Chat Thread: 8/21-8/27 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 64 Old 08-22-2011, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Sorry it's late this week. Hope everyone had a great weekend!

Quick frustration vent..... so, we're doing the pediatrician search right now. We thought we had a good lead on a pediatrician that doesn't mind alternate vaccine schedules (around here it's HARD to find anyone who is willing to discuss it, most say "do our schedule or leave". So we heard about a pediatrician who doesn't mind alternate vaccine schedules and accepts our insurance. I called them today to see about setting up an appointment to go talk to the dr. All sounded good.... until they asked if my older son had any health concerns. When I told them he has autism and respiratory airway disease she said that she would have to talk to the dr, but normally he doesn't accept patients who have special health issues so they would need to ask him first. WTH?! What's the point in having a pediatrician if he'll apparently kick your kid out if/when they develop any sort of special needs?? I have an appointment to meet the dr on Wednesday and find out what's up. Maybe there's a simple explanation for his reasoning. But I just can't wrap my mind around it.

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 64 Old 08-22-2011, 01:37 PM

That sounds weird Steph. I wonder if you would have better luck with a family practice physician. That is what we do here- we don't even have pediatricians on the island.

Here is my personal vent for the day...

Dh just informed me that his field work will continue through the fall and winter. I thought he was almost done! They are day trips but put him out of cell range and due to the nature of his project will have to take several whole days during his family leave to go out in the field. Great... not what I wanted to hear. If I go into labor while he is out there I will need to call one of his coworkers to drive out to the end of the road (1 hour) and use a radio to contact him on the boat because the radio doesn't work from town- you have to be closer. Then the time to come in from the water, pull the boat in, and drive back (which takes longer pulling a trailor!). I was not pleased and basically said... no, you need a better plan then that. We'll see. I'm really not OK with him heading out in the week before I'm due.

I had a long labor last time (40 hours!) so I'm sure in his mind he feels like he has plenty of time to get home before things get tough but I'm just not happy with this at all and it stresses me out. We do have a doula but I'm really going to need help with DD more then anything. Grr...

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#3 of 64 Old 08-22-2011, 02:00 PM

We signed on our house today... But the sellers are totally screwing us and not signing by the deadline for it to record on time. I'm not at all pleased.

I have a screaming headache, feel WAY overheated (cant cool down) and have almost thrown up today. Not sure how much of that is house stress and how much is pregnancy related, but I feel really icky and want to crawl back in bed.

I can't believe I'm going to try to work for over a month longer - what was I thinking?

As far as pediatricians, make sure to look them up with your state medical board. I'm currently interviewing and the one I got a card for at my midwife's is under sanctions/probation - unacceptable.

Alaskan Wife and Mama to my special little guy ribbluyel.gif (9/13/11) and expecting #2 (2/21/13)!

#4 of 64 Old 08-22-2011, 04:04 PM

That is frustrating and worrisome :(

In Canada peds only sees children who have special health concerns.  I was not happy about that when I had my son and was looking for one, but I am glad now - because I know this way the kiddos that need the expertise get it :)

I hope you will find the best fit :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephandOwen View Post

Sorry it's late this week. Hope everyone had a great weekend!

Quick frustration vent..... so, we're doing the pediatrician search right now. We thought we had a good lead on a pediatrician that doesn't mind alternate vaccine schedules (around here it's HARD to find anyone who is willing to discuss it, most say "do our schedule or leave". So we heard about a pediatrician who doesn't mind alternate vaccine schedules and accepts our insurance. I called them today to see about setting up an appointment to go talk to the dr. All sounded good.... until they asked if my older son had any health concerns. When I told them he has autism and respiratory airway disease she said that she would have to talk to the dr, but normally he doesn't accept patients who have special health issues so they would need to ask him first. WTH?! What's the point in having a pediatrician if he'll apparently kick your kid out if/when they develop any sort of special needs?? I have an appointment to meet the dr on Wednesday and find out what's up. Maybe there's a simple explanation for his reasoning. But I just can't wrap my mind around it.

mom to ds '07 first day of a new year, dd '09 in the caul, and  ds '11 at home Oct 24th

#5 of 64 Old 08-22-2011, 06:16 PM

Oh, no.  :(  Everyone already has so much to worry and complain about!  :(  I hope you all feel better/figure things out soon.

