Question about RH factor and placenta consumption... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-19-2011, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just curious, for those of you who have had placentas encapsulated (or eaten them in smoothies etc) if any of you were RH-, and the placenta you consumed was that of you RH + baby?
I don't know why, but this question just popped into my head today. Would it matter?
I would think that digestion would take care of it..but who knows.

I didn't have rhogam with this baby, but i'll be taking it after if the baby is +.
My midwife is new to the idea of placenta consumption-so she had little advice in this department. (I think she may have gagged a little...)

Mama to Reuben (8) and Zeke (7)fencing.gif and baby girl, Lötte babyf.gif
Illustrator/designer of children's media and rubber stamps.  blogging.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2011, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Nevermind, I found the answer. (Emailed an expert!)
She says:

1. it is a completely different route to feto-maternal exposure which is directly into the bloodstream.
2. Our GI tracts break down proteins so that they don't cause immune recognition and reactions. For example, we often eat the meat of another species."

Old 09-19-2011, 01:00 PM

Interesting question- I'm also RH-, didn't have prenatal rhogam, and am planning on encapsulating the placenta.  I never would have given a thought to this question, but my other instinct is that especially with encapsulation, everything has been heated and dried, so in a very different form.  But thank you for claring that one up!

Amy, feathering our nest with sweet husband O and baby girl, P (October 2011). 
Old 09-19-2011, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

I'm not planning on encapsulating...just cutting into small chunks and freezing for smoothies. I would encapsulate, but it costs so much-and I want some benefits immediately.
I'd try encapsulating it myself, but that seems like a lot to take on in the first days after birth.

Old 09-19-2011, 02:50 PM

I was planning on encapsulating myself, but holding still the option open that maybe a nice stirfry with garlic might actually sound good after birth!  I admire you though!!!  I agree with you about wanting the benefits though!  :)

Old 09-19-2011, 03:23 PM

I'm also rh- and freezing for smoothies. I hadn't thought of this. Thanks for finding out - makes sense..

Nicole treehugger.gif  Busy with my two boys.jog.gifdiaper.gif  The 'big boy' too. peace.gifOh, and a sweet baby girl, born at home in October. love.gif

Old 09-20-2011, 12:14 AM

I'm not a huge proponent of placenta-eating, 'cause I'm a huge skeptic on most things.

Most prep methods involve a pretty serious removal of blood. It just doesn't taste good, for fresh preps. And it's not the beneficial part in a dehydrated form.
And ingestion fixes all. Heating is a further denaturing step.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

Old 09-20-2011, 06:05 AM

Jane... Have you tried it before? I have done fresh prep via smoothy on several occasions and can't taste the placenta at all. I have heard this from other women as well. The key is to just use a few thumb nail size chunks at a time. I personally have found many benefits: uterus fully contracted after 5 days and the pp bleeding stopped by that time, increased energy, decreased pp depression, increased milk supply, overall felt much better much quicker after, etc. All of these in comparison to my first 2 births where I didn't consume the placenta. I encapsulated with my third birth and the benefits were quicker and significantly more noticeable with #4and#5 where I did smoothies. I do agree the less prep you do to it the more effective.

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

Old 09-20-2011, 07:11 AM

What else did you use in your smoothies, theboysmama? I would love to make it so I won't taste the placenta.

Nicole treehugger.gif  Busy with my two boys.jog.gifdiaper.gif  The 'big boy' too. peace.gifOh, and a sweet baby girl, born at home in October. love.gif

Old 09-20-2011, 07:48 AM

Theboysmama, I agree- how did you make the smoothies?  I'm definitely open to trying it, but would love to know how often you made smoothies, and how you prepared them. 

Old 09-20-2011, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

I've heard from enough people that the benefits are amazing, both encapsulated and raw...so i'm definitely going to try it. And in the smoothie method, I think i'll live with the raw variety;) (Definitely cheaper too, and a lot less prep work!)

haha, i'm thinking if I froze really tiny pieces, I could probably swallow them with water like a pill and not even taste them.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:27 AM

To prepare the smoothies you rinse the placenta and remove the cord and any membranes. Chop the placenta into bite size pieces (about the size of your thumb from your top knuckle to the top of your thumb). Put the prepared pieces in an air tight container (like a ziplock or Tupperware). It can remain in the fridge for 4 or 5 days. My mw does all of that for me at no extra charge. Then place the remainder on a cookie sheet and freeze. Once frozen place in a freezer safe container (like a ziplock) and continue to prepare smoothies as before.
For my smoothies I put in rice milk (I'm allergic to dairy), banana and red berries (like raspberries, strawberries, etc) and 2-3 placenta pieces. If u r worried about chunks you can drink it through a straw but I have never had any issues. I have a smoothies immediately after birt then continue to have 1 in the morning and 1 at night for 3-5 days then just 1 a day until it is all gone.

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

Old 09-26-2011, 06:48 PM

I'm about to be a first time mom, and I decided to do encapsulation.  It's very nice to hear from so many people that it really does help!

Old 09-26-2011, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy May View Post

I was planning on encapsulating myself, but holding still the option open that maybe a nice stirfry with garlic might actually sound good after birth! 

jaw2.gif

DS arrived 3/10/10, DD arrived 3/13/13, and a third will be joining us around 5/20/14. pos.gif

User Tag List