decreased movement........ Kick counts - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 09-18-2011, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So the babies movement has decreased significantly. I noticed yesterday morning that she didn't do her regular all night marathon nor her morning wake up gymnastics. Throughout the day she would shift if I poked the crap out of her but not her normal active movement. Same thing for last night and this morning too. My question is for those of you that have done kick counts, what type of movement am I looking for and how much and how often?

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#2 of 29 Old 09-18-2011, 06:55 AM

There have been several times in the last weeks where I have gone to do kick counts (I only do them when I don't feel the baby's normal acitivity, either because I have been busy being more physical myself, or because I have sat and felt less movement), and I do not feel the normal amount of kicks, or reccomended amount of kicks. And just as worry has reached it's max, the baby starts to have normal activity. Usually within 24 hours. I have contacted my midwife twice about this, and have talked to her during a normal exam. She assured me that baby's also have more active days, and less active days, just as we do. Mine seems to be in several day secrements. The baby will move a ton for several days, then be less actove for a couple days. It always helps to call your care provider, or go in to check the heart beat for assurance.

#3 of 29 Old 09-18-2011, 07:44 AM

I went through this worry last week and even went so far as to go to L&D to have them monitor me. Of course as soon as I got there the baby was kicking up a storm, but I felt better for having gone. Just remember that's always an option.

They do start running out of room about now, but regardless I was given the instructions -- if I wanted to do a count -- to have something to eat, then lie down and count movements/kicks for an hour. I was told I should feel at least 10 within the hour, and that if it were 4 or less, to call my care provider.

Let us know how it goes!

#4 of 29 Old 09-18-2011, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

newyorkmommy made my post for me!

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#5 of 29 Old 09-18-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeguard View Post

newyorkmommy made my post for me!

Hah. Great minds think alike! (Or something like that.) winky.gif

#6 of 29 Old 09-18-2011, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

My midwife says to expect ten movements within two hours at this point.  There really is so much less space for them to move these days.  I woke up and was worried that the baby's movements hadn't woken me up during the night, so I poked and prodded and it was nearly an hour later when he decided to move a bit.  It's unnerving at this point, for sure.  I was considering going in.  If he keeps up the sluggish behaviour, I'll probably call the midwife.  Because I'm paranoid.  And because I'm having so many more intense BH contractions and I worry about cord compression, because I'm paranoid.  Did I mention that I'm paranoid?  I think my career as a paramedic has ruined me forever.

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#7 of 29 Old 09-18-2011, 08:37 AM
~pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkmommy View Post

I went through this worry last week and even went so far as to go to L&D to have them monitor me. Of course as soon as I got there the baby was kicking up a storm, but I felt better for having gone. Just remember that's always an option.

Yeah that. (Except I happened to have a BPP scheduled that morning, so didn't need to go to L&D. Instead I just yelled at the u/s staff when they told me I had to go replace my hospital card before I could be checked in. bag.gif )

It does feel to me like the pattern of movements has changed. Longer periods of no movement, less intense movements when they happen (though still lots of them when they happen.) I remember having this exact same feeling, including freak-out, with DS.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#8 of 29 Old 09-18-2011, 08:52 AM

One more thing. It sometimes takes me a while to clue into these details, but I've finally noticed something that I think has been true with this baby all along, which is that she moves a LOT more at night and in the early morning than during the day. Not sure if this helps but it could also be that your baby has days and nights a little mixed up at this point. :)

#9 of 29 Old 09-18-2011, 09:15 AM

I've had this too. From what I understand, the 7th month is peak of activity, and as the baby grows they move less. My baby never has been the ninja that my first was.

Rosemary, married  mama to Pascal 3/08 and expecting #2 on Halloween.
#10 of 29 Old 09-18-2011, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starling&diesel View Post

My midwife says to expect ten movements within two hours at this point.  There really is so much less space for them to move these days.  I woke up and was worried that the baby's movements hadn't woken me up during the night, so I poked and prodded and it was nearly an hour later when he decided to move a bit.  It's unnerving at this point, for sure.  I was considering going in.  If he keeps up the sluggish behaviour, I'll probably call the midwife.  Because I'm paranoid.  And because I'm having so many more intense BH contractions and I worry about cord compression, because I'm paranoid.  Did I mention that I'm paranoid?  I think my career as a paramedic has ruined me forever.

LOL, you sound just like me!!!! Being a Labor and Delivery nurse, I know just how the paranoia affects me too!!!!

