girl?" (Answer: as sure as we can be. got a good look :))

"are you done then, since you have one of each?" (Answer: probably not. we'd like one more)

and then DH's aunt said something to the effect of we have our "replacements" or something evolutionary like that. Like we've done our bit to repopulate the earth. Can't remember exactly. - but this bugged me in that my desire to have children, and how many, has absolutely nothing to do with the global population.

Not from this pregnancy, but from my first pregnancy - the same aunt - when I told her I was seeing midwives and not an OB (everyone asks who your OB is, why?) - and she asked if I were having a homebirth, I said no, they are hospital based. she said "I"m so relieved!" I didn't know of any local homebirth midwives during that pregnancy, else I may have gone that route . . .but sheesh!

#9 ·
The other day at work one of my co workers told me I was really starting to pop out, then proceeded to ask if I was sure it wasn't twins....Three times!!! I didn't think I was that big!

IMAG0425-1.jpg

I just took this on Saturday!

#11 ·
39w5d.JPG

39w5d with my son. I am carrying lower, but about the same size as I am currently with twins.

#12 ·
FWIW, KristinaMarie, to me you definitely don't look 39 weeks pregnant right now, even with twins. Just my opinion, but I wouldn't have even guessed you were carrying twins, but I do think you look like a ~30 week pregnant mamma (and beautifully pregnant).

#14 ·
I also get the "should you being doing that?" question, especially during yoga classes (I am a yoga instructor, so I sometimes tell them this so they know I know what I am doing - not that it justifies their question!).

My least favorite is people assuming I am close to my due date (I am 27 weeks). I LOOK 27 weeks but it still makes me feel terrible. And then I get mad at myself for caring what others think!

#16 ·
Two lately that have kind of confused me

"I think you need to go on a diet young lady" Said by an older lady, jokingly. It was kind of cute. But then later that evening another lady said "that baby needs to go on a diet". Is it a trend lately or something? Honestly the first one didn't bug me until the second.

I have been getting the "when are you due" and then "OH so you still have a while to go"(said with shock) as kind of I guess a polite way of saying I'm huge. Thanks.

#17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBruja View Post

angry.gif

We didn't know the gender either, and EVERYONE was saying it was going to be a boy, mostly, cuz I was "Way out there" Or "Carrying all in front". Near the end of my pregnancy Someone said that it looks like a boy for that reason, to which I said: "Really? Does the Penis Really Make that big of a difference in how you carry? I mean, It's only this big [ ]" She kinda stepped back and thought for a second. "HUh I don't know why they say that. I never thought of it that way." I ended up having a Baby Girl BTW!
lol.gif

More than once I would get surrounded and cornered by a group of ladies who would ask the 'normal' questions. "When are you due, Where are you having it, who's your doc..." When I would go into the fact that I am having a homebirth with a midwife, they would inevitablly pull out their own horror stories of 'Homebirths they heard about' or "If I hadn't had my baby in a hospital it would have died' or '47 Hour labor, Pain Pain Pain, Distress..." And I couldn't get away! And they wouldn't really be talking to me cuz by that time I was kinda like, "Zoning out!" So they would just talk among themselves while keeping me from escaping.

One lady told me that her friend was having a home birth, but had to transfer and have a C-Section because the baby was sunny side up and WOULD HAVE DROWNED coming out vaginally!?! I was like, "Well, I'm having a waterbirth so my kid is SCREWED!"

Reactions: KristinaMarie
#18 ·
I'm wondering, is there a neutral way to deflect these questions? As I mentioned in the chat thread, I'm a cashier in a food co-op, and most of the time people are truly lovely and supportive. But once in a while, I get a customer who is a little screwy or just rude. I want to know a way to stop the flow of questions without losing my composure or my job.

For example, yesterday a woman and her family came through my line and when she found out when I was due, she began frowning and shaking her head and telling me I was too big with long, doleful looks of reproach. It really bothers me because I have a tendency to be overcontrolling about food when stressed. I was underweight when I started this pregnancy, so I've worked very hard to gain the amount recommended by my midwives. These comments usually trigger a bout of disordered eating until I shake it loose and get back on track.

Any ideas?

#19 ·
Beautifulmoon, *hugs* and lots of empathy on getting spun into a bout of disordered eating by those sorts of comments. I'm overweight but I do the same thing and a situation like this would totally get in my head.

I really I had something better to suggest, but all I have is the classic, "Oh you think so? My medical provider is so pleased with me and says that I'm doing absolutely perfectly." in a chipper, upbeat sort of tone. The tone is important as you could sound defensive, but if you are just responding to the comment she said conversationally, I think it would be fine and might stop her. If she keeps going, just smile, say "We'll see, I guess!" and Change the Topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifulmoon View Post

I'm wondering, is there a neutral way to deflect these questions? As I mentioned in the chat thread, I'm a cashier in a food co-op, and most of the time people are truly lovely and supportive. But once in a while, I get a customer who is a little screwy or just rude. I want to know a way to stop the flow of questions without losing my composure or my job.

