What Foods Are You Craving? - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: What types of food do you crave the most?
Sweets like ice cream or candy 5 35.71%
Fruits and veggies 2 14.29%
Red meat 1 7.14%
Fatty, fried foods 1 7.14%
Carbs 5 35.71%
Chalk 0 0%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 08-05-2011, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Leading up to the conception of my son, my husband and I were eating 100% organic, ultimate crunchy granola health food... local produce co-op, foraging for wild greens, etc. After morning sickness hit me, I found I could eat very little and the only things I desired to eat were horrible, processed fast foods. I got over that when the morning sickness left me at the beginning of my second trimester and now I'm able to stomach the healthier foods again. However, I still find myself craving junk food daily, specifically foods I ate frequently in my childhood. I also go crazy if I don't get my sweets, which is weird because I never liked sweets before I was pregnant. Fruits just don't cut it, either... I want Oreo cookies crushed up in ice cream or I will start breaking things!

What are y'all craving these days? Is it consistent or do you desire something different every day?

FIREdevil.gifJessima, devilish wife to tiphat.gifKelleypa and bellycast.gif mama to 3rdtri.gif Wolf EDD 10/04/11.

Looking forward to a wonderful  waterbirth.jpg followed by some tasty placenta.gif and thencd.gif  intactlact.gif familybed1.gif homeschool.gif

#2 of 30 Old 08-05-2011, 03:21 PM

I am normally not a sugar person or a fruit person but I have really been craving both of those.  Especially fruit.  I have been eating tons of those real fruit strawberry popcycles because it helps cool me down as well.  There isn't a day now when I don't eat one.  I have also been wanting sweet things like chocolate and oreos and ice cream.  Not that often but the fact that I even want that stuff is shocking to me.  I eat a lot of whole foods normally and never have deserts or sweets because I just don't care for them.

Awesome vegan mom to wolverine babyf.gif11/11 and sabertooth 11/13 and partner to a drum.gifwe also have dog2.gif

#3 of 30 Old 08-05-2011, 06:26 PM

The closest thing to junk I am craving is dark chocolate... I was eating really healthy in the 2nd trimester but as I got closer to the third trimester and now I am in full aversion mode.  I only want to eat a handful of things, like whole wheat bread and nuts.  which might not sound bad but that's ALL I want to eat.  No greens, no calcium, yikes!  I was drinking calcium fortified OJ but I barely passed by glucose test so I am trying to stay away from juice (I know all the bread is bad too!).  Anyway I figure I just have to get through the next 8 weeks and I will be back to normal, at least I hope so.

#4 of 30 Old 08-05-2011, 06:30 PM

I crave nothing healthy, its pretty bad. I want ice cream everyday and not even flavors I normally like. My worst craving is bacon though, I rarely ate bacon before this pregnancy and now I think it wonderful, especially on white bread with mayo.....yup definitely not healthy!

joy.gif:Mommy to Lennon Elizabeth 11/27/09 and somebody new, due 10/08joy.gif:

#5 of 30 Old 08-05-2011, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

tank, I am thinking I need to get a popsicle mold and start making some real fruit popsicles at home. It is 110 degrees outside in Texas (no joke) and that is sounding mighty refreshing.

frugalmum, dark chocolate is actually a superfood, not even close to junk food! And maybe you can try putting your greens in a smoothie, that was my answer to getting them down the hatch when I was not into them at all. Now I crave massaged kale regularly. I had similar results on my glucose test so that is definitely motivation to resist my terrible sweet tooth.

penguin, that is what I'm talking about... ice cream and bacon... mmmmm! Try the ice cream with bacon crumbled on top, LOL! I am going to try a homemade "ice cream" which consists of frozen bananas blended up with wild blackberries, we will see how it goes and I'll let you know if it is satisfying enough to stand in for real ice cream.

FIREdevil.gifJessima, devilish wife to tiphat.gifKelleypa and bellycast.gif mama to 3rdtri.gif Wolf EDD 10/04/11.

