TMI alert--vulvar varicosity! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 09-05-2011, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

OK ... I can't believe I'm posting this here, but on the other hand ... where else would I post it?

I've had a terrible vulvar varicosity (or varicosities, not really sure) for a couple of months -- just right on top, slightly off to one side. The pressure when I'm standing or sitting is intense, not to mention it is soooooooo ugly to look at ... a bit distressing, honestly.

I guess by the fourth pregnancy, I should expect my body to be falling apart a bit at the seams. And, so it is. irked.gif

My OB says they usually (usually?!) get better after delivery ... so I'm hoping.

And, I've ordered a support belt to compress the area.

But I'm wondering if there are supplements or any other homeopathic remedies I can add to my arsenal.

Anyone else dealing with this?

Failing all else, just some sympathy would be fine.

Thanks in advance!

Laney1983 likes this.
#2 of 14 Old 09-05-2011, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We just discussed this in the weekly chat--go to page 4 in the current chat thread--and scroll down to where I discuss my own TMI vein problems, then be somewhat comforted, as I was, in the fact that many of us are experiencing similar problems. This is only my 2nd baby (well, I had one miscarriage at 9 weeks, but that obviously didn't add any weight) so it can't be all about having 4 kids. But you DEFINITELY have my personal sympathy--can I have yours?!?

Rosemary, married  mama to Pascal 3/08 and expecting #2 on Halloween.
#3 of 14 Old 09-05-2011, 02:26 PM

An ice pack will be your new best friend! I have it too... only my 2nd baby as well.

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#4 of 14 Old 09-05-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKislandgirl View Post

An ice pack will be your new best friend! I have it too... only my 2nd baby as well.

This just made me think - what about freezing maxi pads like you do for postpartum?  You could put a baby washcloth on top so it wouldn't be against the skin!

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

#5 of 14 Old 09-05-2011, 05:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I didn't know about freezing pads. That is a good idea. Just dry?

Rosemary, married  mama to Pascal 3/08 and expecting #2 on Halloween.
#6 of 14 Old 09-05-2011, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryS-F View Post

Oh, sorry!  For post-partum you soak them in witch hazel or an herbal tea mixture and freeze them.  I'm not sure what would be helpful for VV but even plain water would be a very convenient/easy to wear ice pack!  

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

#7 of 14 Old 09-05-2011, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, Rosemary, you definitely have my sympathy, too -- right back at ya!

Katico, I'm laughing thinking about wearing an ice pack on my girl parts ... but maybe I should stop laughing and try it? Hmmmm ...

AKislandgirl, mine don't hurt so much when I'm lying down ... have you found a way to use the ice pack standing up?

Glad to know I'm not alone ... thanks everyone!

#8 of 14 Old 09-05-2011, 07:34 PM

DDCC - I just gave birth 3 weeks ago and the varicose vein I had in my nether regions didn't cause any problems at all.  I was so afraid it would burst or something during labor (it was gnarly looking to me) but nothing came of it.  About a week after giving birth, it was completely flat, just a little discolored still.  Now, you can't see it at all.  

I found spraying the Earth Mama Angel Baby spray down there during pregnancy when it would throb or feel achey helped a TON.  Also, rest.  Stay off your feet as much as you can.  Frozen witch hazel pads are wonderful (but very cold, brr) and help the most when the pain is severe.

Hang in there!  This too shall pass!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#9 of 14 Old 09-07-2011, 01:30 PM

Thanks for posting Baby_Cakes. That was very encouraging!

Yes, such a great idea to do the frozen pads. They felt so great post partum, I hadn't thought to try it now. I've been using the ice pack when I lie down if the pressure is just too much. Being on my feet too long is uncomfortable so I've tried to take it a bit easy.

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#10 of 14 Old 09-07-2011, 05:19 PM

I've had these with my last two pregnancies, I feel your pain!!!! When my doctor first told me what it was that was causing my pain I almost didn't believe her, it is a cruel place to have a varicose vein!

Mine went away right after birth with my last one, I did find though that even though they went away I had a lot of pain where they were during my period once it came back.

partners.gif Married to an awesome dh for 5 years. energy.gifSweetpea, our honeymoon baby! (06/07), biggrinbounce.gif Little man (04/09), and rolleyes.gif our newest little guy (10/11).

#11 of 14 Old 09-08-2011, 06:54 PM

I haven't checked in here forever, but I saw this and had to post. I am on my 2nd pregnancy and the Varicose Veins "down there" are large and in charge. MUCH worse than the first time. If this means anything to you, when I showed my MW she was like "whoa!! there they are" So, yeah um, I felt really good hearing that.

BUT they did go away almost immediately after my first birth. I am hoping for a repeat performance this time.

Momma to Samuel Wyatt 8/15/09 and our new addition Jack 9/25/11!   mdcblog5.gif  winner.jpgcd.gif

#12 of 14 Old 09-09-2011, 05:40 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I am SO glad to know I am not alone in this!

#13 of 14 Old 09-09-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryS-F View Post

The nurses do that at the hospitals here...they spray/mist them with water/witch hazel or something like that and freeze them. They bring em to all the mamas with stitches.

Ok, to me, it felt awful and I couldn't wait to get it off. But then again, I didn't have any vericose veins or hroids..so it may have felt better and like relief if I had. (My friend said that she thought they were awesome!)

This is my third baby and I do have a bulgy vein now that aches quite a bit-especially combined with SPD and early dilation. I tend to be a bit on the grumpy side these days.lol 

Mama to Reuben (8) and Zeke (7)fencing.gif and baby girl, Lötte babyf.gif
Illustrator/designer of children's media and rubber stamps.  blogging.jpg

#14 of 14 Old 09-09-2011, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)

You are not alone!  I got shingles on top of vulvar varicosities and hemorrhoids!  Feels like recovery from my first birth....only I'm still 5 weeks away.

Anything cold.  As soon as skin heats up, then vessels dilate.  When skin cools the tissues surrounding veins contract.  What's great and not messy is a child's "booboo buddy" a small gel ice pack that fits well down there and doesn't leak.  But the witch hazel soaked thin maxis that are put in the freezer could do the trick also.

Also, finishing showers with a blast of cold to get the "shivers" and goosebumps.

Lots of downward dog poses to remove pressure caused by gravity (if you aren't worried about disengaging baby's position from pelvis).

And finally, if you don't already, consider wearing full length maternity panty hose (full hose) with a compression of at least 20-30 mm Hg (usually need prescription from doctor and custom measurment to ensure proper fit and often covered under health plans).  If there's a varicosity in one area, then there's bound to be others that are worth preventing.  Compression is a proven treatment to "tighten" up those veins and keep the blood flowing, preventing the bulges from happening in the first place.  What is this belt that you ordered out of curiosity?  I might want to try something like that.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page