"Going Home Outfits" - please share! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 61 Old 09-23-2011, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So, inspired by Rosemary's adorable outfit options in the crafty thread, I would love to hear about  and/or see what you are all planning to bring your babies home in, or dress them in after birth!   (I really need things to distract me right now lol.gif )

So, here are the two options I'm bringing with us:

First, if she's as tiny as DD was, I have knit this little outfit for her, all pale blue and very soft, plus a little white kimono shirt underneath

mosaiced921f2d29fb6d6a2ae2c14cab4048e2f6419336 (1).jpg

If she's a bit bigger, I've also packed this outfit (worn by DD when she was about 2 wks old)

3554222117_96865125fc_b.jpg

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

#2 of 61 Old 09-23-2011, 08:44 AM

Adorable! Now I'm going to be forced to get off my butt and go upstairs to take pictures. Darn it. lol.gif

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#3 of 61 Old 09-23-2011, 07:40 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Oh my, I just saw this! I am in love. With both. With the blue! More people post!

Rosemary, married  mama to Pascal 3/08 and expecting #2 on Halloween.
#4 of 61 Old 09-24-2011, 04:57 AM

So pretty, Beth. I love them both!

I'm not sure what we're doing for a first outfit yet. Hopefully, it won't be a 'coming home' outfit though, as I'm hoping to have her at home.

Here are some tiny woolies I have that I want to make sure she wears before they're too small. They're so little!

012.JPG

And then I have a cute LS pink shirt that says 'Home Born'. So, maybe that. I also have some really cute white knits that I love - booties, sweater, hat..

Decisions, decisions..

Nicole treehugger.gif  Busy with my two boys.jog.gifdiaper.gif  The 'big boy' too. peace.gifOh, and a sweet baby girl, born at home in October. love.gif

#5 of 61 Old 09-24-2011, 06:25 AM

Those are cute pants, Nicole. It's crazy how small stuff is and you actually have to plan to have them wear certain items so you can use them at all, huh? Two of my dresses are like that.

#6 of 61 Old 09-24-2011, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Aww, look how tiny those pants are!!  I know - tough decisions, right? lol.gif  I swear, DD and I played dress-up for months with her tiny clothes......ok....so maybe I still play dress up with her - it's just too much fun!!!

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

#7 of 61 Old 09-24-2011, 11:15 AM

the outfit I brought to the birth center for my first was totally kind of roomy on him.

since we are planning a HB, I will just have a nightie (open bottom long gown style... I LOVE those for the first while) and hat ready, and a couple of clean receiving blankets for swaddling. I did order 2 Kate Quinn nightgowns, I love those. A bunch of people are telling me that they have baby clothes for me but NONE have materialized and I am 36 weeks tomorrow, yikes. If by October 2- the day before I am full term-- I don't have stuff yet I guess I'll go shopping.

I need to make some soakers/longies but I plan to use paper dipes the first week or two anyway.

dissertating mom to three

#8 of 61 Old 09-24-2011, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Oh goodness - I just looked up the Kate Quinn site.....so sweet!  Those nightgowns are adorable!  The colours and prints! So nice!

#9 of 61 Old 09-24-2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katico View Post

Oh goodness - I just looked up the Kate Quinn site.....so sweet!  Those nightgowns are adorable!  The colours and prints! So nice!

they are the best! I had 3 hand-me-down ones for #2 and she wore them ALL the time. And they fit her for a really long time (and she was big- 9lbs). That is what I usually give as baby presents now. (though... I only ever buy the sale prints/colors...) I really avoid overtly gendered clothes as much as possible, plus we don't find out in advance anyway... and this is one of the only places I've seen with gorgeous, colorful, gender-neutral clothing for infants.

#10 of 61 Old 09-24-2011, 11:51 AM

I'd never heard of Kate Quinn stuff before. So adorable! Love the sleep sacs.

#11 of 61 Old 09-24-2011, 11:52 AM

katico, STOP -- you knit those? I'm still getting over your Christmas preparedness, and now you hit me with this. Sheepish.gif

I have no photos,  but for our little one I'm taking a couple of well-loved outfits handed down from one of my SILs. Since this baby will likely be a tad smaller than the others due to the earlier delivery date, I thought one if her preemie outfits would be good. Even if it has a stain on the front. Am I a terrible mom? The other is in better condition but a little bigger, like regular newborn size.

#12 of 61 Old 09-24-2011, 12:37 PM

haha NewYorkMommy, you sound more like me. Really, I have, um, nothing for this baby to wear other than the two nighties I bought. I am not exaggerating. I think living in NYC forces people to just be minimalists in terms of belongings??

