Chat Thread: 8/28 - 9/3 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 142 Old 08-31-2011, 01:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Jumping in late this week...has been a pretty stressful, busy week. I don't have the time or energy to respond to individual posts, but I've been thinking of you all and hope you are all healthy and happy and babies are all baking nicely!

Been kind of a hard week here...DH has been sick since last Tuesday night, and turns out he has pneumonia. The poor guy is VERY rarely sick and is super active, so it's been really hard for him to miss work and just stay home and rest (I was so upset with him last Thursday when I got home from work and discovered that instead of resting, he had gone and weeded the whole garden AND messed up his back, so of course he had a nasty relapse...I'm going to have to beat him if I get home today and find him outside chopping firewood or something!). Luckily he no longer has a fever during the day (his temperature is still spiking at night, but not too badly), he's just really tired and has the most vicious cough I've ever heard...but he says he feels much better other than the cough, so I'm hoping the illness has mostly run its course. I've been sick myself, but luckily it's just an icky cold so I only missed a day and a half of work and have been able to take care of hubby instead of both of us being incapacitated.

And I just realized I'm full term in three weeks, and still have not even come close to getting my "pre-baby list" done. Yikes! I am still having a hard time even wrapping my head around the fact that in less than a month I may not be pregnant anymore, and instead will have a brand new squirmy hungry lovely baby in my arms.  

Head over heels for DHjoy.gif bonus mama to super sweet DSS (10/9)superhero.gif and mama to DD (10/11)loveeyes.gif! nocirc.gif  sewmachine.gif  goorganic.jpg

#62 of 142 Old 08-31-2011, 02:58 PM

It was the new heart 2 heart and I paid $15. It is the cream colored one. It looks super comfortable.

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#63 of 142 Old 08-31-2011, 04:09 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

I need to ask a tmi question. I have just confirmed via mirror that I have varicose veins on my labia. But when I was looking, the whole vagina looked pretty wide open and everything seemed really smooshed and "right there" looking. Is that ok or normal?

Making a March 9th sandwich with a Halloween filling.
#64 of 142 Old 08-31-2011, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Rosemary, I have no idea, but now I have a date with my hand mirror when I get home...

Alaskan Wife and Mama to my special little guy ribbluyel.gif (9/13/11) and expecting #2 (2/21/13)!

#65 of 142 Old 08-31-2011, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryS-F View Post

I need to ask a tmi question. I have just confirmed via mirror that I have varicose veins on my labia. But when I was looking, the whole vagina looked pretty wide open and everything seemed really smooshed and "right there" looking. Is that ok or normal?

Unfortunately, I have varicose veins on my labia too. It sucks. On days when the pressure is just too much I lie down with an ice pack! I'd say everything is looking a bit crazy with my vagina lately!

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#66 of 142 Old 08-31-2011, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryS-F View Post

This is like, my worst nightmare after my MIL felt the need to share her experience with a v.v. so large that the doctor was afraid to touch it because it looked like it might burst.

bigeyes.gif

Moving on....When you say thing look really smooshed and right there...do you mean like.....internally?  I need to go get a mirror now...

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

#67 of 142 Old 08-31-2011, 05:35 PM

Okay, that was officially the most I've contorted in months. Involved floor, a shop lamp and a magnifying mirror. But I see what you mean by open. I'm going to guess normal since I don't feel any discomfort and there's nothing particularly abnormal about the discharge (talk about TMI!) I did find this site that talks a lot about swelling:

http://www.franklypregnant.com/askarchives69.html

And on another note, I had an ultrasound this morning and sprog has grown quite a bit. Last US at 25W3D it was in the 13th percentile. Now at 32W1D we're up to 60th. I'm hoping growing slows down some as a gigantic baby scares me! Other than that, everything is looking great and the US tech even noted sprog has a "cute profile."

#68 of 142 Old 08-31-2011, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKChix0r View Post

Rosemary, I have no idea, but now I have a date with my hand mirror when I get home...

I was just going to post "now how many of us are going to be contorting ourselves tonight to try and see this...." LOL!

lifeguard likes this.

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#69 of 142 Old 08-31-2011, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephandOwen View Post

I was just going to post "now how many of us are going to be contorting ourselves tonight to try and see this...." LOL!

