Chat Thread: 8/28 - 9/3 - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-01-2011, 03:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Karli: I agree, don't go unless you can get someone to go with you. We both know that it could be snowing by then too! I don't like all those risks!

Starling: Crap! Not what you wanted to hear I'm sure. I hope things calm down and your little guy gets more time to cook! I'm so sorry about the homebirth... maybe you can still do it- its not over yet! Crossing fingers!

I'm having a hard time believing baby will be here next month! Can  you believe that we can say that babies are due next month now! That is pure craziness! I'm so excited but have a lot of things to get settled in the house before I will feel relaxed and ready to bring her home. Time to get busy checking things off those lists!!! I'm really glad for the long weekend- although if the weather isn't terrible DH is going to spend one of the days hunting. It would actually be great if he were to get a deer, we need the meat for the freezer.

I must have done something weird last night while I was doing yoga. I didn't feel anything at the time but I woke up feeling like a pulled a muscle in my left butt cheek! Lovely! I told DH as soon as he gets home from work I need a butt massage! :)

Nap time for DD and hypnobabies time for me... take care!

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2011, 03:52 PM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Oh, Sue, that's actually crazy to think of--they'll be born next month. Whoa.

Starling, I really hope things will still work out.

Making a March 9th sandwich with a Halloween filling.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:01 PM

My BP has been creeping up too, to borderline highish (130s over 80s).  I'm not sure what I can do about that.  Should I cut back on salt or something?  I need salt for my hydration and stuff.  I always mean to try walking more, but I've got a sore pubic bone and now an incredible waddle and it's 100 degrees outside, and that really messes with my hydration too.  I monitor my BP at home and it's been at this pre-hypertensive level for a couple weeks, so hopefully it's stable.

About road trips:  We're planning to go to Minneapolis for a weekend starting Sept. 8th when I will be almost 36 weeks.  It's a 5 hours drive each way.  We went to Chicago this week (3 hours drive + 1.5 hours on train) and I handled the drive okay but really wore myself out walking around.  In Minne we'll be visiting friends so it should be less exhausting, hopefully, although I expect my sleep will suffer.  The drive is longish but on a safe, familiar road with good cellphone coverage.  Would you go for a weekend 5 hours away at 35 weeks 4 days?  Karli's situation has me questioning my own plans.  I thought I would do a little research on birth-friendly hospitals in Minne just in case.  

Also, definitely feeling extra juicy and plump in the crotch.  I should do an inspection.  

heartbeat.gif  Baby girl arrived 10/11/11 heartbeat.gif

Old 09-01-2011, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

yellowdart ... what was your baseline BP going into the pregnancy?  They're more concerned about a 30 point diastolic jump from your baseline, combined with swelling, and liver and kidney irregularities.  As for salt and exercise, not sure that it'd make a big difference.  I don't eat much salt and I walk a lot everyday.  Pre-e is a dastardly mystery, really.  Good that you're keeping an eye on it though!

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
Old 09-01-2011, 04:33 PM

starling:  I can't remember exactly what my pre-preg BP was, but it was something similar to what it is now.  It was lower (110s over 70s) until a couple weeks ago, and that was so nice and healthy-seeming, I guess I was hoping it would last forever.  :D 

Old 09-01-2011, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

yellowdart - for travel I would do it. I just got back from a 12 hour each way trip. I figured worst case scenario I'd end up at the local hospital. Plus my friend is a paramedic - I wasn't concerned. Dh would have hopped in the car to join me as soon as I called. 36 weeks I would do, as long as I wasn't worried about any condition.

We had the u/s this aft. Ds was realllllly good which is funny 'cause he'd been a bear all afternoon for me. Baby is definitely a girl (I just keep finding that hard to believe) & she is measuring at 5lbs 5oz with a 14oz +/- putting her at the 59% which is good. Definitely no concern she is going to overly large. I swear the u/s technician at that hospital is the best & most professional I've ever dealt with. He is super personable too. He even remembers me from my last u/s - if only doctors had the same bedside manner!

