Chat Thread: 8/28 - 9/3 - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 142 Old 09-03-2011, 06:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We are going to finalize the financing for our 2009 sienna le 8 pass today! should be able to pick up by Wed ....yipeee

I just wish we could keep the crv too!!

mom to ds '07 first day of a new year, dd '09 in the caul, and  ds '11 at home Oct 24th

#122 of 142 Old 09-03-2011, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_telling View Post

Had a totally horrid day with DS today...well, really just from noon on.  I think I'm just at the end of my DH-not-being-here rope and DS is pushing ALL my buttons (cuz he's 3 and that's his job, apparently). 

Yes, yes, yes.  We've had a really busy couple of weeks - friends stopping by, appliance deliveries, doctors appointments, DD's big girl bed arriving......and it's been all I can do to keep up with all the stuff that has to be done.   Mama's emotional cup is EMPTY.  Mama is TIRED.  Mama is having a bit of pre-baby anxiety.  Daddy works 18 hour days and is never here.   And of course, all of this is stuff would be overwhelming enough for DD (busy days, big girl bed, potty learning, molars coming in, new baby coming) but when you add to it that Mama just isn't really PRESENT? There in body and meeting basic needs, but not much else?  Ohhhh boy.  

So, we had two days this week where I literally had to close every window in the house, lest the neighbours hear all the screaming (hers) and decide they needed to call the police because obviously we were doing something terrible to her.  She.would.not.stop.screaming.  For hours.  Over the STUPIDEST things.  She screams because she's suddenly famished.  So I feed her.  And she screams because I gave her what she asked to eat and not some other random item which she now MUST HAVE.  She screams when I ask her if she is done.  She screams because she is done RIGHT NOW AND MUST GET OUT OF THIS CHAIR *NOW*.  And then she screams when I compost the remains of her lunch, that she told me she was done with.  "Miiiiiiiine!  Miiiiine!"

On Thursday, she had a full out, on the floor screaming bloody murder tantrum because she had "dropped her purple"  ??????  Wth?????  What am I supposed to do with that??? How do I fix a dropped purple???

I spent an hour that day slumped on the sofa, letting her use my baby belly as a slide for her teddy bear and dollies, just because it made her stop screaming.  

And I know that I need to really spend the next few weeks prioritizing the simple stuff, a good routine, snuggles and books and home.  We need to get our rhythm back on track and settle in for the coming baby and change of season.  But.....man, I am having a hard time checking back IN, y'know?  I don't want to be touched.  I don't want to talk about how yes, we saw a crane moving boxes, 3 weeks ago, for the 100,000,000,000th time.  I don't want to be cheerful at 6am "Up, Mommy!  Eat Bekfast!"  I don't want to play tea party, paint pictures, peel off stickers for her, go to the playground, read Brown Bear Brown Bear AGAIN, etc etc etc.

I want to sleep.  And oh, what I would give for a cocktail.  

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

#123 of 142 Old 09-03-2011, 09:16 AM

Katico, you made me laugh!  We've been doing ok so far today.  Sesame Street.  Breakfast.  Some independent playing for DS while I finished my tea and the newspaper (well, with him repeatedly telling me he was a baby aardvark and telling me to come into the aardvark cave -- i.e. the sofa with pillows made into a cave), baking pumpkin cornmeal biscuits...no potty accidents so far, either.  We're gonna head over to our co-op soon because we're pretty much out of all fresh fruit and need to get something for dinner, too.  I so hear you about transitions and having so much going on.  I've been concerned about that, too...daddy being away for 2 weeks, roofers working on our house, a brief visit with DH's parents (they had to leave early to avoid Irene), the mommy stress leading up to "Hurricane" Irene, my parents (who DS sees every week) and sister and brother-in-law going to India for 3+ weeks for my sister and brother-in-law's 2nd wedding, starting preschool (very big deal), new big boy bed will be arriving soon, continuing to really work on potty learning...and, of course, the impending big brotherhood.  It really is a lot.  I've been trying to stick to regular schedules as much as possible.

Saoirse - congrats on the car...no car seat stress now!

