Back Pain... yuck! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-29-2011, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I know that back pain is one of the most common "blessings" of pregnancy, right along with morning sickness, heartburn, and loss of bladder control. But hey, I'm a baby. Mine has been pretty awful. I wake up in the morning feeling mostly fine, but by the evening I'm usually in such horrible pain I can barely move. Sometimes it's because I do too much. Friday I was out at doctor's appointments and shopping with my mom all day--terrible decision. Saturday I spent a few hours making cinnamon rolls--an equally terrible decision. 

My biggest problem is that I can't seem to find anything that helps. I don't want to take any painkillers. I've been to the chiropractor twice and by the end of the day I hurt just as badly as any other day. Pelvic rocks relieve the pain while I'm doing them but don't seem to lessen the pain once I stop. I've tried sitting on the birth ball, sitting crosslegged on the floor, sitting on the edge of a couch so I'm not leaning back... nothing works. Laying on my side and sitting with my legs curled up under me on the couch are the only positions that feel good. I can't lay on my side all day and my chiropractor and midwife have both warned me that my comfy couch position is terrible for my back and more likely to make the baby turn posterior.

I'm thinking I need to schedule an evening, rather than morning, appointment with my chiropractor. I wonder if she could help me more if I went when I was in pain rather than when I feel okay in the morning. Otherwise, I guess I just have to deal with it!

I know the bottom line is, "You're pregnant. Your back is gonna hurt"... but does anyone have any other ideas to help lessen the discomfort?

Mom to Eli babyboy.gif 10/18/11 and loving wife to Derrin. heartbeat.gif 

Proud to be "that" girl--the crazy bedsharing, sling-wearing, breastfeeding mama everyone

thinks is crazy!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2011, 06:06 PM
~pi

I don't think that back pain has to be inevitable in pregnancy, though there are some things that help that require more advance preparation  (for example, increasing core strength.)

Do cat-cow moves help you? How about making sure to get off your feet in the middle of the day for a bit? Do you like swimming? And personally, if I had a comfy couch position, I would use it.

Back pain sucks. I'm sorry you are dealing with it.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

Old 08-29-2011, 06:14 PM

Ouch...sorry you are having such awful back pain! It sounds like you are doing a lot of the right things though...I wish they were helping more!

Some other things you could try are: lots of stretching, hot showers, tennis ball massages (rope your hubby into doing those). Make sure that when you are laying down, you have a pillow between your knees...this really helps keep your back/hips aligned. One thing that really helps me (although it is totally embarassing, so I only do it when I'm alone) is belly-dance type hip swaying...I just concentrate on really relaxing my lower back and sort of rolling and rocking my hips, and it really seems to help loosen up my back.

Also, does your chiropractor use an activator? Regular chiropractic manipulation doesn't do much for my back pain and can actually make me more sore afterwards, but I recently started going to a chiropractor who only uses the activator on me and it is pretty much miraculous...he has even gotten rid of my sciatica issues that I've had for 8 years!

P.S. I'm inclined to say that homemade cinnamon rolls are worth any amount of back pain, but that may just be my currently ravenous sweet tooth talking orngbiggrin.gif

Head over heels for DHjoy.gif bonus mama to super sweet DSS (10/9)superhero.gif and mama to DD (10/11)loveeyes.gif! nocirc.gif  sewmachine.gif  goorganic.jpg

Old 08-29-2011, 06:40 PM

How fast can you get yourself to a swimming pool? For an hour at least, every day, until the baby is born?
I had a major back/neck injury in college, and my back hasn't been the same since.

Pregnancy does make my back hurt, but mostly because sleeping on my side is so painful. (ever since the injury I can only sleep comfortably on my back. Accept of course, when i'm 8 months pregnant!haha)  If it werent for that, I think i'd be ok.

The one thing though that DOES seem to help (along with chiro and massage) is swimming. And I don't mean you have to go swim laps or anything. Just go sit in a pool, as deep as possible. And if you can, attempt some stretches. This seems to work the best for me, anyway.

Also, if it's lower back, they do make pregnancy support belts...

Mama to Reuben (8) and Zeke (7)fencing.gif and baby girl, Lötte babyf.gif
Illustrator/designer of children's media and rubber stamps.  blogging.jpg

Old 08-29-2011, 08:36 PM
~pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrabelle View Post
Also, if it's lower back, they do make pregnancy support belts...

Excellent point. I have one of these that I have worn when having a very long, active day. It really helps.

