Chat Thread: 8/7-8/13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 58 Old 08-08-2011, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Have a great week!!

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#2 of 58 Old 08-08-2011, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Not much to say except that I had an AWESOME squat workout tonight. Thanks to construction traffic I was late getting to the gym & so rushed through my workout so I could catch up to the other ladies (which is usually a baaaaad thing for me 'cause I usually need the warm-up to hit good depth on my squats). After I finished my last set my trainer sighed & said "we should have taped that last set & posted it - 31 weeks pregnant, what's your excuse?!" That made me feel pretty awesome - he was so excited at how well my squatting went!

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#3 of 58 Old 08-09-2011, 05:27 AM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Ha! Lifeguard, I am so impressed with your stamina.

I went to the dentist again yesterday. I have one more appointment and then I'll be all filled up. It's pretty miserable at this point to be sitting back in the chair--a quite uncomfortable position. Glad next week is the last of it.

Making a March 9th sandwich with a Halloween filling.
#4 of 58 Old 08-09-2011, 06:15 AM

I hate working legs...lol

everythime I ever have I get really bad DOMS....how are you preventing it???

mom to ds '07 first day of a new year, dd '09 in the caul, and  ds '11 at home Oct 24th

#5 of 58 Old 08-09-2011, 08:45 AM

Don't be too impressed with my stamina - most days I would be content to lie around & eat bon-bons all day! Life won't let me though!

I have found that doms improves the more you train - so the first few months I was training it was terrible at times but I find now it's not too bad at all. Some weeks I have it barely at all & other weeks more so - but it is more dependent on the intensity of the workout or doing something different than I usually do (yesterday we really nailed the legs so I expect I will get more sore as today progresses).

#6 of 58 Old 08-09-2011, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryS-F View Post

I went to the dentist again yesterday. I have one more appointment and then I'll be all filled up. It's pretty miserable at this point to be sitting back in the chair--a quite uncomfortable position. Glad next week is the last of it.

I feel for you. I'm just back from 2 hours at the dentist getting a crown on one of my lower molars. Saturday evening I bit down on a crouton and a big chunk of tooth broke off. Luckily I didn't have any pain or anything. Glad to hear you're almost through with your dental ordeal.

In other news, I've come to realize that baby is persistently transverse with her bum up near my right ribs and her head just below navel level pointing toward my left hip. We saw this on ultrasound a week ago, and now that I'm more conscious of it, I'm aware that she's basically always like this. I've been describing it as having a loaf of baby like a sash across my waist. I'll be 32 weeks in a couple days, and I'm getting concerned about how attached to the position she seems. I've started doing the inversions recommended on spinning babies and have chiro appt scheduled for 2 weeks from today (she's full this week and we're on vacation next week) with someone who does Webster technique. Maybe baby will move on her own before that, but I think she's been in the position most of the time for the past 6 weeks or so. I'd rather be proactive and try to get her to move before she gets too much bigger. 

#7 of 58 Old 08-09-2011, 10:03 AM

I just got back from the dentist where I had a small cavity drilled and filled in an appointment that lasted about 12 minutes from walking in the door to signing the credit card receipt.  Unbelievable!  I also managed to get through the whole thing with no numbing shots, like I had planned.  I hate the numb face feeling and I'm glad I avoided it.  Drilling was shallow enough that pain was not too bad, and it was over quickly.  So, I am very pleased.  My tooth has stopped hurting, I love my efficient little neighborhood dentist's office, and now I can eat lunch without chewing on my numb cheek.  

Sorry to people getting more laborious dental work.  