We finally got bottles for the kittens but we're having a heck of a time getting them to actually suck on them. I'll do some more reading tonight & see if I can figure out some tricks but it took a LOT longer to feed them with the bottles than it has been with the syringes which was sort of disappointing.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

Old 09-01-2011, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowdart View Post

My BP has been creeping up too, to borderline highish (130s over 80s).  I'm not sure what I can do about that.  Should I cut back on salt or something?  I need salt for my hydration and stuff.  I always mean to try walking more, but I've got a sore pubic bone and now an incredible waddle and it's 100 degrees outside, and that really messes with my hydration too.  I monitor my BP at home and it's been at this pre-hypertensive level for a couple weeks, so hopefully it's stable.

My BP was up slightly on my second-last visit (and it had been a concern at the end of my last pregnancy), so my Doctor told me to take 500mg calcium 2x day, she said that usually is enough to nip it in the bud if it starts creeping up slowly.  It was back down to my normal range when I went in yesterday!

Last time, my naturopath actually told me not to worry about cutting out salt.  She said it would do more harm than good - that we need some!

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

Old 09-01-2011, 04:53 PM

I forgot to mention the really neat thing I saw with the u/s today. The technician asked me if I was having a contraction & I told him I really couldn't tell with the pressure from him pushing. At the end of the u/s he went back to that spot & said, yep it was a contraction he'd seen. I asked how he could tell & he pulled up the earlier picture so I could see a comparison of the spot from earlier. During the contraction you could very visibly see the uterine muscle contracted & without the contraction it was long & narrow. Similar to seeing someone flex a bicep (assuming they have some real definition). Very cool.

Old 09-01-2011, 05:39 PM

Quote:

About road trips:  We're planning to go to Minneapolis for a weekend starting Sept. 8th when I will be almost 36 weeks.  It's a 5 hours drive each way.  We went to Chicago this week (3 hours drive + 1.5 hours on train) and I handled the drive okay but really wore myself out walking around.  In Minne we'll be visiting friends so it should be less exhausting, hopefully, although I expect my sleep will suffer.  The drive is longish but on a safe, familiar road with good cellphone coverage.  Would you go for a weekend 5 hours away at 35 weeks 4 days?  Karli's situation has me questioning my own plans.  I thought I would do a little research on birth-friendly hospitals in Minne just in case.  

Also, definitely feeling extra juicy and plump in the crotch.  I should do an inspection.  

That sucks about the bp. I hope it stabilizes and doesn't cause you any more problems!

Road trips- we're going this weekend (34w2d when we leave) on a trip that's about 7 hours each way. We leave Friday and come back Sunday. But dh is coming with me this time so he can help with the driving. I talked to my dr about it today and he said it was fine, but no more traveling after 36 weeks. So in your situation (almost 36 weeks, 5 hour drive each way) I would do it, only if someone else was coming to help with the drive. I wouldn't want to go alone though.

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

Old 09-02-2011, 08:07 AM

pushing: my first (8lbs6oz) about 20 minutes, minor shoulder dystocia, minor tear (some stitches).

my second (9lbs)... I don't know? 5 minutes? 3 minutes? It was 3 pushes-- one she started crowning, 2 her head was out, 3 her body. No tearing. My experience with her was more trying to "hold back" b/c it was going so quickly.

I didn't do "directed" pushing with either, in fact, did not have a cervical check to see if was "really" dilated. Both times I just followed my urge to push. I also labored in an upright or supported upright position (like a very well supported "childs pose" at the end with my first), which might have helped?

dissertating mom to three

Old 09-02-2011, 08:58 AM

Starling and yellowdart - I really hope things work out on the BP!

karli - No way I would make the drive. I just cannot be in a car that long at that stage of pregnancy, alone, driving. I would make your mom come get you and take you back. I opted out of a work meeting that was 2.5 hours away and up in the mountains next week (35 weeks) because I didn't feel up to driving that far alone. I hate driving for the record.

Mama to DS (03/09) and DD (10/11) and married to the love of my life

Old 09-02-2011, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

DH wants me to pay the $180 for a plane ticket (which is outrageous I'n my mind) because he didn't think about me being alone and not having cell coverage in the mountains for that long.

