Chat Thread; 9/25-10/1 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 178 Old 09-26-2011, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It's a new week, ladies, and I'm ready to see new babies around here!

However, I'm begging Sunburst to stay in at least a couple more days lol.gif DS is sick right now (fever, cough, snotty nose, etc) so I really don't want Sunburst out in this germy house just yet winky.gif And we are all totally sleep deprived because ds was up for hours last night coughing so it would not be a good time for me to have to labor/birth a baby!

But, just because he's adorable.... here's how my ds finally fell asleep last night. love.gif He's such a good big brother already!

big brother.jpg

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#2 of 178 Old 09-26-2011, 06:14 AM

my previous MWs told me that babies are rarely born or fighting something off. Hope the same is true for you Steph.

And your son is so beautiful! What a sweet picture.

I have my 36 week appt tomorrow, so, guessing we do my GBS swab and another iron check. I have been getting some pretty painful contractions (not "organized" contractions but they hurt!) at night, baby is low. But EDD is still 4 weeks away, so I expect I'll be reading a bunch more birth stories (I love reading them!) before I'm posting mine :)

dissertating mom to three

#3 of 178 Old 09-26-2011, 06:37 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

What a sweet picture, Steph. Your son is a beautiful boy. I love pictures of my ds asleep, too.

My friend offered to come over while I'm at the birth center and tidy up/clean my house! joy.gif Not that I'm taking this as an opportunity to let it go to hell, but it's a nice relief to know someone will be looking out for my ultimate goal of coming home to a baby nest, not a rat's nest.

I had the oddest dream: you mamas with toddlers and young kids who've been experiencing, er, trying times, might identify? There was a little mouse that was very cute, like a pet mouse, that loved me and would scurry up to me from across a room, and settle on my shoulder, where I'd stroke him and it was very sweet. This happened a few times, and then the last time, the mouse crawled back around into my hair, and I couldn't see him, so I looked into the mirror and the mouse had turned into this white, disgusting insect, the kind that never sees the light of day and is just gross, and I flicked him off me onto the floor. He kept trying to scurry up to me like the mouse had done, and I kept kicking it away, and was about to squash him when...he turned into my DS! I woke up horrified at myself for kicking at him before I'd realized it was him and not that bug. I rarely dream in such literal metaphors, but it was exactly like things have been: he's either very sweet and cuddly and wonderful, or he's climbing all over me and "getting in my hair."

Making a March 9th sandwich with a Halloween filling.
#4 of 178 Old 09-26-2011, 07:20 AM

StephandOwen   Oh my gosh! He's so adorable! Poor little fella. Hope he gets better soon.

Not too much going on in the laboring department on my end. Some BH contractions and cramping (which is new for me this pregnancy), but otherwise, she seems like she's not going anywhere just yet.

I think I wrote a little bit about my mom suddenly calling out of nowhere to say that she wanted to come up to help. Well, I hadn't heard from her for a few weeks after that. I assumed she decided it was too much trouble, and she agreed with me that my dad wasn't well enough. Anyway, I hear from my sister yesterday that she had booked a cruise for her and my dad in October instead!

It shows me that I better set my expectations pretty low with my mom and dad, and that's rather sad, but on the other hand, it's pretty funny in a ludicrous kind of way. I won't bother calling to tell her when the baby is born because she's likely to be at sea. What can you do with family sometimes?

#5 of 178 Old 09-26-2011, 08:02 AM

Wow, beautifulmoon--and this is your first? Sorry your mom is so difficult! My friend was going to have her first baby, and her mom deliberated on the phone with her whether to come out and see the baby or to buy tickets to the Portland Home Show because she loves to see what people do with their houses, blah, blah, blah.

#6 of 178 Old 09-26-2011, 08:21 AM

Steph - Your DS is so cute! Isn't it wonderful when they love on the belly. Hope you all are back to 100% soon!

Beautifulmoon - DH's parents are sort of like that, I have decided I cannot force them to be my idea of what grandparents should be, but it does suck sometimes. I have also realized that they are not really baby people and they seem more interested in DS now that he is getting older.