Looking forward to a wonderful  waterbirth.jpg followed by some tasty placenta.gif and thencd.gif  intactlact.gif familybed1.gif homeschool.gif

#6 of 30 Old 08-06-2011, 02:12 AM

Typically some form of carbs. I have an aversion to most meats right now unless it's breaded chicken or sausage. 

Jamie: Kinda crunchy, computer geeky, very blessed, attached mama to five
R (4/1997), A (6/2002), B (07/2007), K (06/09) & N (10/17/2011)

#7 of 30 Old 08-06-2011, 07:53 AM

I'm craving all the things I can't eat. I am borderline/mild gestational diabetic, and in order to keep my blood glucose numbers in check, I really cannot eat any sweets, have to limit my fruit, can't eat anything starchy or white... about the only processed carb I can eat is one whole wheat tortilla and it needs to be full of protein and fat. Oh! I should say, that I CAN actually eat a small amount (1/2 cup) of high quality ice cream, so long as I am otherwise eating wisely.

I have dreams about donuts and cookies. Seriously. And Coke! Oh man, would I love just one glass of Coke!

The upside is I haven't gained any weight. Low carb, high fat, high fiber, high protein eating agrees with me very much. I'm down a pound at 32 weeks (was overweight to begin with).

#8 of 30 Old 08-06-2011, 07:36 PM

Chilis rellenos!  Every couple days I start feeling like I NEED to go to our local Mexican restaurant and eat a couple delicious greasy cheesy chilis rellenos.  YUM.

Also peaches, which are delicious right now, and cheese and carbs in general.  Through the second trimester I was craving meat all the time, and that's gone away a bit.  

Oh yes, also dark chocolate brownies.  I made a pan of those late the other night and they were just perfect.  I did not eat them all at once, thankfully.  I thought about it.

heartbeat.gif  Baby girl arrived 10/11/11 heartbeat.gif

#9 of 30 Old 08-07-2011, 02:30 PM

Cream top Maple Yogurt

Salad with Thousand Island Dressing and Croutons

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#10 of 30 Old 08-07-2011, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

Wow! So I have to share this little jewel with all the mamas who share my ice cream craving: frozen banana ice cream. I know that bananas have a lot of sugar in them, but certainly not as much as regular ice cream. So far I have tried making this recipe with peanut butter once and cacao once. Both were amazingly delicious! Try this, it really is just as good if not better than super rich ice cream.

#11 of 30 Old 08-07-2011, 04:20 PM

awsome.  i wonder what else would taste good with bananas.  maybe throw a couple of berries in there?

Awesome vegan mom to wolverine babyf.gif11/11 and sabertooth 11/13 and partner to a drum.gifwe also have dog2.gif

#12 of 30 Old 08-07-2011, 05:13 PM

A squirt of (sugar free) chocolate syrup?

~Iris~ Catholic mama to DD1 11/15/05 * DD2 04/28/08 * brokenheart.gif06/23/2010 * and our little rainbow DS 10/07/11 love.gif

#13 of 30 Old 08-07-2011, 05:37 PM

I'm really not having any cravings.  Actually, I'm really not even that hungry at all.  Which is actually kind of disappointing to me.  When I was pregnant with my son, I was always hungry, and I had a lot of fun with it.  This time, I do sometimes want ice cream or sweets, but no more than when I'm not pregnant.  But I wont lie- that frozen banana "ice cream" looks amazing!!

Amanda- mama to Lincoln 1/09 and expecting #2 10/11!
#14 of 30 Old 08-07-2011, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

tank, berries are on my list of things to try adding to it. Another one is some frozen pineapple and shredded coconut, for a pina colada flavored ice cream. Frozen mango for mango ice cream. So many possibilities!

#15 of 30 Old 08-11-2011, 06:37 AM

I hear you all on the carbs! All I want this pregnancy are eggs, Subway turkey subs, cereal and berries. I have made myself sick on berries, seriously, lol! Blueberries, strawberries and raspberries are my favorite things in the world right now! I've been at least trying to load up veggies in pasta sauce and such, like last night I loaded up a marinara sauce with green peppers and mushrooms. I'm trying, but if I had my way I would LIVE on eggs, turkey subs (yeah, I know... lunch meat is bad), cereal and fresh berries!