Teacher until birth of DS (7-27-08)blowkiss.gifand now DD (10-17-11)femalesling.GIF:, now SAHM, wife to my wonderful hard-working DH.   cd.gifnocirc.gifselectivevax.gif

#124 of 142 Old 09-03-2011, 06:16 PM

katico- I laughed out loud at your post! Thank you for that!

I've had my share of rough days with my 2.5 year old. I really haven't felt like the calm, present, loving mother that I strive to be. It has been really hard. I've also cried in the bathroom on the worst days. Ugh! This is tough stuff!

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#125 of 142 Old 09-03-2011, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Sooooooo tired! I cannot get a decent/full night's sleep to save my life lately. Between ds, the box of stinky kittens (wow they stink!) that need to be fed & the bh contractions I get for hours in the middle of every night I am finding myself getting further & further & further behind on my sleep. Even better ds is suddenly waking up a full half hour earlier than before every day - don't know what prompted that but I could certainly live without it (I am NOT a morning person so a half hour matters!).

We went to a fair today to watch our friend/personal trainer compete in a high level strongman competition - it was so crazy hot!! Dh & I both have a sunburn (luckily ds does not) & the heat just totally whipped me. I am just beyond exhausted. I need to feed the kittens again shortly & then I think I am going to go to bed early & set my alarm for the next feeding.

Apparently our a/c is broken. Normally not an issue in September but we're getting such unseasonably hot/humid weather that it's making things rather unpleasant - especially for sleeping. Sigh.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#126 of 142 Old 09-03-2011, 06:39 PM

So, for those of us with toddlers that are driving us bonkers...I found this blog yesterday and it is AMAZING - the cool things these ladies do with their little people!!

http://playathomemom3.blogspot.com/

It totally inspired me.  Yes, some of this could be potentially messy.  And some of it could be a lot of set-up/clean-up for those with short attention spans,....but, there are so many good ideas that could totally save us in the coming weeks, not to mention over the long, cold winter!

We went outside today and painted the sidewalk with baking soda/water/food colouring paint, then sprayed it with vinegar to make it fizz.  Then we made some volcanos with the leftovers.  Totally fun.  

I have also beefed up my "fun for desperate times" box that I filled for after baby's arrival.  I had packed a box with stickers, puzzles, new little animals and toys and cars - just cheap little things, mostly from the dollarstore,  that might buy me a few moments of peace when I really need them.  I decided I might need to dip into that before baby arrives.  So, I picked up some more stickers and puzzles, some glitter pompoms (hot commodity around here), some foam stamps for painting, etc.  And I made a new little sensory box with a Halloween theme .  Sensory boxes, people - they are toddler gold.  

I think the novelty of these things is as good for me as they are for her - because honestly, I do NOT want to drink another cup of pretend tea...

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

#127 of 142 Old 09-03-2011, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katico View Post

On Thursday, she had a full out, on the floor screaming bloody murder tantrum because she had "dropped her purple"  ??????  Wth?????  What am I supposed to do with that??? How do I fix a dropped purple???

ROTFLMAO.gif

Sorry to laugh, but that sounds just like my DD.

DD is also getting on my last nerve -- and I'm not even home with her all day every day!  I cannot even imagine doing it all day, every day, with a husband who works long hours or as a single mama. 

In the last few months, DD has potty trained, moved into a big girl bed (though lately she's been coming back to ours in the middle of the night) and started a new preschool.  It's a lot of change.  But the tantrums and the whining... I'm just not sure what to do.  Ugh.  I was totally *that mom* with the 3 year old throwing a complete tantrum in the middle of the store today.  She hit me (relatively new behavior) in public, which was kind of embarrassing. Sigh.

In other news, she informed me that "Mommy, your stomach is REALLY big"  -- like she doesn't see it every day orngtongue.gif

I have been really exhausted lately. DH, who normally does no cleaning besides dishes & taking out trash without me asking him, actually took it upon himself to clean some of the upstairs & do laundry today while I was laying incapable of movement on the couch.  That was pretty great.