Mama to DS (03/09) and DD (10/11) and married to the love of my life

#7 of 178 Old 09-26-2011, 08:33 AM

Awww Steph, yor son is so cute.  I always want to know what everyones older kids look like when they talk about them so much.  I know not everyone is comfortable posting a million pictures of their kids on the internet though. 

beautifulmoon, that is awful that your mom is acting like that.  I am super close with my mom so I can't imagine if she did something of the sorts.  I could picture my dad doing that though.  I have been REALLY suprised that he actually has come down here to visit me since my pregnancy and will come after the baby is born.  His normal behavior would be to not come down here to visit at all and then pressure me to make the 15 hour trip up there to see HIM for the holidays.  He hasn't been down here to visit the whole 4 years we have been here until now.  He once took a trip to Durham which is a few hours away and didn't even tell me or come and see me.  I am glad his attitude is changing.  I hope the same for your parents.

Awesome vegan mom to wolverine babyf.gif11/11 and sabertooth 11/13 and partner to a drum.gifwe also have dog2.gif

#8 of 178 Old 09-26-2011, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Steph - seriously adorable picture.

Rosemary - oh that would be fabulous!!! As for the dream - yeah, kind of creepy.

Beautifulmoon - when ds was born (in Costa Rica) my in-laws never came down (both retired & could most definitely afford it), I'm still a little bitter about it. They just plain didn't feel like it.

afm - this aft I have an appt with my ob. We are definitely having a serious talk about what to do about this prodromal labour (btw - why the heck did I NOT know this term meant something different than bh? I mean I've read at least a dozen pregnancy books & NONE of them mention this craziness). I didn't sleep again last night. I'm feeling awful, I'm tired, I'm feeling guilty 'cause my mil is doing so much child-minding with ds while I lie in bed in the mornings (for some reason I CAN sleep in the mornings). Sigh.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#9 of 178 Old 09-26-2011, 09:18 AM

x-posted from last chat--- just saw we have a new one.

Trinket: Big hugs mama! I know how much dogs become part of the family.

Hoping everyone is doing well. We are hanging in there. We have a super clean house and are just playing the waiting game. DH is terrified she'll come early (before my mom arrives!) and is trying his best to have me take it easy. I keep telling him she'll come when she comes. I managed to seduce him last night even though he was sure if we had sex labor would start! Ha! I told him that baby girl and I had a heart to heart- she's agreed to wait until my mom arrives next Sunday. winky.gif

I am getting braxton hicks just about every evening. I never had them with DD. Also, baby is putting lots of pressure on my cervix which causes lots of painful twinges. I'd like to think that its doing something but who knows. Anyone else experiencing that?- its also something I didn't have last time.

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#10 of 178 Old 09-26-2011, 09:24 AM

Steph: Cute!

Trinket: I'm so sorry.  :(

AFM: DH straightened up and we got the first floor presentable for company.  Apparently, "We need to clean up, stop playing your game." wasn't specific enough.  Ah well, it's done.  The first floor and baby's room are in good shape, that's all other people really are going to be seeing when they visit.  I'm so glad I took leave a bit early, I have napped all morning.  I'm so tired.  I've been having pretty strong contractions since Friday (they kept making the 0-100 scale on the NST blink 100...nothing regular) and I haven't started dilating (that I know of).  I'm going in tomorrow.  I don't like this uncomfortable feeling with nothing happening!  

Social working mommy to babygirl.gif 10/10/11, three cats, and a dog.

#11 of 178 Old 09-26-2011, 10:35 AM

thanks, everybody, for your kind words. I really appreciate it, especially as I haven't really allowed myself to dwell too much on it. I'm just tired of feeling hurt and disappointed in the same people, you know? Earlier in the pregnancy, when my sister bought a ticket for me to fly in to texas for a visit and baby shower, I received an urgent voice mail from my mother to call her back right away. I thought she was excited to see me. But it turns out, she wanted to know if I could schedule my visit to coincide with a trip to Portland she wanted to take with my aunts. She wanted me to take care of my dad for the duration of my visit, while she went out of town. 