Oh, and I would try putting raspberries or blackberries with that banana ice cream... yum!!!! ;)

Beth )O( Homeschooling Mama to blahblah.gif DS (7) luxlove.gif DD (5) and sleepytime.gif DS (1) & #4 on the way in October!!! love.gif
 homebirth.jpgecbaby2.giffemalesling.GIFbf.jpgsewmachine.gifrainbow1284.gifnovaxnoIRC.gifphotosmile2.gif

#16 of 30 Old 08-11-2011, 06:54 AM

I haven't had many specific cravings except veggie omelets.  However, I have taken a liking to coleslaw which I have always hated and seem to get very strong, random urges to have stuff.  I have had a pizza aversion all pregnancy, but have spent about 20 minutes this morning watching pizza hut commercials because I really want a pineapple pizza, light cheese, extra sauce, pan, with garlic butter.  I told my husband and then had to explain that it was not appropriate use of sick time to leave work early because I needed pizza.  He, being a bottomless pit, asked me why.

Social working mommy to babygirl.gif 10/10/11, three cats, and a dog.

#17 of 30 Old 08-11-2011, 06:59 AM

These days Sunburst wants sweets, and only sweets. Candy, cookies, brownies, cake, it doesn't matter. shake.gif  Also carbs. And not good carbs either... but junk like Kraft Mac n Cheese. I'm slightly ashamed to admit that I've eaten a whole box, alone... more than once Sheepish.gif

I'm terrified to go to my dr next week and see how much I weigh.... even though I'm trying really hard to curb the cravings, I just feel like I've given in more than I should.

I have, however, stopped my nighttime snacking. This is good and bad. I was having indigestion/heartburn issues the last couple weeks, but I figured out if I stop eating after about 7pm then it's not as bad. So I am more comfortable at night to sleep. However, I wake up in the middle of the night STARVING. I haven't caved and eaten anything at night yet, but by morning I feel like I could eat everything in sight.

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#18 of 30 Old 08-11-2011, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livacreature View Post

I haven't had many specific cravings except veggie omelets.  However, I have taken a liking to coleslaw which I have always hated and seem to get very strong, random urges to have stuff.  I have had a pizza aversion all pregnancy, but have spent about 20 minutes this morning watching pizza hut commercials because I really want a pineapple pizza, light cheese, extra sauce, pan, with garlic butter.  I told my husband and then had to explain that it was not appropriate use of sick time to leave work early because I needed pizza.  He, being a bottomless pit, asked me why.

Pizza is another one that I absolutely must have. I've eaten it at least 2-3 times a week over the past month. It's gotten so bad that ds now tries to bribe me with pizza.... "if you let me stay up late tonight I'll let you have pizza!". lol.gif

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#19 of 30 Old 08-11-2011, 12:18 PM

Mmmmm... pizza!! That was my first trimester craving this time and it was BAD! I can still always go for pizza... New York style, thin crust... mmmmm......

Beth )O( Homeschooling Mama to blahblah.gif DS (7) luxlove.gif DD (5) and sleepytime.gif DS (1) & #4 on the way in October!!! love.gif
 homebirth.jpgecbaby2.giffemalesling.GIFbf.jpgsewmachine.gifrainbow1284.gifnovaxnoIRC.gifphotosmile2.gif

#20 of 30 Old 08-11-2011, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

I always love pizza, but it used to be sprouted kamut dough and goat cheese, olives, stuff like that... Now I find myself having serious craving for Pizza Hut's personal pepperoni pan pizzas... AUGH! I swear, it is because I have good memories of eating those as a kid. I used to get coupons for free personal pizzas from Pizza Hut from my library's summer reading program and it was like a big special thing to me. I also find myself craving stuff like Honey Nut Cherrios, Eggo waffles with peanut butter and pancake syrup, chocolate cream pie, and chef salad. It may seem like a random collection of cravings, but they are all foods from my childhood. Anyone else experiencing these "nostalgia cravings"?

The sweet tooth is killing me! I fight it all day, but it is the worst at night. I wish that it would go away! My entire adult life I have despised sweets, why do I want them so much right now, when it is the worst time of my life for me to eat junk?!!