Also, I just finished a yoga video that I've been doing more and more often as the pregnancy progresses, especially before bed, mainly because it helps me relax and makes my back feel amazing. (I used to be prone to back pain.) It's this one, and I think it's common enough that you ought to be able to get it from your local library. I took it out of the library first before finally deciding to buy it.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

Old 08-29-2011, 09:28 PM

I was going to suggest a support belt as well.  I know it makes a difference for me if I know I'm going to be out a lot during a day, especially with things like shopping.  I don't know why, but shopping kills my back.  And yeah... if the option is comfy couch position that relieves your pain for the next several weeks, or *potentially* getting a posterior baby (which may turn on its own, or even have the chances negated by regular pelvic tilts, etc.), I'd take the comfy couch position, hands down.  Hope you can get some relief!

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

Old 08-30-2011, 11:46 AM

My back pain was entirely dependent upon the baby's position. I had to get him to stop turning posterior to get relief.

What worked:
-Cat-Cow moves, every single time I felt pain or felt the baby moving (the docs said it would help him to move into the right spot if he was already moving)
-The RIGHT chiropractor. I've seen three - one helped, two hurt more than helped. You might want to try one that specializes in pregnant women and children.
-Heat pad
-No more reclining! I lean forward over my desk at work, and no longer recline on the couch at home.
-No pillow between the legs - it made it worse for me.
-Sleeping on my back but propped up to an almost sitting position. Or, in desperate moments, sleeping while sitting cross legged and holding onto a huge pillow to (barely) support my head

I was told that putting an ice pack on my back where the baby was would get him to move, but I never tried it.

Alaskan Wife and Mama to my special little guy ribbluyel.gif (9/13/11) and expecting #2 (2/21/13)!

Old 08-31-2011, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~pi View Post

Also, I just finished a yoga video that I've been doing more and more often as the pregnancy progresses, especially before bed, mainly because it helps me relax and makes my back feel amazing. (I used to be prone to back pain.) It's this one, and I think it's common enough that you ought to be able to get it from your local library. I took it out of the library first before finally deciding to buy it.

You're right, they do have it at our library! I just placed a hold on it from one of the area libraries and I'll try it when I get it in a few days. I've never tried any yoga except the cat-cow moves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrabelle View Post

How fast can you get yourself to a swimming pool? For an hour at least, every day, until the baby is born?

You know, I did a lot more swimming a little earlier in the summer, and my back didn't hurt as much then. I thought the pain just didn't kick in until a few weeks ago... maybe the swimming helped hold it off. Unfortunately, our city pool is closed except on the weekends now, but I do have the river nearby, and I could probably find a deep enough spot to float around. That helps with the suffocating heat, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBruja View Post

Ouch...sorry you are having such awful back pain! It sounds like you are doing a lot of the right things though...I wish they were helping more!

Some other things you could try are: lots of stretching, hot showers, tennis ball massages (rope your hubby into doing those). Make sure that when you are laying down, you have a pillow between your knees...this really helps keep your back/hips aligned. One thing that really helps me (although it is totally embarassing, so I only do it when I'm alone) is belly-dance type hip swaying...I just concentrate on really relaxing my lower back and sort of rolling and rocking my hips, and it really seems to help loosen up my back.

Also, does your chiropractor use an activator? Regular chiropractic manipulation doesn't do much for my back pain and can actually make me more sore afterwards, but I recently started going to a chiropractor who only uses the activator on me and it is pretty much miraculous...he has even gotten rid of my sciatica issues that I've had for 8 years!

P.S. I'm inclined to say that homemade cinnamon rolls are worth any amount of back pain, but that may just be my currently ravenous sweet tooth talking orngbiggrin.gif

Well, the cinnamon rolls WERE very good. They were probably worth it! My chiropractor is plain magic (she's "fixed" me after several falls from horses) but she has been pretty conservative as to what she'll do on me. Maybe I can suggest she go a little more indepth! Belly dancing makes sense! I agree, though, I wouldn't want to do that where anyone could see me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKChix0r View Post

My back pain was entirely dependent upon the baby's position. I had to get him to stop turning posterior to get relief.

What worked:
-Cat-Cow moves, every single time I felt pain or felt the baby moving (the docs said it would help him to move into the right spot if he was already moving)
-The RIGHT chiropractor. I've seen three - one helped, two hurt more than helped. You might want to try one that specializes in pregnant women and children.
-Heat pad
-No more reclining! I lean forward over my desk at work, and no longer recline on the couch at home.
-No pillow between the legs - it made it worse for me.
-Sleeping on my back but propped up to an almost sitting position. Or, in desperate moments, sleeping while sitting cross legged and holding onto a huge pillow to (barely) support my head

I was told that putting an ice pack on my back where the baby was would get him to move, but I never tried it.