#128 of 142 Old 09-04-2011, 05:46 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Yes to the tired and cannot sleep. I freaked out yesterday about sleeping on the left side, and how I really should be sleeping on my left only (re-read a baby book that suggested this.) I got incredibly sore on my hips doing this, and was cursing our firm mattress. (Generally I switch side to side, trying to make most of my night on the left.) When I finally was sleeping, ds got into bed with us (hot) and then I had one of my colossal allergy attacks--sneezing, itchy throat, itchy EARS, runny eyes, the works. My fear is that our beautiful new bedroom that DH remodeled completely this summer, using solid pine for the closet unit and our amazing captain's bed, is triggering the attacks. I never thought I was allergic to pine furniture. This could be extremely tricky. We did not seal the bed yet, because we were anxious to move in, and now I have these horrific attacks. Anyway, I got up (2:30) to get my Zyrtec (allergist and midwife approved for me), get in ds's bed and sneeze in a place where I would not disturb them, and his bed was equally hard, so I got up (4:30) and came downstairs and made a nest on our squishy couch on my left side and slept until about 25 minutes ago. It was lovely. Oh, and before my nest, I was hungry, so I ate...a brownie...at 4:30 am.

katico, I really appreciate the link; this will help in the winter, I'm certain. DS starts preschool next Wed., but just three mornings a week.

Making a March 9th sandwich with a Halloween filling.
#129 of 142 Old 09-04-2011, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollyanna View Post

In other news, she informed me that "Mommy, your stomach is REALLY big"  -- like she doesn't see it every day orngtongue.gif

Ha!!  Lately, anytime DD finds me lying down (which is...um...often, these days....)  she climbs up on top of me,  tries to straddle my belly and proclaims that she is a bird, hatching an egg.

Great.

I.am.so.tired.  I swear, I was up every single hour last night.  Trips to the bathroom, needing more tums, going to get DD who woke up crying, nightmares, little Ms.elbows and knees slept with us after she woke up and insisted I only needed 1ft of our king bed to sleep on....This is training, right?  This is new baby sleep deprivation preparation, right?

I usually get together with girlfriends for child-free knitting and coffee on Sunday afternoons and it just doesn't look like it's going to happen - I have to get DD to nap so that DH can stay here with her but still get work done (on Sunday, yes rolleyes.gif ) ......and so I have 2 hours to get her into nap mode......maybe DH will take pity on me and I can go even if she's awake.....I reeeaaaaallly need to get out.  

#130 of 142 Old 09-04-2011, 09:23 AM

Is it possible for fetuses to break ribs?  Baby girl was doing something insane and I (and a client!) heard a crack.  I'm kind of debating whether or not to get it checked out...it hurts, it's really tender to the touch here a few hours later, but I don't want to roll up to urgent care and say that my unborn inflicted an injury only to be told I'm nuts (and frankly, at this point, what are they gonna do?  I'm not letting them x-ray me!)

I'm soooo embarrassing her at her eighth grade graduation.

Social working mommy to babygirl.gif 10/10/11, three cats, and a dog.

#131 of 142 Old 09-04-2011, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

It seems to me if our bodies really wanted to prepare us for newborns they would do it by giving us the best sleep of our lives at this point! Especially if it's not our first.

Katico - hatching an egg - that is pretty darn cute!

The leg cramps are absolutely killing me. We were out in the heat yesterday so I'm sure that contributed but I know I was well hydrated. I woke at 3:30 with a calf cramp & top of foot cramp both in the right leg. Then again at 7 with the same thing in the left leg plus a cramp in the arch of the right foot. Absolutely agony. Of course, both times I woke up ds calling for dh (dh was on the couch, 'cause ds was in my bed because earlier in the night he'd woken up needing "help to make him happy" & crying). I'm hoping to hear back from the nutritionist soon to see if there is any changes we can make that might address these cramps - I'm seriously afraid to turn over in the night now.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#132 of 142 Old 09-04-2011, 10:30 AM

livacreature - you got my curiosity going so i did a very brief google and it sounds like it's possible that babe could've cracked one of your ribs...but that there's nothing they can really do for you except maybe wrap it.  i'd page my doc/midwife if it were me, just to see what they think.

Teacher until birth of DS (7-27-08)blowkiss.gifand now DD (10-17-11)femalesling.GIF:, now SAHM, wife to my wonderful hard-working DH.   cd.gifnocirc.gifselectivevax.gif

#133 of 142 Old 09-04-2011, 10:44 AM

I'm sporting some swelling and bruising around my bottom rib, I did some reading and brusing seems more likely than actually breaking anything.  But I have an appointment first thing Tuesday and I will be sure to let you guys know.  I told dh about it, I couldn't without laughing pretty hard...which now hurts.  Whoops!