I haven't even honestly started on the doctor hunt.  I'm so terrible at procrastinating that.  I definitely want a family doc this time... we found one in our last state that I finally, finally was so pleased with, and I'm afraid to be disappointed after that (because my previous experiences were anything but happy).  We don't vax at all and don't circ, so those really complicate the search.  My midwife told me of a naturopath family doc within about 15 min of me, and I'd probably be okay with that just based on what I see on the website and what my midwife told me of his personality, but it's not like I've actually gotten on the ball to schedule a visit or anything.  Sigh.  Time's running out.  I just really hate this part of having a baby.

I had my prenatal appointment today.  My ultrasound report from last week said that baby was measuring 3 weeks ahead and at just under 6lbs.  Midwife said she's always gotten extremely reliable measurements from this particular group.  And based on feel today, she and her assistant agree that baby is currently 6-6.5lbs.  So, right on track to end up being just as big as my last baby, who was 10lb 10oz (/resigned sigh).  Baby's position was ROT, not engaged at all.  Good!  But I kinda knew that already.  I feel his head on my hip bone *all* the time.  Also the ultrasound doctor tends to note with bigger babies if there's a concerning ratio difference between head an shoulders (possibly leading to complications like shoulder dystocia), but he made no such note on my ultrasound report, and the ratio looks good.  So, I might be pushing out yet another gigantic baby, but at least there shouldn't be any unusual complications just based on his size!

If anyone's curious how my daughter is doing with her broken arm, she's back to her normal self.  Which is to say, she is *completely* freaking me out with her craziness.  She's seriously back to jumping off the bunk bed and standing on top of unstable toys and stuff like that.  She even told me she blocked a wayward four-square ball with her cast at recess today!!!   I feel like she's half a breath away from hurting herself again (or one of her brothers).  So, yeah... stress.  Not fun.  But at least she's not feeling bad?  The added stress (financial as well as worry about my kids' safety) is making me act crazy, though.  More crazy than I usually get with pregnancy.  My DS whacked me in the nose the other night (on accident, but after I warned him to stop flinging his arms around), and my gut reaction was wanting to hit him SO bad, and while I stopped myself (just barely!), I ended up screaming a very growly-scream at the top of my lungs, such as I have never heard come out of my body before.  And then I cried, and yelled a lot before I could calm myself down.  And my youngest DS cried from my crazy reaction.  And my older two kids looked absolutely stunned and slightly scared, themselves.  Oh, it was a fun night.  I couldn't believe I reacted like that... I'm hoping I can stop stressing soon and things will calm down a bit for me. 

I've been writing down a to-do-before-baby-comes list over the past couple weeks, and I finally got started on it today!  DH and I cleaned out and organized our walk-in storage closet.  Over the past couple months it's gotten so out of hand that I've been worried about falling down and hurting myself every time I try to go in and get something.  Now I can finally walk in and get what I need without worrying for my safety, lol!  I also started re-organizing the linen closet, and re-washing some of the things that have been in there long enough to start smelling like they were never even washed.  Anyway, not really baby-related, but these things go a long way in making my home feel more comforting and "ready" to have a baby in.  And it feels good to get something done!

Maybe I should make a new thread for this, but I've been thinking a lot about my older kids being around for my homebirth.  On the one hand, I really think they would benefit from seeing a normal birth in action, especially my daughter.  I mean, my own views of how birth and labor can and should go was definitely influenced by being present for my mom's two homebirths as a pre-teen.  But on the other hand, my mood and personality these days is such that I feel like I'm going to feel more like "get out of my face!" than "come here and share this wonderful moment with me!", you know?  My midwife suggested I come up with firm plans for several different situations, and let myself figure out exactly what I want when I'm actually *in* labor, but I still feel unsettled not having figured out exactly what I'll want.  I had my kids there for my last homebirth, but then they were 4 and 2, and not really interested.  Their caregiver gave them the option of going outside to play, and they eagerly took that over sitting around to watch mommy!  But I feel like this time they're old enough (~8, 6, 3.5) that they'll want to know what's going on, and probably bug me a lot more in the process.  Anyone have any thoughts or input?

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

#6 of 64 Old 08-22-2011, 09:17 PM

My question of the day:  what to do about baby blankets?  Babies need blankets, right?  Blankets to cuddle with and blankets for rolling around in the grass and on the floor, thin blankets/sheets for swaddling, and blankets to keep warm in the car and that sorta thing?  What sorts of blankets did you ladies get for your previous babies, and what ended up being really useful?

heartbeat.gif  Baby girl arrived 10/11/11 heartbeat.gif

#7 of 64 Old 08-22-2011, 10:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Steph - I hope you are able to find a doctor you like. Finding a family doctor around here is difficult - there simply are not enough. I do have a family doctor but she is an hour's drive away so it's impractical to go to her for pressing things (like ds' allergic reaction & following infected rash the past couple weeks) so I end up bringing him to emergency. It drives me a little bit crazy. It's too bad too 'cause I really like my doctor. There is a list in the community of people waiting for a family doctor & I'm going to put our names on that but I don't know how they go about deciding who is next in line - my understanding is it is not first come, first served.