I had a dream last night that I was in labor and one of the midwives said I had to have a vacuum extraction because I'm overweight, and I was begging her to let me try pushing and to have a positive attitude for me, and then I was on my hands and knees pushing and talking to the baby, asking the baby to help me and to come out and see me, and it didn't seem to be making progress and I felt like I was running out of time.  It was such an unhappy dream.  The midwife in my dream is the one midwife in the hospital-based practice I see who gets kinda short and snippy and bossy (the other three have been super gentle), so clearly I have some anxiety about how she might treat me when I'm in labor.  I'm pretty sure that's just her style though, and that she doesn't intend to sound unpleasant and is just direct, and it's not meant personally.  I don't think I really need to be worried.  Sucky dream though.

Good luck moving your baby, mingus.  A lot of those techniques are supposed to be pretty successful.  My babe wiggles around a lot, but I think she's kept her head down straight through since the 20 wk US.  

heartbeat.gif  Baby girl arrived 10/11/11 heartbeat.gif

#8 of 58 Old 08-09-2011, 10:41 AM

Hi all,

I usually have a pretty good idea of my capacity on a given day.  I can tell how much energy I have, how strong I am, that kind of thing.  And, I do a pretty good job of self care and keeping myself productive and well rested/fed-- before pregnancy and during.   But in the past week or so I've hit Empty without even knowing I was close multiple times-- like my gas gauge is broken.  Which is unfortunate because what Empty looks like for me is the complete inability to make any fruitful decision (should I stay or go?  sit or stand? call someone or not?), and last night I ended up just sitting in my office until 10, when my husband finally called and said he was going to come get me.  It's bothering me a lot.  I took today off work, despite the amount of work I have because I'm really unclear what's going on with me.

Do I just have so little Oomph right now that I can go from half full to empty in a matter of a few minutes?   Is this normal at this stage in pregnancy (32.5 weeks)?  Or am I having a special kind of dissociative episode? 

#9 of 58 Old 08-09-2011, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by puente View Post

Do I just have so little Oomph right now that I can go from half full to empty in a matter of a few minutes?   Is this normal at this stage in pregnancy (32.5 weeks)?  Or am I having a special kind of dissociative episode? 

Totally normal. Or, at least it's normal for me. I can be going strong and then all of a sudden, I'll hit a brick wall and it feels like even holding my head up is taking all the energy I have.

I have no idea what position Sunburst is in. I suspect he's head down because I'm constantly feeling a lump moving from right under the right rib to right under the left rib. I think that's probably his little butt that he's moving around in there. LOL!

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#10 of 58 Old 08-09-2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephandOwen View Post

I have no idea what position Sunburst is in. I suspect he's head down because I'm constantly feeling a lump moving from right under the right rib to right under the left rib. I think that's probably his little butt that he's moving around in there. LOL!

I'm pretty sure I can feel my babe's little round noggin down low if I press in with my fingers.  My midwife did that a couple months ago and showed me where to feel, and I've been feeling the same thing since then.  I can't be totally sure, but I think it's probably the head I'm still feeling in there.  It's round. 

#11 of 58 Old 08-09-2011, 03:27 PM

Yellowdart, I can tell because the movements have always been the same - big, thumping kicks up in my ribs and more fluttery, smaller movements of hands/arms down low in my pelvis. The only time this changed was when he was backwards and in my back.

Baby is doing awesome, I'm feeling great, just really, really miss my husband. I need him right now. My landlord is super shady and it got exponentially worse when DH left on his hunting trip. Our apartment has been entered and shown to countless people without legal notice to me or my consent. I asked him to stop, and it got worse. Now I'm talking to a lawyer because I got home yesterday and my furniture had been moved, DH's gun case was out, and new windows had been installed. I'm not sleeping well because I am so freaked out. However, he should have been careful who he rented to - I used to sue people for a living when I worked for my former company, and I'm currently a regulatory analyst I'n the legal department at my current company - I know the law, and I know my rights. I just wish I felt safe.

Alaskan Wife and Mama to my special little guy ribbluyel.gif (9/13/11) and expecting #2 (2/21/13)!

#12 of 58 Old 08-09-2011, 03:36 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Oh, AKChix, that's not ok. I'm sorry you have to have the creeps while your dh is away. :(

I'm so far behind all of you! I'm just 28 weeks. I feel very immature...

