What are you doing about birth control afterwards? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 48 Old 10-04-2011, 10:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I hate birth control.

I conceived the week I tried charting, after reading Taking Charge Of Your Fertility, like four days after my period stopped (which I think is unusual for me because we did the rhythm method before with no mishaps, plus my cycles are long-ish).

We hate condoms; I don't want hormonal b/c...after we have two or three I'm going to INSIST my husband get a vas!! I might go with some kind of IUD...the other thing is, I hate having to mess with stuff...or keep track of my temperatures!

in love with and married to my best friend ♥ snuggling my baby girl Ari Grace, 12-4-11

#32 of 48 Old 10-04-2011, 10:51 AM

ecological nursing anf FAM

8inHawaii likes this.
#33 of 48 Old 10-04-2011, 11:28 AM

I do not want to go with chemicals again and condoms really bother me - painful and swelling bother. Happily, I do not ovulate for 18 months after birth - really, this is child number 4 and all kids are 27 months apart.  So we can put off the decision for a year - and DH has said he'd go for the V. We will see. I get so bored doing FAM while nursing because it is 450 days of no change at all. The chart looks very strange after a while. 

#34 of 48 Old 10-04-2011, 11:39 AM

We used FAM for fifteen years, which worked very well for us. We avoided conception except when we wanted a baby, and then we conceived right away. The third child was an "oops," though, partly due to the fact that I was always more willing to bend the rules when I was more "in the mood" (i.e., fertile). It's hard to keep track of everything for all those years without it becoming a drag at some point. So after the third was born I decided on a copper IUD. Despite the horror stories circulating out there, it's been great for me. I don't like the heavier periods but otherwise I feel great (no cramps) and love not having to record temps, CM, etc. And I love not getting pregnant again, too. ;)

DD1 (Oct 99), DD2 (Sep 02), DD3 (Oct 09)
#35 of 48 Old 10-04-2011, 02:01 PM

I had a copper IUD for several years with no problems whatsoever. After about 5 years I started to have some random spotting (with no other symptoms) and after eliminating other causes, I think the IUD was just ready to come out. I would definitely consider using one again after this baby...

#36 of 48 Old 10-04-2011, 06:29 PM

Same here in our household.  DH talked about for years of getting vasectomy.  Now, after 10 months after our 2nd (and last) baby, he hasn't made the phone call yet.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmaegbert View Post

grrr, DH said he was all for the vasectomy but has done exactly nothing towards getting one... I guess we can wait until PP at this point. I kind of want to do it while we are all still on state insurance, the state loves to pay for sterilizing poor people. However the MW told me that new law is that birth control has to be covered by all insurance, so maybe that's not even an issue anymore if he switches to employer-provided insurance.

h20homebirth.gif winner.jpgfamilybed1.gifintactlact.gifecbaby2.gifcd.gifslinggirl.gifpeace.gifgoorganic.jpgtreehugger.gif

#37 of 48 Old 10-05-2011, 10:05 PM

We use Natural Family Planning and I am always surprised that more women on this site do not do so. If you are concerned about hormones in the food you eat - you should REALLY worry about the major amount of hormones you put into your body with artificial birth control! There are numerous reliable studies that have shown a strong link between Oral Contraceptives and breast cancer as well as other terrible maladies like deep vein thrombosis (my best friend almost died from DVT and her doctor said it was caused by her birth control.) Just be warned that when you are messing around with your natural cycle there are many repercussions. Embrace your Womanhood and stay healthy! For more info on the links between contraception and Breast cancer look here:

Does the birth control pill increase your risk of breast cancer?

According to the World Health Organization, the companies that make birth control pills, the FDA, and the Mayo Clinic, yes.

• In a July 29th 2005 press release, the World Health Organization declared that cobined estrogen-progestogen Oral Contraceptives are carcinogenic to humans. Specifically, they said that "Use of OC's increases risk of breast, cervix, and liver cancer."[1] The data was presented by a working group of 21 scientists from 8 countries convened by the cancer research agency of the WHO, the International Agency for Research on Cancer. Click here to view the press release.
birth_control_pill.jpg
  • Companies that make birth control pills also have admitted a link between the drug and breast cancer. For example, thePhysician's Desk Reference (PDR) is a 3500 page book used by doctors that explains how drugs work. In it is the "exact copy of the product's FDA-approved or other manufacturer-supplied labeling." The PDR states that "a meta-analysis of 54 studies found a small increase in the frequency of having breast cancer diagnosed for women who were currently using combined oral contraceptives or had used them within the past ten years."[2] The "meta-analysis of 54 studies" mentioned included data from over 150,000 women. It said, "The studies included in this collaboration represent about 90% of the epidemiological information on the topic, and what is known about the other studies suggests that their omission has not materially affected the main conclusions."[3] Some might argue that the increase in breast cancer risk is only a small one. But with 80-100 million women on the pill across the globe, the numbers certainly add up.