Sue - what does your dh do? It sounds interesting.

Karli - house closures are never as smooth as they should be. When we closed on ours a couple months ago there was a major storm & power failure so the banks weren't able to finish their part of the paperwork. We ended up closing 1.5 days late. In the end it will all be ok.

Leiahs - I'm scared to make a to do list! But we had a big housewarming party this weekend & that was really good incentive to get the upstairs all clean & organized. I spent a total of 5 solid hours cleaning, organizing & unpacking the remaining boxes upstairs. Unfortunately our basement is still a pile of boxes. Sigh.

Yellowdart - the only baby blankets we used were receiving blankets (lots & lots of these) to clean up messes, swaddle in & have around as a light covering & one heavy crochet one that I used to put under ds as a playmat of sorts BUT we were in Costa Rica when he was little. I think it will be a totally different story this time. I do use his baby quilts now on his bed - I always found he was getting tangled in the sheets & blankets so now I just put a bottom sheet on his twin bed & then one or two of the little crib sized baby quilts on top of him. So the blankets did find a use in time!

afm - it looks as though I've hit weekly appts, very quickly too I might add. I was going once a month & now it's once a week - crazy! I saw the ob again this morning to review my bs records & he was fairly happy with it. He did hem & haw a little bit over whether we should add more insulin but when I was able to explain each of the few highs he was content with how I'm managing it. Unfortunately he wants me to start doing bi-weekly u/s which doesn't really please me. I know he is wanting to keep an eye on the baby's size but we all know u/s are not necessarily very accurate with that. I was preparing for nst's but he didn't even mention them. I'm 33.5 weeks right now & I have to say another 7 weeks of this is not looking like much fun - I'm READY!!! Selfishly, I'm ready to stop feeling so enormous as well - I have a very definite waddle right now & have never felt bigger in my life.

Ds & I are halfway to visiting a friend in another province. We drove 6.5 today & have about another 6 tomorrow. He did SOOOO well. I purposely took a hotel tonight that had a pool so we had a good swim before bed & we'll swim again tomorrow before we take off. I think we will stay about a week before making the return trek. I don't really enjoy the drive but I am really looking forward to seeing my friends.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#8 of 64 Old 08-22-2011, 10:11 PM

Steph- That is odd... My guess is that his practice is full and he can't take on new patients that will be extremely time consuming.

We use a family practice doc. that I love. He is really really wonderful. I feel like we kinda tricked him though. He took me on when I was pg w/ ds1 just as my backup dr. with the idea that he would take ds when he was born. I asked if he would take dh as well and he was a little hesitant as his practice was full and he didn't want anyone too high maintenance... told him we were all healthy and rarely went in, etc. Well it has been 10 yrs and dh has developed a rare but severe form of arthritis (psoriatic arthritis) and has to be monitored closely w/ lots of referrals, dh also has been diagnosed with muscular dystrophy, etc. etc. etc. we have 4 kids soon to be 5 and 3 of which have sensory processing disorder and all 3 need OT, 2 need PT which comes with regular referral forms, etc.  Anyways he is wonderful and has been great for our family but I can see why a dr. might not want to take on too much:).

Sue- That would freak me out!! I would NOT be ok with dh being gone and unreachable when I was that close BUT I know that I personally would not go into labor if I knew he could not be reached. That has happened with my mw on several ocassions (I just wait till she is back in town like literally plane hitting the tarmac kind of thing:)). I hope it works out for you guys and that you don't stress too much about it. I am glad you have a doula though. Hopefully that will ease your mind a little.

Karli- Yeah for signing on the house!!! Boo for the sellers being butt heads.

Leiahs- glad your daughter is doing well. Sound like quite the bruiser (I have one of those:), tough as a nails).

Glad you are getting organized. Sounds like the type of nesting i am doing. I cleaned out both of the kids bedrooms and ours as well (only 1/2 of our closet though bcs I ran out of time and haven't gotten back too it). That will at least give some space to put baby stuff when I am ready, it is all part of the process i guess.

Kids at the birth- I have had my kids at the birth and am a firm believer of it. It is a really really wonderful introduction to natural peaceful childbirth and a great way to introduce the baby to the family. I was a nanny for 12 yrs to 2 wonderful girls. We chose not to have them at my first birth as they were 3 and 6 and I had no idea what birth was like myself. It worked out well as I ended up transfering and that would have been hard. After that I knew how I labored and they have been at all of my live births since.