However, my mom is driving me crazy. This is all her attempt to smooth things over with me after she ticked me off last week. I live 150 miles from my hometown, and am expected to drive down every 2-4 weeks, and have done so since moving back to AK three years ago. In that time, my mom has came up here to see me THREE times - once to see me, once because my Grampa was I'n the hospital, and for Thrasher's ultrasound (and I had to beg). I sent her a message inviting her to come up to see our new house and go to the state fair with me, and she wrote back that she was already going to the fair in three days - no "what are you up to while I'm there" or "let's do x while I'm in town." Then she sent increasingly frantic text messages, unable to understand why I was upset.

Needless to say, she came up here, never met up with me or saw the new house, and had the audacity to ask me for directions to things around the city while she was here - one of which was the store across the street from my work. DH is pissed, and doesn't want to drive down there anymore if she can't even return the favor, and my mom slowly started to realize I'm upset. So I get this "your baby shower is Sept. 10th" text from her yesterday, followed by random texts through the day like, "How are you feeling?" and "I love you!" when she normally doesn't even respond to my texts or answer my calls. It's really annoying and hurtful. We used to be really close, and she's thinking that her first and only grandbaby is going to see her all the time?!?! I don't think so.

Alaskan Wife and Mama to my special little guy ribbluyel.gif (9/13/11) and expecting #2 (2/21/13)!

Old 09-02-2011, 09:45 AM

Karli- that does sound hurtful. I'm sorry greensad.gif I would feel the same way, and likely would refuse to drive up there anymore (or maybe just for special occasions, but certainly not every 2-4 weeks!). I would be tempted to send her back a text that says "My doctor has told me not to travel after 36 weeks so I won't be able to make it".... and let it go. Then the blame is on the dr (and hey- my dr did say no more traveling after 36 weeks so if you ask your dr he/she might say the same thing winky.gif ). The relationship needs to be a 2 way street- not you putting in all the effort and her doing nothing. Especially when you are going to have a new baby to care for.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:14 AM

Karli, you're in a real pickle. What does your gut tell you? I know I would not *want* to go at all, and would feel like somehow it was more for her than for me, however guilt or codependency might prompt me to go anyway, however grudgingly. Anyhow, that sounds really hard. :(

Old 09-02-2011, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

I'll probably figure out a way to go. My "cousin" (easiest way to explain our relationship) will be hosting it at her house, and she's someone I absolutely adore and miss terribly - I haven't seen her in a long time. I just really feel for my handful of friends that are getting invites. They will have less than a week's notice, my registry is online, most of them are struggling financially (which is why I didn't want to mess with this at all - don't want them to feel pressured), and a few are single with zero interest in anything "baby."

However, I have a midwife appointment today. I plan on asking about my travel restrictions. orngbiggrin.gif

Alaskan Wife and Mama to my special little guy ribbluyel.gif (9/13/11) and expecting #2 (2/21/13)!

Old 09-02-2011, 11:29 AM
~pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephandOwen View Post

I would be tempted to send her back a text that says "My doctor has told me not to travel after 36 weeks so I won't be able to make it".... and let it go.

I agree with this 100%. People will do this passive-aggressive stuff and assume you will go along with it because you keep going along with it. If you need things to change, that isn't going to happen by magic; you have to be willing to take a stand and then calmly, matter-of-factly enforce it. BTDT.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

Old 09-02-2011, 11:33 AM

Karli - that sucks.  I dunno what to tell you to do, since it can be hard to tell your mom off, especially if you want to maintain an okay relationship.  I hope she straightens out.

I'm lucky to have such a low-key mom.  We actually live next door to her, in her rental unit, which could have been a disaster for some families but works okay for us.  I'm so happy she gets to be a part of her grandbaby's life, and I plan to use her for childcare once I start going out on my own again in the winter/spring.  She had a terrible birth with me and was pretty open with the birth doom stories when I first got pregnant ("Birth plan?? HA!"), but we've talked about things since then and she's got a more positive attitude now, and realizes that her bad birth was due to a pretty rare malpositioning.  