Wife to DHluxlove.gif DS 98thumb.gif DD 03flower.gif DS 09 babyf.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

She is here!!! Oct 5th!!!joy.gif

#11 of 29 Old 09-18-2011, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

thank you ladies soooo much for the replies. It makes me feel a lot better. I am totally paranoid. That's what lot's of losses, posting on loss boards, and going to share (loss) meetings will do to you:).

So after i posted I had a glass of juice and some chocolate (the breakfast of champions) and got in the bath. Google said 10 movements in a 2 hr period. She started moving while I was in the bath and I got 111 movements in about 5-10 min. That was at about 7;30am. I haven't felt anything since. She probably wore herself out.

She does have her days and nights mixed up that's why I was really worried that I didn't feel movement all night. I actually don't sleep well when I don't feel as i am so used to being pumeled that when she stops I jolt awake. lol

Maybe she got all her movements in now is resting. They were fast and furious so not sluggish so I am not as worried.

I can call my mw anytime as well and I know ob triage is an option (but not really since dh is out of town and I don't have anyone to watch my other kids) but they are starting to recognize me there and it is a bit embarrasing.

I wish I wasn't so paranoid I really do but I just want this baby here safe and sound so I can breathe (literally and emotionally).

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#12 of 29 Old 09-18-2011, 12:03 PM

I called my ob yesterday about the very same things. The babe tends to be really active for a few days and then a lot less active for a few days. I have to admit, I'm also really paranoid after reading about Tutu's loss. I wouldn't be surprised if I'm not the only one.

Hannah, Wife to R , Mama to Alexander, born 2-15-08,
and Gabriel, born 10-17-11. Ask me about cleft lip and palate!
signcirc1.gif

#13 of 29 Old 09-18-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannahkatiebell View Post
 I have to admit, I'm also really paranoid after reading about Tutu's loss. I wouldn't be surprised if I'm not the only one.

Yep.  Hiccups are the worst. 

My baby isn't moving much this morning.  She flailed a little once, so I know she's in there, but I wish she'd wake up a little more.  

heartbeat.gif  Baby girl arrived 10/11/11 heartbeat.gif

#14 of 29 Old 09-18-2011, 12:35 PM

Ok, we are all tripping here!!!!! At least we are in good company.

Nicole, just so you know, as a Labor and Delivery nurse, when we get a mom in so often for concerns after a loss or losses, our tone is more of sympathy and gladness to help reassure. So really, don't give it a second thought if you need to go in. smile.gif

Wife to DHluxlove.gif DS 98thumb.gif DD 03flower.gif DS 09 babyf.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

She is here!!! Oct 5th!!!joy.gif

#15 of 29 Old 09-18-2011, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Bythelake - thanks so much! That makes me feel a lot better. I jet felt so stupid last time when I went in and it was bh. I had never had them so I was sure it was an infection. Early labor or something.
She is moving just enough that it prob meets the kick count criteria. It is more shifting than kicking. Hoping it picks up tomorrow

#16 of 29 Old 09-18-2011, 08:00 PM

About a week ago the same thing happened to me!  Baby was super quiet, I could really just get enough for a kick count.  I went to the dr the next day (that's when it was scheduled) and I was able to rest assured that the baby was alive.  This week though baby is back to being crazy again!  I don't know if it was a phase or what but I have to say its nice to have the movement back again.

Tricia
Canadian Mama to E 2yrs
Someone new coming October!
#17 of 29 Old 09-18-2011, 09:58 PM

I also had this happen this week. I actually went on to have a nonreactive NST, with a cap of baby going off the monitors completely. A quick u/s showed that the placenta was basically in the way. They sent me to the hospital and I scored 8/8 on the BPP.

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

#18 of 29 Old 09-19-2011, 05:56 AM

Alexis, that must have scared you. I am SO glad it turned out ok.

Rosemary, married  mama to Pascal 3/08 and expecting #2 on Halloween.
#19 of 29 Old 09-19-2011, 06:26 AM

DDC from the Nov. due date club, but your post was so timely for me! I'm just about 34 weeks and spent yesterday in church doing kick counts and squeezing my DHs hand out of stress. When we got to church I realized I hadn't felt her move all morning (and she'd been hiccuping all day the day before...and I'd read about Tutus loss, so it was on my mind) so I started to panic. For the first 15 minutes or so I didn't feel anything and was literally sweating, thinking, "I'm going to give her until the end of the service and then go call my OB." Sure enough she started kicking and did 10 kicks in less than a few minutes. And today she's super active again. 

