Which one would you pack? - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: Which baby wearing device would you pack for the hospital?
Moby Wrap 4 100.00%
Sleepy Wrap 0 0%
Pouch Sling 3 75.00%
Don't know/None/other, please leave comment 11 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 08-31-2011, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I wanted to update this thread. I ended up packing the Sleepy Wrap and loved it! I was not allowed to walk out of the room with him, hospital policy was for safety reasons babies can only be transported in the cribs, but even just wearing  it in the room worked out very well for the both of us. I did not have any issues with the hospital. They did have a no baby sleeping in bed policy but I had a very attached and natural nurse who was all for mom on baby and over looked it. I did also have him in the Sleepy Wrap and sit in a chair to nap a time or two, haha. 

--------------------------------------------
Babywearing device poll. I'm trying to decide what to take with me to the Birthing Center.

I have Moby Wrap-which I have used with newborn, not straight in the hospital but a couple days old if that; Sleepy Wrap-which is new to me and I have never used for newborn, never used at all aside from the one time I tried my daughter in it just to try it out a couple months ago. I notice distinct differences between the Moby and Sleepy and originally packed the Sleepy Wrap because it just seemed like it would be better/easier/more convenient but now I'm second guessing because I've never actually worn a NB in it. Pouch Sling-custom made for me during my last pregnancy which I loved for the newborn days. I also have Boba G2 and Ergo but have decided not to buy infant insert for the Ergo so neither of those I feel safe using until the recommended age.

Jamie: Kinda crunchy, computer geeky, very blessed, attached mama to five
R (4/1997), A (6/2002), B (07/2007), K (06/09) & N (10/17/2011)

#2 of 25 Old 08-31-2011, 11:06 PM

I am an avid baby wearer but to be honest I don't think you need to pack one. I have hb but never use anything for the first few days. I don't k ow how long you will be at the bc but I am guessing taking care of your baby and holding them will be your only job. That sid If you feel you really need one then I would go with the moby or pouch. The pouch will be better for easy in and out and the moby is more swaddle like.

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#3 of 25 Old 08-31-2011, 11:07 PM

Oh i voted none.

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#4 of 25 Old 09-01-2011, 04:07 AM

Gosh, it hadn't even crossed my mind!  I voted none - When she is home we will use our moby and ring sling, but for the hospital?  I really can't imagine needing it.  She will be so tiny and I will be so sore, we won't be walking very far and we won't be staying very long anyway!

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

#5 of 25 Old 09-01-2011, 06:45 AM

We'll be bringing a Moby and ring sling. We don't drive so dragging a car seat would be stupid to take public transportation home (which is the plan.) Plus I want to practice getting baby in and out of carriers while still in the hospital.

#6 of 25 Old 09-01-2011, 07:06 AM

I also voted none. You won't be there long, and you'll likely spend your time there snuggling up in bed, so I would just leave them at home.

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#7 of 25 Old 09-01-2011, 07:23 AM

I voted none. I also avoid pouch/rings slings with newborns, I'm too worried about chest-to-chin breathing obstruction.

Amy, mom to E superhero.gifsince April 2008 and C babyboy.gif since October 2011, wife to P since September 2006.

#8 of 25 Old 09-01-2011, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamy View Post

I voted none. I also avoid pouch/rings slings with newborns, I'm too worried about chest-to-chin breathing obstruction.

I do tummy-to-tummy carries instead of cradle carries with ring slings.

#9 of 25 Old 09-01-2011, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonahsmom View Post

I do tummy-to-tummy carries instead of cradle carries with ring slings.

I could never figure that out with the ring sling, easy with the Moby though!

Amy, mom to E superhero.gifsince April 2008 and C babyboy.gif since October 2011, wife to P since September 2006.

#10 of 25 Old 09-01-2011, 08:29 AM

I voted none as well. I remember someone telling me when DS was born that they (the hospital) 't let you walk around carrying your baby (through the halls) anyway, so there's not much need for a carrier, unless you plan to walk home. That said, I used a ring sling when DS was a newborn and loved it (tummy to tummy carries), and bought a Sleepy Wrap to use with this baby. If I were going to take one of the two, it'd be the Sleepy Wrap (or a Moby) - you could probably get away with wearing it without a shirt under it, and you could do skin-to-skin time that way.

Wife to my hubby and SAHM to two boys -  DS1 (2) and DS2 (newborn).  Forever missing our three angels in Heaven. 

