Experience with polyhydramnios? (x-posted in I'm Pregnant) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-17-2011, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am 34 (almost 35) weeks pregnant, and we were just diagnosed with polyhydramnios yesterday. Because we see a family practice doctor who delivers at a small hospital, we have a referral to go to a perinatology clinic at a larger hospital that's a little over an hour away from us.

Just wondering if anyone has had this diagnosis, and what course of treatment did your doctor prescribe?

I have done tons of reading about this in the past week or so, and it appears that my case is probably one where we won't know what the cause is. We've had mulitple ultasounds and baby looks great. My AFI on Friday was 27.6, which puts us a hair over the 97th percentile.

I'm feeling really conflicted, because much of what I've read says that for many mothers, polyhydramnios doesn't pose any problems, but we've had difficult pregnancies and labors in the past, including an intrapartum death. I don't want to have unnecessary interventions, but on the other hand I just want to do what is safest for baby. It makes me very nervous to think about being so far away from the hospital and having something go wrong (like if my water broke and the cord prolapsed, for example)

Any thoughts or experiences would be great!

SAHM to Abraham (9) Gillian (5) Adrienne (3) and baby boy coming in October! 

Always missing our Gianna, lost during fullterm labor (8/23/04)
Sticking together through the good and the bad with dh of 10 yrs!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 09-17-2011, 03:37 PM

I JUST got a call from my midwife that there's a suspicion of polyhydramnios from my sono 2 days ago! I have no experience with it, but I wanted to let you know you're not alone.

There's some question about the accuracy of the tech's measurements, so I have to go for an emergency one tomorrow. I'll keep you posted...if I DO have this, we can chat more.:)

Marcie

Mother of reading.gif, REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifjammin.gif and babyf.gifborn Oct. 5th after angel.gif  angel.gif angel.gif. Social Media Manager and writer by day, Bloomin' Belly Soap maker by night.

#3 of 4 Old 09-17-2011, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Marcie -

Well, I hope you don't have poly, but yes, if you do, we can chat about it!

Hope your U/S goes well.

SAHM to Abraham (9) Gillian (5) Adrienne (3) and baby boy coming in October! 

Always missing our Gianna, lost during fullterm labor (8/23/04)
Sticking together through the good and the bad with dh of 10 yrs!

#4 of 4 Old 09-20-2011, 06:45 AM

Hi again,

Sorry for the delay.:) I actually was found to have the upper range of normal, and not nearly anything like the first tech said. I don't have poly-but I will say that the doctor who came in to read my scan, said that poly is usually idiopathic-it doesn't have any reason or cause any problems...so I thought you might be encouraged by that a bit...

Hugs!

marcie

Mother of reading.gif, REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifjammin.gif and babyf.gifborn Oct. 5th after angel.gif  angel.gif angel.gif. Social Media Manager and writer by day, Bloomin' Belly Soap maker by night.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page