Need outside opinions on a name..... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 08-09-2011, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We do not know the sex of this baby, but have had a boys' name for quite awhile (Nicolas River and will be called Nico).

Our son's name was an easy decision as well, Kai Sebastian. Kai means wave in Hawaiin (we honeymooned in Hawaii and my husband is also a surfer), and ocean in Japanese, as well as a symbol in many japanese words ( I speak Japanese and my husband is a marine biologist). Not to mention it is "keeper of the keys to the earth" in scandanavian, and I am from scandanavian descent. So, to us the meanings are very important.

We are having an awful time deciding on a girls name! We didn't even have one picked before Kai was born, so "luckily" he was a boy because he would have been a nameless girl!

We have gone through many names, but none have stuck (Sage, Lily, etc). My husband likes my middle name, Victoria, but it is too traditional for me and I don't like names that can be shortened (for girls), like "Vikki".

We have come up with the name "Ren" for a girl, with the middle name being Margaret (my grandmother's name) or Victoria, my middle name. Ren means water Lily in Japanese and also Lotus. I am a yoga instructor, and we practice Buddhism, so the meaning is significant.

My question is; is Ren too out there? I like the one consonant like, DS name, Kai. We would do Wren, but my husband is from Nicaragua and he said in spanish they may pronounce the "W" too hard. But here, Wren is more likeky to be recognized.

Thanks for your honest opinion!!!

April
#2 of 13 Old 08-09-2011, 03:02 PM

It is unique, but I don't think it is "out there".  Even though I have typically seen it "Wren", "Ren" isn't unfamiliar or something I would raise an eyebrow at.

Social working mommy to babygirl.gif 10/10/11, three cats, and a dog.

#3 of 13 Old 08-09-2011, 03:14 PM

I think Ren is pretty-- not too out there at all.  Really good choice!

Now I just need some...

#4 of 13 Old 08-09-2011, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Wren was our top pick had this one been a girl.  I absolutely love the name!

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#5 of 13 Old 08-09-2011, 04:36 PM

I, too, have only seen it Wren, but I think Ren is absolutely fine.  And it's a lovely name, to boot.

Teacher until birth of DS (7-27-08)blowkiss.gifand now DD (10-17-11)femalesling.GIF:, now SAHM, wife to my wonderful hard-working DH.   cd.gifnocirc.gifselectivevax.gif

#6 of 13 Old 08-09-2011, 04:38 PM

I really like it!

joy.gif:Mommy to Lennon Elizabeth 11/27/09 and somebody new, due 10/08joy.gif:

#7 of 13 Old 08-10-2011, 02:36 PM

I think it's just perfect! I love the way Kai and Ren sound together. I actually have a friend who was named Ren (a boy) but now he is a she and called Colleen. It's cool that both Kai and Ren have related Japanese meanings, very aquatic names. Your DH is right, Victoria is a beautiful name. Nicolas is also very beautiful, and River is aquatic again. All around, great choices IMO. thumbsup.gif

FIREdevil.gifJessima, devilish wife to tiphat.gifKelleypa and bellycast.gif mama to 3rdtri.gif Wolf EDD 10/04/11.

Looking forward to a wonderful  waterbirth.jpg followed by some tasty placenta.gif and thencd.gif  intactlact.gif familybed1.gif homeschool.gif

#8 of 13 Old 08-10-2011, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you everyone! Amazing how this little girl's (or boy's!) name has been keeping me up at night! It is nice to have outside opinions.
#9 of 13 Old 08-10-2011, 04:42 PM

I like Ren a lot.  I actually think I even like it better with that spelling than Wren.  I also love your DS's name and your name for if this babe is a boy.  I think all of them are different, but not far too far out.

Amanda- mama to Lincoln 1/09 and expecting #2 10/11!
#10 of 13 Old 08-10-2011, 07:24 PM

I like it! I would think it's a nickname for a longer name but I still like it on its own...and better than Wren. 

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
#11 of 13 Old 08-11-2011, 06:30 AM

I really like it, too! I like it spelled both ways and I love the meanings. I think it is a lovely girls name!

Beth )O( Homeschooling Mama to blahblah.gif DS (7) luxlove.gif DD (5) and sleepytime.gif DS (1) & #4 on the way in October!!! love.gif
 homebirth.jpgecbaby2.giffemalesling.GIFbf.jpgsewmachine.gifrainbow1284.gifnovaxnoIRC.gifphotosmile2.gif

#12 of 13 Old 08-11-2011, 07:24 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I do like it better spelled Wren.
#13 of 13 Old 08-11-2011, 07:40 AM

I love the sound of it, and I love the spelling, Ren. It goes really well with Kai. I don't think it's too out there at all! 

~Iris~ Catholic mama to DD1 11/15/05 * DD2 04/28/08 * brokenheart.gif06/23/2010 * and our little rainbow DS 10/07/11 love.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page