#134 of 142 Old 09-04-2011, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

That sucks, livacreature!

Hmm ... I was going to ask if it hurts more when you laugh or cough or take a very deep breath.  That's my standard paramedic question, along with "Can you point to the pain with one finger, or does it radiate?"

Typically, if it hurts more when you do those things, and if you can point to it with one finger (not needing it to be pinpoint, but you get my drift) AND especially if you can attribute it to an event AND you heard a crack, then yes, your rib is injured, and no, there's not much to be done about it. 
My only other concern would be the proximity of the crack to your babe, and whether or not it is 'only' a crack.  Have a good feel, make sure you don't notice any crepitus (crunchy broken bone under skin feeling).

If you weren't pregnant, I'd be suggesting ibuprofen.

That's quite the kick!

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#135 of 142 Old 09-04-2011, 11:52 AM
~pi

Congrats, saoirse!

Dropped purple, huh? Yep, that's a toddler/preschooler. Thanks for the laugh, Katico. lol.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by livacreature View Post

Is it possible for fetuses to break ribs?

It's definitely possible. My sister cracked my mom's rib in utero.

By the way, X-rays are not totally out of the question when pregnant. However, almost everyone in medicine thinks they are without actually working through the risk-benefit balance, so you're unlikely to be offered one. And there isn't anything that can be done for a cracked rib except tape and time, anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollyanna View Post

lol.gif

DS has taken to describing my belly to DH as, "very, very fat." I am unthrilled. I've tried to explain (thus far unsuccessfully) that it's more or less the same word in French (grosse), so it's fine to use that with me, but in English we would just say big, so that's what he should say to Daddy. (But then, all French vocabulary around pregnancy kind of bugs me. Pregnancy is la grossesse, which translates literally as fatness. Or, if you are an English speaker, it sounds a lot like grossness. Way to make pregnant women feel awesome, guys.)

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#136 of 142 Old 09-04-2011, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Yesterday, my dd asked when she could sit on my lap again.  I told her that my tummy would get smaller after the baby is born.  Then she said, "Oh, then Baba's will get smaller when she has her baby too?" (Baba is what she calls my dp, her other parent.)  DP was in the kitchen and overheard and said, "I'm not pregnant, so I'm not going to have a baby.  Just mama."  DD thought about that for a minute and then said, "Baba has no baby?  But her belly got bigger too!"  And DP pipes in from the kitchen, "I'm working on it, okay?"

When I was pregnant with dd, dp gained a some sympathy weight.  And perhaps a little bit more this time.  Nothing gets past dd! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~pi View Post

DS has taken to describing my belly to DH as, "very, very fat." I am unthrilled. I've tried to explain (thus far unsuccessfully) that it's the same word in French (grosse), so it's fine to use that with me, but in English we would just say big, so that's what he should say to Daddy. (But then, all French vocabulary around pregnancy kind of bugs me. Pregnancy is la grossesse, which translates literally as fatness. Or, if you are an English speaker, it sounds a lot like grossness. Way to make pregnant women feel awesome, guys.)

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#137 of 142 Old 09-04-2011, 12:03 PM
~pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by starling&diesel View Post

Yesterday, my dd asked when she could sit on my lap again.  I told her that my tummy would get smaller after the baby is born.  Then she said, "Oh, then Baba's will get smaller when she has her baby too?" (Baba is what she calls my dp, her other parent.)  DP was in the kitchen and overheard and said, "I'm not pregnant, so I'm not going to have a baby.  Just mama."  DD thought about that for a minute and then said, "Baba has no baby?  But her belly got bigger too!"  And DP pipes in from the kitchen, "I'm working on it, okay?"

When I was pregnant with dd, dp gained a some sympathy weight.  And perhaps a little bit more this time.  Nothing gets past dd! 

lol.gif

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#138 of 142 Old 09-04-2011, 01:33 PM

Oh, Pi, Starling!  LOL.  Little ones are too funny.  No crunchy ribness, just tender.  An elastic bandage around it helped, and I'm icing it.  I figure, if nothing else, she seems to dislike cold things so might lay off the assault.  Now, I believe I have earned my pizza rolls and sour cream.  Hmph.