• More recently, the journal of the Mayo Clinic (Mayo Clinic Proceedings) published an article entitled "Oral Contraceptive Use as a Risk Factor for Pre-menopausal Breast Cancer: A Meta-analysis." It revealed that 21 of 23 studies that followed women who took the pill prior to having their first child showed an increased risk of breast cancer.[4] The increase was especially steep among younger women. One of the authors, Chris Kahlenborn, M.D., stated, "Anyone who is prescribing oral contraceptives has a duty to tell women that 21 of 23 studies showed an increased risk."[5] He added, "As more information comes out, it's going to be increasingly difficult to suppress [the documented evidence from medical studies]. There's a growing sense that it's really just a matter of time before the lid blows on this thing. . . . We will start seeing a new attitude towards the pill, and it will be fueled by lawsuits."[6]

• In the Consumer's Guide to the Pill and Other Drugs it also states that "Early-age use of the pill carries a greater risk of breast cancer, of developing larger tumors and having a worse prognosis"[7]. The Pill can cause plenty of other health problems as well, but click here for details on that.

Many doctors do not believe there is a link between the Pill and breast cancer. But considering that the World Heath Organization, the 2006 Physician's Desk Reference, the journal of the Mayo Clinic, and other reliable sources openly admit such a connection, I believe there is reason for concern. Should a woman be prescribed the pill for medical reasons, she will be glad to know that successful alternatives exist. Click here for details on that.

Why does the Pill increase a woman's odds of developing breast cancer? Chris Kahlenborn, M.D., explains: "Two of the most important types of hormones that control reproduction are estrogens and progestins. Birth Control Pills are made from synthetic estrogens and/or progestins. Experiments have shown that these hormones cause women's breast cells to divide more rapidly, which makes them more easily affected by carcinogens - agents which cause cancer"[8].

To read more on breast cancer and the Pill, I'd recommend reading Dr. Kahlenborn's book, Breast Cancer: Its Link to Abortion and the Birth Control Pill. Also check out A Consumer's Guide to the Pill and Other Drugs by John B.Wilks, Pharm. M.P.S.
[1]. World Health Organization, “IARC Monographs Programme Finds Combined Estrogen-Progestogen Contraceptives and Menopausal Therapy are Carcinogenic to Humans,” International Agency for Research on Cancer, Press Release 167 (29 July 2005).
[2]. Physicians’ Desk Reference, (Montvale, N.J.: Thomson, 2006).
[3]. Collaborative Group on Hormonal Factors in Breast Cancer, "Breast cancer and hormonal contraceptives: collaborative reanalysis of individual data on 53 297 women with breast cancer and 100 239 women without breast cancer from 54 epidemiological studies," Lancet 347:9017 (22 June 1996):1713-1727.
[4]. Cf. Mayo Clinic Proceedings, Oral Contraceptive Use as a Risk Factor for Premenopausal Breast Cancer: A Meta-analysis, Chris Kahlenborn, MD, et al., October 2006; 81(10): 1290-1302.
[5]. Susan Boyles, "The Pill May Raise Breast Cancer Risk: Analysis Suggests Small Increase in Risk When Oral Contraceptives Used Before First Pregnancy," WebMD Health News (Oct. 31, 2006).
[6] Chris Kahlenborne, as quoted at www.physiciansforlife.org
[7]. John B. Wilks, Pharm. M.P.S., A Consumer's Guide to the Pill and Other Drugs, 2nd Edition, (Stafford, Virginia, ALL inc., 1997), p. 70.
[8]. Chris Kahlenborne, M.D., Breast Cancer Risk from the Pill, available at www.omsoul.com .

http://www.quiverfull.com/birth_control/fact_sheet_on_pill_side_effect.html

#38 of 48 Old 10-05-2011, 10:11 PM

Thanks for mentioning that Vasectomy is not a good answer for men and can lead to health problems. Whenever we mess with our bodies there are consequences! Thanks also for sharing the info about the lady comp!

#39 of 48 Old 10-05-2011, 10:13 PM

bigeyes.gif

heartbeat.gif  Baby girl arrived 10/11/11 heartbeat.gif

#40 of 48 Old 10-06-2011, 02:13 AM

Thread go up on the first page or something? Facebook?
Tons of newbs - hi!!

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#41 of 48 Old 10-06-2011, 02:13 AM

Thread go up on the first page or something? Facebook?
Tons of newbs - hi!!

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#42 of 48 Old 10-06-2011, 05:29 PM

Email newsletter. ;)

I'm just tired of FAM. My libido is tied to where I am in my cycle, and I've been using FAM as the primary method since my second child was a year or so, and I'm D.O.N.E. with not being able to have sex when I feel in the mood. I'm good at it. It works. But I do not want to have to worry about getting pregnant anymore, period. For us, FAM + working hubby means really infrequent sex... REALLY infrequent. I'm over it. And between allergies and hormone intolerance and heavy periods/fibro, there are not other good, reliable methods for me.