I hope you all will indulge me a bit more in my griping, because I find myself dwelling in spite of myself and need to unload. there's the SIL who completely stopped calling, became openly hostile, and called my baby shower an "ordeal" once I got pregnant and she didn't. People asked what was wrong with her because she was so sulky the whole day. there's my other sister who hasn't called once and begged off driving in to see me when I was in texas because, as she said, she needed to pack lunches for her kid. there's my friend who helpfully told me that she knew of someone who died of the allergic reaction that I was initially diagnosed with. She also wasn't interested in driving in for the baby shower. this whole pregnancy has separated the wheat from the chaff for me, in terms of my relationships. It's been surprising and disappointing, but also illuminating. I've been wondering if others have had the same experience? 

contractions and more All this talk of prelabor goings-on has me expecting to go into labor any day. But I'm thinking I'm likely to go to term, so I better not get too impatient. I hope those of you experiencing a lot of discomfort get some resolution one way or the other.

clean houses Having a clean house makes things seem ready, I think. Glad that some of you got that off your checklists. I need to do that today.

#12 of 178 Old 09-26-2011, 10:52 AM

beautifulmoon -- oh yeah, can I ever relate. There is pain in these revelations, but also discovery. And in the end, separating the wheat from the chaff always gives me that much more room for the people who really matter and space from those to whom I simply feel an obligation of some sort. Sometimes it's easy to look at our "list" of friends and think, my, that's sort of small, isn't it? But really, the list doesn't have to be big to be powerful and supportive. I have had a number of relationships fall by the wayside since motherhood began for me more than 6 years ago, and while some of them have required re-calibrating on my part (which was good for my growth, too!), others made me realize that particular relationship's time had passed and I truly was better off without it -- or at least, without investing so much energy in it. In the end, take heart if you can from the true love and support that is available to you. Sometimes, as corny and contrived as it sounds, making a list helps. I'm an only child and have a clinically narcissistic mom and very challenging dad, so I tend to think I know a little something about the sadness and alienation that comes from having the people who are supposed to love and support you most be so disappointing. Hugs to you and hang in there!

#13 of 178 Old 09-26-2011, 11:15 AM

Beautifulmoon, do you think that your SIL is dealing with infertility? FWIW, some people that I know who experience that condition find it very hard to be happy for people who don't. An acquaintance of mine wrote this graphic novel about her infertility called Good Eggs: http://www.amazon.com/Good-Eggs-Memoir-Phoebe-Potts/dp/0061711462/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1317060849&sr=8-1

Even if that is the case, it doesn't make it easier for you, that's for sure!

#14 of 178 Old 09-26-2011, 12:09 PM

I also can't wait to meet more babies on here this week! 

I cannot believe that I will be 36 weeks tomorrow!! Yay!! I had a midwife appointment yesterday. Everything looks good. Had to do the GBS swab....crossing my fingers it's negative, but even if it's not, the worst is IV antibiotics (trying to not be stressed about the results of it. lol) 

My energy level is SO low today. Hoping it's not like this from here on out. I have yet to have any BH's or anything. Midwife said he is head down, with his body being on my left side and arms/legs toward my right side. She also said he is high up, which is fine, since I'm only 35 weeks 6 days. I'm thinking about starting to take Evening Primrose Oil tomorrow. Can't hurt, right? 

Steph- I hope your DS starts to feel better soon!

Chelsea, loving mama to Landon, born 11/3

#15 of 178 Old 09-26-2011, 12:26 PM

Like a few other people around here, I'm on blood pressure watch. It's holding, but I think D-day is coming. I'm really really hoping to go into labor on my own, but I'll induce if I have to. I'll be 39 weeks tomorrow, though, so that's a huge milestone passed. I am pleased to make 39 with some of my other issues.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#16 of 178 Old 09-26-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKislandgirl View Post

I am getting braxton hicks just about every evening. I never had them with DD. Also, baby is putting lots of pressure on my cervix which causes lots of painful twinges. I'd like to think that its doing something but who knows. Anyone else experiencing that?- its also something I didn't have last time.

Yes, baby is suddenly on my cervix and I get sudden pain, pressure, weird twinges. And sometimes it feels like baby is stabbing my bladder and it HURTS. Tons of BH contractions, some painful, but as of last week's appt (36 weeks) I was barely dilated (like half a centimeter, which according to medical terms is not dilated.)

