SPD? Please explain - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 09-13-2011, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Some of you are talking about your spd, and I'd like to know more about it. I have tremendous pains in my hips at night--if I lie on my left, it kills after a while, and then if I switch over to my right, which is actually far more comfortable yet iffy for the baby, even that begins to hurt and ache after a while. I've found the only thing that is actually ok is if I get onto the plush couch, rearrange the pillows so I'm slightly on my side but quite elevated. I also have soreness in the pelvis during the evening, sometimes earlier if I've been especially active.

Are you all self-diagnosing this or is this something that your providers have said? Is there ANYTHING to do about it?

Rosemary, married  mama to Pascal 3/08 and expecting #2 on Halloween.
#2 of 12 Old 09-13-2011, 06:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Sigh, the SPD.  

For me, the major symptoms are:

-severe pain in pelvis

-difficulty lifting legs (i.e. to put on shoes, climb stairs, or sometimes even to walk)

-a clicking and grinding in the pelvis.  

-trouble rolling over in bed (major trouble)

I had it terribly with DD and my midwife send me to a chiropractor who confirmed her diagnosis.

For me, I did some pretty intense chiro care the 1st time and it helped immensely.  This time it has been less severe - sometimes it's bad, sometimes it's fine.  Sleeping with a pillow between my knees has been enough to keep it under control this time.

I know other people have luck with exercises and pelvic binding but I haven't tried either!

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

#3 of 12 Old 09-13-2011, 01:08 PM

I think the major indicators are pain in your pubic bone, especially when moving your legs apart in any degree. (I've experienced it, and it's pretty darn excruciating and debilitating!!)  From what you describe, I pretty much doubt that SPD is what you're dealing with.  But at the same time, in late pregnancy, it's pretty impossible to avoid some sort of pelvic pain and discomfort!  Sometimes when I lay on one side at night for a few hours in a row (when I'm lucky enough to sleep that long uninterrupted!), my hips HURT from the pressure of laying on that one side.  And if I've been doing a lot of standing or walking, the upper edges of my hips will hurt by the end of the day, from the pressure baby and gravity puts on them throughout the day.  That's completely unrelated to SPD in my experience, but still no fun!

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

#4 of 12 Old 09-13-2011, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

So, if my hips hurt like mad when I'm lying on my left side, do I need to heed the advice to sleep only on the left. Every time I switch to the right, I wonder if I'm cutting off blood or oxygen (or whatever it is you cut off) to my baby.

#5 of 12 Old 09-13-2011, 03:35 PM

Are you sleeping with a pillow between your legs? That definitely helps with my hip pain. Also, I flip sides every time I get up to pee (so about every hour).
#6 of 12 Old 09-13-2011, 04:14 PM

I second the pillow and flipping every time I have to pee.

I doubt you'll cut off blood flow to any serious degree - just knowing that the left side is best and using it when you can should be fine unless you have some sort of complication and your doctor asks you to stick to that side?

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

#7 of 12 Old 09-13-2011, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

I do put a pillow between my legs. I often think that makes it worse, actually...it's just weird. No, I have no known complications and haven't ever been told I had to sleep on my left, I just feel paranoid in my sleep when I'm on the right. Who needs that?

#8 of 12 Old 09-13-2011, 05:16 PM

Maybe book an appt with a chiropractor and see what they say - I found such relief after she shifted my pelvis and hips - apparently they were totally off kilter.  It could be something so simple!  Plus, I am convinced that my very short pushing time had something to do with everything being in proper alignment :)

#9 of 12 Old 09-13-2011, 06:38 PM

I have major SPD; it hurts to stand up, hurts to walk, it just hurts. I haven't been able to lay down to sleep since the 1st trimester. The only thing that's comfortable is reclining in my recliner. I actually have 2, one in the living room & one in our bedroom. I've been to the chiro, and it hasn't helped with the SPD, although it helped with my other back & hip pain. I can barely get dressed on my own, it hurts so much to lift my legs. I have to baby step up steps too. I'm very much looking forward to the end here, just to get some relief!

#10 of 12 Old 09-14-2011, 05:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama~Love View Post

I have major SPD; it hurts to stand up, hurts to walk, it just hurts. I haven't been able to lay down to sleep since the 1st trimester. The only thing that's comfortable is reclining in my recliner. I actually have 2, one in the living room & one in our bedroom. I've been to the chiro, and it hasn't helped with the SPD, although it helped with my other back & hip pain. I can barely get dressed on my own, it hurts so much to lift my legs. I have to baby step up steps too. I'm very much looking forward to the end here, just to get some relief!

Oh no! hug2.gif This is just heartbreaking, mama. Big hugs.

#11 of 12 Old 09-14-2011, 06:05 AM

I had horrible SPD with my first, so this time I went to a chiro trained by the ICPA. She did one adjustment so far and it's made a huge difference! No more knife stabbing me in the groin, woo hoo!

For the general pelvic pain from loosening ligaments, I sleep my Snoogle behind me and between my knees, with an additional pillow between my ankles to keep my legs level. If I don't do that, then my "top" leg hanging down causes strain in my hip.

I also switch whatever side I'm sleeping on between trips to the bathroom. Spinning Babies recommends doing this to help keep the uterus symmetrical:

http://spinningbabies.com/more-info/for-pregnancy/rest-smart-posture

Amy, mom to E superhero.gifsince April 2008 and C babyboy.gif since October 2011, wife to P since September 2006.

#12 of 12 Old 09-14-2011, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamy View Post

I also switch whatever side I'm sleeping on between trips to the bathroom. 

I do this too, though I try to favour left side more to encourage babe to turn more left anterior (one quarter turn away from ideal birthing position).

I had something similar to what OP describes in my first pregnancy - very sore hips, aching pelvis.  Don't have the sore hips this time, thanks to a Natura latex/wool mattress topper.  However the pelvic pain is there....it's vulvar varicose veins and hemmorhoids.  Also have a much thicker and larger body pillow.  I don't put anything between my knees - instead I drape my top leg over the pillow(which is high enough to prevent the leg from hanging down and pulling on outside of my hips).  I am lying more towards being on my stomach than my back.  Lying directly sideways puts too much pressure on hips.  This helps redistribute more weight off of the bottom hip.  I also tuck a pillow behind my bum/back to help offload some pressure more.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page