I probably would have been better off just asking spouse if everything look okay. You know, if he happened to be looking.

#70 of 142 Old 08-31-2011, 06:52 PM

Yep, it all swells up and gets opened looking in the process (generally, lots of exceptions, of course). It's part of the making new skin process to you can give birth without tearing. It goes away post partum. Gets kinda moooshy too. And loses some sensation abilities - ie, an exam close to labor is less painful than one far from labor. Exams in labor are painful for other reasons.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#71 of 142 Old 08-31-2011, 06:53 PM

Not safe
#72 of 142 Old 08-31-2011, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

labruja - I hope dh feels better soon.

The swelling thing. I don't think I have actual varicose veins but I haven't looked but I can tell by feel that things are crazy swollen down there & have been for weeks. Some days things get so "engorged" (for lack of a better word) that everything just aches. Ice would be lovely but as I have cold uticaria the ice is out of the question for me. I don't recall this with ds but I think it's pretty normal.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#73 of 142 Old 08-31-2011, 07:00 PM

I'd been noticing some extra pressure down there, and Rosemary's comment prompted me to get out the mirror. I don't recognize my vagina. It's swollen and much more open than I'm  used to. More swollen on one side. Doesn't really want to be touched either, but otherwise I'm not really uncomfortable. I too would be wondering if it was normal if I hadn't seen these comments first. I'm assuming this is just due to the extra blood flow to the region. Anyone know if it stays like that through birth? It seems like all that swelling wouldn't be good during pushing.

#74 of 142 Old 08-31-2011, 07:29 PM

I am experiencing the swollenness as well and think I have v v down there too as i can feel them when I wipe. This pg is so weird for me as I have never experienced that discomfort before. It has been obviously swollen for about 6 wks and that just isn't what I have experienced in the past.

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#75 of 142 Old 09-01-2011, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane View Post

Yep, it all swells up and gets opened looking in the process (generally, lots of exceptions, of course). It's part of the making new skin process to you can give birth without tearing. It goes away post partum. Gets kinda moooshy too. And loses some sensation abilities - ie, an exam close to labor is less painful than one far from labor. Exams in labor are painful for other reasons.

Oooohhhkay!  Yeah....I definitely have been feeling some wierd "openness" and mooshyness, I just hadn't really thought about it much!  Now I definitely need to get the mirror out.  

This conversation has given me one of those moments of "holy.....we're having babies....SOON!"

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

#76 of 142 Old 09-01-2011, 05:35 AM

I'm laughing and relieved (though sorry for you all) to know that by far I am not alone and that this is "ok" (alright, if you ask me, it's NOT ok! What is that thing in the mirror?!?) Katico, I mean that when I looked in the mirror, it almost looked like I was going to need assistance to put everything back inside me if there was any more pressure down there. Intense. whistling.gif

Veronika, I have no advice regarding the embassy stuff, but I really hope you get the protection you obviously need. And that the garden gets cleaned up. Yikes.

#77 of 142 Old 09-01-2011, 05:40 AM

yep... swelling/pressure here too (haven't looked, but can just feel it). And I am  having what I assume are (mild) hemorrhoids (I had to look up how to spell that!). Don't recall this with either of my previous pregnancies. But I have noticed, things seem to get more uncomfortable each time. B/c I am older? B/c my poor body is getting worn down? Though my gestational diabetes seems to be nonexistent this time... I assumed it would get more severe with each preg but I guess this placenta is a more mom-friendly one.

Teruterubozu: baby size measures: don't take them too seriously. Or, look at the error range that they list. its HUGE. Like a couple of lbs in each direction. Baby could really be 40 percentile the whole time and you just got the 13 and 60 measures due to the error ranges.

Veronika: that sounds just awful. I hope that things calm down there. You have a lot of physical distance between you and family if I recall correctly? And yes, document, document. Probably won't matter but it certainly could help if you needed to show they are unstable and violent.