#17 of 178 Old 09-26-2011, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Steph ... Great photo!

Beautifulmoon ... Oh, how family drama escalates around a birth!  I'm sorry that you have to deal with your mom's crap right now when it'd be so much better to have her support.

Jane ... You and me both!  Let's get these babies coming before we have to induce.  My midwife does an oil of verbena induction cocktail that I might ask for this week before she starts talking induction.  I'm pretty sure this baby will come fast, being that I was 6cm and stretchy at my last check on Thursday. 

lifeguard ... Why don't you join Jane and myself as we 'will' these babies into the world.  Three preggo women doing squats and chugging oil of verbena in apricot juice and chanting 'down and out, babies' has got to amount to something, right?

Hello to everyone else!  This is as much typing as my swollen, aching hands and fingers will allow. 

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#18 of 178 Old 09-26-2011, 12:39 PM

Steph - It is a super sweet picture.  And I also have older sibling + germs + newborn on the brain.  DS will be getting his first flu shot in a couple weeks, pretty much cuz I figure he's way more exposed now that he's in preschool.  I never got a flu shot before and am not sure I'll get one this year.  But I think I may get the Tdap (DH got one at his recent Dr. appt.).  And DS has only gotten 3 DTaPs...I was planning on waiting until he turned 4 to do the next booster (as per "state law"), but now I'm second-guessing myself.  [not trying to start a pro/con vax thing here....just sharing where my head is, germ-wise, right now]

Rosemary - Love the dream!  And yay for friends volunteering to come straighten up.  When we were at the birth center with DS I asked my mom to go to my house to feed our cat.  She and my sister came over and straightened up, brought flowers and food, etc.  When we came home my mom said, "I threw out the half-eaten bagel that was on the kitchen counter.  Hope you weren't planning on saving it."  (That was my attempt at eating before we drove to the birth center).

beautifulmoon - Hugs to you....it's hard to have people in our lives who aren't in a place where they can be loving and supportive and think of other people.

AFM - Ok...it's 3:30pm and the "handy man" who lives in the house next door (a big old house converted into apartments) has picked this time - yet again - to start doing noisy work.  What time is it?  DS's nap time, of course. 

Getting ready for Wednesday's fun prenatal visit....GBS swab, STD check (I guess I declined originally, but they won't let me waive the eye ointment unless they have a negative on record for this pregnancy)...and crossing fingers for no glucose in the peepee.  Planning on abstaining from dessert tomorrow night and then a delicious scrambled egg breakfast, no fruit (sigh), no cereal and milk (sigh), no tea with sugar (double sigh).  But, here's a question: So, if I eat differently and have no glucose in my pee, what does that mean exactly?  Does that mean I shouldn't have cereal and milk and fruit in the morning for the next 4 weeks?

I think I may have found a rug for the baby's room.  http://www.garnethill.com/floor-tile-hooked-wool-rug-by-garnet-hill/bedding-home/rugs/view-all-rugs/174970 in the Garnet color.  We did the walls "pear  green" with a "sweet butter" (kinda orangey yellow) ceiling.  And I got a quilt to hang on the wall (from someone on etsy) that has blues, greens, oranges, browns.  Once we're more together-looking...which may be after the baby's born...I'll post a pic on the baby's room thread.

And, I'm also getting a little freaked out by the fact that we already have DDC birth stories.  While I'm expecting to go to 40 weeks, I'm getting anxious that it'll happen early.

Teacher until birth of DS (7-27-08)blowkiss.gifand now DD (10-17-11)femalesling.GIF:, now SAHM, wife to my wonderful hard-working DH.   cd.gifnocirc.gifselectivevax.gif

#19 of 178 Old 09-26-2011, 12:43 PM

Steph:  aw how cute! Hope Sunburst stays put until your DS feels better :)

Rosemary: what a sweet friend! As for the dream, that would definitely be disconcerting, but it definitely makes sense.

beautifulmoon: ugh, so sorry...no advice, just hugs! It sucks to be dealing with family drama like that on top of being pregnant.

livacreature: glad you were able to get the house cleaned up, even if your DH was a little...er, slow...to help you.

