Let's talk about the ever-watched cervix - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 09-15-2011, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So, after consistent strong contractions that included intense lower back pain...lasting from 11am to 8:30 PM when I finally crashed...

I was sure that when I asked my midwife to check my cervix today, I'd be able to report progress.

But no luck.

She said my cervix has moved much more forward, but baby's head has "unengaged"...if it's a head down there at all...apparently there's some question about whether she's flipped the wrong way again...

But I'm still only 1cm dilated, and not effacing at all...

Anyone else having this weird experience? I'd love to keep tabs on everyone's "progress"!

Marcie

Mother of reading.gif, REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifjammin.gif and babyf.gifborn Oct. 5th after angel.gif  angel.gif angel.gif. Social Media Manager and writer by day, Bloomin' Belly Soap maker by night.

#2 of 28 Old 09-15-2011, 05:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Well, I've been having contractions pretty much all day, since 4 this morning. I've been self-checking the whole pregnancy & nothing has changed - I'm still 3cm dilated. Getting sick of feeling so uncomfortable though!

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#3 of 28 Old 09-15-2011, 07:23 PM
~pi

I was 2 cm and 80% effaced today, but I have no idea if that's a change, as it was the first check of the pregnancy.

Of late, I've had one day with a long stretch of regular but not strong contractions (Saturday) and occasional series of them at other times, but nothing really intense yet. I had one very big contraction yesterday morning when I was nursing DS but everything else has been noticeable, but very mild.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#4 of 28 Old 09-16-2011, 06:15 AM

Apparently all of my crazy contractions have done exactly nothing. As of yesterday, I was a "fingertip" dilated.... basically a doctors nice way of saying "you're nowhere near dilated but we understand you're a hormonal pregnant woman so we'll give you a fingertip". lol.gif

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#5 of 28 Old 09-16-2011, 07:52 AM

I just saw my doctor this morning, and she did an internal confirming that baby was head down. She said there's no dilation, but I'm slightly effaced at 35w 3d.

Amy, mom to E superhero.gifsince April 2008 and C babyboy.gif since October 2011, wife to P since September 2006.

#6 of 28 Old 09-16-2011, 08:42 AM

Tuesday, less than 2 days before Jude's birth, I went to an OB who did an internal exam (no sweeping, just a gentle check). She said that based on my exam that birth was not likely to be imminent. My cervix was still very high and not even 50% effaced. She did say that it was something that could change overnight and that it was really not possible to make guarantees with the cervix. The next morning I woke up in Prelabor and I had prelabor/prodromal labor all Wednesday. Around 2 in the morning, Thursday morning, I woke up in early labor (I didn't even know it at the time). By 12:25pm on Thursday Jude was earthside. Just an example of how much things can change in just a short time. wink1.gif
Gabesgrrrl and lifeguard like this.

Momma to DS (2/08) and #2 due 10/11.

#7 of 28 Old 09-16-2011, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutucrazy View Post

Tuesday, less than 2 days before Jude's birth, I went to an OB who did an internal exam (no sweeping, just a gentle check). She said that based on my exam that birth was not likely to be imminent. My cervix was still very high and not even 50% effaced. She did say that it was something that could change overnight and that it was really not possible to make guarantees with the cervix. The next morning I woke up in Prelabor and I had prelabor/prodromal labor all Wednesday. Around 2 in the morning, Thursday morning, I woke up in early labor (I didn't even know it at the time). By 12:25pm on Thursday Jude was earthside. Just an example of how much things can change in just a short time. wink1.gif

blowkiss.gif Thank you, I needed to hear that!

~Iris~ Catholic mama to DD1 11/15/05 * DD2 04/28/08 * brokenheart.gif06/23/2010 * and our little rainbow DS 10/07/11 love.gif

#8 of 28 Old 09-16-2011, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Just saw my midwife.   I asked her about checking and she basically said that it makes no difference because things change so quickly and that it is hardly an indicator of anything.   She did offer to do a stretch and sweep because I'm 37.5 weeks and my babies all come early-ish.   I declined.   :) 

#9 of 28 Old 09-16-2011, 11:56 AM

Glad I'm not the only feeling anxious about all these. I kind of wish my ob had offered a sweep & stretch. I'm just so ready to be done but I know that is not a good reason.

