Dreams about Breastfeeding - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-09-2011, 03:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Has anyone else been dreaming about breast-feeding? Several times now I have had some super positive and beautiful breastfeeding dreams. I admit that I am anxious to have a wonderful breast-feeding experience with this baby, who will most likely be our last. Our older son was born with a cleft lip and palate and we were totally unable to nurse. I pumped constantly for three months, always with very little milk produced for three months until his first surgery and it all just fell apart. So, this time, with no cleft foreseen on ultrasounds, I really want to "do it right..." I also have the fact that I will have to return to my teaching position after three months weighing on me. That means more pumping. Hopefully, I can pump at work and nurse exclusively at home.

Anyway, I am hoping that these dreams come true.

Hannah, Wife to R , Mama to Alexander, born 2-15-08,
and Gabriel, born 10-17-11. Ask me about cleft lip and palate!
signcirc1.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 08-09-2011, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Me! Funny, I thought I was weird for dreaming about breastfeeding before the baby is even here...glad I'm not the only one. This is my first baby so obviously I have no experience breastfeeding, but my mom and sisters all breastfed their babies so I've got a good support network in case we have difficulties. I too am hoping to have a good nursing relationship with the little one...I have to go back to work when baby is 9 weeks old, so I'm really hoping that we'll get off to a solid start and have an established latch etc. before then. I'm worried about nipple confusion and whether baby will even accept a bottle, if my supply will be enough or if I'll be able to express enough with the pump, and all those other problems you hear about...luckily my DH will be able to bring baby to me at lunchtime for a nursing session most days, so I'm sure that will help.

I'm sorry to hear about your struggles with your DS...I hope everything goes beautifully for you this time and that you are able to have the breastfeeding experience you dream about! 

P.S. Do you mind telling me what pump you used last time, and whether or not you would recommend it? Since I will be doing a lot of pumping I knew I should probably get a double electric pump, so I settled on the Ameda Purely Yours for the BPA-free and hygiene factors...it arrives today, and now of course I'm second-guessing my choice...argh!

Head over heels for DHjoy.gif bonus mama to super sweet DSS (10/9)superhero.gif and mama to DD (10/11)loveeyes.gif! nocirc.gif  sewmachine.gif  goorganic.jpg

#3 of 6 Old 08-09-2011, 10:51 AM

I have only dreamt about the baby once, early in the first trimester. It was a girl (wrong), and she tried to nurse on my DH. I took her and started to nurse, and she was a biter. greensad.gif I'm hoping that since the gender was off, the biting part was wrong too!

Alaskan Wife and Mama to my special little guy ribbluyel.gif (9/13/11) and expecting #2 (2/21/13)!

#4 of 6 Old 08-09-2011, 11:01 AM

I dream about my son nursing  quite often - and he hasn't nursed since March I think.  It's bittersweet since he doesn't even try anymore, and makes me look forward to this nursling even more!

LaBruja - I returned to work at 7 weeks post partum. I used a Medela Pump in Style Advanced and since I've never used a different pump, I quite like it, it seemed to work really well. (I have used a Lanisoh hand pump, which works, but I far prefer the electric sort). A big plus for me is that I can use any standard size bottle with it, and since we used glass bottles, it's nice to be able to pump straight into a bottle.

Even though the Medela is a double pump, most of the time I just did one side at a time. It seemed more natural to me, and I could do things like play on my phone or flip through a magazine while pumping. It helped me have a distraction. Unless I was in a rush, I always did just one side at a time. As far as nipple confusion . . . DS had a bottle of breastmilk within his first week. He would latch on and off, and it was so frustrating! and the eyedropper took forever . . . so I broke down and pumped a little and until I went back to work, we mostly pumped and bottlefed, and nursed maybe 30-40% of the time. Once I went back to work, it was bottles only when I was away. He never had any problem going back and forth, but if boobies were available, that's what he prefered. I think there is a fine line with nipples - I've read you don't want to introduce them too early, but if you wait too late, they may not take it all. For us, especially because I was working (and will be again with this baby) I preferred to introduce the bottle more on the early side.

That's a bit OT I know, from dreams about breastfeeding . . . but I hope it helps!

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#5 of 6 Old 08-10-2011, 06:09 AM

I dreamed I had a wonderful, happy baby, who was sometimes a bumblebee, and it breastfed. Also I dreamed the baby was a puppy, a white lab like one of our IRL dogs, and it breastfed also. I have had really weird dreams this time around!

drowning in hormones with 4 daughters and an understanding, loving hubby. also some dogs. my life is crazy and we are always learning.

#6 of 6 Old 08-10-2011, 03:47 PM

Hannah, what beautiful dreams! You are all ready to give this baby the gift of your breast.

I have had a couple of dreams about birthing that included breastfeeding. In one my son was footling breech and in the other there was a cord prolapse. In both dreams I was birthing totally unassisted (DH wasn't even there) and in both dreams he came out super fast and easily, pinked up right way, started breathing without trouble and then he latched on and began feeding!

Wow, purplerose, that is some trippy stuff! Loved hearing about it.

FIREdevil.gifJessima, devilish wife to tiphat.gifKelleypa and bellycast.gif mama to 3rdtri.gif Wolf EDD 10/04/11.

Looking forward to a wonderful  waterbirth.jpg followed by some tasty placenta.gif and thencd.gif  intactlact.gif familybed1.gif homeschool.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page