AFM: too busy!! I can't really keep up on here! I am behind in work and worried I just won't be able to catch up. Monday we head back to NYC, looking forward to it and dreading "real life" too. And dreading being full term. I am seriously considering applying for a job (sounds crazy, but since its an academic teaching job, it actually starts September 2012, application due October 15 so I'd want to get my materials in before I am full term, which is Oct 3). Its a long shot but seems actually possible... very, very good match for me... well, that is if my academic advisors support my application- a lot will depend on their recommendation letters (I need 3). Anyhow, I am not going to tell too many people IRL about this, nice to have a place to share :)

dissertating mom to three

#78 of 142 Old 09-01-2011, 06:29 AM

Not safe anymore
#79 of 142 Old 09-01-2011, 07:23 AM

Just got back from the dr..... Sunburst is head down (yay!) but not engaged (no biggie). I have some swelling (hands, feet, legs) that's not going away at night anymore (boo) but my bp and urine both look good so we'll just cross our fingers and hope it stays that way. Don't need to go back for 2 more weeks. Yippee!

Veronika- I feel a lot of movements all across the top and sides of my belly. Sunburst is head down so I feel his butt across the top of my belly (it switches sides constantly, all day long) and feet and arms everywhere along the sides. I don't feel too much movement down low, except when he twists his head to one side it pushes on that one hip. But other than that, most of the movement is up high and along the sides.

And here's a funny conversation that the dr and I had....

Dr- How big was your last son?

Me- 8lb14oz at 39 weeks.

Dr- Okay. And do you know how long you pushed for?

(Funny he asked this because just last week I was looking at my records from that hospital to get some other info and found that answer)

Me- 12 minutes.

Dr- You pushed a 9lb baby out in 12 minutes?

Me- Yup.

Dr- Good for me to know now.... There will be no coffee breaks for me when you're nearing 8 or 9 cm in labor

lol.gif

With ds the midwife didn't make it in time and the back-up OB barely made it in time. The nurses didn't believe me that he was coming out because they had just checked me and I was at 7cm. Not even 10 minutes later I was telling them to please get the dr there. They didn't believe me (I had an epidural so they thought I was just being paranoid) until they lifted up the blanket and took a peek and he was RIGHT THERE. Then there was a mad dash to get the dr back (small town hospital- the dr/midwife don't stay at the hospital during the day, they are at their office just 5 minutes down the road so the nurses call one of them to come when it's time for a woman to push).

This has me slightly nervous because our plan is to stay at home as long as possible, but on the flip side I don't want to be delivering a baby in the car on the side of the road! LOL! I'm not sure how I'm going to balance my desire to stay home with getting to the hospital before the baby is born. DH wants me to go to the hospital much earlier than I want to also, because he's terrified we'll accidentally wait too long.

#80 of 142 Old 09-01-2011, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephandOwen View Post

With ds the midwife didn't make it in time and the back-up OB barely made it in time. The nurses didn't believe me that he was coming out because they had just checked me and I was at 7cm. Not even 10 minutes later I was telling them to please get the dr there. They didn't believe me (I had an epidural so they thought I was just being paranoid) until they lifted up the blanket and took a peek and he was RIGHT THERE. Then there was a mad dash to get the dr back (small town hospital- the dr/midwife don't stay at the hospital during the day, they are at their office just 5 minutes down the road so the nurses call one of them to come when it's time for a woman to push).

Love this!  When DD was born I had a induction (boo) and dilation took what felt like FOREVER.....hours and hours with hardly any change.  So I had an epidural.  And then suddenly, I was like...uh....people...I need to push!  They totally dismissed me as not knowing what I was talking about lol.gif  However, when they finally checked, they realized I had gone from 6cm to 10cm in less than an hour and yeah, she was ready to get out of there!  I pushed for 25 minutes (very relaxed pushing too, I'm sure I could have gotten her out much faster!) and my doctor was rushing in at the last second, trying to get herself gowned, because she was used to 1st time mothers taking so long to actually push!  Ha!  

It's funny because I was so worried about the pushing phase - I was sure I just couldn't do it, and that it would take hours!   Now I'm hoping to avoid an induction, dilate naturally and hopefully quicker, and now I have no fear of the pushing at all - easy peasy ;)

Steph - how far from the hospital are you?