And Katico. OMG. Its true, those knitted clothes are gorgeous. I can't even look at the crafty mama thread- seriously I can't open it up. I am, in theory, crafty, but my life does not include any spare time AT ALL nor any kid-free work areas or materials. Its just not part of my life at the moment. I will be a very crafty grandmother some day (or maybe Aunt, my sister is 9 years younger than me)

I did find 2 receiving blankets being used as packing for stuff in storage. So, just have to get them into the laundry rotation and then set aside into the birth-supplies bin (or whatever... I am not sure what I'll use for that yet. I like Jane's suggestion of a laundry basket).

#13 of 61 Old 09-24-2011, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkmommy View Post

katico, STOP -- you knit those? I'm still getting over your Christmas preparedness, and now you hit me with this. Sheepish.gif

I have no photos,  but for our little one I'm taking a couple of well-loved outfits handed down from one of my SILs. Since this baby will likely be a tad smaller than the others due to the earlier delivery date, I thought one if her preemie outfits would be good. Even if it has a stain on the front. Am I a terrible mom? The other is in better condition but a little bigger, like regular newborn size.

Thank you innocent.gif

Re: Stains - all new baby clothes are only T-1wear from stains anyway, right? lol.gif  Having something that actually fits is great!

DD was 7lb, not what I think of as a super tiny baby, but none of the "newborn" clothes  fit her for a solid month!  So this time around I was determined to have a bunch of things in the littlest/preemie sizes, even if she's bigger and they only fit her for a week or so - I really like to dress babies up lol.gif  So, I knit a bunch of teeny things and I found lots at the thrift in preemie sizes, I wish I had known to get some smaller things the first time around! 

#14 of 61 Old 09-24-2011, 01:52 PM

My babe's outfit is packed away in the hospital bag, but it's a plain white onesie, these pants in the brown and white stripes, two little jersey hat options (solid pink or a pink print), three socks options, and a swaddle blankie.  The pants are 3-6 mo which will probably be hilariously wrong, but I thought I could probably roll up the legs.  Maybe I should invest in some newborn pants.  

heartbeat.gif  Baby girl arrived 10/11/11 heartbeat.gif

#15 of 61 Old 09-24-2011, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowdart View Post

My babe's outfit is packed away in the hospital bag, but it's a plain white onesie, these pants in the brown and white stripes, two little jersey hat options (solid pink or a pink print), three socks options, and a swaddle blankie.  The pants are 3-6 mo which will probably be hilariously wrong, but I thought I could probably roll up the legs.  Maybe I should invest in some newborn pants.  

Pants are definitely hard to fudge if they're too big - Lila probably started wearing 3-6 months at.....4 or 5 months old?  and then she wore them for quite a long time!

Here's a picture of her, a month old, wearing "newborn" pants - they were stretch capri leggings (and supposed to fit rather tightly)  but at a month they still swam on her!  And even though they were capri length, they were practically full pants on her!

3586806924_29c2e286b6_b.jpg

This time I also picked up some of these pants from Old Navy - I think they'll be small enough for the first couple of months

http://oldnavy.gapcanada.ca/browse/product.do?cid=41942&vid=1&pid=870686&scid=870686013

#16 of 61 Old 09-24-2011, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

These are all so sweet. I have a couple of sleepers packed for the hospital. I honestly cannot even remember what we brought ds home in. Hmmmm...

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#17 of 61 Old 09-24-2011, 05:04 PM

448The koi shirt should be too big. But the skeleton outfit seems right. And a joeybunz orange diaper. We're planning a homebirth, so I don't think baby will be dressed for a while. But I like seeing the outfits.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#18 of 61 Old 09-24-2011, 05:28 PM

I packed in a laundry basket--I almost always do, if I'm going on a road trip or overnight because then I can just get at everything and it holds so much. Not pretty, but really functional for me.

Katico, sounds like our DC are similar. Everyone said not to bother with newborn clothes, they wear them for a week and then never again, but that was not our experience. He was 7lb12oz but looong and therefore thin. Still is! I've just listed some of his nicer clothing on ebay--some 18-24 month pants that are STILL too large on the waist, but now are too short.

#19 of 61 Old 09-24-2011, 05:29 PM

Jane, the koi shirt is perfect for you.

#20 of 61 Old 09-24-2011, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Jane, this  makes me so happy!!   Adorable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane View Post

448The koi shirt should be too big. But the skeleton outfit seems right. And a joeybunz orange diaper. We're planning a homebirth, so I don't think baby will be dressed for a while. But I like seeing the outfits.

