Prepping for Postpartum: Freezer Meals? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 72 Old 09-01-2011, 05:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Katico, I don't actually have a real recipe for the fritters Sheepish.gif...I'm one of those horrible people who just throws stuff in until it looks right. However, it's a really forgiving batter, so you can pretty much throw in whatever you want and I'm sure it'll still turn out yummy...it would be super easy to add chopped veggies or something too. This is what I put in this morning (this filled three pint-and-a-half freezer tubs, plus a little extra for my breakfast today):

-The Insides from two small/medium spaghetti squashes (cut in half, bake cut side down at 350* until easily pierced with a fork...about 45 min maybe? Since I was going to be freezing the batter, I baked them last night then refrigerated so they would be cold when I mixed up the batter...if you're cooking the batter right away though it doesn't matter if the squash is still hot).

-6 eggs

-Maybe 3/4 cup milk? I didn't measure...

-Probably about 1/2 or 3/4 cup each of corn flour (masa), medium-grind cornmeal, and white flour (again, I didn't measure...I just add masa until the consistency looks right...maybe a little thicker than pancake batter)

-About 1 cup grated cheese...I usually just use cheddar, and always end up adding "just a little more" because I LOVE cheese.

-Salt and fresh ground pepper

To cook, I pour the batter into the pan just like you would for pancakes and fry them in butter...I use a cast iron skillet over low/medium low heat.

And yes, I AM a lucky duck...her ravioli is awesome. I'm pretty sure my little sister is going to throw in a pie too eat.gif!

Head over heels for DHjoy.gif bonus mama to super sweet DSS (10/9)superhero.gif and mama to DD (10/11)loveeyes.gif! nocirc.gif  sewmachine.gif  goorganic.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 72 Old 09-01-2011, 07:12 PM

Thank you for the "recipe" LaBruja!  I am totally comfortable winging it!

I was just snooping through the freezer thread in the Sept DDC and one lady had the great idea to freeze cooked pizza crusts wrapped together with a bag of sauce, cheese and toppings, all in on package.  Smart!

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

#63 of 72 Old 09-07-2011, 08:25 PM

that pizza idea is brilliant!!!

Tonight I just threw in a bag of turkey chili and a pan of corn bread. MMMMMMM

that plus the baked ziti I put in a few weeks ago and i have 2 meals..... Lots more work to do.

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#64 of 72 Old 09-08-2011, 10:02 AM

Corn bread!!!  Good idea!

I just put in the last of my list - several dozen oatmeal pancakes, yum!

I pulled a ball of homemade pizza dough out last night for supper and it was SO GOOD.  I don't usually make my own crust and never freeze it, so I was impressed how tasty it was.  I am definitely throwing in dough too!

And, I'm wondering about freezing thai peanut sauce....we love this recipe

http://www.dinneralovestory.com/peanut-butter-logic/

And I'm thinking about freezing the sauce with shredded, cooked chicken ...then all we'd need on hand are the noodles and some spinach/cucumber/green onions.....do you think the sauce would freeze ok?

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

#65 of 72 Old 09-08-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katico View Post

Corn bread!!!  Good idea!

I pulled a ball of homemade pizza dough out last night for supper and it was SO GOOD.  I don't usually make my own crust and never freeze it, so I was impressed how tasty it was.  I am definitely throwing in dough too!

And, I'm wondering about freezing thai peanut sauce....we love this recipe

http://www.dinneralovestory.com/peanut-butter-logic/

And I'm thinking about freezing the sauce with shredded, cooked chicken ...then all we'd need on hand are the noodles and some spinach/cucumber/green onions.....do you think the sauce would freeze ok?

I've frozen a similar sauce with cooked chicken and veggies before-it works just fine!

Mama to Reuben (8) and Zeke (7)fencing.gif and baby girl, Lötte babyf.gif
Illustrator/designer of children's media and rubber stamps.  blogging.jpg

#66 of 72 Old 09-08-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katico View Post

I just went and looked at your list...you have all of that done, plus your holiday shopping?!? You're my hero. Also, this is a stupid question, but are you freezing the pancake batter or the actual pancakes after they've been cooked?