Then after the service there is a coffee break and we ran into the minister (I think that's what we are supposed to call him...this is a UU church) and he asked how I was feeling and I burst into this whole explanation of kick counts and fetal movement and fear of loss. He doesn't have any kids and I could tell he was expecting the bland "Oh I'm feeling good, just a bit tired!" kind of response. Instead he got the crazy pregnant lady responsedizzy.gif-

#20 of 29 Old 09-19-2011, 07:17 AM

Once in awhile, the baby will seem to barely move for a whole day. I panic, lay there forcing her to wiggle, and then all freaking night and the next day she is just about non-stop! I notice I get a little bigger after these episodes. I eventually figured she's resting up for a growth spurt. It's VERY scary, though!! Dh told me one day though, if he wakes during the night, he scoots over to me so my belly is on his back or  he lays his arm on my belly and he doesn't see how I can sleep through "all that". That made me feel SO MUCH BETTER knowing she's up partying all night. Apparantly this is almost every night, even when I've worried during that day about the decreased movements. There's the reason babies are born and sleep so much during the day and not so much at night yet :)

I was told that any movement counts, even hiccups, and hiccups are a good, healthy sign(for babies that get frequent hiccups. that doesn't mean if your baby doesn't get them it's bad!)

drowning in hormones with 4 daughters and an understanding, loving hubby. also some dogs. my life is crazy and we are always learning.

#21 of 29 Old 09-19-2011, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter

She was up all night doing her usual aerobic routine so I feel much better. This pal stuff is really kicking my butt. Glad I am not the only paranoid wackadoo out there wink1.gif

#22 of 29 Old 09-19-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboysmama View Post

Glad I am not the only paranoid wackadoo out there wink1.gif

You can add me to that list too. I really don't remember freaking out like this while pregnant with DS...this time it's constant paranoia.

Seems like my baby has been doing the same thing as a lot of yours - a few days of being active followed by a few days of sleepiness...I've very nearly called the doc several times, but baby seems to start moving again just as a decide to call. When I mentioned it to my chiropractor this morning, she had an interesting thought - she said that baby might be moving around less because *I* need more energy as I'm trying to fight off a cold.

Scary thing happened the other day - baby was moving around and had been hiccuping for several minutes, then all the sudden the hiccups and movement both stopped at the same time. I totally freaked out. Thankfully, a snack and some ice water got him/her moving again (several long minutes later)...not much, but enough for me to know everything was ok.

Wife to my hubby and SAHM to two boys -  DS1 (2) and DS2 (newborn).  Forever missing our three angels in Heaven. 

#23 of 29 Old 09-19-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowdart View Post

Yep.  Hiccups are the worst. 

My baby isn't moving much this morning.  She flailed a little once, so I know she's in there, but I wish she'd wake up a little more.  

I'll admit, i've been paying a little more attention to this too. And movement in general...I've done the stress/kick test several times now.

Mama to Reuben (8) and Zeke (7)fencing.gif and baby girl, Lötte babyf.gif
Illustrator/designer of children's media and rubber stamps.  blogging.jpg

#24 of 29 Old 09-19-2011, 02:22 PM

Seriously, so glad I am not the only paranoid one.  In this pregnancy I've had bleeding episodes at 11 weeks, 24 weeks and 26.5 weeks with spotting that lasted sometimes weeks to a month afterward... so I've worried a lot and any time I don't feel her moving I don't just think "oh she's asleep", I think "oh no, she's not okay" or even the morbid and insidious "she's dead".  Reading about Tutu and others' losses make me just so sad and then I obsess about the fact that there's still no sure thing, even this late in pregnancy. 

Regardless of my fears, baby Helena is a mover and a shaker - she's almost always moving, so pretty much every time I'm freaking out I just prod a bit and then she starts moving again.  I've started doing kick counts, but once she starts moving it becomes a moot point.

I talked to my midwife about it and she thinks that especially with the big scare at 11 weeks (lots of blood) when I had to "get okay" with the possibility of losing the baby I possibly disassociated myself emotionally from her.  After that I was always thinking that the continuing pregnancy was too good to be true.  She suggested I meet with her colleague (who is also a friend of a friend) who is a doula and a therapist to see if I can work through those feelings and be ready for (another) positive birth experience and meeting my baby!  It looks like this woman works with EFT and EMDR - very cool stuff - I've had a couple friends go to her and really feel like they got a lot out of it.  To read more you can check out: http://innerbalance.co.cr/inner-balance-biofeedback.html

Just in case anyone else actually feels that they need to "heal" emotionally before having a positive birth experience and meeting their healthy babies...

Much love and positive thoughts for all you beautiful mamas!!!!