I FORGOT to go to my ultrasound todayduh.gif. It was the one to see if placenta has risen. They rescheduled me for Friday. Sheesh.

Making a March 9th sandwich with a Halloween filling.
#13 of 58 Old 08-09-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKChix0r View Post

Yellowdart, I can tell because the movements have always been the same - big, thumping kicks up in my ribs and more fluttery, smaller movements of hands/arms down low in my pelvis. The only time this changed was when he was backwards and in my back.

Baby is doing awesome, I'm feeling great, just really, really miss my husband. I need him right now. My landlord is super shady and it got exponentially worse when DH left on his hunting trip. Our apartment has been entered and shown to countless people without legal notice to me or my consent. I asked him to stop, and it got worse. Now I'm talking to a lawyer because I got home yesterday and my furniture had been moved, DH's gun case was out, and new windows had been installed. I'm not sleeping well because I am so freaked out. However, he should have been careful who he rented to - I used to sue people for a living when I worked for my former company, and I'm currently a regulatory analyst I'n the legal department at my current company - I know the law, and I know my rights. I just wish I felt safe.

I get the kicks high and the flutters low too, and then squirms in the middle.  It's great.  Sometimes there's odd unidentifiable thumps in the middle, too.  Could be feet, could be hands, could be... knees?  I'm excited to see how she moves around once she's born; maybe I'll be able to identify things she was doing in my belly. 

That landlord business is completely effed up.  I hope you kick his ass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryS-F View Post

I FORGOT to go to my ultrasound todayduh.gif. It was the one to see if placenta has risen. They rescheduled me for Friday. Sheesh.

Nice!  I'm pretty sure pregnancy brain is a real thing.  

#14 of 58 Old 08-09-2011, 04:33 PM

AKChix - That is just so inappropriate and would make me really nervous, too...especially being alone.  Can you put some kind of extra lock on your door?  At least for some peace of mind when you're home alone. 

I'm impressed with you ladies who can tell your baby's position.  I just have no idea, although at my last prenatal the MW thought the baby was head down and said next time I came whoever I saw could show me how to try to figure it out.  I guess I get a little...not squeamish, but uncomfortable....with the idea of pressing hard enough into my belly that I can feel my kid's parts.

I'm gearing up for DH to be out of town 8/22-9/5 and my parents (my reliable go-to sitters for DS) to be gone the first three seeks of Sept.  Trying to get various appointments out of the way (car maintenance, dentist, dermatologist, etc.) while I have reliable coverage for my son.  Life feels just so busy right now.

And I still am on my aromatherapy kick.  Today I restocked my tea tree oil and my bergamot (my fave) and also got some grapefruit oil.  I have two little spray/mister containers now, so I'm going to make one "Invigorating/Refreshing" (with things like tea tree, peppermint, lime) and one "Relaxing" (with lavender, bergamot).  I'm hoping they will be helpful in labor, too.  I'm just so obsessed with them now.  DS has gotten in on the action now, too, and asks me to put some sprays on his pillow and on him before bed each night.

Teacher until birth of DS (7-27-08)blowkiss.gifand now DD (10-17-11)femalesling.GIF:, now SAHM, wife to my wonderful hard-working DH.   cd.gifnocirc.gifselectivevax.gif

#15 of 58 Old 08-09-2011, 07:08 PM

I am so there with the energy thing. Today I was outside trimming trees, pulling weeds, hauling compost & all of a sudden I just needed to sit. And I was SUPER hungry but couldn't even get up the gumption to go up the patio steps to get something to eat. Yuck!

I am pretty positive she is head down. I can feel her head when I check my cervix & if I push I can feel it sort of bounce up & then back down again but the rest of her doesn't move. Oddly she rarely gets me in the ribs, once ds had turned he had his feet in my ribs constantly!!! She prefers to nudge my bladder continuously!

not_telling - I so keep meaning to do more with essential oils but always seem to put it off. I wish I had an "expert" to consult - there seems to be soooooo much information on the subject that I never know where to begin.