AKislandgirl: I'm definitely getting the cervix twinges too...sometimes strong enough that if I'm walking I almost fall down because it makes one or the other of my hips feel disjointed for a minute. Weird.

AFM: so this prodromal labor business...can anyone tell me more about it? I've been having BH contractions off and on pretty constantly for weeks now, but the last week or so I've had episodes of contractions that are fairly strong and regular, but disappear after an hour or two (I'm 37wks 4days). This morning I woke up at 4:30 with a particularly nasty contraction, then had another, and another, so I started timing them...they were about 30-45 seconds each, every 5 or 6 minutes for almost two hours, wouldn't go away with rest/activity/hydration/etc., and then, when I was thinking that maybe I should start thinking about calling the midwife...they just petered out. ARGH!

Other than that frustration, I had a pretty awesome weekend...all four of my sisters and my mom came over on Saturday and gave DH and I a little family baby shower...my sisters all brought beautiful little handmade gifts, and my mom filled our freezer with homemade ravioli and our cold room with pounds and pounds of produce fresh from her garden. And, to top it all off, despite having five adults and two toddlers under two in our little house for several hours, the place was actually cleaner after they left! So instead of cleaning all day Sunday like we were expecting to do, DH and I were able to just relax and do fun things instead...made a big batch of gingersnap cookies, 8 pints of blueberry jam, filled up our porch with firewood in preparation for the cold weather, and I sewed another 9 sets of washable breast pads...hooray!  

ETA: just heard from the midwife that I am negative for GBS, woohoo!

Head over heels for DHjoy.gif bonus mama to super sweet DSS (10/9)superhero.gif and mama to DD (10/11)loveeyes.gif! nocirc.gif  sewmachine.gif  goorganic.jpg

#20 of 178 Old 09-26-2011, 01:05 PM

Gosh, I feel behind!!

Steph:   Handsome boy!!! I hope he feels better soon!

Rosemary:  Your dream was awesome!  Your brain was very clearly sorting through real life,lol.gif

I had my own toddler trauma related dream.  I have been having a mini crisis of the  "omg, how am I ever going to cope with a newborn and a 2 yo who never sleeps???"  variety.  I had this dream that I agreed to keep a friend's 5 mo old baby for the night and she arrived with him and a truckload of baby gear, then drove off - my house was full of swings and cribs and diapers everywhere and every bit of knowledge I have about taking care of a baby flew right out of my brain.  I couldn't remember how to make a bottle or get him to sleep.....and DD was running circles around us, tearing up the house....the 5mo old decided that looked like great fun and decided to start walking!...then he ran around with her  all night while I desperately tried (and failed) to cal my friend and get her to come pick him up, haha!

Ah well, last time I was dreaming every night about giving birth to kittens, this isn't as bad as that lol.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifulmoon View Post

I think I wrote a little bit about my mom suddenly calling out of nowhere to say that she wanted to come up to help. Well, I hadn't heard from her for a few weeks after that. I assumed she decided it was too much trouble, and she agreed with me that my dad wasn't well enough. Anyway, I hear from my sister yesterday that she had booked a cruise for her and my dad in October instead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryS-F View Post
 My friend was going to have her first baby, and her mom deliberated on the phone with her whether to come out and see the baby or to buy tickets to the Portland Home Show because she loves to see what people do with their houses, blah, blah, blah.

I know this isn't sympathetic, but oh how I wish my parents would book a cruise or a home show instead of visiting us!!  lol.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by tank View Post

Awww Steph, yor son is so cute.  I always want to know what everyones older kids look like when they talk about them so much.  I know not everyone is comfortable posting a million pictures of their kids on the internet though. 