#139 of 142 Old 09-04-2011, 02:13 PM

Yesterday DS finally asked:

"How did the big baby get in your tummy?"

and

""How does the baby get out if your tummy doesn't open up?"

I did the short n' simple mommy-has-egg, daddy-has-sperm (like a seed), egg and seed get together and baby starts growing.  And reviewed how boys and men have penises, and girls and women have vaginas and babies come through a mommy's vagina which can open up real big when there's a baby that needs to get out.  He seemed unfazed.

#140 of 142 Old 09-04-2011, 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starling&diesel View Post

DD thought about that for a minute and then said, "Baba has no baby?  But her belly got bigger too!"  And DP pipes in from the kitchen, "I'm working on it, okay?"

lol.gif  My DH grew an ice cream baby when I was pregnant with DD and he's adding to it the second time around

I am so glad today is over.  It just felt like one big parenting fail.  DH kept trying to save me from DD's tantrums, which I appreciate.....but it's like... DD is screaming because she kept hitting mama, even after mama explained that was not okay, so mama got up and went to do something else.....so the answer is not daddy swooping in with some fun distraction...DD did something wrong, she is old enough (2.5 and totally KNOWS)  to know it was wrong and did it anyway....so when she is ready to hug and talk about it mama is here...until then, screaming doesn't earn you fun with Daddy....

DD didn't want to lay down for her quiet time/nap...which is something she does every day, and she was very tired and almost asleep but fighting it.  And I insisted, told her it was time to lay down, that she didn't have to sleep but she needed to read or play with her bears, etc.  And she didn't want to, so I told her we would wait there until she was ready to climb in. So DH comes in and lays down with her and plays and all these things...which is very nice, yes....but I am not going to do that for every nap...I shouldn't have to, and it doesn't do her any favours.  I do lots of snuggling before naps and bedtime - lots of songs and books and hugs....but I am not spending an hour laying in bed with her when she is old enough to understand that it is time for her nap and we do it every day.  

Am I crazy?  A total hard***?  He isn't here for 99% of these situations, so it doesn't help me at all to leave them unresolved like that, yknow?  It's so frustrating and makes me feel like the total bad cop and he's the good cop who gets to be around a few hours here and there.  I understand he's trying to help and trying to make the best of the time he can be home, but geez....

ETA - I kind of thought I had already started nesting but I think it may only just be beginning - I just had the hugest urge (at 10 pm) to scrub and polish the stairway banister....

#141 of 142 Old 09-04-2011, 06:37 PM

Katico, try not to worry about it too much. life is different when another parent (or grandparent or special grownup) is around. DD can tell the difference too. She won't learn OR unlearn behavior in just one day. IME kids go in and out of these really unpleasant stages. My second is MUCH mellower in general, but even she has her days.

Other people's bellies: my DD (2y4m) has been talking about daddy's belly, and daddy's "namnies" (breasts) too. (he got here yesterday morning to pick us up. She is so thrilled to see her dad, he's only had 3 weekends with us all summer). He is not HUGE, but not svelte either. And she keeps saying, "there is no baby in daddy's belly, and daddies don't have namnie (milk)." And just talking it up quite a bit. ironically, I am on a really strict diet pregnant, so sorry, DH doesn't have an excuse of "sympathy" ice cream or what have you (I suppose his big excuse is missing us this summer??). She also recently said, about her own belly, "I don't have a baby in my belly... I don't think so" which is a revision of earlier statements. In fact, she is growing so tall this summer, her little toddler belly is disappearing!

we're driving back to NYC tomorrow. transitions. I am looking forward to it, and dreading it too.

I will weigh myself for the first time in 2 months also. A little nervous that its going to be a shock!!

okay have to go pack.

dissertating mom to three

#142 of 142 Old 09-05-2011, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmaegbert View Post

Katico, try not to worry about it too much. life is different when another parent (or grandparent or special grownup) is around. DD can tell the difference too. She won't learn OR unlearn behavior in just one day. 

blowkiss.gif  Thank you - this is what I needed to be reminded of.  I should enjoy the very rare chances I get to escape the tantrum, without fearing it will undo all my parenting!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page