#11 of 25 Old 09-01-2011, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

So pretty much none of you felt baby wearing your new-newborn would or did offer you any benefit to you or them?

Here's why I ask...The first night after birth has been rough for my babies. My youngest daughter had the biggest issue adjusting that night and looking back I really think having a baby wearing device would have helped us both out a great deal. She would have gotten to be snug and comfy next to mama and me close to her. I started wearing out when we got home from the hospital and it helped so much! She had my smell, my warmth and my heartbeat and the comfort of a wrap/pouch around her...not the womb but... and of course my arms/hands would be free and not aching like they were going to fall off. I actually hate having my babies wrapped like a burrito laying in the bassinet away from me in the hospital. I plan to bring a baby wearing device anyway just because of the benefits I know it has for me and my babies...not to mention, if he's born preemie I'll have it with me already to go Kangaroo care whenever he's ready. I'd much rather pack it and not need it than not pack it and regret it. 

Jamie: Kinda crunchy, computer geeky, very blessed, attached mama to five
R (4/1997), A (6/2002), B (07/2007), K (06/09) & N (10/17/2011)

#12 of 25 Old 09-01-2011, 10:04 AM

I am planning on homebirthing and will very likely wear my new baby very shortly after birth. I do plan on putting a wrap in my back up hospital bag too.

#13 of 25 Old 09-01-2011, 10:19 AM

At the hospitals I birthed at you were not 'allowed' to walk around holding your baby. You had to push them in the little cart thing. That said, I also wasn't 'allowed' to bed share in the hospital and did anyway. Wrapping in bed is not a terrible idea. Might as well pack one so you won't regret not having it once you get there.

Nicole treehugger.gif  Busy with my two boys.jog.gifdiaper.gif  The 'big boy' too. peace.gifOh, and a sweet baby girl, born at home in October. love.gif

#14 of 25 Old 09-01-2011, 10:27 AM

I'd pack the moby since you are most used to it but I agree with others that you probably won't need it. I didn't use one with DD for several days. She slept with me in the hospital bed, I used pillows to prop my arms up. She was never left in the basinet... I just used it to change her diapers.

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#15 of 25 Old 09-01-2011, 02:03 PM

Well, obviously, if you think you will want to do it you should!  And you probably know which carrier will work best for what you want to do!

DD was rarely out of arms during our hospital stay and slept most of the night with me (I hate those little plastic boxes -  and it is so awkward and uncomfortable to get them in and out for a sore mom laying in bed!)

I guess a carrier might make it easier to sleep with baby (narrow bed, serious fatigue, you wouldn't have to worry about dropping them!)  In that case I would choose the ring sling just because it is so easy to adjust

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

#16 of 25 Old 09-01-2011, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

It's not that I would say there isn't a benefit but I never babywore sitting or lying down with ds & I didn't do any walking around in the hospital after his birth so I wouldn't have had much chance to babywear. If you think you will use one definitely bring it along. I suspect this time will be the same - I will just hold the baby in my arms in bed with me.

We used a ring sling exclusively from birth until 3 months when I made a stretchy wrap - I suspect this time I will get more use out of the stretchy wrap 'cause it seems more suited to the newborn stage - I just found it kind of irritating to get in & out of with ds.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#17 of 25 Old 09-01-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teruterubozu View Post

We'll be bringing a Moby and ring sling. We don't drive so dragging a car seat would be stupid to take public transportation home (which is the plan.) Plus I want to practice getting baby in and out of carriers while still in the hospital.

Check in with your hospital. Some hospitals won't release the baby without a car seat.

#18 of 25 Old 09-01-2011, 08:38 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

What Sue said ...

I won't bring one if we end up in hospital.  DD slept with me in the hospital bed too, even though the staff discouraged me to have her in bed with me, I did it anyway.  Would do it again.  I'm not putting my newborn in a plastic box! (aka 'bassinet') If I thought I might want one, the moby style would be lovely, but a drag to put on (lifting arms, stretching, tugging, no thanks!) and keep snug and deal with bunching up fabric and knots.  I'd bring a ring sling and do tummy-to-tummy. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKislandgirl View Post

I'd pack the moby since you are most used to it but I agree with others that you probably won't need it. I didn't use one with DD for several days. She slept with me in the hospital bed, I used pillows to prop my arms up. She was never left in the basinet... I just used it to change her diapers.

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#19 of 25 Old 09-02-2011, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KABB View Post

So pretty much none of you felt baby wearing your new-newborn would or did offer you any benefit to you or them?

