BTDT Mamas: When did your weird pregnancy symptoms go away after the birth? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 09-18-2011, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've got all this fairly mild but annoying normal pregnancy stuff going on - constantly numb fingertips, sore back, swolen ankles, sore back, sore hips, etc. and I'm really starting to look forward to when I have my baby and this stuff goes away.  So, mamas who have given birth before, when did your various symptoms go away for you (if you had them at all)?  When did your carpal tunnel resolve?  When did you feel good sleeping on your belly again?  When did your heartburn go away?  When did your ankles look normal again?  What did your belly feel like after you gave birth?  ...and so forth.

Also: what new post-partum aches and pains did you have, and how long did they last?

heartbeat.gif  Baby girl arrived 10/11/11 heartbeat.gif

#2 of 15 Old 09-18-2011, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

The post-partum period was so rough for me that I honestly couldn't tell you when the mild in comparison pregnancy stuff went away. Sorry to scare you. I had a 3rd degree tear & was VERY uncomfortable for a few weeks.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#3 of 15 Old 09-18-2011, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

That's terrible!  Maybe I'm being too optimistic. 

heartbeat.gif  Baby girl arrived 10/11/11 heartbeat.gif

#4 of 15 Old 09-18-2011, 04:24 PM
~pi

I had a complicated labour that ended in a cesarean, so it took quite a while before I felt back to normal. Some of the pregnancy stuff went away pretty quickly, but there were new postpartum issues to deal with.

I'd say it took a few months before I started feeling back to normal. Much to my dismay, it took even longer than that until I could start sleeping on my front again, thanks to milk-filled breasts and a painful incision.

Some women bounce back really quickly, though.

One of the reasons I've been so active this pregnancy is that it's one of the few things I can do to hopefully recover more easily this time.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#5 of 15 Old 09-18-2011, 04:42 PM

I felt SO much better after giving birth!

I had carpal tunnal, bad swelling, spd, serious heartburn - all of that really went away almost immediately.

I did have a wierd pain in one hip for a couple of weeks afterwards - it hurt to walk very far but then that went away overnight too.

I honestly was really worried about postpartum healing - I was afraid it would be horrible and painful and things would never feel the same again.  Honestly, I had a really easy time of it.  I had a small tear with a few stitches and the usual swelling etc...but we actually did the deed at,,,hmm, less than 3 weeks pp...and it was fine - it hurt a little bit so we gave it another couple of weeks before we tried again.  

So yeah...it's not FUN, but it certainly wasn't as bad as I thought it would be - and it was really, really nice for all that annoying pregnancy stuff to go away!!

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

#6 of 15 Old 09-18-2011, 06:36 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

I think that because DH and I dtd before 6 weeks, and I wasn't fully healed yet, I ended up getting an infection, and seriously, for 8 months sex felt like a sharp knife until I made an appointment (midwives kept saying, "oh, you're still healing, give it time") but it was a VERY bad infection that needed abx.

Making a March 9th sandwich with a Halloween filling.
#7 of 15 Old 09-18-2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryS-F View Post

I think that because DH and I dtd before 6 weeks, and I wasn't fully healed yet, I ended up getting an infection, and seriously, for 8 months sex felt like a sharp knife until I made an appointment (midwives kept saying, "oh, you're still healing, give it time") but it was a VERY bad infection that needed abx.

greensad.gif

Wife to DHluxlove.gif DS 98thumb.gif DD 03flower.gif DS 09 babyf.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

She is here!!! Oct 5th!!!joy.gif

#8 of 15 Old 09-18-2011, 07:11 PM

The heartburn, swelling, hip pain and back aches went away almost immediately. With my second baby, I had an epidural and had the worst back pain at the epidural site for 6 months + postpartum. The only lingering thing was a nerve issue in my back where my leg would go numb while I was walking and I'd kind of stumble and almost fall. It resolved on it's own in the first year and happened after my second and third babies. Carpal tunnel is more of an issue in this pg than ever before and I guess it will take a couple of weeks to resolve. As for how my stomach felt after birth, are you talking about pain or something else? My beautiful baby belly deflated almost immediately and I'm almost grossed out about the loose, squishy tummy that remains. Pain wise, the after pains can be a bit rough, but stop about one week postpartum. I'm usually able to sleep on my belly immediately, except if my breasts are painful or engorged. A lot of the pg related discomforts resolve almost immediately, but don't expect to feel "back to normal" for a while. Sometimes, you just have to make peace with the fact that there's a new normal for your body and you'll never quite feel the same as before you got pg.
#9 of 15 Old 09-19-2011, 02:47 AM

yellowdart -- Most of the symptoms you mentioned will probably recede really soon; the heartburn, the swelling, the various aches and pains. Sometimes in pregnancy I think we shift our weight and begin to carry ourselves differently, which in turn can lead to *different* aches and pains once we deliver, but for the most part I think things balance out again fairly quickly.

No way of telling how you'll do as far as healing "down there," or if you have a c-section that's a different thing (though I would say even my experience there has not been nearly as bad as some I've read about -- just follow your doc's instructions to a T and take it *slooooooooooooowly!*

As for the belly -- I have to say that was the biggest shocker of all. I was completely unprepared for how poochy and mushy it would be (and for how long), and one thing no one really mentions is how your belly being so big can make the rest of you look small by comparison ... so when the belly goes away I'm always like, "Oooooh, so *that's* where all those bagels and cream cheese went. Everywhere but my belly!" irked.gif

You also may have night sweats for a little while, and other random delights.

For me, the bottom line this time is, quite frankly, to try my best to take excellent care of myself nutritionally and to not really look in the mirror (not under bright lights, anyway) for a week or two. Not that there's anything wrong with looking, just saying it can be alarming and really, I have better things to do -- like sleep!

