Buying eco-friendly or organic "baby gear" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 08-02-2011, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have been trying to buy mattresses, etc. that lack flame retardant chemicals and other materials that off-gas, but I am struggling with "baby gear."  My MIL wants to buy us a playard, which is very sweet of her, but I can't find any organic or chem-free mattresses to fit in them (or any eco-friendly playards, for that matter).  Lots of organic sheets, but... what's the point of that if the mattress fumes get right through?  Does anyone have a good source for this sort of thing?

Cristina, mama to Isabel.  knit.gif Oh how I miss knitting.  And sleeping.  I miss sleeping.

#2 of 8 Old 08-02-2011, 06:38 PM

One thing you could consider is a used play yard/ mattress.  My understanding is that the chemicals have had time to off-gas, and in general, re-used things are much more eco-friendly anyway.  We're custom-making a crib/co-sleeper and are making our own mattress out of wool panels (not organic, but flame resistant, waterproof, and not too chemical-y), but I'd actually prefer a used pack&play over new.  I totally relate to what you wrote though!  Good luck!

Amy, feathering our nest with sweet husband O and baby girl, P (October 2011). 
#3 of 8 Old 08-02-2011, 07:09 PM

We didn't have a pack n' play for our first and don't have plans to get one...so I'm not completely familiar with how they work.  Is there a mattress that sits down in the bottom?  And you cover it with a sheet?  I would second what Amy May said...although, what are pack n' plays made of anyway?  If any part of it is vinyl then I think there's no end to the off-gassing.  Dax Stores is a great online source for things like organic/toxin-free mattresses at good prices.  You might check there to see if they have a mattress that would fit.

Teacher until birth of DS (7-27-08)blowkiss.gifand now DD (10-17-11)femalesling.GIF:, now SAHM, wife to my wonderful hard-working DH.   cd.gifnocirc.gifselectivevax.gif

#4 of 8 Old 08-02-2011, 10:05 PM

I was going to post what amy may did. Used is better. Maybe there is no end to the offgassing but there would be less if it has been around a while... Plus you are being eco friendly by keeping something from being tossed and not buying a new product AND it is way way cheaper. If you are really worried I would buy a wool mattress pad or piddle pad and use that under your organic sheet. Then there would be something between the sheet and the mattress.

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#5 of 8 Old 08-03-2011, 12:08 AM

I think there are some sites like Ecobaby Organics that will custom make an organic mattress with whatever dimensions you need. 

For me, whatever the baby is sleeping on/in is most important. We have a mini cosleeper with an organic latex and wool mattress and an organic moses basket. I have a pack & play, baby swing, and baby bouncer seat and I'm not worrying too much about those because I won't be using them as much as the things baby will sleep in. 

Happily parenting our snuggly wild child since 2007 and her little brother since 2011!

#6 of 8 Old 08-14-2011, 04:28 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice!  We are going with a used playard (though how I will explain that to my MIL has yet to be revealed to me...)  And Dax stores has proved to be a great resource (I don't have a crib yet either).

Meggles, agreed to the sleeping.  We've got a moses basket as well now, plus our stroller came with a bassinet that has a latex organic mattress.  Working on the crib... I think my MIL was thinking that the playard would be convenient, since it also has a bassinet on top, and since she's already had 4 children and 9 grandchildren, it's the culture of the family.  Sigh...

Thanks all!

Cristina, mama to Isabel.  knit.gif Oh how I miss knitting.  And sleeping.  I miss sleeping.

#7 of 8 Old 08-14-2011, 10:52 AM

You could also google mattress wrapping--where you wrap the mattress in thick plastic and create a couple of vents on the underside. That might give you more peace of mind in using an non-organic mattress of any sort and is super cheap.

Happily parenting our snuggly wild child since 2007 and her little brother since 2011!

#8 of 8 Old 08-15-2011, 07:13 AM

We're making our own co-sleeper, as well as the mattress.  An organic mattress is a bit pricy for us, and because the co-sleeper is homemade, the mattress also needs to be custom-sized.

We haven't finished the mattress, but we're making it out of wool panels. Basically, we ordered 3 100% wool blankets from an Army surplus store, as well as lanolin.  We'll felt the wool in the washing machine.  I don't know if we'll lanolize all of the wool pieces, or just the top and bottom.  But, we'll sew togetehr 6 or so panels into a mattress.  The felting process makes them stiff, and wool is naturally flame resistant, and waterproof, and doesn't contain the chemicals of a synthetic mattress.  It'll be fairly hard and thin, but neither of us believe that a baby needs a super soft mattress anyway. 

We're also going to get a used pack & play.  Good luck with your baby products!

Amy, feathering our nest with sweet husband O and baby girl, P (October 2011). 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page