What are you doing about birth control afterwards? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-26-2011, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

After ds I didn't really have to worry about it (my then fiance and I were having mega issues and I knew it wouldn't last... I ended up leaving him when ds was less than 2 months old and we hadn't had sex since before ds was born so it was never an issue). I didn't date (or have casual sex) again for years, until I met my now dh. For quite awhile we used condoms and I was on the pill. Then we stopped the condoms.... then we stopped the pill and that's how we got here ;)

We don't want any oops though. But we have no idea what to do about birth control. In theory, we'll use condoms until I can get on birth control pills again (and then we'll likely stick with the double protection for at least awhile). But what kind of pill is safe to take while breastfeeding? How soon can I start it? What other options are there for breastfeeding moms? I will not do an IUD (tried it once, had a horrible experience with it, won't do it again).

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2011, 11:56 AM

To be honest, I realized how much better I felt off the pill - had been on for more than a decade - that we to this day use condoms.   I just don't like messing with my body chemistry that much anymore.  DD nursed for 4 years and the first year or so I wasn't that interested.  But yeah, we use condoms - less messy

Old 09-26-2011, 12:24 PM

I've never really been on BC, but yeah, now that I'm having a third, I straight up am getting a Mirena... 3 kids.. no way I would remember to take a pill everyday. And you can have it while nursing, and you can take it out when you want to. I want something I can just put in and foreget about it.

Saamy Student mama to  superhero.gifand hearts.gifand babyf.gif

Old 09-26-2011, 12:52 PM

We'll use LAM in the beginning, then go back to FAM with condoms for fertile times. I'm not comfortable with hormonal BC while breastfeeding (or anytime, for that matter) and would never consider an IUD...so that pretty much leaves FAM/NFP and/or barriers.

Wife to my hubby and SAHM to two boys -  DS1 (2) and DS2 (newborn).  Forever missing our three angels in Heaven. 

Old 09-26-2011, 01:22 PM

We're also planning on condoms/ FAM method.

Steph, per your question, they have progesterone-only pills which are thought to be safe while breastfeeding (they can sometimes interfere with supply though).  I think they're called the mini-pill, and one would start taking them around 6 weeks or so, I believe (but your doctor will definitely want to discuss with you regardless).  

Other options for breastfeeding moms include FAM (fertility awareness method) along with LAM (lactation ammenorhea method). A really good resource to check out is Toni Weschler's book Taking Charge of Your Fertility.  The basic theory with LAM is that if you're exclusively breastfeeding on-demand, *most* women won't resume ovulation until 6 months postpartum, but you'd also be simultaneously checking your fertility (based on basal body temp, cervical fluid, and cervical position).  FAM is definitely a bit more work- you HAVE to be diligent and consistent, and there is definitely a learning curve.  The idea is that you track your own fertility on a daily basis based on these signs, and during your fertile phase, you'd use alternate methods- either condoms or abstinence.  Obviously, you have the best idea about what would fit into your lifestyle and family the best, but there are definitely hormonal (birth control pills safe for breastfeeding) and non-hormonal options.

Amy, feathering our nest with sweet husband O and baby girl, P (October 2011). 
Old 09-26-2011, 01:59 PM

Sigh. I have no idea what I'm going to use after the birth. I used Nuvaring for several years until one day it just disappeared and I ended up here (seriously. To this day we have no idea where it may have gone...we didn't even realize it was missing for at least a few weeks, although once we did notice it definitely explained why I'd randomly turned into a hormonal crazy person. My DH insists on calling it the immaculate disappearance, and my midwife keeps joking that the baby is going to come out wearing a bracelet). I really liked it for the convenience factor, but I don't think it's considered safe for breastfeeding, and after I lost it I realized that I just really didn't like what it did to my moods or my body. IUDs scare me because of all the horror stories, FAM scares me because that's why my big sister is now a mom (and I know my own body well enough to know that my system is not stable enough for my fertility signs to be reliable), and I want to avoid hormonal methods, but I HATE barrier methods...so I am sort of at point non-plus.

Head over heels for DHjoy.gif bonus mama to super sweet DSS (10/9)superhero.gif and mama to DD (10/11)loveeyes.gif! nocirc.gif  sewmachine.gif  goorganic.jpg

Old 09-26-2011, 03:26 PM

We used condoms between DS and this baby. We will use them again until DH goes for his vasectomy. Which he will most likely do sometime in the baby's first year.