Birth of ds 2 the kids were 8, 5, and not quite 2. The birth was fast and the kids weren't there long before ds2 was born. No issues with boredom or them getting in the way. The oldest mentioned to someone that she was at the birth and they said weren't you scared. She looked very blankly at them and said at what? It was great.

Birth of ds 3 the kids were 10, 7, 4, 2. the birth was a little longer and kids started getting restless. They each had a turn in the birthing tub with me (1 at a time) and my brother took them in the other room and entertained them for a while. They were all around the tub when he was born. His cord ruptured right at birth the kids were asked to back up they all did (no one knew anything was wrong although the oldest wondered why the mw was kissing the baby).

Birth of dd1 the kids were 12, 9, 6, 4,2,. Pretty much same scenario. they are free to come and go as they wish. This was through the night though so my 6 and 4 yr old slept right till we woke them. the 2 yr old was up but hung out with me in the tub and didn't bother me at all and then watched a movie for a bit.

The kids don't bother me while I am in labor. I am comforted by their presence. Actually the mw had them leave at one point (I think it was with ds3, not sure) and my labor vertually stopped, she called the kids back in and boom full blown back in action:). I also find that they know that mommy is busy, they just don't demand anything from me. (I am definately in my zone).

Things I have done (at least variations) for the births to prepare are:

the kids help me to prepare birth kits. They each have their own bags and in the bags are a variety of things such as waterproof camera, disposable camera (get one w/out a flash as the flash gets a bit annoying), swim suits, bathrobes, towels, etc. Birthing shirts (last time the girls got m/w in training shirts and the boys got big brother of a homebirthed baby shirts). One of the births the kids made candles that they got to light during the labor. Oh, notebooks and pencils for documenting the birth, coloring, etc. An activity bag might be good too if you are having someone watch them that is not familiar with your home. It is very important that you have a designated kiddie wrangler so that you dh and the mw can do your thing.

That is just what has worked for us and I am looking forward to it again.

The kids were really dissapointed that they couldn't be there last time. In reality it would have been just fine but I didn't know how it was going to go or what the baby would look like at 17 wks (or less). So we are all looking forward to welcoming the baby in this way.

Yellowdart- baby blankets, uggggg. We have way too many. People always give babies blankets and it really isn't that cold here. I find that 1 or 2 nice fleece type ones and a handful of receiving blankets are all we need. BUT people still keep giving us blankets. You will most likely end up with plenty.

Lifeguard- glad the trek is going well. Pool time is always fun. Hope you have a great visit with your friends.

AFM- I have been sooooooooo tired. I am napping every day. I just am wiped out. Also, I have thrush again and it is really bad this time so the nursing is killing me and I am so swampy, etc. in my crotch, it is really uncomfortable. I have absolute no sex drive at all (poor dh) I am just so swolen down there and so exhausted.

The last few days I started having uterine tightening again (hoping it is bh but this is exactly how it started a few months abo when I got diagnosed w/ bv and was put on antibiotics and bed rest) hoping I don't have to go in again and that things mellow out soon. This is not normal for me so totally sucks and makes me really really worried.

My big kids have been in school a few weeks. I handled the sanitizer issue by just not buying it and sending my kids in w/ their own personal one that I prefer they use. I really don't want them using alcohol based sanitizer as they both really can't keep their hands out of their mouths. They are hardly ever sick so I figure what we do works, and I just want to stick with that. Also, I talked with the principle and we didn't provide supplies like copy paper, etc and just got the supplies that my kids would use in the classroom. If they run out mid yr then I can come up with the $$ then but it was just too much.

Ds3 started prek today and he loved it. I don't know how impressed I am with it but we will see. He gets to take the bus tomorrow and is really excited.

I am starting to come up with a baby to do list in my head so that is a start. I know we need our halloween costumes soon so I need to get a move on that first. We do a family theme every year and this yr it is scooby doo. Got to find a sub sandwich costume for the baby:)

I can't believe things are moving right along. Only about 8 wks left for me. I am really hopeful although nervous but I really am excited to meet my lo. 