My MIL has good birth stories but serious personal boundary issues.  She lives an ocean away, so it's not a big problem, but she was here for most of August.  She would grope my belly whenever the spirit moved her, sometimes as a complete surprise to me, sometimes touching my breasts in the process, insisting that she HAD to feel the baby move before she left.  She wasn't trying to be inappropriate or mean, I guess, she's just super excited about the baby, but HOLY COW LADY.  I wanted her to have a good time, and I knew she wouldn't be here forever, so I didn't tell her not to touch me.  irked.gif  But damn.  ALSO she made up an AWFUL nickname for the baby and then repeated it essentially all day every day ("How's my #$!#%!T#% today?!?!?!?!")  The nickname wasn't actually obscene but I hate it so much I don't want to type it out.  And I wanted to say it's not YOUR anything, but actually it is her grandbaby, so I guess she is entitled to feel a little proprietary, especially since she lives so far away and it won't be an issue in practical matters.    And she tried to tell me why I need to get a stroller ASAP and why I need a playpen to establish baby's personal space and why I need to expose the back of baby's head to sunlight (light penetrates the cerebellum and sets the internal clock, you see) and why I should hire a live-in nanny (!) and all this other stuff.  Again, she's excited, she likes babies, she thinks she knows stuff, she's trying to help, yadda yadda, so I can't be too mad about it, but I feel like she thinks I'm completely stupid for planning things the way I am.  

MIL is a sweet, well-intentioned lady in general and I care for her, but I'm glad I don't have to see her too much.  I really feel for you ladies who have problematic relationships with people you can't  easily send to another country.  I would have to be a lot more aggressive about boundaries if my MIL were local.  

Thanks for the BP advice and well-wishes.  Starling had a good point that it's not that much different now from what it was before - maybe a tad higher, but not way unprecedented.  I had heard that BP often goes up a bit at the end of pregnancy from a low around the start of the third trimester, so this maybe isn't that weird.  It makes me look forward to exercising and losing weight and getting things back in a good range once I can, though.  

Lastly my QOTD:  Is anyone else having weird jaw pain?  This just came up in the last couple days - it feels like my jaw doesn't line up quite right suddenly, and if I close it normally it's pretty sore.  I know this must be due just to loose joints all over my body, and it's probably a really normal thing, but it feels so weird!  It's especially bad in the morning when I get up, since I've been sleeping on the side of my face.  

Old 09-02-2011, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

yellowdart - YES. Well, not like you described, but close! I usually have some kind of TMJ thing where my jaw "pops" open and shut, but now it's like it isn't lining up right when I yawn or open wide. It feels like it is locking open and won't close right. I never would have thought to mention it here. God, pregnancy is weird.

Old 09-02-2011, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Totally!  I thought it was just me!  Must be all our ligaments becoming so loosy goosey.  Bizarre.

Quote:

Lastly my QOTD:  Is anyone else having weird jaw pain?  This just came up in the last couple days - it feels like my jaw doesn't line up quite right suddenly, and if I close it normally it's pretty sore.  I know this must be due just to loose joints all over my body, and it's probably a really normal thing, but it feels so weird!  It's especially bad in the morning when I get up, since I've been sleeping on the side of my face.  

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
Old 09-02-2011, 03:49 PM

On my mind...

1)  I kind of (ok, totally) hate my cat right now.  I love my cat.  He's a great cat.  But if he doesn't stop meowing and scratching and pooping and hacking things up (yknow, all those normal cat things...)....I might toss him out the front door.  I actually might.  I know it's totally just me.....but omg, one more noisy, messy "person" who needs me....I'm going to lose my mind

2) Are you all planning any holiday gifts for your new babies?  I made a felted teether and will probably sew some little crinkle taggies or something...but, I feel like I should come up with something for DD to give the baby - she is totally into the giving of gifts now and will notice if she doesn't have something for the baby.  Ideas?  Handmade would especially be great....or should I take her to the local natural diaper/toy store and let her pick something?  I'm also at a total loss of what to suggest to the grandparents who would be HORRIFIED at the thought of not giving the baby presents!