#81 of 142 Old 09-01-2011, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter

Is anyone else getting the feeling from their body that this is about to happen - and soon? My hips are spreading, Thrasher is WAY low (cue waddling), and I'm having way more BH than ever before. I can't imagine 5.5 more weeks of this. I'm just hoping I make it to 37 weeks - no hospital that way, and DH will be home from his final hunting trip.

Alaskan Wife and Mama to my special little guy ribbluyel.gif (9/13/11) and expecting #2 (2/21/13)!

#82 of 142 Old 09-01-2011, 09:36 AM

Add me to the engorged, swelling down there feeling. Debating looking in the mirror tonight...

Mama to DS (03/09) and DD (10/11) and married to the love of my life

#83 of 142 Old 09-01-2011, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katico View Post

Steph - how far from the hospital are you?

I was induced last time too. Hoping to avoid all of that, labor at home until the last minute, walk into the hospital and push the baby out in under an hour from when I walk in that door. I can dream, right? LOL!

In perfect traffic I'm about 10-15 minutes away from the hospital. As long as I'm not ready to push during rush hour, we should be good!

#84 of 142 Old 09-01-2011, 11:20 AM

Hmm...was all decided to go home and dig the hand mirror out of the homebirth kit I just got, but on second thought, judging by the way it feels down there I'm not sure I even want to know what it LOOKS like.

Head over heels for DHjoy.gif bonus mama to super sweet DSS (10/9)superhero.gif and mama to DD (10/11)loveeyes.gif! nocirc.gif  sewmachine.gif  goorganic.jpg

#85 of 142 Old 09-01-2011, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Ugh. After telling my mom that three weeks was not enough time to plan a shower, especially when I'm too busy and too pregnant to drive home for one, she sends me a text that there will be a shower for me on the 10th - they just decided. DH will be out of town so I'll have to drive my 36w pregnant wide-load 2.5 hours on the deadliest highway in the state that lacks cell coverage on half of it. Not to mention this is just two days after the shower that some women at work planned and the fact that I pretty much hate being the center of attention around people I'm not comfortable with... This just isn't looking good. I really appreciate everyone wanting to do something, but I'd much prefer advice, help, and support then having people watch me open stuff and probably talk about how terrible birth is...

I probably sound totally ungrateful, but I needed to vent. I don't really have any close female friends, so both showers are going to be kind of awkward and uncomfortable, with people that are all about epidurals and formula and are going to be shocked I'm "going natural." I just don't know how this will end up. I hope I'm wrong...

#86 of 142 Old 09-01-2011, 11:40 AM

I also will be having a date with a hand mirror this evening, I think.  I will say that...and this is just me and very possibly different for different women...I think I've been more "open" ever since I gave birth to DS.  I don't know if it just has to do with the stretching that occurred during delivery...or the few tears I had...  DH says he has not noticed things being more "roomy" during intercourse, which is good.  But (this may be tmi...or just funny) ever since I gave birth there are times when I'm walking or moving around in bed when I can actually hear a sound like the two sides of  the labia smacking together or something.  Weird.

Steph - I totally understand the wanting to labor at home for as long as possible thing, but when the time comes you may want to be a little more conservative.  My pushing with #1 was way longer than yours (4 hours vs 12 minutes), but the first part of labor went so fast that my midwives are advising I leave the house when I'm about 7-8 minutes apart (it's a 25-45 min. drive, depending on time of day).

Teacher until birth of DS (7-27-08)blowkiss.gifand now DD (10-17-11)femalesling.GIF:, now SAHM, wife to my wonderful hard-working DH.   cd.gifnocirc.gifselectivevax.gif

#87 of 142 Old 09-01-2011, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I like hearing about short pushing phases - gives me hope I don't have to go through another 2.5 hours of unproductive pushing again. Sigh. That is my biggest worry I think. That & timing to leave for the hospital. I am hoping to avoid induction & then be able to labour at home as long as possible but the drive to the hospital is 45 minutes so we can't leave too late. Hopefully I'll just know when it's the right time.

not_telling - I have the same experience with things. I tore pretty terribly & things healed really well but it does not look the same.

karli - wow - that does not sound like fun. Is it possible for a friend or even a co-worker to go along with you for the ride? Even if they don't want to go to the shower but just hang out while you go? I would be nervous going that far so far along without cell phone coverage.