Mama to DS (03/09) and DD (10/11) and married to the love of my life

Old 09-26-2011, 03:49 PM

I've been on pills in the past, and before we started TTC I was on Nuvaring.  Nuvaring worked really well for me, but I want to avoid hormones this time around.  I think I'm going to get a copper IUD.  I've heard the horror stories, but also the stats seem okay enough for me to give it a try.  My doctor said the mini-pill works really well for a lot of people and is the least likely hormonal method to interfere with breastfeeding.  I hate taking a daily pill, though.  I did fertility awareness for TTC, but I'm not sure I trust it for catching my first PP ovulation and TTA.  I really don't want to be pregnant again for a while.  

heartbeat.gif  Baby girl arrived 10/11/11 heartbeat.gif

Old 09-26-2011, 04:04 PM

I had been on the pill since I was 15 because it helped with really painful periods..  After DD was born we used condoms for awhile, then I tried several different pill brands and the nuvaring - we were trying to figure out if hormones were causing my migraines.  This time, I will go back on the pill again (didn't end up affecting the migraines at all) just because I can't deal with the monthly issue of hard periods!

I did like the nuvaring though...I might give that a second try

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

Old 09-26-2011, 04:23 PM
~pi

This is it for us, so DH is getting a vasectomy. He plans to time it around football playoffs and spend some time relaxing on the couch. I am thoroughly supportive of this idea.

Between DS and this one, we used condoms with spermicidal gel. The one time (seriously, ONE time) we did not use gel, the condom broke, and here I am in the DDC. I have always been a dual methods devotee, and clearly that was the right call!

I like the idea of FAM a lot, but it does not work well for me, personally. I am not that organized, my temperatures are affected by my autoimmune thyroid condition, I can't reach my cervix (it's seriously hard to reach -- every health care provider who tries comments on it), and there is significant evidence at this point (in the form of two kids) to suggest that I ovulate either at irregular times in my cycle or possibly twice per cycle.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

Old 09-26-2011, 04:34 PM

DS3 and now this baby were both conceived while using condoms. Clearly, I should not rely on that for myself any more, unless I'm okay with more surprise babies... Which, I'm not. I don't want to do hormonal prevention, I don't want to do FAM (seriously, the only times I WANT sex is when I'm fertile- not willing to abstain, and condoms clearly won't work as a back-up, anyway!). I also don't want to do anything permanent. I'm feeling like this MIGHT be my last baby, but I'm not ready to commit to that just yet. I feel like my best option at this point is a copper IUD, but the horror stories really make ms nervous. :-/

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

Old 09-26-2011, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

It took us 6 years to conceive ds & just over 2 to conceive this one. We would still like more so we most definitely will not be doing anything. Even if we had decided we weren't having more I don't know we would do anything as it takes such concerted effort (drugs & whatnot) for us to conceive.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

Old 09-26-2011, 07:47 PM

I plan on using condoms and spermicide until I can figure out my own body a little more for FAM, I guess. Thanks for the definition, Amy!

Nicole treehugger.gif  Busy with my two boys.jog.gifdiaper.gif  The 'big boy' too. peace.gifOh, and a sweet baby girl, born at home in October. love.gif

Old 09-27-2011, 09:40 PM

I had a copper IUD put in and it's great - nothing to remember (or forget, as the case may be), and nothing left to chance.  Plus, no hormones! 

Old 09-28-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatohannah View Post

I had a copper IUD put in and it's great - nothing to remember (or forget, as the case may be), and nothing left to chance.  Plus, no hormones! 

I had a copper IUD and had to have it removed after about 6 months because my periods were frighteningly heavy and lasted almost 2 weeks.  It was awful!  Looking forward to the big V here!

lady.gif mama to H. 4/05 and A. 9/08 and baby C. 10/11

Old 09-28-2011, 10:55 PM

I just ordered the Fertile Focus microscope on the recommendation of my midwife. You look at a dried saliva sample each day, and the crystal pattern shows ovulation. It's apparently 98-99% effective. I also have always done informal fertility awareness. My cycles were very regular and between changes in my sex drive and vaginal mucous, ovulation was always pretty predictable. Not sure how this will play out after having a baby though--especially while breastfeeding. I feel like I have a whole new body.

Emily Lin, mom to Alia (2011). Clinical herbalist and nutritional consultant at Integral Herbalism  (www.facebook.com/IntegralHerbalism). Natural health articles at http://emilylsnelling.hubpages.com .homebirth.jpg treehugger.gif

Old 09-29-2011, 04:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Getting another IUD. I had a copper T last time but I'm leaning Mirena... The heavier periods were a pain. I can't do estrogen, and the IUD is so easy. I loved it aside from the increased bleeding and cramps.