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#9 of 64 Old 08-22-2011, 11:57 PM
~pi

Steph, that sounds stressful. I always feel so lucky that we finally got in on the wait list for our local Community Health Center. (Prior to that I at least had access to student health. I have no idea what I would do now.) We have such a great model -- nurse practitioners do the bulk of the consultations, they can consult with family docs and other allied health professionals if need be, there is 24 hour coverage so we never have to go to emergency unless it's truly an emergency, they do house calls when necessary, etc. I think they are even open to alternative vax views, though I'm not sure about that. (We vax fully and on schedule.)

yellowdart, blankets are a very common baby gift. My 2 cents -- I would make sure you have about half a dozen to a dozen receiving blankets (depending on how often you want to be doing laundry and how much of a chance you want to take that you'll have a spitter) and then wait to see what people give as gifts before getting any more.

lifeguard, have a great trip! FYI, unless your doctor specifically said it's just a size u/s, it's probably size and a four-part BPP, which is what they do in Canada rather than just NST when they have the facilities and staff for it. SOGC guidelines specifically note that a recent practice is to do the four part BPP and only do an NST if the score is less than perfect, i.e., less than 8/8. (Here is the pdf if you want to read.) Personally, I find this approach much more sensible, and way easier. For me, at least, the four BPP elements typically take less than 5 minutes, you never have to buzz the baby, and if you're recommended to have monitoring due to risk factors, they're going to be want to do u/s anyway, so this streamlines the whole process.

Leiahs, hugs. I'm glad your DD is feeling great, but that sounds stressful. Hang in there.

Sue, I would totally freak out over that. Do they really need the data?

theboysmama, I hope your energy picks up soon and you feel better!

Karli, good luck with the house closing!

AFM, I made the mistake of reading Jack Layton's last letter to Canadians before leaving to pick up DS at camp today, which required driving. Word to the wise: It's difficult to drive when you are blinded by tears. What a loss for his family and for the country. There is a great photo of him and Olivia (his wife) on their tandem bike at Pride 2008 circulating on Facebook, and it's just such a great example of his attitude and community spirit. (For non-Canadians, this was the leader of one the major national parties, now the national opposition. Prior to that, he was a city councillor in Toronto for years. Even many people who didn't agree with his politics really liked him personally for his warmth and admired him for his commitment, integrity, and relentlessly positive attitude. He had prostate cancer last year, and then an undisclosed other cancer this summer, and died at age 61 early Monday morning. The whole country is in mourning.)

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#10 of 64 Old 08-23-2011, 04:37 AM - Thread Starter

Nicole- if that's the case with the dr, and I can understand that reasoning, then it's no big deal- ds doesn't actually go to the ped for anything related to his autism or rad. He has specialists that do all that, and our insurance doesn't require referrals so we always seek out whatever we need for ds on our own.

Baby blankets- I agree with whoever said that everyone likes to give blankets. I'm not sure why, but people really do. Last time we had far too many, of every size and material. This time I made one that will be used to cover the infant carseat. I also bought a light fleece one. That's it. I'm waiting to see what happens at the baby shower before I buy/make any more.

I'm so bummed and annoyed right now. We bought a freezer sunday (brand new) and it doesn't work! It barely gets cold (turned all the way up). Ice melts in it. Grrrr. So now we have to try and borrow a truck again, bring it back and get a new one. Such a pain in the butt.

#11 of 64 Old 08-23-2011, 05:20 AM

lifeguard - try to get a doc asap....I was able to bypass the whole wait list because I was pg...got myself  and son in right away.

pi - Jack Layton's death is incredibly sad - I don't like to say it but if any other politician were to pass - I might barely take notice, but this is a little heartbreaking :(

mom to ds '07 first day of a new year, dd '09 in the caul, and  ds '11 at home Oct 24th

#12 of 64 Old 08-23-2011, 05:40 AM

steph- bummer on the freezer! That totally sucks!!! Since you bought it new you should see if they will come pick it up and bring you a new one. You already held your end of the deal getting this one yourself.

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#13 of 64 Old 08-23-2011, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboysmama View Post

steph- bummer on the freezer! That totally sucks!!! Since you bought it new you should see if they will come pick it up and bring you a new one. You already held your end of the deal getting this one yourself.

This is what I said. DH was on the phone with them for almost an hour last night arguing this. We got it from Sears, but they claim that they don't delivery from our local Sears, they make deliveries from somewhere else. They said that if we wanted them to bring us a new one then it wouldn't be until the 1st or 2nd week of September until they could bring it. Totally unacceptable because if I were to place an order right now on Sears website for the exact same freezer, for them to deliver, it would get here in a couple days- not in 2-3 weeks! I am on a new "reduce stress at all costs" kick right now so I'm just letting dh handle it however he wants.

#14 of 64 Old 08-23-2011, 07:36 AM

Steph - Frustrating about the doctor and the freezer!

Sue - Not being able to reach DH would stress me out too! Last time in the last weeks if he didn't answer the phone right away I would freak out.