My MIL came up for a visit last weekend and brought us at least 15 pounds of frozen blueberries (she and FIL are obsessed with this u-pick place...they picked 140 lbs of blueberries this year bigeyes.gif), which was totally awesome of her...but I realized that now my freezer is totally, completely stuffed so there's no room for any more actual meals. So, I have a bit of a conundrum...we do have a big chest freezer, but it's not currently plugged in. I know that those big freezers are supposed to be at least half full in order to work properly, but I can't make enough food all at once to even come close to filling it, and I'm worried that if I try to fill it gradually the food won't keep properly.

So my current plan is to plug in the chest freezer, throw in some bags of ice and everything that's currently in my small freezer once it's cold (I figure that will fill the chest freezer about 1/3 of the way) and then just make food like crazy to fill up both freezers. Is that feasible, or does it not even make sense? Lately I can't tell if some of my "brilliant" ideas are actually just pregnancy brain craziness...

Head over heels for DHjoy.gif bonus mama to super sweet DSS (10/9)superhero.gif and mama to DD (10/11)loveeyes.gif! nocirc.gif  sewmachine.gif  goorganic.jpg

#67 of 72 Old 09-08-2011, 01:30 PM
~pi

I've never heard that chest freezers don't work if not at least half full. They are more efficient when more full, but there shouldn't be any other performance difference. I'd plug it in and start using it. Or, alternatively, send the blueberries to me. yummy.gif

I don't know what Katico does, but I regularly freeze pancakes. I occasionally make a big pancake breakfast on a weekend, and I usually quadruple the batter, make a huge stack of extra pancakes, and freeze them in sets of 2 or 3. They are one of DS' favourite school morning breakfasts, and are super easy to prepare in a hurry when they are all ready to go in the freezer.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#68 of 72 Old 09-08-2011, 01:32 PM

I was going to suggest bags of ice so you are definately on the right track:).

I would put as many bags as you need in there to get it working then just remove them as you add food, no need to panick.

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#69 of 72 Old 09-08-2011, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBruja View Post

Quote:

I just went and looked at your list...you have all of that done, plus your holiday shopping?!? You're my hero. Also, this is a stupid question, but are you freezing the pancake batter or the actual pancakes after they've been cooked?

Oh god, I'm that crazy lady everybody hates!  

I cooked all the pancakes and froze them stacked on a cookie sheet/parchment so I can throw them into a tupperware container.  They microwave well...or I think some people put them in the toaster? I wouldn't freeze the batter because the baking powder would do it's job too early and then when you cooked them they'd be pretty dense.    But you could totally mix up the dry ingredients in batches and have that ready to add the wet to as needed!

So my current plan is to plug in the chest freezer, throw in some bags of ice and everything that's currently in my small freezer once it's cold (I figure that will fill the chest freezer about 1/3 of the way) and then just make food like crazy to fill up both freezers. Is that feasible, or does it not even make sense? Lately I can't tell if some of my "brilliant" ideas are actually just pregnancy brain craziness...

That totally makes sense.  An easier way (and cheaper if you were going to buy the ice) is to fill large pop/water/juice bottles with water and freeze them (leave some room at the top so they don't burst.)  I consider that my emergency water supply, too.   But like Pi said, they work just fine no matter how much is in them.  They are more efficient when full, but they'll keep your food no matter what

#70 of 72 Old 09-08-2011, 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~pi View Post

I've never heard that chest freezers don't work if not at least half full. They are more efficient when more full, but there shouldn't be any other performance difference. I'd plug it in and start using it. Or, alternatively, send the blueberries to me. yummy.gif

Ah...it definitely makes more sense that it just wouldn't be as efficient, rather than that it wouldn't keep foods properly frozen...I was wondering about that. I would send you blueberries if I thought they'd survive the shipping!  

I don't know what Katico does, but I regularly freeze pancakes. I occasionally make a big pancake breakfast on a weekend, and I usually quadruple the batter, make a huge stack of extra pancakes, and freeze them in sets of 2 or 3. They are one of DS' favourite school morning breakfasts, and are super easy to prepare in a hurry when they are all ready to go in the freezer.

OK, that's kind of what I was thinking. Do you just thaw them and eat cold, or reheat stovetop/oven? (We don't have a microwave).

#71 of 72 Old 09-08-2011, 03:35 PM
~pi

We reheat in the microwave, but I didn't always have one, and back then I would either thaw ahead and eat them cold/room temp, or use a toaster. I would guess a pan would work, too.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#72 of 72 Old 09-14-2011, 04:30 PM

Just added 3 meals of chili to the freezer tonight!  And some bagels I got on sale, popped in there ready for toast!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page