I got a pedicure tonight!!!! It was wonderful! She massaged my feet & calves which was so great with all the cramping I've been getting lately & now my toes are sparkly red!

#16 of 58 Old 08-09-2011, 08:22 PM
~pi

wave.gif to everyone.

lifeguard, you are awesome.

Karli, ack. How incredibly creepy.

Rosemary, oops! Good thing they were able to reschedule! good luck with the end of dental work.

puente, totally normal. Brick wall, meet pregnant woman. You may want to try eating a little something in those situations. I don't know if this is true of non-diabetic people, but for diabetics, a total inability to make decisions is highly associated with low blood sugar. (My DH now just automatically checks my sugar when I start being super indecisive.)

So an update re: camping at this stage of pregnancy:

- Canoeing: fine.

- Carrying the canoe: fine. (Will upload belly shot with canoe on head later.)

- General backcountry activities: fine.

- Sleeping in a "2-3 person" tent with a sprawly five year old while very pregnant: NOT FINE.

Last year, it was becoming apparent that our tent was getting to be too small for us, but I failed to really give it much thought before heading out this year. We came out yesterday and I swear, I slept for a year last night, finally back in a regular bed with adequate space and a body pillow. I am finally over my sentimental attachment to this tent (I've had it for almost 15 years and this thing has been everywhere with me) and am now ready to get a bigger one.

Also, note to self: always check with DH about status of bug repellant before checking it off the list. He misinterpreted something I said last year (on a trip in early fall, when we really didn't need Deet) and only packed the citronella-based stuff, which is not powerful enough at this time of year. I think my iron levels have dropped several points over the past few days just thanks to mosquitoes.

On the plus side, among other lovely moments, we happened across a mother loon teaching her baby to fish one afternoon and spent a good half hour, just sitting there in our canoe, watching. It was one of the coolest things I've ever seen up that close, and it was so great to be able to have DS see it.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#17 of 58 Old 08-10-2011, 05:41 AM

Pi....

I have many questions for you...I would like to talk to you via pm's too!!

I used to do a lot of back country and winter camping when I was little....loved it!!!

I would love to start doing it with my kids....but my parents died when i was small so the "how to" never got passed on...only the great memories of it!!! .....and I don't know where to start

1. bears...we used to go for week long portaging trips in Algonquin and I remeber seeing bears, and them seeing us, but no panic.....just the thought of it with my kids freaks me out!!!!

2. logistics...type of canoe...etc

3. 3 kiddos

4. mosquitos....I remember cooking a pot of spaghetti on an islan in Algonquin and eating a mouthfull of the critters with each bite of noodles....lol

lifeguard...I always had muscle soreness....maybe because I only did lower body once a week....I ran every day, you think that would work it out....back/bis...chest tri....legs and abs

mom to ds '07 first day of a new year, dd '09 in the caul, and  ds '11 at home Oct 24th

#18 of 58 Old 08-10-2011, 06:56 AM

Thanks StephandOwen, lifeguard, and ~pi!   You made me feel so much better! 

I'm dying to know my baby's positioning.  I had a painful night of sleep about a week ago where I was positive she was flipping over, but her movements don't necessarily line up.   I know she's on the left side now, and was on the right before, but head down? Not sure.   My DH is a vet and was messing with his stethoscope last night and he *thinks* her heart was lower left, which would be very exciting.

#19 of 58 Old 08-10-2011, 09:27 AM

spinning babies used to have a great belly mapping tut that I used with dd, but their website is totally different now and i think they charge money for it...?