3) I'm starting to have some anxiety about the fact that this baby feels huge already and still has several weeks to get even bigger...and HAS TO COME OUT.  Yknow...OUT!  I'm trying to remember that it really wasn't such a big deal the first time, and that the aftermath was no big deal (I was lucky and healed really quickly)....but seriously???  She's going to come out????  Can I just hold off on that part for awhile?

I'm so hoping for a natural start to labour this time around - I had to be induced for BP concerns with DD and it was so disappointing.  And hellish.  I just so want to have all the normal stuff happen!

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

Old 09-02-2011, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katico View Post

On my mind...

1)  I kind of (ok, totally) hate my cat right now.  I love my cat.  He's a great cat.  But if he doesn't stop meowing and scratching and pooping and hacking things up (yknow, all those normal cat things...)....I might toss him out the front door.  I actually might.  I know it's totally just me.....but omg, one more noisy, messy "person" who needs me....I'm going to lose my mind

I feel that way about my dog...I especially felt that way about my dog when I came home from work yesterday and she had pooped all over her kennel and gotten it all over herself.  And then she wanted to cuddle.  *grumble*

Karli: That is a horrible position to get cornered in.  I'm sorry that you are having to deal with such a hassle at this point in the game.  I wouldn't want to drive either, and I really wouldn't want to fly down for that cost.  :(  I'd be hurt if my mom acted like that.

Social working mommy to babygirl.gif 10/10/11, three cats, and a dog.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:04 PM

No mother/motherinlaws here....it really sucks when someone who is so close (relation wise) is not 100% supportive - I wish there was a way to momentarily transfer feelings - just so they would know how they make you feel - I am positve that a hug would soon follow!!!

I am hoping that this last month or so will keep everyones sugars, bp and protiens in check!!

afm - we are still having car seat drama - we are going to take one last chance at getting 3 across in our 2004 crv tomorrow - a local store just opened that sells radians and is willing to let us try to fit them in our car before we buy them....whew!

Luckily we have another option - a used 2009 sienna LE 8 seater - it is lovely - power sliding doors and remote start....drool

so tomorrow it will be one or the other....

I soo want the minivan, but the extra money...ouch....dang husband shoulda just kept it in his pants....LOL

mom to ds '07 first day of a new year, dd '09 in the caul, and  ds '11 at home Oct 24th

Old 09-02-2011, 07:25 PM

Had a totally horrid day with DS today...well, really just from noon on.  I think I'm just at the end of my DH-not-being-here rope and DS is pushing ALL my buttons (cuz he's 3 and that's his job, apparently).  I've just been mad mad mad yelling yelling yelling.  It all started with him making a big mess on the dining room floor and rug with playdough (imagine playdough "confetti" all over the place) and then claiming he couldn't clean it up even after  I showed him that it's really easy to do by using a bigger piece of playdough to pick up the little bits.  Then peeing on the rug while he was (not) cleaning up the playdough even though I'd been asking him throughout the morning if he had to use the potty.  At naptime I skipped all the usual components (stories, songs, tickles, hugs) cuz I was just so frustrated with him.  By the end of his nap, I was feeling calm enough (I thought) to just start fresh with him when he woke up.  But then he woke up, came downstairs and tried to get on the couch with me in the worst possible way -- by climbing over the arm where half the arm was blocked by these big long boxes that had just arrived in the mail and the other half was my head and my nest of 4 pillows to I could be comfy.  I immediately lost it again.  And it all sounds so trivial and petty and idiotic.  And at bedtime just now he threw one of his stuffed animals right up at the butterfly mobile, which is somewhat delicate) above his bed so I took his mobile down to put it in my room and made a comment about how he keeps having things taken from his room because he's not treating them the right way, like his new nightlight.  So, while I was putting the mobile in my room he decided to intentionally knock his nightlight onto the floor.  It's this cool one from OXO where there's a sort of amoba-esque bunny-shaped light that charges on a stand during the day and then can be taken off the charging stand and put anywhere and stays lit for 8 hours.  Anyway, it's new and I've taken it out of his room three times already because he's not being careful with it (i.e. intentionally dropping/throwing it) and I don't want it to break.  The other nights that I took it away, I replaced it with his old nightlight (the standard plug-in you can buy anywhere).  Tonight I just took it without replacing it and made a snarky comment about how I hoped he enjoyed sleeping in a very dark room.  He's actually never really talked much about dark room fears and having the nightlight was all my idea...basically cuz there's always been one where he sleeps (the first two years he was in our room and we needed it for diaper changes, nursing, etc.)  So, again I left without any of my usual stories, songs, hugs, kisses, etc.  He's been lying there in the dark, quietly, for the last 25 minutes...although I just heard him come out of his room.