I know, I would love to see some pictures and would totally share one - I don't know how people feel about that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKislandgirl View Post

I am definitely having lots of different cervical pain this time...and it makes me hopeful.  I have sort of a constant, burning crampy pain that sort of reminds me of how it felt during the cervical gel they used when I was induced with DD.....anyone else?  Burny/crampy=dilation?  (fingers crossed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkmommy View Post

beautifulmoon -- oh yeah, can I ever relate. There is pain in these revelations, but also discovery. And in the end, separating the wheat from the chaff always gives me that much more room for the people who really matter and space from those to whom I simply feel an obligation of some sort. Sometimes it's easy to look at our "list" of friends and think, my, that's sort of small, isn't it? But really, the list doesn't have to be big to be powerful and supportive. I have had a number of relationships fall by the wayside since motherhood began for me more than 6 years ago, and while some of them have required re-calibrating on my part (which was good for my growth, too!), others made me realize that particular relationship's time had passed and I truly was better off without it -- or at least, without investing so much energy in it. In the end, take heart if you can from the true love and support that is available to you. 

yeahthat.gif

Starling -  Hi! nice to know you're still reading, but I wish you were busy with something else!!  babyf.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_telling View Post

I think I may have found a rug for the baby's room.  http://www.garnethill.com/floor-tile-hooked-wool-rug-by-garnet-hill/bedding-home/rugs/view-all-rugs/174970 in the Garnet color.  We did the walls "pear  green" with a "sweet butter" (kinda orangey yellow) ceiling.  And I got a quilt to hang on the wall (from someone on etsy) that has blues, greens, oranges, browns.  Once we're more together-looking...which may be after the baby's born...I'll post a pic on the baby's room thread.

That rug is fantastic!  All their rugs have me all wanty!!

AFM:  Trying to keep busy. Trying to keep DD busy.  I'm pulling out all the stops here - playdough, glow sticks, glue, new toys.....I get so out of breath even standing up that I really need to sit on the sofa as much as I can. guilty.gif  I need her to be happy and occupied.

I made a mobile for the baby today, will post pics in the baby room thread.  Next is a crib quilt.  

ETA:  Aaaaand, I just taught my 2 yo the S word.  Mother of the year!!!  duh.gif

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

#21 of 178 Old 09-26-2011, 03:20 PM

Re. sharing photos of our kids...I'm wondering if the new Social Group (or whatever it's called) that we're forming post-DDC is more private than this forum.  I realize this is different than, say, Facebook, where I really know all my "friends"....and for MDC stuff we just know each other virtually...but if the social group is something we have to register for than maybe it offers a bit more privacy for folks who want to feel more secure posting photos n' stuff.

Teacher until birth of DS (7-27-08)blowkiss.gifand now DD (10-17-11)femalesling.GIF:, now SAHM, wife to my wonderful hard-working DH.   cd.gifnocirc.gifselectivevax.gif

#22 of 178 Old 09-26-2011, 03:54 PM

rosemary - that book looks very interesting. Infertility is certainly a very difficult thing to deal with - when we were in the thick of it I could stand to see my friends - I was bitter towards the world. Oddly being on my 2nd pregnancy in some ways the hurts are still very there.

starling - I'm in! Anything to get this girl out!

labruja - sounds like you might be in the club - sigh. The difference with prodromal labour over bh is that they DO settle into a timeable pattern & can go on for extended periods which has certainly been my experience. At least a few hours every day - usually for 2 sessions, sometimes for a couple days in a row.

afm - I saw my ob this aft & it went fairly well. He offered to do a cervical check which I decided wasn't a bad idea. The nurse came in & said he'll check, if he can get a finger in he'll do a sweep, which I was most definitely ok with. Well, he came in & did the check. Right away he says "wow, she's right there" & then he says I'm going to be really gentle - no sweep, if I do anything you'll be in labour before you get home. I wanted to scream "well for goodness sakes' do it!!!" but I refrained. So he thinks that I am incredibly close, everything's soft, 3cm dilated (still), 50% effaced & she's nice & low. I realize in a lot of ways this means nothing but it's still reassuring!

Anyway, we booked the induction for next Thursday morning (I already knew we wouldn't be going past 40 weeks which is next Saturday) & he doesn't seem to think I'll make it that far - if I do he seems pretty positive that at most I'll need the cervical gel to get things going (which was the case with ds as well).

I also confirmed I am gbs+ but he also confirmed that when I go in they will hook me up to iv for the antibiotics but as soon as they are done we can disconnect the iv - so that was a good thing.