At my last few MW appointments, he's been in the perfect position, but I guess he could be moving enough to put pressure on my back. Sounds like you were super creative with your sleeping positions!

With your input, I've decided there's only so much I can avoid the positions that are comfortable for me but frowned upon by my MW. I think it really is more important that I'm not miserable. I'm trying to sit in the "right" positions when my back doesn't hurt, but once I get to the point that it does, I'm trying not to feel guilty about doing what feels good. Thanks for helping me out, mamas! I can't believe we only have a few weeks left!

Proud to be "that" girl--the crazy bedsharing, sling-wearing, breastfeeding mama everyone

thinks is crazy!

Old 08-31-2011, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm miserable. It's like this muscle ache to the right of my spine--not quite lumbar region, a little higher. So it's not a position I think would be helped by a support belt or something. I think what would help is a massage, but that's expensive and my insurance doesn't cover massage therapy (if it did I would totally try!)

I'm more comfortable on the couch or in bed, but I can't be there 24/7. I WANT to cook dinner and go shopping and and and... and I can't.

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

Old 08-31-2011, 10:56 AM

AlexisT, that's where mine was, too. I described it as getting punched in the kidney, but slightly higher.

Trinket, my guy is always LOA at appointments (the only exception being one visit where I was miserable with back pain), but the pain would come and go like a light switch. I'd be totally fine, minding my own business, and then WHAM, I'm writhing in pain and making my husband pull over his truck so I can cat/cow across the front seat. I was a mess! The only thing I can tell you is that it wasn't permanent! It was 3 weeks of hell and no sleep, but I'm convinced he "grew" out of whatever spot he kept weaseling into and I've had no problems since! This too shall pass, even if it doesn't feel like it!

Alaskan Wife and Mama to my special little guy ribbluyel.gif (9/13/11) and expecting #2 (2/21/13)!

Old 08-31-2011, 12:09 PM

I've had pretty severe back pain during the last week, but it has gotten better in the last 2 days.  I looked at a picture taken from last week to this week, and the baby has dropped a ton.  At our prenatal yesterday our midwife noticed it as well, how low the baby is. 

Saturday I went on what I believe was my last run during this pregnancy (sigh), and on Monday took a kickboxing class and was miserable afterwards.  Standing up was brutal, and I felt like I had to walk (waddle) hunched over like my grandpa.  The manager at my gym, who had a baby last year pointed out that when the baby drops, your hips widen.  For the first time, I've felt like I really had to modify things when I exercise, and I don't really feel like continuing kickboxing- I can't keep up with the combos, and especially the side kicks are just plain uncomfortable, and I think they really exacerbated my lower back pain.

Cat/cow exercises always made them feel better, but the relief wasn't permanent.  However, yesterday I did the elipitcal and some weights and haven't had back pain since.  I carry my stuff to work in a backpack, so I also pulled out every ounce of unnecessary (heavy) junk I was lugging around.  But I feel like the motion I was doing made a big difference (eliptical versus kick combos or high impact stuff).  It was also really helpful to mentally link the huge change in the way my back felt with knowing my baby is now much lower and my hips are spreading (which is a good thing, but means that I need to be extra careful in not doing motion that is uncomfortable).  I don't know if this is at all helpful to you, but I also agree with previous posters- it isn't necessarily permanent!

Amy, feathering our nest with sweet husband O and baby girl, P (October 2011). 
Old 08-31-2011, 07:08 PM

I have also had killer back/hip pain in the last week or so, it comes on every evening between 5 and 6. And it seems to be unrelated to what I've done earlier in the day. Its awful. I am creeping around. My son asked why I was limping the other day (it was really bad in my right hip that night). I would love to try chiro but I simply can't afford anything extra right now. I am trying to get in the lake but I am solo with my 2 kids most of the time and so its hardly relaxing (nor is it exercise) to take a 2yo and 6yo swimming alone in a deep lake! (the obviously wear floatation but I still have to be vigilant for safety). I am so miserable, afraid this will be it for the next 5-10 weeks!

I never had anything this bad with my previous two pregnancies :(

Next week when I am back home in NYC I will be trying to get financial aid to the Y, but right now I am feeling so stressed about money (end of the month does that to me) that its hard to see how we could eke out any more. I guess I'll go down and apply for WIC too which might cover enough groceries to make me feel like I can spend some money on a gym. That is such a weird sentence to write. But its how my brain is working at the moment.