#20 of 58 Old 08-10-2011, 10:16 AM

I can't tell my baby's position, either!!
I palpate babies for a living and it helps NONE. NOT AT ALL. Lol. eyesroll.gif

I cornered a student midwife last week and made her tell me WHERE IS MY BEBE??!!!!? redface.gif

I do think he's stuck head down at this point. He's been head down for 5 weeks, as much as I can tell.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#21 of 58 Old 08-10-2011, 10:17 AM

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#22 of 58 Old 08-10-2011, 10:45 AM

Hi all,

This week got off to a tough start.  Sunday night I found out that one of my fellow midwifery classmates (there was only 6 of us) was in a horrific car accident.  She is the mother of 8 children (ranging from 4-24 yrs old), and was driving across country from MA with 6 kids to see the other 2,(who live in Idaho).  It would have been the first time she'd had all 8 kids in the same place at the same time.  Anyway, accident happened in the middle of the night in MN.  Her 14 year old son died, and her 7, 9, and 11 year olds were all in critical condition (one has since been released, the other two are now stable).  She, her 4 yr old and 19 yr old were all treated immediately and released right away.  Needless to say, this has rattled me in a way I hadn't anticipated.  It is horrible any way you look at it, but I am especially torn up by a) it being someone close to me and b) the tradegy that she will never get to have all 8 kids together at once.  And the fact that her family has forever changed in a moment.  My heart is breaking for my friend and her family.  Physically, they are doing OK, and they have a lot of support around them right now.  It is such a reminder that there are absolutely no guarantees in life (or birth). 

Outside of that.... thanks for the added info on camping while pregnant!  We just ordered an "8 person" tent you can stand up in, and got a new air mattress.  We'll be camping in VT.  Outside of the many bites, it may be good that you didn't end up using DEET stuff though?  I have citronella extract I mixed with almond oil too.  Probably not as potent, but I get really paranoid around chemicals.

Baby is definitely head down, but moving a ton. I can feel the head when I palpate, but when I feel kicking, I have no idea what I'm feeling.  Still, I've been going to exercise classes during lunch at work, and then spending 5 minutes on the decline bench.  I'm not worried about position at this point regardless, but it does feel nice to at least have gravity going the other direction for a few minutes a day. 

Tomorrow night we're going to Pittsburgh for a family reunion.  For all of you PA ladies, we're actually going to Kennywood Friday night too.  If my 85 year old grandpa is going, then I am too, even if we have to skip the Steel Phantom & Thunderbolt for the swan boats and train ride instead!  I'm excited for the weekend away, and to see my family.

Last weekend we put the legs on our co-sleeper we're building!  Next major step is to make the mattress.  DH bought me an old sewing machine- a Singer 457, and we've been playing around practicing on it.  We got some cute flannel to make some blankets though.  I can't wait.

Amy, feathering our nest with sweet husband O and baby girl, P (October 2011). 
#23 of 58 Old 08-10-2011, 10:48 AM

Jane - thank you! Now I know that LOA is exactly what I thought! He's been LOA at every visit except for the one he was in my back (OP). Great image!

Alaskan Wife and Mama to my special little guy ribbluyel.gif (9/13/11) and expecting #2 (2/21/13)!

#24 of 58 Old 08-10-2011, 11:23 AM
~pi

Oh no, Amy May. I am so sorry for your colleague's losses. I can imagine how that would affect you, and I cannot imagine what she is going through right now. brokenheart.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy May View Post
Outside of the many bites, it may be good that you didn't end up using DEET stuff though?  I have citronella extract I mixed with almond oil too.  Probably not as potent, but I get really paranoid around chemicals.