#21 of 61 Old 09-24-2011, 08:13 PM

Jane- that skeleton outfit is the same one we have for the going home outfit orngbiggrin.gif I had dh pick out what he wanted the baby to wear home. His choice was that one (in size newborn) or, on the off chance this baby is too big for newborn clothes (ds was, didn't fit in newborn clothes or newborn diapers when he was born!) then we have a back-up outfit.... a 0-3 month grey onesie that says "I *heart* daddy" and a pair of blue pants. The onesie was what I bought shortly before I found out I was pregnant and I wrapped it up and gave it to dh when I got the positive test, to tell him I was pregnant love.gif We also are bringing this outfit to the hospital. After Sunburst is born and cleaned up we will put him in this outfit for when ds meets him for the first time.

We only have 4 newborn outfits (the skeleton, little brother outfit and 2 little footie sleepers). I don't anticipate this one will be wearing newborn for very long, so it works for us (though I do feel like Sunburst will be smaller than ds was, I'm guessing he'll be between 7-8lb.... ds was 8lb14oz). The 2 footie sleepers I bought for $.50 each at a consignment shop, the skeleton outfit was on clearance last fall for less than $2 and the little brother outfit was a splurge (but still on sale... because I'm cheap) lol.gif

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#22 of 61 Old 09-24-2011, 09:11 PM

Ooo! We got a 0-3 mo size of the skeleton one as a gift! I fear it will be too large at birth though so we'll most likely be going with a had-decorated squid onsie and swaddle blanket. Perhaps the guitar blanket from the same person who gave us the skeleton suit (she's a guitar and mandolin player.)

#23 of 61 Old 09-25-2011, 11:55 AM

Such cute outfits you all have picked out!

I am new to this DDC (a late joiner!) but I thought I would share my little girls coming home outfit :)

outfit002.jpg

#24 of 61 Old 09-25-2011, 12:04 PM

Welcome, Urchin! Very cute outfit.

#25 of 61 Old 09-25-2011, 12:13 PM

Urchin, that is so cute!  What nice bright cheerful colors!

We got a skeleton suit for our baby too.  It glows in the dark.  :D  I can't wait. 

Katico, that picture of your DD is completely adorable.  I want one!  Yeah, I'm totally gonna get some real newborn pants.

#26 of 61 Old 09-25-2011, 12:16 PM

What's with all the skeleton babies? lol! Am I missing a "face your mortality" trend???

#27 of 61 Old 09-25-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryS-F View Post

What's with all the skeleton babies? lol! Am I missing a "face your mortality" trend???

I gotta say, I was inspired by Steph, who was posting about her skeleton outfit months ago.. ever since then, I've just really felt like I needed to get one.  And then one showed up at Old Navy, and it was the cutest.

#28 of 61 Old 09-25-2011, 12:49 PM

I'm not a huge fan of sports or pastels.
I tend to buy bright colors or black whenever I see it. So, baby's wardrobe tends a little gothic.
But, yes, skulls are a budding trend. With serious disapproval from some quarters. I think ohdeedoh had sn article about it recently.

#29 of 61 Old 09-25-2011, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Rosemary:  I think you're right - it was that she was so long and thin- she wasn't an abnormally low weight, it was just spread out over a long body!  Even with prefold diapers on to bulk her up, pants were hard to find for her that had the right waist/leg ratio!  

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryS-F View Post

Katico, sounds like our DC are similar. Everyone said not to bother with newborn clothes, they wear them for a week and then never again, but that was not our experience. He was 7lb12oz but looong and therefore thin. Still is! I've just listed some of his nicer clothing on ebay--some 18-24 month pants that are STILL too large on the waist, but now are too short.

Urchin:  I love the little onesie, super super cute!bl

Jane:  It's hard to find black for babies, isn't it!  I prefer a very classic, muted look for very little babies (lots of white, blue, grey, moss green etc)  but then I like to funk it up and it's hard to find those brights and black!

#30 of 61 Old 09-25-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katico View Post

Jane:  It's hard to find black for babies, isn't it!  I prefer a very classic, muted look for very little babies (lots of white, blue, grey, moss green etc)  but then I like to funk it up and it's hard to find those brights and black!

I have a "thing" against applique. I like things plain. I don't WANT a mini puppy or embroidered "I love mommy" on the baby's clothes. They can just be striped or plain or printed, but no junk on them! I don't like feet turned into animals, either. Or butt faces. But sadly, I must be in the minority. And I am cheap, so baby's clothes include a lot of hand-me-downs. I'd rather dress him in love than things that match my taste. But the ones I've purchases are almost all grey, white, black or RAINBOW!! Or camo. Grandpa has had a hand in that. We have quite a bit of camo.

Here's the article on skulls and baby clothes: Link

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page