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

Old 09-29-2011, 05:50 AM

grrr, DH said he was all for the vasectomy but has done exactly nothing towards getting one... I guess we can wait until PP at this point. I kind of want to do it while we are all still on state insurance, the state loves to pay for sterilizing poor people. However the MW told me that new law is that birth control has to be covered by all insurance, so maybe that's not even an issue anymore if he switches to employer-provided insurance.

dissertating mom to three

Old 09-29-2011, 05:53 AM

DH has been talking about getting a vasectomy, but I don't think *I'm* ready for that yet. :/

Nicole treehugger.gif  Busy with my two boys.jog.gifdiaper.gif  The 'big boy' too. peace.gifOh, and a sweet baby girl, born at home in October. love.gif

Old 09-30-2011, 12:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
With the saliva tester thing do you need to purchase a new kit every month? We are doing nothing but LAM right now and may go back to FAM but would like some extra assurance, especially with 2 little ones etc. Contemplating getting the copper IUD, but it's expensive, and I don't know how well my body will work with it....
Any info on the saliva thing would be awesome! thanks!
BTW we are like super fertile people over here so just using FAM isn't always best for us. We conceived baby #2 after an accidental pregnancy miscarriage (the month right after mc) when I showed NO signs of ovulating. Our joke is that I don't even have to ovulate to get knocked up. LOL

Loving wife to DH  mama to DS1 3/13/09 , DS2 4/20/11   and DS3 1/12/13 Professional and attempting to  while     
Old 09-30-2011, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by organicviolin View Post

With the saliva tester thing do you need to purchase a new kit every month? We are doing nothing but LAM right now and may go back to FAM but would like some extra assurance, especially with 2 little ones etc. Contemplating getting the copper IUD, but it's expensive, and I don't know how well my body will work with it....
Any info on the saliva thing would be awesome! thanks!
BTW we are like super fertile people over here so just using FAM isn't always best for us. We conceived baby #2 after an accidental pregnancy miscarriage (the month right after mc) when I showed NO signs of ovulating. Our joke is that I don't even have to ovulate to get knocked up. LOL

I have two of these, one is called Luna, and the other is "maybe mom". You don't need a new kit with either from month to month. Mine have lasted years.

Mama to Reuben (8) and Zeke (7)fencing.gif and baby girl, Lötte babyf.gif
Illustrator/designer of children's media and rubber stamps.  blogging.jpg

Old 10-04-2011, 05:14 AM

We've used FAM successfully for years (didn't get pregnant once in our entire marriage when we weren't trying, got pregnant every time we tried.)

But to be honest? I kind of hate it. We use it because there were no other good options given that we weren't "done". But the whole premise means that if I'm interested, we can't, and if we can, I'm probably not interested. 

I want him to get a vas. He's ridiculously squeamish about it. The idea that I may have to resort to the Essure because he's too squeamish, after me taking the lead on bc our entire marriage (with some pretty significant side effects from the Mirena)... Let's just say it may be a moot point, because I find guys who don't step up to the plate where birth control is concerned less than inspiring sex-wise.

I love him dearly, but it's not worth it to me to go back to FAM, I'd rather just not have sex, and we're not sure that I can even do the Essure due to an allergy to the contrast medium they use to verify it 3 months out. 

Jenrose, Mama to DD1, born 1993, DD2, born 2005, and DS1, Jan. 2012. Babywearing, cosleeping, homebirthing mom with fibromyalgia and hashimotos.  DD2 has a rare chromosome disorder. 

Old 10-04-2011, 05:48 AM

Natural Family Planning – and NO it is not the rhythm method! It is a series of natural observations that allow women to tune into their body and empowers them in the knowledge and understanding of their personal cycle. No chemical drugs, implants, shots or risky surgery to throw you out of balance. This is a great way to be aware of your overall health and the charts are perfect for communicating fertility with your partner and are useful for medical appointments as well! When NFP is used properly it is as effective as the pill. We have been married for ten years, have 3 kids and have had great success in this method.

Old 10-04-2011, 06:07 AM

We use NFP too--sympto thermal method coupled with ecological breastfeeding (well...kinda.  I've never followed all 7 EBF requirements!)

• NO CHEMICALS!!!  I mean we're so careful to eat organically, use natural home/beauty products, right??
  • increased communication btwn me and DH, 
  • responsibility for choices is shared
  • FREE :D
  • immediately reversible from trying to conceive to postponing pregnancy 

My 4 kids are all spaced naturally 19 months or more apart, and my cycles didn't even return until 9 mos pp.  So glad we found NFP!

Old 10-04-2011, 06:47 AM

we've been using the chreighton method and its been great!!!
Old 10-04-2011, 07:28 AM

I started using a diaphagm when I was 16, and both of my kids were conceived when the diaphragm was left in the drawer(I was 30 and 34)  My size did not change with either baby, and it's just not a big deal to put it in/out.  I used spermicide with the initial insertion only.  My husband offered a vasectomy after the second was born, but I wasn't ready until she was about 3.  He laid around for about 3 days, and we joked that guys should have to wear one of those dog collars while they're healing--the cone of shame, ha-ha!

