Breech - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-26-2011, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So, I'm sitting here with a bag of frozen veg on my belly...today's ultrasound showed we're still breech at 32 wks.  Her sister didn't turn until 35 or 36 weeks...but....yeah, I'm worrying about it already.  Especially because they said she was measuring a little large.  I want her to have room to turn!

Anyone else?  What are you going to try?

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2011, 01:31 AM

Our baby was breech at our last appt. two weeks ago, after being head-down previously. I've been doing inversions (look at the spinning babies website) and taking homeopathic Pulsatilla 30C in addition to visualizing the baby head-down and massaging it/encouraging it to turn. From what I've read, doing a breech tilt (elevating hips higher than your head) is also good, as is drinking tons of fluids so that baby has plenty of room to turn. Acupuncture with moxibustion is supposed to work best around 34 weeks, and there is always chiropractic too.

We have another appt. tomorrow, so we'll see if baby has flipped! If not, I'll get a bit more serious with the turning measures!

Happily parenting our snuggly wild child since 2007 and her little brother since 2011!

Old 08-27-2011, 07:02 AM

I'm getting worried b/c for the life of me I can't tell where this baby is. Last night I felt something super hard up top... could be the butt too, right? I have an appt the Tuesday after Labor Day so going to ask MW where the baby is and have her give me a brush-up on how the heck to feel what is what. Both my others were head down and you could tell.... I could feel the head. I wish I could figure this out b/c I am starting to feel a little nervous about it. Sigh. I will try to stay relaxed about it until I have my next appt (33 weeks).

dissertating mom to three

Old 08-27-2011, 07:05 AM

At my last appointment (32 weeks) this little guy was transverse. The doc didn't seem at all phased, but I was much more concerned about transverse than about breech position (according to everything I've read, the odds of the baby flipping are much better with breech). I started doing inversions daily, and I think he flipped after about a week. I have another appointment on Tuesday and I'm curious to find out if he is head down now. I've felt a fair bit of pressure in my pelvic area, so I'm fairly optimistic. 

~Iris~ Catholic mama to DD1 11/15/05 * DD2 04/28/08 * brokenheart.gif06/23/2010 * and our little rainbow DS 10/07/11 love.gif

Old 08-27-2011, 10:14 AM
~pi

Both of mine were breech (confirmed by u/s) until 30-34 weeks, and then turned head down. I think that's relatively normal? (Not sure.) DS stayed there; we'll see about this one, but he doesn't have much room left to move, so it would be strange for him to flip back at this point.

I don't know if this was a factor, but I drink a ton of ice water in general, and it's my absolute favourite thing when pregnant. Both pregnancies, the baby moves like crazy when my stomach is full of icy liquid. Again, I have no idea if this is true, but I suspect it may have encouraged them slightly to decide that they'd rather freeze their bums than their heads. I also spend time on hands and knees stretching (great for my back, I find) and this pregnancy I am swimming a lot, which I do for exercise and because I love it, but I also understand it encourages the babe to be in a good position. Last week, the babe was wedged in in a way that did not feel right (very uncomfortably up in my ribs/lungs), but I went for a swim that night and after an hour of front crawl, he was back in a more comfortable position.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

Old 08-27-2011, 10:19 AM

At my last midwife appointment on Tuesday (31 weeks) she couldn't really tell where he was. She wasn't too worried about it, said she doesn't get concerned until about 35 weeks. I'm worried about him being breech or transverse though. Where do you put the frozen veggies on your belly to get him head down? Can't hurt, right? lol

Chelsea, loving mama to Landon, born 11/3

Old 08-27-2011, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeclipse View Post

At my last midwife appointment on Tuesday (31 weeks) she couldn't really tell where he was. She wasn't too worried about it, said she doesn't get concerned until about 35 weeks. I'm worried about him being breech or transverse though. Where do you put the frozen veggies on your belly to get him head down? Can't hurt, right? lol

Haha, exactly my thinking!  If you put it at the top of your belly the baby will try and get their head/chest away from the cold and flip down.  She definitely didn't like the cold and started moving and squirming almost immediately when I put it on.  I felt some big movements but I don't think she turned all the way.  I'm going to try again tonight (when she is most awake) and add a flashlight at the bottom of the belly - attracted by light + moving away from cold...maybe it will work...poor little baby will be confused lol.gif