For example, yesterday a woman and her family came through my line and when she found out when I was due, she began frowning and shaking her head and telling me I was too big with long, doleful looks of reproach. It really bothers me because I have a tendency to be overcontrolling about food when stressed. I was underweight when I started this pregnancy, so I've worked very hard to gain the amount recommended by my midwives. These comments usually trigger a bout of disordered eating until I shake it loose and get back on track.

Any ideas?

#20 ·
Not pregnant anymore, but when I was I was pretty young (18) and have always looked very young, like 14 or 15, and got some obnoxious comments like:

"oh you poor thing, how old are you?" None of your frickin business, thank you! ugh

"Well I think you're doing a great thing by keeping it" WOW really?

"Do you know who the father is?" This one was the worst! Just because I'm young doesn't mean I'm a slut! I didn't go get drunk at a party and get knocked up! BAH ><

#21 ·
beautifulmoon, hugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puente View Post

I really I had something better to suggest, but all I have is the classic, "Oh you think so? My medical provider is so pleased with me and says that I'm doing absolutely perfectly." in a chipper, upbeat sort of tone. The tone is important as you could sound defensive, but if you are just responding to the comment she said conversationally, I think it would be fine and might stop her. If she keeps going, just smile, say "We'll see, I guess!" and Change the Topic.
yeahthat.gif

"My doctor says I'm doing great," is a great deflective response. And I would use doctor in that situation rather than bringing up the midwives issue.

If you want to really shut it down, change the topic immediately. For example:

Customer: "When are you due?"

You: "In the fall. I'm really looking forward to getting through the summer, it's been so hot! How are you finding the heat?"

or

Customer: "When are you due?"

You: "In the fall. I see you have some lovely [insert product]! What are you planning to do with that?"

#22 ·
Are there any privacy protections in place for people working retail? It seems like a perfect setup for exploitation, as you are judged heavily on your demeanor, pleasantness, customer service, etc. But is there a legal line?

#23 ·
I really hate the "oh my you are huge!!'...um really? Thank you. That is just the kindest thing you could say to a women. And to boot, I am not huge! I have been told I look right on spot. I am a 5' and have a little torso. I feel like I don't look like I am going to topple over (at 35 weeks).

The one that really blew my mind was when I was 30 weeks...it was very obvious that I was pregnant. And I started showing at 18. I was told then by so many people that they saw the bump. So any way...this woman that I see EVERY week at church says to me "Oh my gosh I just have to tell you this is the first time you really look pregnant to me!" This again was at 30 weeks. Um really? Wow. I guess I just looked...well I am not sure what I looked because it was obvious I was pregnant before then....whatever!

Something else that has kind of gotten to me is sooo many people telling me that they are amazed at how good I look. I know this is such a compliment, but sometimes it feels like they didn't think I would keep my weight gain under control... I started out heavy and am only supposed to gain very little. Which I am doing well, but it has been a headache worrying about my weight so much.

One more thing. And I do not want to start a discussion, just something else I have encountered. My family has A LOT of boys in it. And they found out we are not going to circumcise our son as DH is not and that is something we truly stand for...and OH MAN the comments I have received from my family!! "That is dirty!", "he will be made fun of in the locker room", "He will get cancer for sure..." you know...UGH!!!

#24 ·
The other day someone said "oh, you're pregnant?" in surprise when I said something about the baby. Really??! I most definitely look very pregnant right now (despite starting off heavy)!

The constantness of people telling me not to lift something or insisting on lifting something for me just makes me steam!!! And when I tell them I train for powerlifting (as a way of making light of the situation) in the gym they just seem to think I am crazy & still don't think I should pick up the 10lb grocery bag. Sigh.

#26 ·
I'm not due in October but saw this thread and thought I'd contribute. :)

When my SIL was pregnant with her first, she, my MIL and I went to watch an ice skating competition. There was an old woman taking our tickets who looked right at my SIL's almost 9-months-along and obviously pregnant belly (she's an extremely petite girl) and drawled in a thick Southern accent "oh, honey, are you pregnant or are you just FAT?"

My SIL was so shocked, she just didn't know what to say. I found it incredibly funny, but maybe I just like rude humor. I did kind of feel bad for SIL who found no humor at all in the situation. :)

The worst things that have ever been said to me when I was pregnant were when people told me I shouldn't be having kids because we are too poor and "can't take care of them." REALLY? Because the last time I checked, we were doing fantastic. So my daughter wears second-hand clothes and we don't drive as much. Who cares?! Who says I'm not allowed to have kids just because I can't buy them an X-Box every year at Christmas and ship them off to private school?? Since when do only rich people get the privilege of reproducing? Does having money make you a better mom? The nerve of some people!
Cuss.gif

Reactions: chrisnjeri
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.