Karli - Closing and moving always is stressful, always, I hate it. The only time it wasn't was when we closed due to refinancing (hello lower rate!!) because we already owned the house.

Leiahs - My DS sounds like your DD - no fear at all. I am scared daily.

Yellowdart - We have so many blankets and don't use most of them. Of course DS was a spring into summer baby so I am sure we will use them more this time. But I agree I got a ton for gifts.

Lifeguard - I loved stopping at a hotel with a pool when I would travel with my parents as a kid. So much fun to be able to swim :)

Nicole - Thank you for sharing about kids at birth. We plan to have DS in the house and hopefully in our room for the birth, now I jud tneed to ask my friend if she can come and be with him.

pi- I hate when I am crying in the car.

AFM - I am taking iron (Floradix) once a day now because my number is just under where they want it to be. I don't know if it is that or the probiotic I added or vitamin overload or third trimester sickness but my stomach hurts for most of the morning these days. I already split my vitamins into two times a day because there are so many, but honestly I feel like an old person. I eat pretty well, but my iron seems low most of my life (I often get turned away from giving blood or just qualify) I wonder if it is calcium overload (I love cheese!).

Mama to DS (03/09) and DD (10/11) and married to the love of my life

#15 of 64 Old 08-23-2011, 10:05 AM

Hello to all and hugs to those dealing with too much stress - pregnancy related or otherwise.

We had a wonderful family vacation last week, and I'm easing back into school work and then regular work later this week. It has been delightful to have some time off, and DH and I both feel a lot more ready and excited to meet this new baby soon. Also, baby flipped to head down about 10 days ago after being transverse for a long time, so that's exciting!

I also notice I'm feeling really different the last few days. I have tons of BH contractions, which I expected based on my experience with DS, but I'm already feeling crampy and lots of pressure/pain in my back and hips. I'm starting to feel a lot like I did in the 2ish weeks before DS was born when I was having prodromal labor and feeling like there was no way I'd make it through another 4-6 weeks of being pregnant. I had DS at 38 weeks and remember looking back and thinking 'ok, so I guess I was right that I didn't have another month to go.' It has me a little concerned to be feeling some of the same already (33 +4 today) because either I've got at least another month of this late pregnancy discomfort (this is most likely) or this baby is going to decide to come earlier than she really should. I had a MW appt this morning, and we did discuss some contingency plans for if I do go into labor in the next 2-3 weeks. It was helpful to get some clear plans in place, but I just really hope she stays in for another month so we can birth at the birth center and not have to transfer to one of the hospitals with a NICU. I also hope my body can feel better because another month of contractions (I'm talking like 10 an hour sometimes), and aches and pains does not sound fun. 

#16 of 64 Old 08-23-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeguard View Post

Sue - what does your dh do? It sounds interesting.

He is a fisheries biologist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowdart View Post

My question of the day:  what to do about baby blankets?  Babies need blankets, right?  Blankets to cuddle with and blankets for rolling around in the grass and on the floor, thin blankets/sheets for swaddling, and blankets to keep warm in the car and that sorta thing?  What sorts of blankets did you ladies get for your previous babies, and what ended up being really useful?

We really love the Aden + Anais swaddling blankets. We had a 4 pack and they were perfect for swaddling and are still in use as cuddle blankets for DD today. I found regular flannel receiving blankets too small for a good swaddle. We had a few other blankets for the floor, car, etc... We use prefolds for spit up.  I'm also going to make her one that is flannel on one side and silk on the other just for coziness!

I'm trying not to think too much about DH being out of reach. I don't want to be too stressed wondering "what if?" If I start to feel contractions the night before he is supposed to head out- even if they stop, I won't let him go.

We sold DH's old car this weekend so now I have money to go buy a dresser for the babe! I'm so excited to finally be able to get clothes washed and put away! :)

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#17 of 64 Old 08-23-2011, 11:53 AM

Sue, I've got the solution. My DH is going out of town off and on too (including 10 days to Kodiak for hunting) and will be unreachable as well. We just bought a four bedroom house - you can just fly to Anchorage and stay at our place! We'll keep each other company, I can watch your DD if you go into labor, and I know a great birth center! orngbiggrin.gif

I'm brilliant, I know. And humble.
Snugglebugmom and lifeguard like this.

Alaskan Wife and Mama to my special little guy ribbluyel.gif (9/13/11) and expecting #2 (2/21/13)!

#18 of 64 Old 08-23-2011, 12:07 PM

Blankets - we bought some flannely ones and some cotton ones ourselves when I was pregnant with DS, and we were gifted a bunch of handmade knit/crochet ones.  I registered for and got an outdoor blanket that we love.  Waterproof on one side, cotton with a fun pattern on the other..great for laying on dry or wet grass, sand, etc.  The one we got is by Tuffo.

