Really helpful for Those who plan to breastfeed..thought i'd share. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 09-09-2011, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just wanted to share a link with those who are planning on breastfeeding. Some of this info would have been really good to know when I was told to supplement my jaundice baby!

http://www.bfmed.org/Media/Files/Protocols/Protocol%203%20English%20Supplementation.pdf

Mama to Reuben (8) and Zeke (7)fencing.gif and baby girl, Lötte babyf.gif
Illustrator/designer of children's media and rubber stamps.  blogging.jpg

#2 of 8 Old 09-09-2011, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry, I should mention that the last few pages are the most helpful (to me anyway...) Past all the references.

#3 of 8 Old 09-09-2011, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

Ah, sorry, one more. I promise i'll stop now....

http://www.drjen4kids.com/soap%20box/main.htm

#4 of 8 Old 09-09-2011, 10:40 AM

DS had a bit of jaundice, was a lazy eater, and got dehydrated on day three (my milk hadn't come in yet). Luckily the only thing suggested to me (at our baby-friendly hospital) was to hand express colostrum as indicated in that first link you posted. The nurse showed me how to do it - I collected it in a teaspoon, sucked it up with a little syringe, then fed it to baby. I remember just 2.5 little syringes cleared up his dehydration and my milk came in later that day, phew!

Amy, mom to E superhero.gifsince April 2008 and C babyboy.gif since October 2011, wife to P since September 2006.

#5 of 8 Old 09-09-2011, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamy View Post

DS had a bit of jaundice, was a lazy eater, and got dehydrated on day three (my milk hadn't come in yet). Luckily the only thing suggested to me (at our baby-friendly hospital) was to hand express colostrum as indicated in that first link you posted. The nurse showed me how to do it - I collected it in a teaspoon, sucked it up with a little syringe, then fed it to baby. I remember just 2.5 little syringes cleared up his dehydration and my milk came in later that day, phew!

See, that's *exactly* the kind of thing that could have been suggested to me, but wasn't:( Sounds like a very similar situation too! Mine wasn't peeing or pooping (he had pooped once or twice after birth, but that was it, and then didn't go again for about a week. And he wasn't wetting much, was too tired to eat etc.

I was trying to pump and give him that (which I now know is near pointless with colostrum) and that wasn't working. No one even mentioned hand expression (I honestly didn't know that was even possible, which is weird, since I grew up on a cattle farm...) I guess I figured the doctors and nurses knew all there was to know about these things.
They told me that i'd have to give him formula, or they'd have to draw blood, which would hurt him...so I caved.

It really bothers me that no one mentioned hand expression, or that I should try feeding him every hour. One nurse got after me for feeding him all night the first night. He was alert, and latched well, and clearly working at it. She came in, swaddled him up and told me that it wasn't normal for a baby to eat that long and that it was pointless because I had "no milk" yet...and that I was just making my nipples sore.
They weren't sore, and we were fine. 

I've never had a lot of luck with medical staff in any of my experiences, in any department. Maybe that's why i'm such a crunchy skeptic :( 

#6 of 8 Old 09-09-2011, 11:37 AM

Thanks for sharing!!

Knitting mama to Crabby Patty and Lovebug .

#7 of 8 Old 09-09-2011, 02:39 PM

I am so stressed about being bullied in supplementing. I am adamantly opposed but it happened with my first baby and I was just not informed enough to stand up for me or the baby. It's always horrible to have a "professional" telling you that doing or not doing something is going to hurt the baby -- you feel like a crazy person for standing up for what you believe in -- so I appreciate the extra ammo, as it were. ;)

#8 of 8 Old 09-09-2011, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

haha, Ammo! Well, really that's a good way of putting it.
I think people's experiences vary from region to region...we have hospitals around here that are very up to date..where as some are still really backwards and stress supplementing way more than necessary.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page