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

Old 08-27-2011, 01:43 PM

My babe is also breech at 34 weeks. I have done some inversions from the spinning babies site, as well as some somersaults in a swimming pool. I keep thinking that I am still feeling her head under my left ribs, but maybe I am wrong. I am having a heck of a time palpating because I also have an anterior placenta :/

Randi Sue, proud mama to 3 girls, Solstice (11/04), Luna (3/06), and Daphne Blue (2/09). Married to Sol for almost 7 years(!) I'm.... moderately crunchy.
Old 08-27-2011, 02:19 PM

My doctor told me at my appt Thursday (31w5d) that she thought my little one might be breech. I feel like s/he has moved since then, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how exactly she is positioned. I have a lump under my ribs on the right, and feel kicks/punches everywhere else...pretty sure baby is actually an octopus. I'll be seeing a chiropractor (trained in Webster) starting Monday (was planning to do so anyway) and am reading spinning babies. Doc plans to check position at my next visit via u/s if baby still feels breech to her. I may be trying the frozen veggie trick soon.

Wife to my hubby and SAHM to two boys -  DS1 (2) and DS2 (newborn).  Forever missing our three angels in Heaven. 

Old 08-27-2011, 04:23 PM

My little guy is breech right now too. My doctor is a little concerned about the size of his head as well (my other two kids had rather large heads too) so we're going for a biophysical profile in a couple weeks.

partners.gif Married to an awesome dh for 5 years. energy.gifSweetpea, our honeymoon baby! (06/07), biggrinbounce.gif Little man (04/09), and rolleyes.gif our newest little guy (10/11).

Old 08-27-2011, 06:58 PM

somehow that flashlight idea keeps half cracking me up...

dissertating mom to three

Old 08-27-2011, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My first was breech till 36.

This one was vertex, flipped to transverse at some point (definitely was at 32 weeks), then flipped back to vertex by 34. I don't think he's turned again since. Not that it matters because i will probably not go into labor before I need to deliver... but if I did, I don't want an emergency CS!

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

Old 08-29-2011, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

I'm getting really tired of the feet tap dancing on my cervix.  Baby and I have another date with the frozen veg and flashlight tonight!!

Old 08-29-2011, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)

with dd1 I was transverse for a while (this one seems to like sideways at 34 weeks too), then breech at 35 and then sometime after that turned to head down.  The docs thought breech through palpation...then I did my own internal exam in the shower (sometime around 36-37 weeks?) and felt what was very round and hard.  Ultrasound then confirmed head down.

Check out http://spinningbabies.com/baby-positions/belly-mapping

I've also read that moxibustion (sp?) is one of the most successful evidence-based ways of turning a breech baby.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:02 AM

My doctor thinks this baby is breech from palpating, but I have an anterior placent which apparantly can make it harder to tell. I've tried belly mapping, but the movements up high seem to match the lower ones, so it's hard to tell. The big bump on the left of my belly could be head or bum, sigh.

I'm seeing a chiro trained in Webster technique (to make sure the base of the uterus is relaxed enough for baby to turn down there I believe) next Friday. I don't want to do inversions until I'm sure of baby's position.

Amy, mom to E superhero.gifsince April 2008 and C babyboy.gif since October 2011, wife to P since September 2006.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:29 AM

Had my 35 week appointment this morning, and little dude is breech. eyesroll.gif Oh well. I read somewhere that only 4 % of babies stay breech right up until birth, so I am not going to worry about it too much just yet. I would really really like to avoid a c-section, but frankly, giving birth vaginally to a breech babe scares me something awful. I've read one too many horror stories. 

~Iris~ Catholic mama to DD1 11/15/05 * DD2 04/28/08 * brokenheart.gif06/23/2010 * and our little rainbow DS 10/07/11 love.gif

Old 08-31-2011, 11:30 AM

*waves* so glad to see this thread!  I saw the MW last night, and she suggested an ultrasound just to confirm he's head down.  She wasn't certain and she generally is opposed to U/S.  Hoping for the best!

Loving wife to a wonderful and Godly man, hug.gif  and SAHM to two beautiful boys, DS1, natural hospital birth (2/2010) and DS2, beautiful homebirth (10/2011) cd.gifnursex2.gif

Old 08-31-2011, 11:48 AM

I had my 33 week appt. over the weekend and my baby has turned vertex! The little one was breech at 31 weeks, so I'm hoping he/she stays head down from now on. If it was still breech then I was going to take more proactive measures like getting acupuncture with moxibustion and going to the chiropractor. I might even have ended up trying to do handstands in a swimming pool. As it is, baby either flipped all on its own, or liked the homeopathy, inversions, cat/cow postures, or all the walking around on hands and knees that I did in the those two weeks.