Lifeguard - I wonder if you could say ok to just a couple more ultrasounds instead of bi-weekly...?

AFM - Day 2 of DH being away for 2 weeks.  Sigh...  Today I covered up all of DS's toys with sheets (a sheet for the shelf of toys, a sheet for his play kitchen, etc) because every day we're battling over cleaning up and I'm tired of it.  He told me last night he was going to finish cleaning up this morning, but this morning he said he didn't want to and that I should cover all his toys up (an option I presented last night).  He can't watch any shows until he cleans up the things he said he was going to clean up this morning (not even a lot!  just some train tracks and blocks).  We'll see how long he lasts without toys and shows.  Certainly not a great time for this grand experiment, as it makes it harder for me to get things done.

Blah!

Any other U.S. east coasties feel the quake this afternoon?  It shook up our lunch a bit.

Teacher until birth of DS (7-27-08)blowkiss.gifand now DD (10-17-11)femalesling.GIF:, now SAHM, wife to my wonderful hard-working DH.   cd.gifnocirc.gifselectivevax.gif

#19 of 64 Old 08-23-2011, 12:30 PM

AKislandgirl, I've been eying those swaddling blankets for a while. We've been given a quilt and a knitted blanket (both hand-made) and I bought one receiving blanket but that's all we've got so far.

not_telling I'm in MA and thought I was having convulsions! I was rather relieved to find out it was just an earthquake.

#20 of 64 Old 08-23-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKChix0r View Post

Sue, I've got the solution. My DH is going out of town off and on too (including 10 days to Kodiak for hunting) and will be unreachable as well. We just bought a four bedroom house - you can just fly to Anchorage and stay at our place! We'll keep each other company, I can watch your DD if you go into labor, and I know a great birth center! orngbiggrin.gif

I'm brilliant, I know. And humble.

Perfect! And your DH can stay at our place when he gets weathered into Kodiak! (not that that EVER happens here! winky.gif)

#21 of 64 Old 08-23-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teruterubozu View Post

AKislandgirl, I've been eying those swaddling blankets for a while. We've been given a quilt and a knitted blanket (both hand-made) and I bought one receiving blanket but that's all we've got so far.

They are worth the $$ in my opinion. Super soft and really easy to get a nice tight swaddle! Also great for the airplane because they are light and don't take up much room in your bag!

#22 of 64 Old 08-23-2011, 04:28 PM

Well I know what I'm buying this weekend then! It will be one of the few things we've bought ourselves as well.

#23 of 64 Old 08-23-2011, 05:01 PM

Well my uterine tightening and cramping is getting worse. Feels like it did in June when I had bv so I think maybe I have an infection again. I am waiting at ob triage (looks like I could be here forever) and hopefully everything is ok. I will keep you ladies posted.

#24 of 64 Old 08-23-2011, 06:39 PM

Re: blankets, We got a lot with DD.  What we generally used most were flannel recieving blankets underneath her while she was sleeping or playing to catch spit up.  And then a lovely hand knit bamboo blanket from a friend when nights were chilly.  

This time around with a fall/winter baby on the way, I have been sewing blankets with pretty cotton on one side and flannel on the other - bigger than standard recieving blankets so they can do double duty - playmat/spitup catcher or light blanket.  They're also way prettier and I hope they will wear better than the standard flannel ones which I found got very rough after awhile.  I also have bought some lightweight fleecy ones. I also have several small crib quilts I made DD that we will use again.

Um, ladies.....holy moley, but we're about to have babies....how did the time fly so fast?? bigeyes.gif  I can't WAIT for birth stories to start showing up!!!

I certainly feel uncomfortable enough to believe it's almost baby time!

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

#25 of 64 Old 08-23-2011, 08:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

theboysmama - I hope things go well.

pi - thanks for the info - that makes a lot of sense.

katico - I made several flannel receiving blankets that were much bigger than standard - they were my favourites.

afm - We finished our drive. I once again proved that a bumpy, rough drive will not put a woman into labour! My tummy is not so happy about all the sitting though. Yesterday I cramped up SO bad when I got out of the truck midday it took me a full minute to be able to stand upright. Today I did a better job of stopping & going for actual walks - one of which turned into a little bit of a climb. Ds appreciated that even more.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#26 of 64 Old 08-23-2011, 10:34 PM

Well I am back and all is well. They monitored boo and her heart rate was good. I was definitely contracting but my cervix is closed so they are guessing it is BH. No infection, even looks like my yeast cleared up! Guess it took 9 pg's to start feeling the bh. redface.gif Now at least I have a new normal.

