I need baby toiletries help! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 42 Old 08-08-2011, 09:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrabelle View Post

Here are some links about wet wipes, and other toiletries... http://www.brighthub.com/environment/green-living/articles/48140.aspx 

There are quite a few out there! Just google toxins+baby wipes or chemicals+baby care products etc. It's overwhelming.

http://valdezlink.com/pages/babywipes.htm 

http://euphoriamaternity.wordpress.com/2008/03/24/toxins-in-baby-wipes/ 

http://safecosmetics.org/article.php?id=414

http://www.ewg.org/report/toxic-tub/31209 

I swear I'm not a conspiracy theorist...but I won't put anything on my baby that I couldn't safely *eat*.

I totally agree - I wouldn't use most Johnson's products either, and most wipes seem completely nasty.  I love the EWG cosmetics database for information on toxic ingredients.  It's so thorough.  

heartbeat.gif  Baby girl arrived 10/11/11 heartbeat.gif

#32 of 42 Old 08-09-2011, 11:12 AM

Ha, really, in a pinch, you could just use a damp paper towel....

So funny the thigs that we use on our babies now that didn't even exist 50 years ago! My grandmother still referrs to disposable diapers as "paper pants". I think it's hilarious.

Mama to Reuben (8) and Zeke (7)fencing.gif and baby girl, Lötte babyf.gif
Illustrator/designer of children's media and rubber stamps.  blogging.jpg

#33 of 42 Old 08-09-2011, 06:45 PM

oh and I like "unpetroleum jelly" when that seems warranted and keep some around. but seriously we mostly just use our cooking oils (coconut or olive) on the kids.

yesterday DD was begging for "a haircut" and I gave her a mini one. then I noticed all the nasty scales on her head and I think someone here said they used olive oil... I forgot about that! I combed her hair through with olive oil, and the DS (who is 6) wanted his hair oiled too. So I had these very slick looking kids for a few hours and then washed it out. The scales are all gone (for now anyway)

I really never have carried wipes. I usually have some paper towels, napkins, or cloth rags in my bag, and like a PP said, if really needed, dampen it (we always have water bottles).

dissertating mom to three

#34 of 42 Old 08-10-2011, 05:45 AM

I could use a good "wipes" spray recipe....the last one I used had lavender and teatree oil-and was way too potent

I have since discovered calendula oil and love it...

def need a spray for diaper bag...for my potty training ooops and extra clean toddler & preschooler bum (ds is not the best wiper...lol)

mom to ds '07 first day of a new year, dd '09 in the caul, and  ds '11 at home Oct 24th

#35 of 42 Old 08-10-2011, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmaegbert View Post

oh and I like "unpetroleum jelly" when that seems warranted and keep some around. but seriously we mostly just use our cooking oils (coconut or olive) on the kids.

yesterday DD was begging for "a haircut" and I gave her a mini one. then I noticed all the nasty scales on her head and I think someone here said they used olive oil... I forgot about that! I combed her hair through with olive oil, and the DS (who is 6) wanted his hair oiled too. So I had these very slick looking kids for a few hours and then washed it out. The scales are all gone (for now anyway)

I really never have carried wipes. I usually have some paper towels, napkins, or cloth rags in my bag, and like a PP said, if really needed, dampen it (we always have water bottles).

haha, i used coconut oil on my guy's bum once in a while. They smell so nice after!
I use baking soda to get the oil out after doing an olive oil cradle cap wash. and just a tiny bit. (around 1/4 of a tsp.) Rub it in and around, and rinse.
 If they're a little older, cider vinegar works, but it really wouldn't be too much fun on the eyes. That, and they end up smelling like a pickle...haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saoirse2007 View Post

I could use a good "wipes" spray recipe....the last one I used had lavender and teatree oil-and was way too potent

I have since discovered calendula oil and love it...

def need a spray for diaper bag...for my potty training ooops and extra clean toddler & preschooler bum (ds is not the best wiper...lol)

Essential oils are pretty stong. If you're looking for some scent though, you can use actual tea, rather than the oil.