Here's why I ask...The first night after birth has been rough for my babies. My youngest daughter had the biggest issue adjusting that night and looking back I really think having a baby wearing device would have helped us both out a great deal. She would have gotten to be snug and comfy next to mama and me close to her. I started wearing out when we got home from the hospital and it helped so much! She had my smell, my warmth and my heartbeat and the comfort of a wrap/pouch around her...not the womb but... and of course my arms/hands would be free and not aching like they were going to fall off. I actually hate having my babies wrapped like a burrito laying in the bassinet away from me in the hospital. I plan to bring a baby wearing device anyway just because of the benefits I know it has for me and my babies...not to mention, if he's born preemie I'll have it with me already to go Kangaroo care whenever he's ready. I'd much rather pack it and not need it than not pack it and regret it. 

I had my son sleep right beside me in the bed with my arm on the other side of him. I kept the bed slightly reclined and never budged from my back. I hated that plastic bassinet too.

Some hospitals seriously don't ALLOW you to walk around with YOUR OWN baby in your arms? Now I've heard everything.

#20 of 25 Old 09-02-2011, 06:51 AM

So stupid...but true.
I get that they don't want you to drive away with your baby on your lap...but i've known people who can literally walk across the street from the hospital to get home-or like you said, take public transportation, but the hospital still won't let them leave without an infant seat. What a waste of money for those who never drive, or cab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronika01 View Post

Check in with your hospital. Some hospitals won't release the baby without a car seat.

Mama to Reuben (8) and Zeke (7)fencing.gif and baby girl, Lötte babyf.gif
Illustrator/designer of children's media and rubber stamps.  blogging.jpg

#21 of 25 Old 09-02-2011, 06:56 AM

if you like babywearing why not pack what you want to bring? None of them take up much space. I too do not think I used any babywearing "devices" the first few days, I was just taking it easy. DS was in the hospital (with me) for 4 days. DD was born at home and I am planning a HB again this time. I don't think I'll put a wrap in my emergency hospital bag b/c I have plenty of family around and if we are hospitalized for emergency, I will have lots of family support, someone can bring it if I need it.

interesting question about carseats in the city! I also don't have a car (though we do own carseats) and that is quite normal in NYC. I imagine they don't have those rules about releasing babies in places which are not totally car-dependent?

dissertating mom to three

#22 of 25 Old 09-02-2011, 06:58 AM

Oh, and i'd say bring what you know. For this age, sleepy wrap is supposed to be better than moby, but if you've never used it then just bring the moby! It's worked before, right?
Our hospitals wouldn't let anyone walk around with any form of baby carrier (they make you push them in the stupid little bassinette, for "insurance" reasons...or some other form of bs..) and also don't like you to sleep "with" the baby, again, they want you to use the little bassinette.
I'm having mine at home because of this kind of crap (and other kinds of crap.) BUT I think i'd be using a wrap during the first days, if anything.

Mama to Reuben (8) and Zeke (7)fencing.gif and baby girl, Lötte babyf.gif
Illustrator/designer of children's media and rubber stamps.  blogging.jpg

#23 of 25 Old 09-02-2011, 08:15 AM

Forum crashing here....my hospital doesn't allow moms to walk the halls with babes in arms because of the risk that a mom who is unsteady on her feet due to meds or what-have-you might fall and injure her baby. Same reason they required us to ride out in a wheelchair when we left to go home.  

Eva, Tired Single Mama of Hurricane Bella~3/06 and Boy Bug Silas~7/08 fencing.gif

delayedvax.gifintactlact.gifcd.gif

#24 of 25 Old 09-02-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronika01 View Post

During our tour I specifically mentioned we would not have one as we have no car. They said that's fine. We'll just walk out though if they say otherwise on release. It's not like they can hold us prisoner for not driving smile.gif

#25 of 25 Old 09-02-2011, 10:10 AM
~pi

IME, most hospitals in urban areas don't require a car seat, though they may ask about your plans for any driving in the future, especially when there are programs in place to provide seats to low income families.

We took public transportation home with DS in a homemade pouch. No need for a carseat, though we did have one at home.

The hospital did have the rule about no walking the halls with babe in arms, though. As a pp said, it's a liability thing. They don't want woozy, sleep-deprived new moms passing out with newborns in arms.

KABB, I would bring whichever one you are most familiar with. It won't take up that much space, and then if you want it, you have it.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page