Sorry for the rant...and hope I'm not scraing anyone who's about to be a first-time mama.

I am so glad DH comes home Sunday.

ETA: So, Worst Mom of the Day so goes to me...He came out of his room and came up here to the third floor to tell me he couldn't go to sleep because the crickets are too loud...which is untrue because you can't hear the crickets at all in his room over the white noise of the a/c and fan and the music that's playing.  I said he needed to go back to his room.  He was refusing and I said he'd better follow me down or else I'd carry him down myself.  So I get down to his room and I can hear him making his way down the steps in some weird shuffley way (I couldn't see what he was doing) and next thing he's tumbling down the bottom half of stairs kinda head over heels.  First time he's ever really fell down stairs.  I did rush over and pick him up, but honestly, I wasn't feeling much sympathy.  He was crying, but I could tell he wasn't really hurt...just banged up and surprised.  Then I lectured him on how he should always be careful when using stairs because when you're not careful this is what happens.  Still no hugs from horrible mean mommy, although I did tell him DH and I love him and that he and I just had a horrible day.  I asked whether he thought tomorrow would be a good day or bad day.  His response?  "I'm not going to clean up the playdough."  My response?  "That's why I put it in the trash."  (well, also cuz it was starting to get pretty dried out).

Teacher until birth of DS (7-27-08)blowkiss.gifand now DD (10-17-11)femalesling.GIF:, now SAHM, wife to my wonderful hard-working DH.   cd.gifnocirc.gifselectivevax.gif

Old 09-02-2011, 07:59 PM
~pi

Oh, not telling, HUGS. Three is tough.

Perhaps we can submit our parent of the year applications together. When we picked DS up from camp today later than usual, he had been crying for 40 minutes because he thought we weren't coming to get him. (Someone please kill me now.) Then, after two days of me thinking he was faking feeling sick, he fell asleep on the way home, and has been in bed with an increasing fever ever since.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

Old 09-02-2011, 08:48 PM

not_telling - oh my I have been having these days with ds! The other day he threw a bloody fit from hell about getting in the car to go to the grocery store so picked him up under my arm, marched into the house, screamed at dh about ds & then plopped him in his room & slammed the door. Then I went into my room, threw myself on the bed & cried. I just could. not. get over my anger over the ridiculousness of the whole situation. Dh was completely at a loss of what to do.

I think the combination of an almost 3 year old & a hormonal/tired pregnant mama is not a great one.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, a couple of you NEED this website (and the rest of you need to read all of the blogs this gal has done because they are hilarious).

not_telling: http://crappypictures.typepad.com/crappy-pictures/2011/09/maximum-cuteness-or-tiny-little-manipulators.html
Katico & livacreature: http://crappypictures.typepad.com/crappy-pictures/2011/07/my-cat-before-after-kidsillustrated-with-crappy-pictures.html

For the rest of you, I suggest starting here: http://crappypictures.typepad.com/crappy-pictures/2011/08/last-monday-started-like-any-other-monday-except-the-boys-were-being-unruly-more-than-usual-i-mean-this-was-the-beginning.html

Old 09-02-2011, 09:29 PM

Jaw thing:  I've been clenching my jaw since my 3yo DS was born, and it always feels odd, but I swear the last two days it feels twice as bad/out of line.  How odd that you guys are noticing the same thing at the same time!  I've never had that happen in a pregnancy before!