Tea tree has great antibacterial properties, and is really good for things like dandruff etc. But you really don't need it on your baby's bottom  on a regular basis. And you need to have a good carrier oil to distribute it if you're applying it directly. (grapeseed oil, or almond oil etc.) It would probably really sting if you used it on it's own!

I use dr. bronner's baby castile soap in wet wipe spray, but really diluted with some oil (almond or grapeseed), a bit of water (scented with tea if you like) and a touch of glycerine. I've made my own from scratch, from my own soap, but dr bronners goes a really long way and it's almost not even worth my time to make the soap myself, unless i'm making it anyway.

For a TON of wipe solution recipes, try this link. http://www.zany-zebra.com/cloth-wipe-solution.shtml 

If you're using any of the recipes that call for baby wash, just make sure that you're using one that you know is safe. (Those would be where i'd use dr. bronners.)

You can also use veggie oil or olive oil in place of almond or grapeseed, they're just thicker and don't mix quite as well. They're fine, you just have to shake a little more;)

#36 of 42 Old 08-10-2011, 11:05 AM

Corrabelle, you are a total wealth of knowledge and info!  I'm inspired to try some of these tips, and I'm checking out zany zebra now. 

I think I definitely fall in the "bathe less" category, and I'm fine avoiding soaps as much as possible!  I'm interested in non-shampoo alternatives too.  I should start a new thread on the multi-cultural families, because baby will be biracial and I have no idea what to expect from his/her hair.  However, I imagine that starting off, baking soda and olive oil will be more than sufficient.

Any biracial families in our DDC have experience with this?

Amy, feathering our nest with sweet husband O and baby girl, P (October 2011). 
#37 of 42 Old 08-10-2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy May View Post

Corrabelle, you are a total wealth of knowledge and info!  I'm inspired to try some of these tips, and I'm checking out zany zebra now. 

I think I definitely fall in the "bathe less" category, and I'm fine avoiding soaps as much as possible!  I'm interested in non-shampoo alternatives too.  I should start a new thread on the multi-cultural families, because baby will be biracial and I have no idea what to expect from his/her hair.  However, I imagine that starting off, baking soda and olive oil will be more than sufficient.

Any biracial families in our DDC have experience with this?

One of the bloggers I follow has biracial children, and has homemade shampoo recipes that she uses. (I think she does the olive oil/baking soda/cider vinegar thing too!)

http://lifeonthefrancofarm.blogspot.com/2011/05/recipe-homemade-shampoo-and-conditioner.html
Not to say that would work for everyone, it depends on the texture of the hair probably.

I have friends who are a biracial couple, and some of their kids have her hair (tight, curly, textured and somewhat brittle) , and some have hair like their dad's. (Caucasion) It's kind of funny though, because their second child was born with hair like hers, but then after a few months (when the baby kind of shed it's first hair)  it sort of turned into hair like his dad's! (and changed colour completely.)

#38 of 42 Old 08-10-2011, 07:21 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)

All I ever used was a bar of Burt's Bees baby shampoo (bar) probably once or twice a week just a little bit at a time - that little bar lasted well over a year!  And I also used Waleda Baby calendula care diaper cream from time to time.  I rarely needed it though - used cloth diapers, warm washcloth with just water to wipe, then thoroughly dried bum before putting diaper back on.

A lot of washing was just done on the change tables (pits, bum and neck folds) with a baby washcloth and warm water (no soap).  

Never had any skin problems, excema, allergies, ear infections nor diaper rashes (until more acidic solid foods introduced...but even still they were pretty mild).  Could have just been plain good luck, but i think not overwashing (and over-producting) her skin kept it in good shape so the natural oils in her body could do their job properly.

And I saved a ton of money!