#10 of 15 Old 09-19-2011, 05:31 AM

lol, newyorkmommy. this is all very true for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkmommy View Post

yellowdart -- Most of the symptoms you mentioned will probably recede really soon; the heartburn, the swelling, the various aches and pains. Sometimes in pregnancy I think we shift our weight and begin to carry ourselves differently, which in turn can lead to *different* aches and pains once we deliver, but for the most part I think things balance out again fairly quickly.

No way of telling how you'll do as far as healing "down there," or if you have a c-section that's a different thing (though I would say even my experience there has not been nearly as bad as some I've read about -- just follow your doc's instructions to a T and take it *slooooooooooooowly!*

As for the belly -- I have to say that was the biggest shocker of all. I was completely unprepared for how poochy and mushy it would be (and for how long), and one thing no one really mentions is how your belly being so big can make the rest of you look small by comparison ... so when the belly goes away I'm always like, "Oooooh, so *that's* where all those bagels and cream cheese went. Everywhere but my belly!" irked.gif

You also may have night sweats for a little while, and other random delights.

For me, the bottom line this time is, quite frankly, to try my best to take excellent care of myself nutritionally and to not really look in the mirror (not under bright lights, anyway) for a week or two. Not that there's anything wrong with looking, just saying it can be alarming and really, I have better things to do -- like sleep!

I had uncomplicated vaginal deliveries with no interventions. Most of the pregnancy-related symptoms go away quickly. BUT.

I had lots of sweating and some edema PP (never had it pregnant). Lots of thirst and hunger. Like crazy ravenous hunger more than I ever felt pregnant. Second time around I knew to have plenty of healthy snacks available. I could not sleep comfortably on my belly due to engorged breasts for several months with the first, with the second, that resolved much more quickly.

My mom lined under my bed sheets with towels- and I slept on some more flat dipes and stuff. For me... my breasts leak (I wear a bra with disposible pads even to bed), you are bleeding, and I also was sweating a lot. Its a moist situation in bed for sure. And baby is a pee-and-poop factory too.

Hips are still loose for a while, and while I like to get up and walk around pretty quickly, definitely you will not feel yourself. Taking it slow is good- listen to your body.

As for soreness and swelling "down there"... I had a minor tear and stitches the first time, nothing that required stitches with the second. Still it took a while to feel "normal". With my second the MWs had my mom cook up a HUGE pot of PP herbs which we strained and kept in the fridge. Then I would make a peri-bottle with half hot water and half herb wash, and use that every time I went to the bathroom. It helped so much! Once that ran out, I still used the peri bottle with warm water, and with about 1/5 of it hydrogen peroxide. I think I did that about a week and I swear it helped with the healing greatly.

I think a couple of companies make pre-mixed herbal remedies for post-partum bath, but here is the "recipe" my previous MWs gave me which I will probably try to have on hand for this pregnancy too: 1 oz. each of Comfrey Leaf, Comfrey Root, Rosemary Leaf, Calendula and Lavendar, 1/2 oz. of Golden Seal root, a garlic bulb and sea salt. 

dissertating mom to three

#11 of 15 Old 09-19-2011, 05:54 AM

This happened to me, too. I actually posted in my ddc about how my baby was wetting out of his diapers and getting it all over me, and could anybody please recommend a better diaper, etc., until I realized it was actually my boobs. Now I have some "incontinence" bed pads coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmaegbert View Post

My mom lined under my bed sheets with towels- and I slept on some more flat dipes and stuff. For me... my breasts leak (I wear a bra with disposible pads even to bed), you are bleeding, and I also was sweating a lot. Its a moist situation in bed for sure. And baby is a pee-and-poop factory too.

#12 of 15 Old 09-19-2011, 07:05 AM

Some things were gone right after the birth...SPD, heartburn. Others took a few days...my face had gotten pretty fat with #1(but not the rest of me, and it wasn't pre-e or anything), and I had horrible acne(also with #1), and after a few days my face was normal. As for sleeping on my belly...I had no urge to sleep on my belly at all after #3 for about 8 years, until I was pregnant with #4 lol And really in the beginning it's just not really something that's easy to do, what with the logistics of breastfeeding/cosleeping. It just wasn't an issue for me as I didn't want to be on my belly anyway. With #3 I had SPD and ever since then my hips ache if I don't sleep with a pillow between my legs. That's not been a big deal, either, as I have a body pillow and just use that. Or hang my leg on dh.

My bowels were back to normal within days, though that first BM is scary!!

It is good to read some of you warning about all the leakiness...bleeding, milk, sweating...I slept with rags and just tucked them under my breast as needed. And the hunger!! Oh my!

drowning in hormones with 4 daughters and an understanding, loving hubby. also some dogs. my life is crazy and we are always learning.

#13 of 15 Old 09-19-2011, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplerose View Post

My bowels were back to normal within days, though that first BM is scary!!

It is scary!  But it wasn't actually so bad, IME - I was scared of it but it didn't really hurt when it happened!

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

#14 of 15 Old 09-19-2011, 07:22 AM

Yeah- it was scary before is what I meant. But it was just fine during. All 3 of my first postpartum bm's were painless but I was scared beforehand that they would hurt. LOL Oh the things we talk about! I will probably be nervous this time, too, despite knowing it'll be ok. That's a sensitive area.

drowning in hormones with 4 daughters and an understanding, loving hubby. also some dogs. my life is crazy and we are always learning.

#15 of 15 Old 09-19-2011, 07:25 AM

Eh, mine hurt since I was still so sore and puffy--any pressure was hard.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page