I told dh when I got home that tonight we are dtd. He's not thrilled. Hahahaha

#23 of 178 Old 09-26-2011, 04:05 PM
~pi

Gorgeous boy, Steph. I love getting photos of those moments. love.gif

Emma, I hope for the sake of academic goals that you get to read plenty of birth stories before experiencing yours!

Rosemary, what a horrifying nightmare! Agh!! But what amazing friends. That's so great.

beautifulmoon, hug.gif hug.gif hug.gif I'm sorry your mom is not more supportive.

Poodge, that's great that they are more interested as he gets older. I admit that as much as babies are great, I really like kids best starting around age 3 or so. Should I ever be so lucky to be a grandparent, I will absolutely want to provide support around birth time, but it will probably be all about helping the parents, not so much about seeing the baby.

tank, that's so great that your dad is coming around.

lifeguard, I am such a morning sleeper as well. Whenever I have trouble sleeping at night, the one time I can count on getting a little rest is the morning. DH and I tend to split child duty such that I handle nighttime stuff, he handles early mornings. Good luck, and I hope things get moving soon!

Sue, ha! I hope your mom gets there first.

livacreature, glad to hear things worked out overall.

newyorkmommy, that's so true about wheat and chaff.

cbeclipse, fingers crossed for GBS negative.

Jane, hooray for 39 weeks! I hope your BP stays within limits.

MN Babydust, that sounds painful. Yikes!

starling, best of luck!

not_telling, if you have no glucose next time, you could think about perhaps moderating your morning sugar intake a little, since it's just for a few weeks? Really, though, two data points on a very crude metric (chemstrips) is not a lot on which to base a decision.

LaBruja, what a great shower!

Katico, oh shit. lol.gif Do you have safety scissors? I remember those being one of the BEST ways to occupy DS at that age -- a pair of safety scissors and a stack of sheets from an old magazine would buy us a good fifteen minutes to half an hour.

Re: photos, as I understand it, the social groups are only slightly more private. Anyone can read, they are still google-indexed, etc. It's just that only members can post.

AFM, I have been sitting at my computer, working away, and ignoring some mild contractions all day. They only got stronger when I walked to pick up DS and are now starting to get harder to ignore. On the one hand, perhaps this means something exciting. On the other hand, I really wouldn't mind a couple more days of work time, baby! (At the very least, I need to finish some paper revisions that are due today.)

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#24 of 178 Old 09-26-2011, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~pi View Post

Katico, oh shit. lol.gif Do you have safety scissors? I remember those being one of the BEST ways to occupy DS at that age -- a pair of safety scissors and a stack of sheets from an old magazine would buy us a good fifteen minutes to half an hour.

Oh, yes!  Scissors!  DS is sooo into cutting right now.  Kinda like our sticker conversation ("wasting" stickers) it drives me a little nuts when we take a fresh piece of colored construction paper out and the next thing I know it's in a million little pieces that need to be recycled (some can be saved for collage).  But he seems to prefer art paper to catalogues for cutting, unfortunately.  'course, I'm not really comfortable leaving him alone while he's using his scissors since I don't know what else he'll be inspired to start cutting...but I can do stuff in the next room while he's busy.

#25 of 178 Old 09-26-2011, 06:27 PM

Pi - that sounds exciting....

Dh refused to have sex with me. He's totally freaked out by the baby being "right there". Sigh.

#26 of 178 Old 09-26-2011, 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lifeguard View Post

Dh refused to have sex with me. He's totally freaked out by the baby being "right there". Sigh.

Oh, tell him to suck it up!  Or just give him no choice  lol.gif  OR  remind him how long it will be post-baby before he's getting any nookie!

Scissors- thank you for the idea!  I bought a pair for in her Xmas stocking but I will pull them out now!

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

#27 of 178 Old 09-26-2011, 07:09 PM

lifeguard--my DH would be exactly the same way! Before I got pregnant he swore as soon as he could tell (as soon as I was "showing") he would go anywhere near that region. He quickly reconsidered once I actually was pregnant... but it still creeps him out a little to think about potentially "poking" the baby. No matter how much I explain the anatomy. If he knew the baby really WAS "right there".... he wouldn't touch me! Good luck getting labor going. I'm as excited for all these DDC babies as I am for my own!

false/prodromal labor: sometimes I get frustrated because I have NOTHING going on... not even that many BH. Then I remember all of you with your awful and maddening "just kidding" moments and I feel a little better.