Old 10-04-2011, 08:56 AM

We are using FAM which I read the Toni Weschler book (Taking charge of your fertility) & it is wonderful.....I can not believe the things that I learned & had never known about my body....and I thought I was pretty in tune to my monthly cycles....Wow, this book should be required reading! We also have started using the Lady Comp which is quite pricey ($400-500) but it is AWESOME and we were able to use our Health Savings Account to purchase it with.  It is basically a very smart basal body temperature computer that has extensive testing behind it....it is used very often in Europe, I can't understand why we American women haven't heard of it more here though.  It is 99.3% effective and since my hubby & I use it along with FAM, it ups the effectiveness even more.  It basically tells you when you have ovulated based on your temperature & it gives you lights that are either red, yellow or green.....we are very conservative with it so on the red & yellow days we use another form of BC (condoms) but the green days are infertile days so have fun :-)  Oh, the lady comp comes with a good warranty & user reviews show that it last usually upwards of 10 years.  So for me, no hormonal birth control & no vasectomy for my hubby is what we love about this alternate method.  BTW, the vasectomy is not as benign as we are being led to believe...many, many men are suffering severe pain & prostate problems shortly thereafter having the surgery....research it for your hubby, you will be surprised there is not a more public outcry to the sometimes SEVERE repercussions of the vasectomy surgery. See the links below for more info on the lady comp....they also have a cheaper version too called the PEARLY....

http://www.lady-comp.com/en/page/at-first-sight?gclid=CIX47K2jz6sCFQd6gwod2XUDYQ

http://www.raxmedical.com/?gclid=CNzhqKSkz6sCFQoZQgodEnqVUA

http://www.raxmedical.com/pearly.php

**married to my college sweetheart & mom to Nicholas (19), Ashley (12), Sebastian (4), & Lexi Grace (2)...Born at home & BREECH ;-).

“We have a secret in our culture, and it's not that birth is painful. It's that women are strong.” Laura Stavoe Harm

Women of earth, take back YOUR birth!
Old 10-04-2011, 09:09 AM

I forgot to mention, that the lady comp also has correctly asked me if I was menstruating, even during several cycles where my menstruation came early & sure enough later that day my period started, I was amazed. I also use two online/iphone apps that I put my basal body temp readings & mucous observations into & they both end up showing the same ovulation day that my lady comp. predicts, after all the info is submitted.....I use fertility friend & P tracker.  Yes, I am basically using FAM, Lady comp., & two software apps to track my cycle, maybe a little overkill but I feel more comfortable increasing the effectiveness rate of my BC methods :-)  I am still amazed that all these signs were there the whole time for me & I was somewhat oblivious to me fertility window. My husband loves knowing for sure too.

**married to my college sweetheart & mom to Nicholas (19), Ashley (12), Sebastian (4), & Lexi Grace (2)...Born at home & BREECH ;-).

“We have a secret in our culture, and it's not that birth is painful. It's that women are strong.” Laura Stavoe Harm

Women of earth, take back YOUR birth!
Old 10-04-2011, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I am due in December...thinking about the same "dilemma" as this is our third baby (each spaced just under 2 yrs apart).  We are unsure about how many children we are going to have and neither of us are interested in something permanent - ever.  I have regained fertility 13 mo PP with both babies so far...so we've use LAM for the first 12 mo, but obviously we didn't actively prevent another pregnancy soon after regaining fertility.  Anyway, I just wanted to add that the Kimono condoms (Whole Foods, Amazon) were AWESOME the first 5 yrs of marriage (before we were "ready" for kids) - super thin, great quality. We only used condoms (mainly the week around ovulation) those first 5 yrs and never conceived (and I am super fertile...my whole family is), so we were doing something right even w/o any formal knowledge of NFP.  The trick for me I guess are those first few months of ovulation PP that are irregular...need to have the disipline to always use a condom after years of not.  It's also strange that even though we are typically uninterested in having more children the first yr of the baby's life, everything seems to change when fertility returns :)  and of course the thought of sex is so much greater at this time as well.  We shall see...  :)    

DS1 2/08, DD 1/10, DS2 12/11...#4 due October 2014
Home schooling, home birthing, breastfeeding, bed sharing family!

Old 10-04-2011, 11:00 AM

Taking Charge of  Your Fertility is an excellent resource Amy!  Another is In Our Control; The Complete Guide to Contraceptive Choices for Women by Laura Eldridge.

Real choice requires INFORMATION.  :)

User Tag List