This morning I had an ob appt & he was super pleased with my blood sugar numbers. Super pleased. Made me feel good - last time the gd was nothing but stress, stress, stress. This also means he doesn't want to see me for 2 weeks instead of 1 week which is never a bad thing. This aft I have an u/s though just to check size - I know it's not super reliable but I am still curious to see what the estimate is at this point.

Before I left this morning I went downstairs to do laundry to find water EVERYWHERE. Investigating quickly & it looks like the a/c is leaking (no biggie - we don't really need it much now) & the bathtub (potentially a BIG deal). Sigh. I really don't want a big reno task right now.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#88 of 142 Old 09-01-2011, 12:23 PM

Karli, that sounds pretty stressful. Vent away.

Lifeguard, I hope it is not the bathtub. We had that once and it was a near catastrophe.

Steph, I wish I could do that labor at home until the last minute too. My friend did that last year and her son was born in the toilet. I am having second thoughts! But my last labor was incredibly long, and if I'd gone any sooner, I would have had some crazy interventions. It's such a gamble.

#89 of 142 Old 09-01-2011, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKChix0r View Post

Ugh. After telling my mom that three weeks was not enough time to plan a shower, especially when I'm too busy and too pregnant to drive home for one, she sends me a text that there will be a shower for me on the 10th - they just decided. DH will be out of town so I'll have to drive my 36w pregnant wide-load 2.5 hours on the deadliest highway in the state that lacks cell coverage on half of it. Not to mention this is just two days after the shower that some women at work planned and the fact that I pretty much hate being the center of attention around people I'm not comfortable with... This just isn't looking good. I really appreciate everyone wanting to do something, but I'd much prefer advice, help, and support then having people watch me open stuff and probably talk about how terrible birth is...

I probably sound totally ungrateful, but I needed to vent. I don't really have any close female friends, so both showers are going to be kind of awkward and uncomfortable, with people that are all about epidurals and formula and are going to be shocked I'm "going natural." I just don't know how this will end up. I hope I'm wrong...

Ugh,  Showers.  I totally get it.  A good friend held me a small shower for close friends and that was nice and low key (but still uncomfortable because I hate being the center of attention, too).  Then my mother throws one.  Ugh.  

When we got married, I insisted I did not want a shower.  Under no circumstances was she to throw me a shower.  So, we are driving home for what is supposed to be a family BBQ, running late but that's okay because it was a casual thing, right?  Wrong.  We show up late to find a very formal shower, complete with every female family member sitting and WAITING in the living room, because it was a "surprise" and we were late.  Mortifying?  Yes.  Angry me? Oohhh, yes.  So typical of my mother.   

So when it came to baby shower time, I just said "FINE.  I don't care.  Just TELL ME ABOUT IT"  So, out we go, and yep, it was awkward.  And there were people there I hardly even knew.  And I got a whole bunch of stuff I didn't need.  And got very old school advice and horror stories.  Fun, fun.

Honestly?  If I had to drive myself at 36 weeks on a bad highway, that far, without cell coverage?  I wouldn't be going.  Period.  And if this was really about you, she wouldn't ask you to make that trip alone.  

#90 of 142 Old 09-01-2011, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Karli ... I say that you should enlist a personal driver.  That's a lot of risk factors (no cell coverage, rotten highway, 36 weeks prego) especially when you add in that you're thinking this baby is coming sooner than later.  Tell your mom a bold-faced lie, that your doc doesn't want you making that trip for the various reasons.  Tell her that you'll be happy to attend, so long as someone (who is a good driver, might I add) can come get you and bring you home. 

AFM:  Just got back from the midwife.  My bp was way up (for me) at 120/85.  Last time it was 95/60.  And I'm measuring 38 weeks, and not 34, and baby's head is nearly engaged.  So the midwife is ordering another blood panel and requesting an ultrasound.  Meh.  We'll see what happens.  Five more points up on the diastolic and they'd be calling it pre-e for sure, depending on what the blood panel says.  I've seen floaters a couple of times since my last mw appointment too.  Crap. Fingers crossed!  I have a feeling that my dream homebirth is slowly getting rubbed out of existence.  Sigh.  Oh to be such an advocate for it, yet not manage to have my own.  Lame.

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page