Cat-Cow feels good while I am doing it but I agree, it doesn't seem to have any lasting effect. Ditto doing a yoga DVD that I like a lot, gives momentary relief. I sleep on my side with the leg pillow- that feels very comfortable. And I wake up feeling just fine... I hope at least that doesn't stop!

One thing... yesterday I was really thirsty and drank a ton more water than usual and it was the first night I've felt a bit better. I wonder if it was coincidence?? I will try that again tomorrow.

dissertating mom to three

Old 08-31-2011, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmaegbert View Post

I have also had killer back/hip pain in the last week or so, it comes on every evening between 5 and 6. And it seems to be unrelated to what I've done earlier in the day. Its awful. I am creeping around. My son asked why I was limping the other day (it was really bad in my right hip that night). I would love to try chiro but I simply can't afford anything extra right now. I am trying to get in the lake but I am solo with my 2 kids most of the time and so its hardly relaxing (nor is it exercise) to take a 2yo and 6yo swimming alone in a deep lake! (the obviously wear floatation but I still have to be vigilant for safety). I am so miserable, afraid this will be it for the next 5-10 weeks!

I never had anything this bad with my previous two pregnancies :(

Next week when I am back home in NYC I will be trying to get financial aid to the Y, but right now I am feeling so stressed about money (end of the month does that to me) that its hard to see how we could eke out any more. I guess I'll go down and apply for WIC too which might cover enough groceries to make me feel like I can spend some money on a gym. That is such a weird sentence to write. But its how my brain is working at the moment.

Cat-Cow feels good while I am doing it but I agree, it doesn't seem to have any lasting effect. Ditto doing a yoga DVD that I like a lot, gives momentary relief. I sleep on my side with the leg pillow- that feels very comfortable. And I wake up feeling just fine... I hope at least that doesn't stop!

One thing... yesterday I was really thirsty and drank a ton more water than usual and it was the first night I've felt a bit better. I wonder if it was coincidence?? I will try that again tomorrow.

Wow, your situation sounds SO similar to mine. Reading your posts here and other threads makes me feel a little less alone. We're living with my mom and dad, due to our financial difficulties, and my little sister (who just turned 6) is always asking why I'm hobbling. She makes fun of me and copies my waddle!  I stress out terribly about money, even though we don't have other kids or rent. DH only works part time and JUST started two weeks ago, so money is still really tight. There's too much month at the end of the money! I get WIC, and it takes care of roughly $40-50 of groceries a month.

I should try drinking more water than usual and see if that helps, since it sounds like your pain is pretty similar to mine. I'm looking forward to trying the yoga video now, too.

thinks is crazy!

Old 08-31-2011, 07:32 PM

Karli and Amy, I do hope yours is gone for good now and that it could just be temporary.

dissertating mom to three

Old 09-01-2011, 12:14 PM

I get pretty sore by the end of the day too, and I take Tylenol for the pain.  Being on my hands and knees or kneeling and leaning forward over the couch are pretty helpful for momentary relief.  My doula also showed DH and me how to do a double hip squeeze and rebozo sifting.  For rebozo sifting, mom gets on her knees and leans forward over furniture or on her hands, or mom can lie on her back on the floor, then partner slides a folded sheet or a shawl or a rebozo sling under the belly (I think the Moby I just got might work for this?  Gotta try it.) then pulls it tight and jiggles the belly back and forth.  This takes all the belly weight off mom's back, and it feels great.  The double hip squeeze is a very firm press on either side of the lower back into the hip bones.  It feels great too, once DH finds the right spot.  The sacrum press looks promising too.  

This stuff is explained a lot better online in tutorials and videos, so if you want to try it do some research first.  This doesn't get rid of all my pain, but it does usually make me feel a bit better for an hour or two.  

heartbeat.gif  Baby girl arrived 10/11/11 heartbeat.gif

Old 09-01-2011, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Well, this baby is apparently wedged in on my right side (I went for my NST, and told the nurse I thought he was there, and she palpated and agreed with me--I'm hard to palpate, so I can't do it myself, or assess position with any accuracy). I have an anterior placenta, which is keeping baby from really flipping around that much--aside from a brief flip to transverse, he's been vertex and right for ages. So I think I'm kind of stuck with this right side pain.

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

Old 09-01-2011, 12:51 PM

Alexis, my placenta is anterior, too, and I eventually got my wiggle worm out of there. I know it seems hopeless, but keep doing the cat/cows, pelvic tilts against the wall, and both techniques yellowdart mentioned. It won't be an instant fix, but it will help get the baby out of there.

User Tag List