Mothering Forum banner

"Going Home Outfits" - please share!

4K views 60 replies 25 participants last post by  sorprendida11 
#1 ·
So, inspired by Rosemary's adorable outfit options in the crafty thread, I would love to hear about and/or see what you are all planning to bring your babies home in, or dress them in after birth! (I really need things to distract me right now
lol.gif
)

So, here are the two options I'm bringing with us:

First, if she's as tiny as DD was, I have knit this little outfit for her, all pale blue and very soft, plus a little white kimono shirt underneath

mosaiced921f2d29fb6d6a2ae2c14cab4048e2f6419336 (1).jpg

If she's a bit bigger, I've also packed this outfit (worn by DD when she was about 2 wks old)

3554222117_96865125fc_b.jpg

See less See more
#4 ·
So pretty, Beth. I love them both!

I'm not sure what we're doing for a first outfit yet. Hopefully, it won't be a 'coming home' outfit though, as I'm hoping to have her at home.

Here are some tiny woolies I have that I want to make sure she wears before they're too small. They're so little!

012.JPG

And then I have a cute LS pink shirt that says 'Home Born'. So, maybe that. I also have some really cute white knits that I love - booties, sweater, hat..

Decisions, decisions..

#6 ·
Aww, look how tiny those pants are!! I know - tough decisions, right?
lol.gif
I swear, DD and I played dress-up for months with her tiny clothes......ok....so maybe I still play dress up with her - it's just too much fun!!!

#7 ·
the outfit I brought to the birth center for my first was totally kind of roomy on him.

since we are planning a HB, I will just have a nightie (open bottom long gown style... I LOVE those for the first while) and hat ready, and a couple of clean receiving blankets for swaddling. I did order 2 Kate Quinn nightgowns, I love those. A bunch of people are telling me that they have baby clothes for me but NONE have materialized and I am 36 weeks tomorrow, yikes. If by October 2- the day before I am full term-- I don't have stuff yet I guess I'll go shopping.

I need to make some soakers/longies but I plan to use paper dipes the first week or two anyway.

#9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katico View Post

Oh goodness - I just looked up the Kate Quinn site.....so sweet! Those nightgowns are adorable! The colours and prints! So nice!
they are the best! I had 3 hand-me-down ones for #2 and she wore them ALL the time. And they fit her for a really long time (and she was big- 9lbs). That is what I usually give as baby presents now. (though... I only ever buy the sale prints/colors...) I really avoid overtly gendered clothes as much as possible, plus we don't find out in advance anyway... and this is one of the only places I've seen with gorgeous, colorful, gender-neutral clothing for infants.

#11 ·
katico, STOP -- you knit those? I'm still getting over your Christmas preparedness, and now you hit me with this.
Sheepish.gif

I have no photos, but for our little one I'm taking a couple of well-loved outfits handed down from one of my SILs. Since this baby will likely be a tad smaller than the others due to the earlier delivery date, I thought one if her preemie outfits would be good. Even if it has a stain on the front. Am I a terrible mom? The other is in better condition but a little bigger, like regular newborn size.

#12 ·
haha NewYorkMommy, you sound more like me. Really, I have, um, nothing for this baby to wear other than the two nighties I bought. I am not exaggerating. I think living in NYC forces people to just be minimalists in terms of belongings??

And Katico. OMG. Its true, those knitted clothes are gorgeous. I can't even look at the crafty mama thread- seriously I can't open it up. I am, in theory, crafty, but my life does not include any spare time AT ALL nor any kid-free work areas or materials. Its just not part of my life at the moment. I will be a very crafty grandmother some day (or maybe Aunt, my sister is 9 years younger than me)

I did find 2 receiving blankets being used as packing for stuff in storage. So, just have to get them into the laundry rotation and then set aside into the birth-supplies bin (or whatever... I am not sure what I'll use for that yet. I like Jane's suggestion of a laundry basket).

#13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkmommy View Post

katico, STOP -- you knit those? I'm still getting over your Christmas preparedness, and now you hit me with this.
Sheepish.gif

I have no photos, but for our little one I'm taking a couple of well-loved outfits handed down from one of my SILs. Since this baby will likely be a tad smaller than the others due to the earlier delivery date, I thought one if her preemie outfits would be good. Even if it has a stain on the front. Am I a terrible mom? The other is in better condition but a little bigger, like regular newborn size.
Thank you
innocent.gif

Re: Stains - all new baby clothes are only T-1wear from stains anyway, right?
lol.gif
Having something that actually fits is great!