#10 of 28 Old 09-16-2011, 12:09 PM

I saw my MW last night. I had her check me since I was already more pregnant than I had ever been. I went into labor with my son at 36 weeks 4 days. Yesterday was 36 weeks 5 days. She said the baby's head was low low low, and i was "soft and squishy" but (surprisingly) not dilated. She also said that I could go into labor and things could change over night. Just because I wasn't dilated didn't mean the baby couldn't come soon.

Momma to Samuel Wyatt 8/15/09 and our new addition Jack 9/25/11!   mdcblog5.gif  winner.jpgcd.gif

#11 of 28 Old 09-16-2011, 12:59 PM

a watched pot never boils....haha
I was 6 cm a week ago...and we arent checking again until i'm at 37 weeks, because they don't want to do anything to trigger labour before 37 weeks. I really think everyone is different! I dilate early, but still go full term. I have a friend that goes from 1 cm to 10 in 15 minutes, and another who takes about 8 hours to go from 7 to 10.
Ignore the cervix! It's actions don't really mean a lot until you're pushing.lol

Mama to Reuben (8) and Zeke (7)fencing.gif and baby girl, Lötte babyf.gif
Illustrator/designer of children's media and rubber stamps.  blogging.jpg

#12 of 28 Old 09-16-2011, 01:09 PM

Yeah, I got all excited over checking my cervix and finding it dilated after having a run of contractions. Bwahahahaha. Yeah. No baby yet.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#13 of 28 Old 09-16-2011, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

It's weird, because logically I KNOW that the cervix doesn't really indicate anything-I mean last pregnancy I was 4 cm for 2 weeks, and then he was born very quickly...

But I guess it doesn't matter-it's humyn nature to want to know-to have a clue about something you simply cannot predict. :)

I'm so glad to know other women are cervix aware, even if it really means basically nothing in the grand scheme of things.:)

Marc

Mother of reading.gif, REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifjammin.gif and babyf.gifborn Oct. 5th after angel.gif  angel.gif angel.gif. Social Media Manager and writer by day, Bloomin' Belly Soap maker by night.

#14 of 28 Old 09-16-2011, 11:25 PM
~pi

Update here: I am now losing my mucous plug.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#15 of 28 Old 09-17-2011, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~pi View Post

Update here: I am now losing my mucous plug.

Exciting! We are getting so close, ~pi! I am not losing anything yet, but I do feel like little dude is engaged, and I get vaguely crampy here and there. My body is always a bit slow on the uptake, but it does seem to be gearing up some. 

~Iris~ Catholic mama to DD1 11/15/05 * DD2 04/28/08 * brokenheart.gif06/23/2010 * and our little rainbow DS 10/07/11 love.gif

#16 of 28 Old 09-17-2011, 05:20 PM

More anecdotes:

With my daughter, I went from zero dilation to baby in arms in 8 hours.

Hey Pi! I lost some plug today too! Not sure if it was all of it or what.. it was in the toilet after I peed. I've been crampy all day.. we shall see....

#17 of 28 Old 09-18-2011, 09:50 AM

I'm 37+6 and haven't had a single contraction. During NSTs I watch the toco flatline. Cervix is Fort Knox.

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

#18 of 28 Old 09-18-2011, 11:06 AM

I'm not planning to get checked until I show up at the hospital in labor...but I'm wondering if my curiosity will get the better of me before then. At 35+1, I'm already having more contractions than I ever did with DS (induced at 39+1 for PROM) - maybe that means I'll actually go into labor on my own this time... Here's hoping.

Wife to my hubby and SAHM to two boys -  DS1 (2) and DS2 (newborn).  Forever missing our three angels in Heaven. 

#19 of 28 Old 09-18-2011, 11:15 AM

I had 2 days of "prelabor" (start and stop labor) w/ my first. I went to my regular prenatal appt after 48 hours of this and wasn't dilated at all. I went into the birth center close to midnight that night and they said I was 4cm and could have the option to go home (I stayed). Baby was in my arms about 4.5 hours after that. Transition (what is that- 7-10cm?) was about 20 minutes.

and then there are the people who walk around for weeks a couple of cm dilated.

