Measurements are all over the place.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-22-2011, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So I have been measuring a few weeks ahead in the office for quite sometime now. I never asked by how many weeks until last week. I am measuring about 5 weeks ahead I am currently 35 weeks. So I had an ultrasound this morning for size and they said she is about 6lbs 6oz. She is measuring about 2 weeks ahead and her head is measuring 37 weeks 5 days. Fluid is good.

I have never measured this far ahead. Usually in the office I am about 1 week ahead but the ultrasound is normally right on track. I am just really worried that they are going to want to do a c-section because they are going to say that her head will be too big by the time I go into labor. I have no intention of having a c-section unless it is an absolute medical necessity.

Is it normal for measurements to be all over the place?

Amy

Amy praying.gifbfinfant.gifslinggirl.gif familybed2.gif saynovax.gifsewmachine.gif crochetsmilie.gifWAHM to energy.gifElle 3/2/2004, joy.gifMeadow 12/02/2006, bouncy.gifAzaliah 4/09/2009, and baby.gif Olive 09/23/2011. I have been partners.gif married to my husband Bill since 2/22/03.....

#2 of 4 Old 08-22-2011, 10:01 AM

I've been ahead since about 22 weeks. I was measuring 6 weeks ahead up until I hit 30 weeks, now I'm only 2 weeks ahead. Midwife says that's totally normal, a centimeter is a VERY small measurement, and she herself was wildly ahead in some of her pregnancies.

My last ultrasound was at 23 weeks, and the baby, while large, was not 6 weeks larger. I just have a high uterus, a lot of fluid, and a baby with my genetics (gigantic head).

I think it depends on your provider as to what happens next. I'm pretty confident that my midwife won't push a c-section for size issues. Can you refuse future ultrasounds, or are there other medical issues they are tracking?

Alaskan Wife and Mama to my special little guy ribbluyel.gif (9/13/11) and expecting #2 (2/21/13)!

#3 of 4 Old 08-22-2011, 12:16 PM

I measure ahead too - my belly measured 38 weeks last week at my 32 week appointment.  I think it's related to pre-existing belly fat.  My baby measured about a week and a half ahead, with a 35 week head (dunno where she got THAT Sheepish.gif) which they say isn't a problem, and I actually have borderline low fluid. 

I am totally not a medical professional, or an expert on this, but the normal wisdom is that mamas will almost never grow a baby they can't deliver.  I would be really really resistant to induction or c-section due to head size.  It's good to consult with the doctors and take their advice seriously, but also do your own research, talk to other people, and make your own decision if you do get pressured about it.  

I hate that feeling that doctors might not be completely trustworthy, it makes this whole process more stressful because I feel like I have to second-guess the things they're doing and suggesting.  

heartbeat.gif  Baby girl arrived 10/11/11 heartbeat.gif

#4 of 4 Old 08-23-2011, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies :)

So I had my weekly OB visit yesterday afternoon and now in the office I measure 42 weeks lol ;) She does not seem too concerned. She didn't have the ultrasound report yet but she seems to think that the baby is just slightly large and that I might be a week ahead but not more than that. I have to have weekly NST's from here out which is fine with me. I had lots of uncomfortable contractions last night so there is a whole lot of practicing going on lol ;) I thought maybe I was going into labor, they were 3-4 minuets apart for almost 2 hours but then they spaced out and stopped.

Amy

Amy praying.gifbfinfant.gifslinggirl.gif familybed2.gif saynovax.gifsewmachine.gif crochetsmilie.gifWAHM to energy.gifElle 3/2/2004, joy.gifMeadow 12/02/2006, bouncy.gifAzaliah 4/09/2009, and baby.gif Olive 09/23/2011. I have been partners.gif married to my husband Bill since 2/22/03.....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page