Nursing mommas.... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 44 Old 09-15-2011, 01:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

PsuedoDiva- good for you!!!

And yes, I know what you mean- even other people who nursed/are nursing their children mostly seem to think its weird. I do have one IRL mom friend (well, sort of acquaintance but I am trying harder to become friends now) who is also nursing through her pregnancy, and has a similar-aged nursling and a December due date. So, she is not thinking its weird at all. Its nice to share some of these experiences with people that are really very every-day for me.

dissertating mom to three

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 44 Old 09-18-2011, 09:00 AM

emmaegbert -- Yeah, I don't talk much about the tandem nursing thing. Mostly I don't have to though because my 3 yo rarely asks to nurse in public.

But this morning I was sitting on the floor sorting laundry -- stain stick in one hand and dc on the boob -- and dh just came in, surveyed the scene and laughed. He wanted to get the camera but I wouldn't let him. :)

#33 of 44 Old 09-18-2011, 09:02 AM

p.s. -- anyone else here have a nursling even though there's clearly no milk? I'm really really hoping she's going to be the answer to getting my milk in quickly after the birth, especially since it's going to be a C and I'm going to need all the help I can get!

#34 of 44 Old 09-19-2011, 11:11 AM

newyorkmommy: I have colostrum in now but was dry for a quite a while and DD didn't care a bit. She is still nursing several times a day.

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#35 of 44 Old 09-19-2011, 11:57 AM

Newyorkmommy:  I was dry for months, and DS never abated.  He likes to nurse even more now that my colostrum is in, though.  Your daughter will probably be a huge help!

Loving wife to a wonderful and Godly man, hug.gif  and SAHM to two beautiful boys, DS1, natural hospital birth (2/2010) and DS2, beautiful homebirth (10/2011) cd.gifnursex2.gif

#36 of 44 Old 09-25-2011, 08:25 PM

I am really hating nursing right now, we do it very little but it kind of makes my skin crawl. It doesn't actually hurt, just gives me the creeps. but we're so close to the end. I definitely think there was nothing there for a good long while but my daughter told me to "squeeze it" the other day to see that there is milk in there (colostrum I am sure).

#37 of 44 Old 09-25-2011, 10:05 PM

MY NIPPLES ARE KILLING ME!  I've got blisters and a crack on one of them.  I never, EVER had cracks before.  Good old Lansinoh is saving me, and fortunately it's only twice a day.  

Loving wife to a wonderful and Godly man, hug.gif  and SAHM to two beautiful boys, DS1, natural hospital birth (2/2010) and DS2, beautiful homebirth (10/2011) cd.gifnursex2.gif

#38 of 44 Old 09-25-2011, 10:17 PM

Pseudo- that sounds like a bad latch which is real common for toddlers during pg. Glad the lansinoh helps a bit. I would recommend making sure your ds relatches and gets the nipple all the way into his mouth, that should help a lot.

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#39 of 44 Old 09-25-2011, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboysmama View Post

Pseudo- that sounds like a bad latch which is real common for toddlers during pg. Glad the lansinoh helps a bit. I would recommend making sure your ds relatches and gets the nipple all the way into his mouth, that should help a lot.

Thanks for this!  I have noticed he's been really lazy about it lately.  How can I encourage him to latch on better?  

#40 of 44 Old 09-26-2011, 04:12 AM

My dd has a bad latch, too. Well, actually her latch is OK, but in addition to latching, she also likes to hold on with her teeth. Not exactly biting, just kind of hanging on. So that when we're done I have this little ring of teeth marks around my nipple. We're working on it, but I have to take her off and remind her "open wide" a lot. I'm hoping that once the baby is here and my milk comes in for real, she'll feel less of a need to clamp down like that and will either just nurse or not. We shall see ...

#41 of 44 Old 09-26-2011, 08:05 AM

I did ask my MWs about this too. They said that its normally not a worry (perhaps if there was a risk of preterm labor, things would be different). They said as EDD approaches its possible that nursing could make contractions stronger/more intense but didn't seem to think that it would *start* labor. Might augment it. They also both agreed that a child my daughter's age (almost 2.5) is probably not really nursing enough or with enough vigor to have that much effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mambera View Post

I'm reviving this thread to ask about nursing and Braxton-Hicks?  The nursing-induced contractions are quite strong and very uncomfortable, is this going to throw me into premature labor?  I'm 34 weeks right now and I have SO MUCH to get done at work before this baby comes, I really do not want to go early *at all* (meaning before 40 weeks, never mind the obvious reasons to avoid having a preemie or near-preemie baby).  DD came at 38 wks 5 days and I was so not ready.

#42 of 44 Old 09-26-2011, 08:06 AM

I did ask my MWs about this too. They said that its normally not a worry (perhaps if there was a risk of preterm labor, things would be different). They said as EDD approaches its possible that nursing could make contractions stronger/more intense but didn't seem to think that it would *start* labor. Might augment it. They also both agreed that a child my daughter's age (almost 2.5) is probably not really nursing enough or with enough vigor to have that much effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mambera View Post

I'm reviving this thread to ask about nursing and Braxton-Hicks?  The nursing-induced contractions are quite strong and very uncomfortable, is this going to throw me into premature labor?  I'm 34 weeks right now and I have SO MUCH to get done at work before this baby comes, I really do not want to go early *at all* (meaning before 40 weeks, never mind the obvious reasons to avoid having a preemie or near-preemie baby).  DD came at 38 wks 5 days and I was so not ready.

#43 of 44 Old 09-26-2011, 11:11 AM

Ladies...I want to give up, and I don't know how.  

I don't really want to give up, but this morning DS woke up at 5:30am and would not be content until he nursed.  DH tried to help, but I ended up nursing him for at least 45 minutes before finally cutting him off, which resulted in many tears.  He was overtired from church yesterday.  

It hurt SO bad, and I just wanted to crawl out of my skin.  Normally I don't mind, and I really look forward to our evening nursings.  He has been coming to bed with me to nurse since he was a tiny guy and I don't know how I could convince him not to do it anymore.  I did try to make sure his latch was better, but he was half asleep, so I had limited success. 

It doesn't help, feeling like just about everyone I know is against what I'm doing.  No one has said anything really against it, but it's a general sense I get and I'm super sensitive right now.  My MW is great about it and very encouraging.  I'll see her tomorrow and I'll have to ask if she has ideas.  

#44 of 44 Old 09-26-2011, 11:43 AM

Hm. Thanks for bringing up the BHs. My little one has been super keen to nurse lately but for the last week in particular I've noticed a cramping that seems to last the entire nursing session, even if I just do it once a day, when I'm putting her to sleep at night. The discomfort is one thing but mostly I worry about my old incision holding. I'm going to ask my OB about that at this afternoon's visit. I'm scheduled for delivery in just a few days, so hopefully he won't say it's a big deal to nurse just a few more times. Or, I could just use my common sense and stop when it feels really tight. However by that point she's usually almost asleep and if I take her off the boob before she's really done, there will be many tears.

PseudoDiva, I would encourage you to keep going if that's what you want to do. Definitely don't stop because of the feeling that others don't understand or approve. I always have to remind myself that I'm never going to make everyone happy all of the time, so when it comes to important things like decisions about my kids, I really only have space in my brain to be accountable to myself. Y'know? I know the discomfort is hard, I have that too, but I also feel like if it's just a few more weeks, I can do it. Maybe I'm crazy, but I'm expecting the nipple pain to be much less if not immediately after the birth, then within a week or two. I hope!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page