#39 of 42 Old 08-14-2011, 12:04 AM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)

Hey there OP, IDK if I'm DDCC here or not since I'm due either Nov 2 or Oct 31, but I just wanted to throw in my recommendations for what has worked well for me as far as baby toiletries go!  I am very in to being natural/organic, I check everything on cosmeticdatabase.com, and all that:)

Anyway, the first few months I just use warm water, no soap except maybe after an explosive newborn poop:)   Then I started using this http://www.luckyvitamin.com/p-103649-noli-n-nali-organics-soothing-baby-wash-bar-soap-with-aloe-and-oatmeal-unscented-35-oz  and liked it a lot but thought it was a little expensive and DH did not like using bar soap lol so I got this instead(for both her body and hair) and now I use this on myself as well http://www.vitacost.com/Dr-Bronners-Organic-Shikakai-Liquid-Baby-Mild-Soap-Unscented.   

For diaper rash cream I get http://www.vitacost.com/Natures-Baby-Organics-Diaper-Cream-All-Natural-Fragrance-Free   I did not need to use it at all til almost 1yr old with my last baby.  For really bad rashes, which DD got when she got diarrhea I use this(I prefer the other stuff because it is more natural and organic but this stuff does work better on healing bad rashes) http://www.vitacost.com/California-Baby-Calming-Diaper-Rash-Cream 

This is by far the best diaper powder I have found http://www.luckyvitamin.com/p-26315-natures-baby-organics-silky-dusting-powder-fragrance-free-4-oz 

For baby oil I use plain grapeseed oil.

For baby lotion I use raw organic shea butter that I get in bulk on ebay.  I only use grapeseed oil or shea butter on myself as well for moistuizer.  Or apricot oil I would use too I guess.

For sunscreen I use this http://www.vitacost.com/Badger-SPF-30-plus-Baby-Sunscreen 

I also have an aloe plant that I have used on our skin sometimes for a change of pace lol.  I cant think of any other toiletries that we use, HTH!

#40 of 42 Old 08-14-2011, 10:08 AM

Haven't read the other replies, but my family uses Dr Bronner's castile soap.  My kids use the "baby mild" kind.  I'll be using that on the new baby as well :)  I'll probably use that as "shampoo" until he actually gets enough hair to wash it with something else and then I'll use my kids shampoo on him- Jason's.  Don't use lotions or anything.  I make a diaper rash powder from flour and use pure cornstarch (not the kind you find in the baby aisles) or california baby diaper rash cream for the rare diaper rashes.

Amy Lynn, Loving wife stillheart.gifand mom to 3 sweethearts. Christopher (8/06), Katherine (10/08), and Matthew (09/11).  2 time VBAC Momma and NCB & BFing advocate.

#41 of 42 Old 08-15-2011, 09:53 AM

I like California Baby products a lot. We use their body wash/shampoo and their bubble bath with DD. I've also used the Dr Bronners baby mild for body wash and shampoo for her. For lotion we use coconut oil. Weleda baby makes a good diaper rash cream as well. I've used their calendula cream on her as well.

I agree though that in the early days less is more. We didn't bath too often and then used only the tiniest bit of soap or just water.

Just a side note... if you are having a hospital birth, bring your own baby soap. They will likely only have Johnson and Johnson baby soap to use for the first bath. I wish I had known that because I wouldn't have used that on her. I'll bring our own this time.

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#42 of 42 Old 08-15-2011, 06:06 PM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKislandgirl View Post

I like California Baby products a lot. We use their body wash/shampoo and their bubble bath with DD. I've also used the Dr Bronners baby mild for body wash and shampoo for her. For lotion we use coconut oil. Weleda baby makes a good diaper rash cream as well. I've used their calendula cream on her as well.

I agree though that in the early days less is more. We didn't bath too often and then used only the tiniest bit of soap or just water.

Just a side note... if you are having a hospital birth, bring your own baby soap. They will likely only have Johnson and Johnson baby soap to use for the first bath. I wish I had known that because I wouldn't have used that on her. I'll bring our own this time.

I agree, my last birth was a hospital birth and all they had was that nasty Johnsons soap!  I dont know why they even feel the need to use soap at all, but of course they did not even tell me that they were using soap til I noticed my DD was all soapy!  ARGH!

I love Dr Bronners, I think California baby has too many unnatural ingredients tho.  They may not be toxic but I prefer naturally occuring stuff!  Lol.  I do recommend their diaper rash creams for bad rashes tho!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page