Visitors during/after birth - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-07-2011, 08:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I *really* don't want a lot of people visiting after since I'm having my baby at home. At least in the hospital-you don't have to worry about how messy your house looks to visitors. On the otherhand, at home you don't have to worry about wearing pajamas that make your butt everyone elses business!!

Our plan is to not tell anyone that the baby was born until we're ready for visitors. Except for my mom and dad.  Dad will take our kids out if this happens during the day, and my mom has been there for my first two births and i'm REALLY glad she was. The woman should be a doula-she knew exactly what I needed, when I needed it. Things even a husband wouldn't know. Yet she manages to be there without stepping on any toes or breaking any boundries, or making dh feel inadequate. I love her.

DH's parents aren't too invasive...but they do occasionally like to show up unannounced-which isn't a huge deal. But after the baby is born would be a really bad time for that to happen, as i'm always terrified of what my mil would think of the state of my house, and I really really REALLY don't want to be worrying about whether or not my dishes are done while i'm holding my brand new baby and trying to bond with her.
(MIL is an absolute neat freak-the woman actually combs the fringes on her rug so that they lay right.) Our house, on the otherhand, is, well, lived in. Not dirty, but we always have a pile of laundry ready to be folded hanging out on the couch, a stack of junk mail on the kitchen counter, some toys here and there, my sewing stuff on the dining room table etc. And, our countertops in our bathroom usually have some muddy little handprints. I don't CARE. But I can tell that she does-and I don't want to be worrying about that. (and no, I absolutely do NOT want her cleaning my house for me...eeek!! she did that once while I was on vacation...long story, but I nearly died.)

Also, when trying to establish breastfeeding, it isn't always comfortable to have people around watching! Especially if you aren't sure how your baby nurses most comfortably, or if their latch was off etc. I don't want my Dad, brother in law and father in law standing around as i'm trying to do this. Once we get the hang of it, sure, then I can do it in a way that won't feel like i'm sitting there, well, naked, in front of my Dad and FIL!

Mama to Reuben (8) and Zeke (7)fencing.gif and baby girl, Lötte babyf.gif
Illustrator/designer of children's media and rubber stamps.  blogging.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List