#27 of 64 Old 08-24-2011, 04:57 AM

Nicole: I'm glad all is well!

Social working mommy to babygirl.gif 10/10/11, three cats, and a dog.

#28 of 64 Old 08-24-2011, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter

Update on the pediatrician thing- I went and met with him this morning and he is FABULOUS. The reason the hesitancy on accepting my ds was because they are a very small office (him and a registered nurse) so they just don't have the resources in the office that other places do. He explained that they can and will help find any resources we need, but that it would take time because they don't have anyone in the office that's just for that (like other offices do). I told him that was fine, we were just looking for someone to do well visits and sick visits, not a specialist in autism. We are already well connected with resources in the community for ds's autism, so it's not something we're too concerned with.

I had a whole list of questions and tried to ask them in a non-leading way winky.gif and he answered all of them perfectly. Alternate vaccine schedules are no problem at all (he went off on a tangent about how it is his job to provide parents with information and their job to make the decisions- it's not his job to tell parents what to do and refuse to see the kids if the parents don't do everything the way he says to). He looked at the schedule dh and I had come up with and made one suggestion to think about, but said that whatever we wanted to do was fine. Everything else was great, so I think we've finally found a dr for the kids. Woo!

#29 of 64 Old 08-24-2011, 07:30 AM

Good morning! 

I'm feeling a little discouraged today. I had my midwife appointment last night, and found out that I gained 7.5 lbs this past month, and my blood pressure was a little high. She has me doing the 24 hour urine test now to see if there are any signs of pre-eclampsia. I really hope that I don't have it. I've been feeling fine this whole time, no swelling or anything. If I do have it I will have to be co-managed by my midwife and an OB. I'm 31 weeks 1 day now. Crossing my fingers that things are fine!!!

Chelsea, loving mama to Landon, born 11/3

#30 of 64 Old 08-24-2011, 09:09 AM

I like those hospital receiving blankets but I never used the rectangle ones they sell at baby stores. The hospital ones are larger and square and much better for swaddling. We have moderate temps here in Brazil so I don't anticipate needing much more. I'll just dress baby in shirt and diaper at night and swaddle. We're approaching summer so things are about to heat up.

I'm planning to have my son at the birth but we have someone that will take him if it gets to be too much for him or if I decide I want to be alone. I've been very impatient these days but I think that is normal for a woman in her 3rd trimester. I'm trying to remember to keep my hormones in check but it gets difficult when you have a 3.5 yo who knows all the buttons to push. Lately he has been hitting which really concerns me. We don't hit or spank so I assume he learned it in school. :/

Akislandgirl, your DH should beware that 2nd births are usually much quicker than 1st births!

mingus, I'm feeling some cramping too. Is that normal? I never felt crampy with my first and I was still closed entirely at 40 weeks. I also have tons of PSD pain, especially after working out. I have a feeling this baby will come earlier than 40, not sure why.

Doing a lot of nesting here too. Washing sheets and baby stuff. Today I have a bunch of workers at the house doing the yearly fixing/cleaning/etc. After I cleaned the pool i realized they must have sprayed outside for bugs b/c there were 3 dead cockroaches on my back patio. :/ I'm not pleased about them using chemicals but I guess it is too late for that. I'm just going to make sure they don't try to use it inside!

Today a lady came to see about installing a toddler height handrail for my staircase. I have two dogs and this lady was terrified of dogs. Both my dogs are very sweet. I put the little one in a cage but I had no place for the big one (they stay outside). So the big one is an old chocolate lab. He is as sweet as they come and we had about 8 workers all around and he wasn't bothering anyone. I held him around the neck b/c this woman was freaking out about coming in my yard. So I held him far away so she could walk from the front gate to the house. Even then she was too scared to come in the yard. Eventually we talked her into coming in with two men escorting her and me at the other end of the yard with my dumb, old lab. When she left the dog was in the back so I just let her go strait for the front gate. Then when she saw him at the very far end of the yard (I have a pretty huge yard) she started screaming. He was out there with one of the workers and had a plantain in his mouth. She screamed as if he were chasing her down. She tried to explain by saying that she is allergic and that if he bit her she'd have to go for a vaccine at the hospital but being in my 3rd trimester I wasn't very understanding. I just have no patience for it these days. Maybe a non-preggo me would have been sympathetic, maybe not though, it was all so silly. At least it gave the workers a good laugh...

Momma to DS (2/08) and #2 due 10/11.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page