Not_telling - I SO understand where you're coming from right now!  I'm so sorry.  It royally sucks to feel like you're a terrible, hormonal, nothing-but-cranky mom.  Your day sounds like my last two weeks have felt, and honestly I've been sobbing from guilt several of those days, yet not able to pull myself out of the mean-mom mode to actually give my kids what they need.  It's really awful.  I wish none of us had to go through any of that!  My DH works 12 hour shifts (with 1hr commute both ways) for 3 or 4 days out of the week, and those days he's gone are TERRIBLE.  He leaves before we get up, and gets home after the kids' bedtime.  So I totally feel like a single mom those days.  I keep thinking about the last time I was pregnant - sure, I had 2 kids, ages 2 and almost 4, but they were perfectly content to let me turn on Dora or something equally little-kid-friendly, and let me sleep on the couch for half the day while they watched or wandered off to play with their toys, and keeping out of any harmful trouble.  I don't remember EVER getting crazy with them.  I got the rest I needed during my late pregnancy- neglected though they might have been- so I could function properly and sanely when I was awake.  But now, NOW, they're almost 8, 6, and 3.  I CANNOT take a nap while all three are home, or things break, people beat each other up, major rules get broken, rooms get destroyed, gigantic fits get thrown, and so on.  I can't even get some peace by turning on a show on the TV.  They will even all three watch the same thing happily... but the problem is that someone will start goofing off on the couch, hurt someone else, start a fight, etc., and/or when the show is over, they act like their brains literally melted in the short time they watched it, and all hell breaks loose, and I'm worse off than before.  I honestly expected pregnancy to be a little bit easier with older kids, because they could HELP me, but the honest to goodness truth is that they just get into worse trouble if they're not constantly supervised.  And it's freakishly EXHAUSTING by this stage of my pregnancy.  I ran into a friend at my kids' school the other day (speaking of which, never though I'd be the mom who'd be overjoyed to send her kids to school for 7hrs a day, but 35 weeks pregnant has me desperate for it!!), and she could tell I was a little wild-eyed and at the end of my rope.  Bless her heart, she practically demanded to take my kids today (a day off from school, while DH works all day), and keep them playground-hopping with her kids for almost 4 hours.  I felt bad accepting, but just our brief talk had me in tears because I felt so worn down and exhausted.  So she took my kids, and I got a quiet morning (in which I ate out for breakfast an indulged in a book!).  When they got home, they were tired and I was more patient with them.  And then *after* lunch, I took up my MIL's offer to watch them while I did a couple short shopping trips (during which I bought the rest of my birthing supplies, *without* the chaos my kids add to the experience!).  So all told, I had about 6 kid-free hours today, and it was SO needed.  I don't know how long that little rest will grant me a bit more patience, but it sure helped today.  (Note to self:  Next time I know a pregnant mom, make sure to offer to take her kids for a random break- she probably needs it more than she'll admit!)

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

Old 09-03-2011, 07:15 AM

Thank you for your BTDT commiseration, Pi & Lifeguard & Leiahs.  I'm trying to start this day with everyone having a clean slate.  Our last day before DH gets home.  I think having DS start preschool on the 12th is gonna be a big help...even though it's just 3 mornings a week.  A little time apart at this age sounds like a good thing and hopefully will bump up my pateince threshold.

Karli - That site sure hit the nail on the head.  I had heard of it, but hadn't actually looked at it yet. 

Alright.  Big breath!

Teacher until birth of DS (7-27-08)blowkiss.gifand now DD (10-17-11)femalesling.GIF:, now SAHM, wife to my wonderful hard-working DH.   cd.gifnocirc.gifselectivevax.gif

Old 09-03-2011, 07:40 AM

not_telling, awful, awful. I hate struggling with my DS. I hope today is much better.

Old 09-03-2011, 07:42 AM

Not-telling.... If it helps, I think all parents have days like that. I know I did, especially between the ages of 2-3. Now ds is almost 8 and has absolutely no memory of those moments. I would have to say that a rough day every once in awhile won't scar them for life wink1.gif

User Tag List