No, in mid- to northern Canada at this time of year and in this kind of bug season? I will take the chemicals, hands down.

saoirse, feel free to PM. Though I will be honest and say that I don't know if I would be nearly as ambitious with 3 kiddos as we are with one pretty well-behaved 5 year old who is used to walking long distances, etc. We didn't really start going back to backcountry until I was through the dissertation gauntlet, so DS was 3yo before we really got back to it. With this one, we're talking about doing stuff again next summer, but then possibly scaling back plans for a year or two while he's in the manic toddler phase of life.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#25 of 58 Old 08-10-2011, 12:30 PM

pi - sounds like you had a pretty good trip overall. We let our tents get old & even though well taken care of both leaked. This year I've replaced our big tent but still need to replace our small, lightweight tripping tent. As we had the last ones for over 10 years I hesitate 'cause I want to make the right decision!

My last canoe trip we came across a mama loon sitting on her nest. She was absolutely not going to go anywhere despite our presence & I got a few wonderful pics of her. Such a good mama!

Where were you camping? I have found the bugs have gotten SO much better in the past couple weeks that my non-deet spray is enough for that hour in the evening the mosquitoes are out. The whole deet thing has been a real debate with me this year. Being pregnant & having ds with me I've been super hesitant to use it but then nothing else really works but then the deet stuff isn't even really effective when the bugs are really thick. I just can't seem to find a compromise I am ok with.

saoirse - The algonquin website actually has a fair bit of info on bears & other animals. There is more fear than necessary around most animals imo, although I am guilty of it myself at times!

The hard part about a canoe trip with 3 kids would be arranging everyone in canoes. You'd most likely need 2 canoes with an adult in each one but that would mean that each adult is essentially paddling alone which can be more challenging. There are lots of places you can rent canoes close to the parks & so far I've had good luck with them.

afm - I am feeling just awful today. My belly just aches (it's been doing this off & on for quite awhile now - pretty sure it's just ligament pain), I'm super overtired & just irritable. Last night I slept about 3 hours & that was all interrupted. It seems fully unfair that I cannot seem to fall asleep & stay asleep & sleep well when I am asleep.

Question for anyone who has or has had a 2 year old. I have looked in the gentle discipline thread but find that the stuff I'm finding doesn't really apply & last time I posted there I felt attacked. Ds hits & pinches. Primarily us. It's rarely out of frustration or anger or in the midst of a fit. It's not to get attention (I've been specifically watching for this the past while). It seems to be an impulse control thing. You'll be cuddling him & suddenly he pinches your arm. Or playing nicely & swings out with an arm or leg, on purpose to hit/kick. I feel like I've tried everything but he just does not seem to be able to control it. I am trying hard to understand it is a developmental moment in time but I am SOOOOOO sick of it & just want it to stop. More & more we are finding we are having difficulty controlling our own emotions when he does it & it is happening so frequently I feel like I am spending a good chunk of my day on edge.

#26 of 58 Old 08-10-2011, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Rosemary ... Oh!  That's frustrating to have missed your u/s.  But great that it was rescheduled for Friday!

AKChix ... What a creepy landlord!  I'm sure he's in violation of several tenancy act laws, if you have such a thing where you are. 

Camping ... We had to get rid of our tent this year.  I took it to Burning Man a few years ago and it never truly recovered, even though it's technically fine.  It's embedded with playa dust, and poor DP gets an asthma attack the minute it comes out of bag.  So we gave it away and got a big, comfy 6 man tent. 

Bears ... I've run into bears when I've had dd in a back-carry, but not with her being on her own two feet.  At the time, we had two big dogs who loved to chase and tree bears, so they were a good distraction while I made myself big and loud and backed away.  I've seen a bazillion bears in the backcountry (and in our backyard and even one time in our kitchen!) and only ever been charged twice, both by black bear mamas.  Once when I was hiking with an autistic girl I worked with who plunked herself down in the middle of the trail and refused to move, and once when I got between a mama and her baby on a really narrow trail with blackberry bushes on either side.  Both times, the bears 'fake' charged, as in charged towards me and deked off into the bushes at the last second.  Terrifying, but considering that I've had so many bear interactions, not very surprising. 