Mama to Gabriel (1-10-2009) and newborn Helena (10-9-2011) h20homebirth.gif with DP Julio.  ...cloth diapering, attachment parenting, infant EC-ing, etc.

#25 of 29 Old 09-19-2011, 02:44 PM

Count me in as paranoid.  

It's funny because I had these fears with DD and then when she was born, it switched to about a month of feeling like the world was a giant, dangerous place full of terrible things that could happen to  my tiny little baby.  I would be walking through a store with her, constantly picturing the most terrible (absurd) things that could possibly happen - i.e. that person over there could spill their hot coffee on her, the roof could cave in, someone could snatch her and run) - totally unreasonable anxiety.

I think it was easier than the pregnancy worries though - at least when they're on the outside you can SEE them and know that they're okay - even if that means sitting up all night watching them breathe!

saritajoy likes this.

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

#26 of 29 Old 09-19-2011, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

I really do appreciate all of the support I have received and seeing that others are having similar issues. This entire pg has been nerve wracking and it has been a picture perfect pg. My 2 most recent losses are so recent that it is hard to see how this is going to work out. Plus I still really need my loss support groups so I get to hear a variety of losses at a variety of ages that just gives me new things to think about.
I just can't wait to meet my lo and stay up all night watching her breath, sure beats the sleepless nights I was having a yr ago after my son passed.
Again thanks so much for all of the support and helping me to not feel so alone.
Boo has resumed heir reg activity beginning with her all night aerobics session, a small break, calisthenics as I woke up, then sleeping a majority of the day with just enough shifts and kicks for me to not worry (well, not too much, lol) joy.gif

#27 of 29 Old 09-20-2011, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katico View Post

Count me in as paranoid.  

It's funny because I had these fears with DD and then when she was born, it switched to about a month of feeling like the world was a giant, dangerous place full of terrible things that could happen to  my tiny little baby.  I would be walking through a store with her, constantly picturing the most terrible (absurd) things that could possibly happen - i.e. that person over there could spill their hot coffee on her, the roof could cave in, someone could snatch her and run) - totally unreasonable anxiety.

I think it was easier than the pregnancy worries though - at least when they're on the outside you can SEE them and know that they're okay - even if that means sitting up all night watching them breathe!

ok, I do this. and so does my sister. I imagine the worst disaster possible-and although my boys are 7 and 8, I still do it now and then with them. It's awful, the things the disasters and horror that you can construct in your own mind!
My sister has a really steep staircase, and although neither of her children have ever fallen down, she often imagines one of them laying lifeless at the bottom. Or, she imagines falling down herself, while holding a baby.
Part of it's annoying, but i'm sure part of it is motherly instinct/foresight as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboysmama View Post

Boo has resumed heir reg activity beginning with her all night aerobics session, a small break, calisthenics as I woke up, then sleeping a majority of the day with just enough shifts and kicks for me to not worry (well, not too much, lol) joy.gif

I'm going to MISS this.

Mama to Reuben (8) and Zeke (7)fencing.gif and baby girl, Lötte babyf.gif
Illustrator/designer of children's media and rubber stamps.  blogging.jpg

#28 of 29 Old 09-20-2011, 12:31 PM

I just wanted to report back on the session I had today where the therapist did EMDR with me (eye movement desensitization and reprocessing).  So far I think that for anyone who has experienced loss or even a potential loss, it may be worthwhile to look into.  I haven't gone in for talk therapy since a divorce years ago, but this was very different.  It was a very casual and intimate session, with someone I immediately felt comfortable with.  Let me try to explain it briefly:

Basically we went back and re-visited moments of stress or trauma that are affecting me and my outlook today.  While I talked about the points in this pregnancy when I thought I was losing the baby, she did an odd knee tapping action that (supposedly) connected my mind in a different way to the experiences.  In the end she led me through a visualization of a positive birth experience with this baby. 

Afterward I felt like the experience was very subtle and gentle, while allowing me to shift my way of thinking about this pregnancy and baby.  I just arrived home from the appointment, so haven't had much time to process, but right now I feel like it was very worthwhile.

Hugs to you all and positive thoughts for healthy babies and beautiful peaceful births!

Mama to Gabriel (1-10-2009) and newborn Helena (10-9-2011) h20homebirth.gif with DP Julio.  ...cloth diapering, attachment parenting, infant EC-ing, etc.

#29 of 29 Old 09-20-2011, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

sarita- thanks for sharing. I have heard good things about EMDR over on the loss boards but haven't ever tried it. I am doing talk therapy that is working fairly well. I don't think my insurance will cover EMDR :( or else I would definately give it a try.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page