Second pregnancy, I declined all cervical checks and pretty much was ready to push when the MWs arrived, so they never even did an internal then. I don't plan on any cervical checks this time unless there is some actual reason to do one- something that will help us make a decision about my medical care.

dissertating mom to three

#20 of 28 Old 09-18-2011, 11:49 AM

It's so funny. I really discourage my clients from checks.
But personally, I love knowing!

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#21 of 28 Old 09-18-2011, 12:01 PM

I kinda poked at my cervix the other day.  It's high and soft.  If I could reach it better, how would I assess dilation?  Just stick a finger in there?  I'm not sure I should do that.  

heartbeat.gif  Baby girl arrived 10/11/11 heartbeat.gif

#22 of 28 Old 09-18-2011, 12:39 PM

Really, its all your comfort level. You can stick a finger inside the cervix if you can reach. It may feel like a long tunnel,  which means you arent effaced much. An uneffaced cervix is about 4-5 mm long. If it seems less, its thinning.

Wife to DHluxlove.gif DS 98thumb.gif DD 03flower.gif DS 09 babyf.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

She is here!!! Oct 5th!!!joy.gif

#23 of 28 Old 09-18-2011, 12:44 PM

Jane - that is very interesting.

I personally like knowing. I remember at one point when in labour with ds my ob checked. He said I was 4cm to which I responded with a long, drawn out, lowing nooooo. He was still checking at that point & said "oh, now it's 6". I know it could also go the other way in that situation though.

#24 of 28 Old 09-18-2011, 03:34 PM

My OB offered to check, no pressure, and I said okay. I was 99% sure I hadn't dilated a bit and I was right. I was sort of hoping that having a vertex baby that was pushing down a bit would dilate me earlier this time (I had a late breech with #1) but really, I knew.

I know that it's impossible to never ever go into labor, but I still strongly suspect that my uterus takes a really long time to get the hint. This is pregnancy #3, one live birth and one missed AB, and both of those ended in surgery. 1600mcg of misoprostol couldn't make my uterus move.

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

#25 of 28 Old 09-26-2011, 05:53 PM

I'm 37 weeks and lost my plug on Sunday.  I plan on going natural and have heard a lot of advice against cervical checks, but curiosity will likely get the better of me at my next exam.  I know on a logical level that it doesn't mean anything as far as timing goes, but part of me still wants to know!

#26 of 28 Old 10-13-2011, 10:54 AM

I gave in (to myself) and had a check today (38+5). Cervix is high and closed. I nearly cried. Doc predicts I'll be seeing her next week...at my scheduled appointment. Ugh. I've been having mildly painful contractions on and off since Saturday, and I'm really discouraged. I am so ready to get this baby out - s/he has been sitting on my cervix for 3 weeks now...and it hurts! DS's birth was induced, and another induction is my biggest fear right now...and rational or not, the fact that my body doesn't seem to be preparing for labor has me totally scared that I'm headed for another induction.

Sorry for the whiny vent...I figured if anyone would understand, it'd be you guys.

Wife to my hubby and SAHM to two boys -  DS1 (2) and DS2 (newborn).  Forever missing our three angels in Heaven. 

#27 of 28 Old 10-13-2011, 11:17 AM

My cervix was high, closed and posterior on Monday, and my labor started early on Friday morning, actually shortly after midnight. Don't despair! The state of the cervix can change pretty literally from one minute to the next. grouphug.gif

#28 of 28 Old 10-13-2011, 01:16 PM

I've been doing the weekly cervix checks, more out of curiosity than anything else. 

With my last child, I was 1cm but  90% effaced the day I went into labor at 39 weeks.  Did not have one single contraction (other than Braxton Hicks) before I woke up in active labor that night.

This time, I was: 3cm and 50% and 37 and 38 weeks, cervix still posterior.  Lots of contractions, just not regular.

4cm and 50% at 39 weeks, cervix anterior, baby low and engaged. Still contracting irregularly.

4-5cm, 50% "VERY soft and stretchy" today at 40 weeks. 

Still no baby.  It really makes me wonder what the point of the checks really is?  But I can't resist.  I like knowing what's going on in there.

Amanda- mama to Lincoln 1/09 and expecting #2 10/11!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page