My tips:  don't bring dogs with you into the backcountry (I'm wiser about that now. I was that kid in my twenties who brought my two big ol' dogs with me everywhere).  Wear bear bells.  Make noise.  Carry a walking stick (just in case, helps you look 'bigger').  Carry bear spray, but only if you know how to use it properly and safely.  Pay attention to the trail ahead of you.  Be aware of bear scat and tree scratches and rub points.  Stick to the main, peopled, trail.  Pack away your food up high in a bear-proof way.  Never turn and run away ... bears can outrun you and if you run they think you're worth chasing.  Be mindful of venturing out while anyone in your group is menstruating. 

Jane ... So reassuring that even professionals can have a tricky time figuring out where baby is!  Thanks for the compass.  Great reference!

Baby position ... Our baby is flopping between LOA and ROP and LOP, because, as my midwife pointed out, second time (and more) mamas' abdominal muscles don't hold baby in place quite so well.  But mostly he's LOA ... I think.  I hope! 

energy levels ... I can go go go in the morning, but about three o'clock sees me in a stupor.  It'd be okay if I could sleep, but that eludes me most nights.    I've got busy days lately, so that doesn't help.  I have to go plug-in to ambulance dispatch tomorrow night for five hours starting at 7pm so that I can get some educational credits for my paramedic license, and I bet I'll be falling asleep by about two hours in. 

lifeguard ... I hope you feel better soon! 

Amy May ... What a devastating tragedy.  I am so sorry for your friend's family and their incredible loss.  It's so true that life can change in a moment.  I see it happen at work (I'm a paramedic) and it never gets easier to witness.  My thoughts are with you.  Difficult times.  Painfully difficult times.  So sad that her children will never be all together.  candle.gif

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#27 of 58 Old 08-10-2011, 07:38 PM

Amy May, that is terrible news.  So sad greensad.gif

Rosemary, good luck at your U/S. My placenta had moved when they checked it at 28 weeks.  Woo hoo!

Baby position... I am terrible at telling position.  Placenta was anterior & baby was transverse when I had the U/S, but I think maybe moved.  I mostly feel movement down by the cervix/lower belly area & on the left side, occasionally something up top.

Energy - I am completely & totally exhausted. I had a big work project over the last few weeks & now that it's over I am crashing big time.  It's funny, my energy level has been pretty high this pregnancy except for the 1st few weeks I was pregnant, but now I am suddenly beat.

I finally went through DD's baby clothes and organized by size.  I'm really going to need some winter clothes for this little one!  I've been adding to my Amazon universal wishlist... I really hope my parents offer to help buy some stuff. Even though this is #2, we have quite a few things to get ready.

#28 of 58 Old 08-10-2011, 08:39 PM

Amy May, I'm so sorry for your colleague's loss.  What a horrible accident for that poor family!  I'm sure such a thing would rattle me completely if I knew them personally, as well.  Love to you all.

Baby's position:  The thing that has helped me the most, believe it or not, is baby's hiccups.  Every single time he gets them (which seems strangely frequent these days!), I feel that little funny twitch sensation, almost always in exactly the same lower-right spot in my belly, right near my hip bone.  That plus I can feel the corresponding hard bump at the top of my uterus, which my midwife already helped me identify as the baby's bottom.  I can sort of feel the back, but I can't feel the head like she can (unless I feel it by way of hiccups).  At my last check less than a week ago, baby was posterior (but willing to turn away from the doppler into a less posterior position), and she tried to help me feel the feet.  No luck.  I couldn't feel anything but the ridges of my stretch marks, lol.  My midwife figures it all out so quickly, but her assistant is still trying to get the hang of it.  She missed my last appointment, and my midwife sighed and wished she could have been there, because baby's position would have been a good learning opportunity for her, I guess!