Scissors are such a fantastic idea for keeping little ones busy... but it's pretty scary to take your eyes off them when they're playing with them! Safety scissors mean no cut fingers, etc... not necessarily that the really important, difficult to replace document that you have sitting on your desk won't end up as pretty confetti!

afm--my attempt at pregnancy diet has gone out the window lately. I'm constantly forgetting to eat, being too tired/lazy to make anything healthy, and just plain eating crap. For my birthday tonight my mom made nachos, then cheesecake, ice cream, and cool whip for dessert. I ate... oh, so much. So bad. This kid is going to like nothing but cheese, salty foods, sweets...

I had a WIC appointment today. They're tricky! I went in to pick up my new checks and they made me sit through a breastfeeding class first! I have no problem with the class, I think it's great to encourage breastfeeding for these moms. Unfortunately, it's a very basic class and I learned most of this stuff before I was 10, watching my mom breastfeed. It made for a very boring 45 minutes. This program isn't really designed for "crunchy" mamas.

Mom to Eli babyboy.gif 10/18/11 and loving wife to Derrin. heartbeat.gif 

Proud to be "that" girl--the crazy bedsharing, sling-wearing, breastfeeding mama everyone

thinks is crazy!

#28 of 178 Old 09-26-2011, 08:12 PM

It's midnight.  My child is still awake.  Bedtime started over 4 hours ago.  She has slapped, kicked, screamed, thrown toys.....  I finally got her to sleep TWICE and as soon as I put her down she was on her feet screaming again.  

She is now upstairs in bed with DH, still chattering away.  And I am about to sleep on the sofa.  Because I am too angry to sleep next to her and because I get so little sleep to begin with, I cannot cope with her elbows and knees and body heat tonight.

I am a terrible failure of a mother and I give up.  She wins.  She has utterly and completely whipped my butt.

surrender.gif

I have no idea what to do, either during our day or at bedtime that can fix this.  We have never ever had such huge bedtime issues.  Routine and rhythm, lots of good wholesome food, lots of love and play during the day.........then gentle, quiet evenings, predictable bedtime, snuggles and songs and books.........what else can I do?????

I am so exhausted.  I am completely terrified for life with two.  

#29 of 178 Old 09-26-2011, 08:28 PM

39wks and day 2 of losing bits & pieces of my mucus plug.  Kinda cool bc I've never experienced this before with my other 2 kids.  Not getting excited or anything, but it's def fun :P

Amy Lynn, Loving wife stillheart.gifand mom to 3 sweethearts. Christopher (8/06), Katherine (10/08), and Matthew (09/11).  2 time VBAC Momma and NCB & BFing advocate.

#30 of 178 Old 09-26-2011, 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katico View Post

It's midnight.  My child is still awake.  Bedtime started over 4 hours ago.  She has slapped, kicked, screamed, thrown toys.....  I finally got her to sleep TWICE and as soon as I put her down she was on her feet screaming again.  

She is now upstairs in bed with DH, still chattering away.  And I am about to sleep on the sofa.  Because I am too angry to sleep next to her and because I get so little sleep to begin with, I cannot cope with her elbows and knees and body heat tonight.

I am a terrible failure of a mother and I give up.  She wins.  She has utterly and completely whipped my butt.

surrender.gif

I have no idea what to do, either during our day or at bedtime that can fix this.  We have never ever had such huge bedtime issues.  Routine and rhythm, lots of good wholesome food, lots of love and play during the day.........then gentle, quiet evenings, predictable bedtime, snuggles and songs and books.........what else can I do?????

I am so exhausted.  I am completely terrified for life with two.  

hug2.gifI wish I had some advice.  That sounds utterly exhausting.  I am also worried about life with 2. DD is very mommy-centered ATM & I have no idea how I'm going to deal.

Scissors are a good idea.  Personally, I've been letting DD go nuts with paint lately.  It always starts on paper, but then inevitably I stop paying attention and it ends up all over her, the floor, etc.  So thankful to whoever invented washable paint orngbiggrin.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page