Mothers who have already had a baby-- Do your tastebuds go back to normal right away? Or do some of the changes stay with you indefinitely?

#21 of 30 Old 08-12-2011, 04:55 AM

I wasn't until you mentioned waffles with peanut butter!  Putting those on my shopping list for tonight!

#22 of 30 Old 08-12-2011, 09:18 AM

Sweets sweets sweets - I feel like crying if I can't find any in the house. Chocolate brownie ice cream is tops. Last night the tought of all our usual meals made me want to gag, so I made french toast slathered in maple syrup!

I usually prefer savoury/bitter things when not pregnant.

Amy, mom to E superhero.gifsince April 2008 and C babyboy.gif since October 2011, wife to P since September 2006.

#23 of 30 Old 08-14-2011, 01:30 PM

Okay, I'm craving high carb, high fat.  The source just changes regularly.  Today?  Bacon cheese fries.  Will I get it?  The looks my husband is giving me says NO.  The apple with peanut butter I'm munching on just isn't cutting it!

#24 of 30 Old 08-14-2011, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Okay, I'm craving high carb, high fat.  The source just changes regularly.  Today?  Bacon cheese fries.  Will I get it?  The looks my husband is giving me says NO.  The apple with peanut butter I'm munching on just isn't cutting it!

LoL! I can totally relate to this.

#25 of 30 Old 08-14-2011, 07:12 PM

Quote:

thumb.gif  I'm eating a toaster waffle with butter and powdered sugar right now.  eat.gif  yumyum carbs and fat.

heartbeat.gif  Baby girl arrived 10/11/11 heartbeat.gif

#26 of 30 Old 08-15-2011, 05:42 PM

Mine have mostly been very specific.  I was craving gummy candies really badly for a while.  I HAD to have gummy candies.  I didn't even want dark chocolate (which is usually my favorite thing in the whole world), just gummy candies.  The best being RealFruit gummies.  YUM! 

And now, meat.  I am not normally much of a meat-eater, I probably cook meat once a week, sometimes twice.  I just am not a protein person.  But recently I want meat, of any and all descriptions, every day.  I ate more than half of a beef roast yesterday.  It must have weighed at least 3 pounds.  I took more than usually would, and then had seconds.  And it was delicious, when I usually find beef roast just barely acceptable.  Today I bought a whole lot of chicken and a pork tenderloin, and I'm really looking forward to eating them.  It's very out-of-character.  It's usually my husband who has to cook meat when he wants it, because I just won't bother.

This focus on protein is probably a good thing, since my first glucose tolerance test came back a bit high.

On a farm with our kiddo (nearly 2), two dogs, two cats, ten goats, two donkeys, nine sheep, a bunch of chickens, and a husband (in the winters). We have another on the way!
#27 of 30 Old 08-15-2011, 06:00 PM

Oh my.  Last week, all I could think of were fritos.  I can't even remember the last time I ate fritos - jr high, maybe?  But I had to get some.  All I could find were the bbq version and they are disgusting...but I'm still eating them.........

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

#28 of 30 Old 08-15-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:

Oh yeah! Make it trashy food too and you've got a winner! I had a week of chili cheese dogs (vegetarian though) culminating in cooking the hot dog, wrapping it in veggie bacon (or real if that's your thing), cooking that, then wrapping it in American cheese, popping it in a bun, covering with chili, shredded cheddar and sour cream. A veggie burger with American cheese (which was a childhood treat at my grandmother's as we never had processed cheese at home) and mayo is absolute heaven on a bun right now too.

#29 of 30 Old 08-15-2011, 06:19 PM

Quote:

My husband knows better than to stand in between me and a craving...and he also knows better than to dip his hand into my popcorn bowl or expect to get any ice cream when I'm pregnant lol.gif

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

#30 of 30 Old 08-15-2011, 06:49 PM
~pi

ICE WATER. Oh my goodness I love ice water right now. (Yes, I have low-ish iron. But I love ice water normally, I just love it more during pregnancy. I had pica with DS, and this is not like that was.)

Also berries, peaches, grapes, tomatoes, yellow and green beans, and cucumber.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page