Would you treat a possible yeast infection with meds at 34 weeks? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 08-16-2011, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am so annyoned. I had my OB appt yesterday and told her that I have been having some itching/burning going on and I thought I might have a yeast infection or something. She was in a big hurry and barely looked at me just quickly did the Group B swab, checked my cervix (1cm), and ordered another US because I am measuring 39 weeks. She told me that she would give me a prescription for some cream and was out the door. I am really not liking this practice lately but honestly the idea of switching now is a little overwhelming.

Anyway, would you use the cream? I went to Whole Foods the other day and bought more probiotics (Jarrow Fem Dophilus) and have been taking 2 a day for the last 3 days (things are slightly improving). I think I also need to focas on keeping the "area" dry ;)

I might be more inclined to use the meds if I actually knew I had a yeast infection like if she had actually examined me! I had bacterial vaginosis earlier in the pregnancy so it could very well be that too but she didn't bother to take a sample and look at it under the microscope or send it for a culture or anything! UGH I am so frusterated!! WWYD?

Thanks,

Amy

Amy praying.gifbfinfant.gifslinggirl.gif familybed2.gif saynovax.gifsewmachine.gif crochetsmilie.gifWAHM to energy.gifElle 3/2/2004, joy.gifMeadow 12/02/2006, bouncy.gifAzaliah 4/09/2009, and baby.gif Olive 09/23/2011. I have been partners.gif married to my husband Bill since 2/22/03.....

#2 of 13 Old 08-16-2011, 10:11 AM

I would probably use some garlic. Peel a clove, poke some holes in it and shove it up there. You can attach a string to it for easier removal. And, a lot of women can taste the garlic strongly once it's inserted, so doing it at night is preferable. I didn't have any issues with that, myself. You can also bathe in diluted ACV.

Nicole treehugger.gif  Busy with my two boys.jog.gifdiaper.gif  The 'big boy' too. peace.gifOh, and a sweet baby girl, born at home in October. love.gif

#3 of 13 Old 08-16-2011, 12:30 PM

I've done the garlic method for yeast infections too, except not while pregnant.  I kept the garlic in day and night (but would change it), and I never bothered with the string.  Also, eliminating sugar and refined flour as much as possible helped me.  It might also be a good idea to avoid sex until all of your symptoms go away, and good for you for the probiotics.  If it were me, I wouldn't take the medication either, but that is me!

That is annoying that your Dr didn't take you very seriously. I'm sorry you had that experience.

Finally, the other thing to be aware of is that sometimes symptoms of a yeast infection are very similar to a UTI.  Yeast is not harmful to the baby, but an untreated UTI is a huge deal, and can lead to preterm labor and all sorts of other issues.  So, if you're not finding relief in the next few days, I would definitely get it checked out and insist on a culture. 

Hope it goes away soon!

Amy, feathering our nest with sweet husband O and baby girl, P (October 2011). 
#4 of 13 Old 08-16-2011, 02:43 PM

I tried all of the natural remedies while pg w dd 1 and finally took medication which did clear it up until about 3 wks after birth and then that wouldn't even work. I have been dealing w/ yeast off and on for close to 3 yrs. If you don't have it systemic yet and it is just in the vagina then absolutely do the cream, you can just get monistat over the counter. It is fine to do a 3 day suppository treatment. If you feel you can take it then try the garlic, the diet, etc. If it isn't that bad and you can have it cleared up in 3 days with the over the counter cream then I would do that. It is frustrating and uncomfortable. If at all possible you don't want it to get worse to the point where it can't be treated.

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#5 of 13 Old 08-16-2011, 04:59 PM

There is supplement you can get called Gynatren which I used a couple of weeks ago and it totally worked! It is homeopathic and probiotic, consisting of supple probiotics that you take orally and homeopathic borax capsules that you use vaginally- it's a 14 day treatment. My midwife recommended it and it was a lifesaver, reducing my symptoms after just one day. It says on the box not to take if you're pregnant, but my midwife says that's just hooey- they say that on all kinds of supplements for legal reasons. She's been a midwife since I was born, so I trust her judgment completely.

Also- echoing what others said- no sugar, including fruit and juice and limit bread products. Eating yogurt and applying plain yogurt topically can help relieve the itching too. I think garlic vaginally is perfectly safe, too.

Happily parenting our snuggly wild child since 2007 and her little brother since 2011!

#6 of 13 Old 08-16-2011, 07:20 PM
~pi

On occasions when I feel a little yeasty, I run a bath, pour in a little vinegar until I can smell it (any kind, I usually use white as that's what we are most likely to have plenty of) and soak for 15 minutes or so. That clears everything up almost every time. If it doesn't, then I know it needs further attention. (Which hasn't happened in years.)