We're done having kids after this one. DH can man up and get the snip. There are new techniques which do not have as many side effects for men, and if I can deal with the invasive discomfort that is pregnancy for me for more than 18 months of our marriage, plus the brutal recovery, plus breastfeeding, he can deal with sore nuts for a week. 

Jenrose, Mama to DD1, born 1993, DD2, born 2005, and DS1, Jan. 2012. Babywearing, cosleeping, homebirthing mom with fibromyalgia and hashimotos.  DD2 has a rare chromosome disorder. 

#43 of 48 Old 10-06-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenrose View Post

Email newsletter. ;)

I'm just tired of FAM. My libido is tied to where I am in my cycle, and I've been using FAM as the primary method since my second child was a year or so, and I'm D.O.N.E. with not being able to have sex when I feel in the mood. I'm good at it. It works. But I do not want to have to worry about getting pregnant anymore, period. For us, FAM + working hubby means really infrequent sex... REALLY infrequent. I'm over it. And between allergies and hormone intolerance and heavy periods/fibro, there are not other good, reliable methods for me.

We're done having kids after this one. DH can man up and get the snip. There are new techniques which do not have as many side effects for men, and if I can deal with the invasive discomfort that is pregnancy for me for more than 18 months of our marriage, plus the brutal recovery, plus breastfeeding, he can deal with sore nuts for a week. 

thumb.gif

I like how you put that.  

heartbeat.gif  Baby girl arrived 10/11/11 heartbeat.gif

#44 of 48 Old 10-07-2011, 11:45 AM

I agree. It seems strange to chide people on this thread for not choosing FAM/NFP when several of us have used it (in my case for a decade and a half!) and are ready for a change of pace for very logical reasons. And I didn't see a lot of people jumping on the hormonal bandwagon anyway (although that's likely to be the best choice for some people in any case).

DD1 (Oct 99), DD2 (Sep 02), DD3 (Oct 09)
#45 of 48 Old 10-07-2011, 05:26 PM

I can't do hormones because they will keeeeel me. 4 months after I started birth control pills as a teenager, I had a pulmonary embolism.

Progestrone, as in the MIrena, isn't as lethal, it just makes me not give a crap. About important things. Like sex. My marriage. Breathing. I wasn't actually suicidal on it, but my will to live wasn't really as present as it normally is, either. Really creepily insidious. I liked it the first time out, but the second...sheesh. No. Never again.

Condoms... They're apparently designed to be used with people who do not have full control of their vaginal muscles. In any event, I don't want to have to worry about the dang things coming off just because I'm having a good time, IYKWIM. I know how to put a condom on correctly. Nevertheless, with EVERY partner I ever used them with, we had some sort of failure (not pregnancy) of the thing to stay in place or stay intact at least once. Also, they tend to come lubricated. I tend to react to EVERYTHING. 

Jenrose, Mama to DD1, born 1993, DD2, born 2005, and DS1, Jan. 2012. Babywearing, cosleeping, homebirthing mom with fibromyalgia and hashimotos.  DD2 has a rare chromosome disorder. 

#46 of 48 Old 10-08-2011, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I can't do high dose progesterone because of PCOS, but everyone I've spoken to says Mirena's dose is low enough to avoid problems in that area (some people are very sensitive to progestins, but based on my experience with combined BC, I would say I'm not one of them). So I'm comfortable trying a Mirena this time, instead of a ParaGard. I'm not sure I can do those periods again.

I used charting to TTC. There's no way I could use it for birth control. I would go insane, even if it weren't for the possibility that my PCOS will worsen again and cause problems with NFP.

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

#47 of 48 Old 10-09-2011, 09:59 AM

I have the copper IUD (Paraguard). It's completely hormone-free, so I'm actually ovulating and having real periods.  This was a huge selling point for me.  I hated having artificial hormones from the pill.   I have been very happy with the IUD so far.  I've had it for 15 months.  I've only had 3 periods with it, since my periods didn't return until 15 months postpartum.  My only side effect is heavier periods, but it's worth it to me...we never have to worry about birth control!  Before conceiving, we used FAM, but we were nervous about using LAM because BFing can make your fertility signs harder to read.  The IUD gives us peace of mind, and other than the heavier periods, I completely forget it's in there!!

#48 of 48 Old 10-09-2011, 07:16 PM

Elismommy when did you get yours in?  We're going to do that, I should say that I am......ahem......we're 5 months post partum already......

Loving wife to DH partners.gif mama to DS1 3/13/09 sleepytime.gif, DS2 4/20/11 diaper.gif and expecting baby #3 in January! 3rdtri.gif

Professional violin.gifand attempting to computergeek2.gif while cd.gif femalesling.GIF learning.gif hang.gif knit.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page