From what I've read, trying to get them to flip before 37 weeks is a good idea, since as time goes by they just get bigger and there is less room for turning. There are so many things you can do that are non-invasive and many of them are free and not too time-consuming, it makes sense to try them out!

Happily parenting our snuggly wild child since 2007 and her little brother since 2011!

Old 09-01-2011, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter

Had an appointment yesterday at 32 wks and my doctor wasn't concerned yet - she said she would check at 36 weeks, including an internal exam if need be, to make sure.  And if she can't tell she will send me for another ultrasound (I have an anterior placenta, so it's hard to palpate sometimes)

I am feeling more relaxed about it because last night it was very clear that she was head down again - there were definite kicks up high.  So, either she will settle there or at least has the room left to flip back and forth for awhile yet.  If she settles back into what feels like breech again in the next few weeks I will go back to the frozen veg etc ;)

Old 09-01-2011, 08:38 AM

DH was feeling where the doctor thinks the head is, and said "that's too pointy to be a head" - so hopefully it's actually the bum and a heel he was feeling up top smile.gif We'll see what the doc says tomorrow morning!

Amy, mom to E superhero.gifsince April 2008 and C babyboy.gif since October 2011, wife to P since September 2006.

Old 09-04-2011, 09:41 AM

Hi All...

So, last wednesday, (35 weeks 2 days) my mw did a homevisit, and we discovered that although baby has been vertex for the past month...she is now breech. I told her I wasn't worried, because it was my 4th baby and honestly, there's still lots of room in my previously-enjoyed uterus...

But here I am, starting week 36 tomorrow, and I can't make heads or tails (teehee) of this baby's position! Having a breech baby here changes things a bit, and it makes me really really nervous-but I am trying to do some of the things recommended to help her turn...

I have a balance disorder, so I can't flip upside-down, but I have put clothes pins on my pinky-toes, talked to the baby, visualized her turning, and asked the chiro to do the Webster technique. I have another appointment on Thursday this week, so we'll see!

All 3 of my previous babies have arrived early, so I'm hoping she goes head-down soon!

:)

Mother of reading.gif, REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifjammin.gif and babyf.gifborn Oct. 5th after angel.gif  angel.gif angel.gif. Social Media Manager and writer by day, Bloomin' Belly Soap maker by night.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:26 PM

I did lots of things to help encourage baby to turn, and SHE DID! We have a vertex baby, with head engaged.:) YEA!

Mother of reading.gif, REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifjammin.gif and babyf.gifborn Oct. 5th after angel.gif  angel.gif angel.gif. Social Media Manager and writer by day, Bloomin' Belly Soap maker by night.

Old 09-09-2011, 03:04 PM

I'm pretty sure ours has flipped as well (yay, Webster Technique!). I have a really hard time figuring out how s/he is positioned...I feel movement all over, and I have some extra belly fat, so it's hard to feel from the outside. It doesn't help that s/he spends half her time posterior. S/he definitely isn't engaged yet, but we have several weeks to go, so I'm not too worried. I just hope baby won't decide to flip back.

Wife to my hubby and SAHM to two boys -  DS1 (2) and DS2 (newborn).  Forever missing our three angels in Heaven. 

Old 09-14-2011, 01:25 PM

I saw the chiro I chose for the first time last Friday. She adjusted me for my SPD pain (wow did that ever do the trick!), but she also palpated to try and figure out baby's position. She concurred with my doctor's assessment that his head was in the upper left of my belly. She did two little adjustments on some ligaments on my belly.

Today she felt those ligaments and remarked on how much looser they are. Then she palpated and felt that baby was head down! Now we're both anxious to see if my doctor concurs with this assessment when I see her Friday morning. Please please please!

I've been trying to belly map I really can't tell the difference between kicks and punches, I'm just driving myself crazy instead and my anxiety is spiraling.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:31 PM

Yay for being head down! I hope your doctor will confirm on Friday.

I know exactly what you mean about the belly mapping! Every time this little dude goes nuts with movement for a while, I worry that he managed to turn back to head-up position, or transverse. I have an anterior placenta, and I have a really hard time figuring out which part of him is where. Doc confirmed yesterday he is still head down, although not engaged yet, so so far, so good.. 

User Tag List