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#7 of 13 Old 08-16-2011, 08:01 PM

yeah I would probably do the cream b/c I've had problems with recurrent yeast in the past. Fortunately I have NOT had thrush but have heard how unpleasant it is from moms who have (same critter I think). But its a bummer that OB didn't check things out at all! In my case, I'd be pretty sure it was yeast b/c I am prone to it (more in early pregnancy, ugh).

I also do a baking soda bath myself. Other remedies sound good. Have heard of ladies who did the garlic suppositories for a week or two before GBS swab, so definitely preggo, and no problems. I've never done it myself.

dissertating mom to three

#8 of 13 Old 08-16-2011, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meggles View Post

There is supplement you can get called Gynatren which I used a couple of weeks ago and it totally worked! It is homeopathic and probiotic, consisting of supple probiotics that you take orally and homeopathic borax capsules that you use vaginally- it's a 14 day treatment. My midwife recommended it and it was a lifesaver, reducing my symptoms after just one day. It says on the box not to take if you're pregnant, but my midwife says that's just hooey- they say that on all kinds of supplements for legal reasons. She's been a midwife since I was born, so I trust her judgment completely.

Also- echoing what others said- no sugar, including fruit and juice and limit bread products. Eating yogurt and applying plain yogurt topically can help relieve the itching too. I think garlic vaginally is perfectly safe, too.

I absolutely would NOT take anything with borax during pregnancy. I know many things are labeled just because but that one can be very dangerous and there is a lot of stuff out there as to whether it should be available at all much less during pregnancy. My m/w said absolutely not and I personally wouldn't risk it. there are many other things out there that are plenty safe. I would do medication over the borax suppositories (which I happily take while not pg and they work great) but while pg just would not risk it. Best of luck.

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#9 of 13 Old 08-17-2011, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboysmama View Post

I absolutely would NOT take anything with borax during pregnancy. I know many things are labeled just because but that one can be very dangerous and there is a lot of stuff out there as to whether it should be available at all much less during pregnancy. My m/w said absolutely not and I personally wouldn't risk it. there are many other things out there that are plenty safe. I would do medication over the borax suppositories (which I happily take while not pg and they work great) but while pg just would not risk it. Best of luck.

Just to be clear, the product I mentioned does not contain regular, full-strength borax. It contains homeopathic boricum acidum which is highly diluted. Sort of like homeopathic belladonna- something you would not want to ingest full-strength but in homeopathic form is considered very safe. I don't think I would use regular borax internally during pregnancy either.

Happily parenting our snuggly wild child since 2007 and her little brother since 2011!

#10 of 13 Old 08-17-2011, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone :) I still have not used the cream yet but I am still taking the probiotics and using pantyliners all day which seems to be making it better. I have another OB appt on Monday so I think I am just going to keep doing what I am doing and then on Monday insist on an exam and a real diagnosis.

Amy

Amy praying.gifbfinfant.gifslinggirl.gif familybed2.gif saynovax.gifsewmachine.gif crochetsmilie.gifWAHM to energy.gifElle 3/2/2004, joy.gifMeadow 12/02/2006, bouncy.gifAzaliah 4/09/2009, and baby.gif Olive 09/23/2011. I have been partners.gif married to my husband Bill since 2/22/03.....

#11 of 13 Old 08-17-2011, 06:44 PM

I also found this resource: http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/vagInfections.html

Seems like tea tree oil and hydrogen peroxide washes can be particularly helpful, regardless of whether it is yeast or some other infection.

#12 of 13 Old 08-17-2011, 11:18 PM

If I had a yeast infection, I'd certainly use an OTC cream to treat it. I haven't had much luck with the home remedies. I don't use homeopathics as a matter of principle, so nope on that, lol.
It's really important to go into labor with healthy tissues, so do what you need to do to fix it before then.

It is possible the doc did a yeast swab at the same time as the GBS swab. I can often identify a probable yeast infection just from the appearance of the skin and discharge. Certainly after a cervix check, I've got a pretty good idea. The equivocal ones I send to the lab or ask the client what her intuition is - if it's still there in a week, then the lab for sure.

On a personal note, I've had a hard time staying dry, between august sweat and pregnancy juicy...well, I change unders twice a day, minimum. And I've recently added in a talc-free powder - that seems to help. And, a jock-itch spray on occasion has helped a ton with the irritation where my underwear sits - I was supicious of a topical yeast (like a diaper rash) and the fact that it cleared easily with the spray seems to confirm that.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#13 of 13 Old 08-20-2011, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

So last night I finally caved in and used the meds. It starting getting worse and when I managed to get a quick look in the mirror (this was eaiser said than done lol ) I saw a yeast looking rash where the worst of the itching is. So far I don't have too much relief but it is a 3 day course so if I am not 100% by Monday I will demand a better exam at my appt that afternoon.

Amy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page