Canoeing:  I'm impressed!  I had the opportunity to canoe with my family this summer, but declined.  Both DH and I felt it would be too risky in the way of throwing out my back.  I've done it in two previous pregnancies with very benign motions, so I haven't wanted to risk any sort of pulling/twisting motion on purpose.  But maybe if your muscles are good and fit, it's not a problem?  The first time I threw out my back, I was bending over and scooting something light across the floor, from one side to the other.  The second time, I picked up a very small pile of clothes from my bed and twisted to put it up at the top of my closet. 

Bug spray:  It's been an awful, awful year for mosquitoes.  I've tried to stay away from DEET as much as possible, but the natural stuff just doesn't cut it when I *have* to be out in that sort of infestation.  The one night I tried natural-based repellent this year, I got 10 bites in about 20 minutes.  And when I get bites, they swell to nasty sizes.  So I was very unhappy.  That week I broke down and bought some DEET-based repellent, which helped marvelously.  Though I have tried to control my exposure by simply staying indoors in the evening hours as much as possible.  ;)

AFM:  32 weeks!  I'm officially 2 weeks past the point in time in my last pregnancy when I started suffering from SPD.  I've been seeing the chiropractor proactively for a couple months now, and I really think that's made a big difference for me.  I almost always have a constant dull ache in my pubic bone, but I'd take that happily every day for the rest of my pregnancy to not have to deal with the insanely debilitating pain of full-blown SPD.  So, yay!   I'm finding myself with a lot less energy these days, too.  While I still feel fairly agile and well, I need to sit down and rest a lot more.  My older kids start school on Monday, and I'm eagerly (and selfishly!) looking forward to the 7 hours of quiet with just my 3yo DS.  I haven't had 1 child at home alone since before my oldest was less than 2 years old, so I've been nervous for a while... but my kids have gone crazy the last week or so, and I'm just eager for the quiet at this point, lol.  And I think it will be good for 3yo DS and I to have a lot of one-on-one time before the baby comes to take away his status as baby of the family!  Still hoping his transition goes as well as possible!  In the mean time, he can learn to be my "big helper" at home, and we can both get ready for the baby together.

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

#29 of 58 Old 08-11-2011, 05:58 AM

Baby position: Mine has her head right in the middle under my ribs and is pretty much sitting.  Sometimes she will go a little to the left or a little to the right.  She was laying across a couple days ago, but moved back to being upright.  I'm not holding out much hope in her turning.  I've been doing the exercises.  I refuse to have my doc try to turn her (my brother almost was killed that way). 

Amy May: How heartbreaking.  I'm so sad for your colleague, her family, and all of you who know her.  I'm in Pittsburgh!  (I've never been to Kennywood, but everyone raves about the fries!)  They are filming Dark Knight in downtown through next week, so while traffic  is a nightmare, the fake snow on the cars in August is pretty cool.  Theres also a nice square with a runthrough fountain to cool off.  And at their other filming location near the university my friend saw Christian Bale and Anne Hathaway from her office window. 

Energy levels: I have none.  Iron is fine, sleep is still okay.  I'm just attributing it to baby.  I really want to feel like myself again.  I had to walk about two miles from my office to an appointment and another errand the other day.  It was so hot and muggy and I really considered sitting down and calling a cab.  Not like me at all.  I stopped in a panera just so I could sit and have a drink.

Camping: I want to go camping but my weekends are booked.  And DH has said he will not be camping with me in September.  I might pitch my tent in the backyard with my dog and blow up my matteress just to pretend.  I love sleeping outside.  Speaking of, I need to get my hammock set up.  ~Pi, sounds like an awesome trip!

Social working mommy to babygirl.gif 10/10/11, three cats, and a dog.

#30 of 58 Old 08-11-2011, 06:00 AM

I finally got an ok night's sleep last night. Tons of dreams when I was asleep though! Most distressing was the one where dh died - oy! Unfortunately ds woke up fairly early in the night screaming & ended up in bed with me & then woke up several more times through the night screaming. He went back to sleep quickly each time but it made for a more fragmented night for me. I'm really starting to dread going to bed now 'cause I'm so consistently sleeping poorly.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page