Anyone have info. on pro/con or directions for self-checking cervix? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-18-2011, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm all ears, or eyes rather. This is something I've thought about doing this pregnancy so I can check/track my own cervical change. 

Jamie: Kinda crunchy, computer geeky, very blessed, attached mama to five
R (4/1997), A (6/2002), B (07/2007), K (06/09) & N (10/17/2011)

#2 of 7 Old 08-18-2011, 02:44 PM

this isn't much help but after about 4-5 months I absolutely can NOT find mine.I think it is tilted and mushed back or something. Also I wouldn't recommend checking it too often until you are full term (about 37 wks or so) just to avoid getting the cervix too irritated.

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#3 of 7 Old 08-19-2011, 08:11 AM

The last time I successfully checked my cervix was around 20 weeks, and it was soft and mushy, just like it should be. Whether you can find your or not, remember that it is extremely common for women who have already had a baby for their cervices to begin opening now- they can and often walk around with cervices paritally dilated (up to 3-4 cm even) for a month or two. 

I tried to check again this week, and my cervix was so far back I couldn't even harldy reach it.  I could tell it was posterior (pointing towards the back).  I got into a squat (which tends to bring it forward as much as possible), and I couldn't even get a good feel.  I made my husband try to find it too, and it basically alluded both of us.  But anyway, that is what I would suggest if you are checking, squat or one leg up on a chair, and clean hands for sure.  You can also try when sitting on the toilet.  Funny thing too is that even though I couldn't reach it myslf, lately during sex, I've had to change positions to avoid too much bumping on my cervix.  (sorry if that is too graphic!)

Amy, feathering our nest with sweet husband O and baby girl, P (October 2011). 
#4 of 7 Old 08-19-2011, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I generally check mine half reclined in the tub. I must have long fingers 'cause I never have trouble finding it. It's totally unnecessary but after years & years of ttc ds & then this one I got into the habit of it & find it fascinating to "see" what is going on.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#5 of 7 Old 08-19-2011, 09:41 AM

Last time I tried, I just couldn't reach properly, between it being really really far up, and the belly in the way.
Just enough to know it was firm and closed. Well, firm for a preggo.
I'm surprised at my restraint. I would have thought I'd be a total obsessor. Weird.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#6 of 7 Old 08-21-2011, 05:04 AM

I have my husband check mine if I'm concerned. This is the second pregnancy he's done it for me. I assume he googled to figure out what he's doing(and it hurts MUCH LESS than when the OB did it a zillion times in my first two pregnancies). I have no interest in checking my own, and I have a feeling I'd have no idea what I was feeling in the first place. It all just feels like the same flesh to me.

drowning in hormones with 4 daughters and an understanding, loving hubby. also some dogs. my life is crazy and we are always learning.

#7 of 7 Old 08-21-2011, 07:14 PM

I'm normally dialated about 6-8 cm for the entire month before the baby is born...even with my first. So it really means nothing to me...it's no indication of when i'll actually deliver.

I'm 2 cm now, which is right on track with the first two. That's about all it tells me though!

Mama to Reuben (8) and Zeke (7)fencing.gif and baby girl, Lötte babyf.gif
Illustrator/designer of children's media and rubber stamps.  blogging.jpg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page