DD was 7lb, not what I think of as a super tiny baby, but none of the "newborn" clothes fit her for a solid month! So this time around I was determined to have a bunch of things in the littlest/preemie sizes, even if she's bigger and they only fit her for a week or so - I really like to dress babies up
lol.gif
So, I knit a bunch of teeny things and I found lots at the thrift in preemie sizes, I wish I had known to get some smaller things the first time around!

#14 ·
My babe's outfit is packed away in the hospital bag, but it's a plain white onesie, these pants in the brown and white stripes, two little jersey hat options (solid pink or a pink print), three socks options, and a swaddle blankie. The pants are 3-6 mo which will probably be hilariously wrong, but I thought I could probably roll up the legs. Maybe I should invest in some newborn pants.

#15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowdart View Post

My babe's outfit is packed away in the hospital bag, but it's a plain white onesie, these pants in the brown and white stripes, two little jersey hat options (solid pink or a pink print), three socks options, and a swaddle blankie. The pants are 3-6 mo which will probably be hilariously wrong, but I thought I could probably roll up the legs. Maybe I should invest in some newborn pants.
Pants are definitely hard to fudge if they're too big - Lila probably started wearing 3-6 months at.....4 or 5 months old? and then she wore them for quite a long time!

Here's a picture of her, a month old, wearing "newborn" pants - they were stretch capri leggings (and supposed to fit rather tightly) but at a month they still swam on her! And even though they were capri length, they were practically full pants on her!

3586806924_29c2e286b6_b.jpg

This time I also picked up some of these pants from Old Navy - I think they'll be small enough for the first couple of months

http://oldnavy.gapcanada.ca/browse/product.do?cid=41942&vid=1&pid=870686&scid=870686013

#17 ·
448The koi shirt should be too big. But the skeleton outfit seems right. And a joeybunz orange diaper. We're planning a homebirth, so I don't think baby will be dressed for a while. But I like seeing the outfits.

#18 ·
I packed in a laundry basket--I almost always do, if I'm going on a road trip or overnight because then I can just get at everything and it holds so much. Not pretty, but really functional for me.

Katico, sounds like our DC are similar. Everyone said not to bother with newborn clothes, they wear them for a week and then never again, but that was not our experience. He was 7lb12oz but looong and therefore thin. Still is! I've just listed some of his nicer clothing on ebay--some 18-24 month pants that are STILL too large on the waist, but now are too short.

#20 ·
Jane, this makes me so happy!! Adorable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane View Post

448The koi shirt should be too big. But the skeleton outfit seems right. And a joeybunz orange diaper. We're planning a homebirth, so I don't think baby will be dressed for a while. But I like seeing the outfits.

#21 ·
Jane- that skeleton outfit is the same one we have for the going home outfit
orngbiggrin.gif
I had dh pick out what he wanted the baby to wear home. His choice was that one (in size newborn) or, on the off chance this baby is too big for newborn clothes (ds was, didn't fit in newborn clothes or newborn diapers when he was born!) then we have a back-up outfit.... a 0-3 month grey onesie that says "I *heart* daddy" and a pair of blue pants. The onesie was what I bought shortly before I found out I was pregnant and I wrapped it up and gave it to dh when I got the positive test, to tell him I was pregnant
love.gif
We also are bringing this outfit to the hospital. After Sunburst is born and cleaned up we will put him in this outfit for when ds meets him for the first time.

We only have 4 newborn outfits (the skeleton, little brother outfit and 2 little footie sleepers). I don't anticipate this one will be wearing newborn for very long, so it works for us (though I do feel like Sunburst will be smaller than ds was, I'm guessing he'll be between 7-8lb.... ds was 8lb14oz). The 2 footie sleepers I bought for $.50 each at a consignment shop, the skeleton outfit was on clearance last fall for less than $2 and the little brother outfit was a splurge (but still on sale... because I'm cheap)
lol.gif

#22 ·
Ooo! We got a 0-3 mo size of the skeleton one as a gift! I fear it will be too large at birth though so we'll most likely be going with a had-decorated squid onsie and swaddle blanket. Perhaps the guitar blanket from the same person who gave us the skeleton suit (she's a guitar and mandolin player.)

#25 ·
Urchin, that is so cute! What nice bright cheerful colors!

We got a skeleton suit for our baby too. It glows in the dark. :D I can't wait.

Katico, that picture of your DD is completely adorable. I want one! Yeah, I'm totally gonna get some real newborn pants.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.