Rant: Too pregnant! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 32 Old 09-29-2011, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am exhausted. Prodromal labor for the last 3 weeks has meant lack of sleep, being emotionally drained and overall not a good version of myself.

I don't mind pain. In fact, pain during labor doesn't really register as "pain" for me-it seems like a good thing-a great thing-because a baby will be close behind, and no matter how hard the labor one look-one smell of that babe, and it all fades into a distant, blissful memory...

But this? How can I be contracting 3-4 minutes apart, with contractions lasting 1.5 minutes long, some of which are strong enough to cause discomfort that borders on pain....for 4-6 hours almost every day/night, and NOT have a baby?

I'm so tired of women telling me I shouldn't feel frustrated because:"After all, lots of women go to 42 weeks, and you're not even at your duedate yet!". ALL of my babies have come early. Early and fast. That's what I signed-up for this time around, and instead I'm dealing with this.

I'm freaked out that this means she's going to be a really hard delivery-(no logic there except that my body isn't working like it 'should' ", so who's to say it will during birth?) I'm supposed to be sure-strong-knowledgeable and unflinching in my resolution and belief that babies come when they're ready, that women are created-designed-to birth, and that it is a spiritual and beautiful process. I mean, I wrote the book on it. Literally!

But instead, I'm a pile of emotion, fear, worry and illogic. I'm sure this baby won't ever come out on her own. I'm sure, that despite being perfectly healthy, she is unable to come out for some reason and I'll end-up with a C-section. I'm stressed and worn out, and I feel like a big fat whiney baby.

Sigh.

Please tell me I'm not crazy-that it's ok to feel irrational, to think illogical thoughts after 3 weeks of exhaustion, and that I will-someday-somehow-actually have a squirming bundle in arms!

Marcie

Mother of reading.gif, REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifjammin.gif and babyf.gifborn Oct. 5th after angel.gif  angel.gif angel.gif. Social Media Manager and writer by day, Bloomin' Belly Soap maker by night.

#2 of 32 Old 09-29-2011, 06:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Oh - you took my words!

Today is officially the 1st day of my 3rd week of this nonsense. I can feel the eye rolls from other women when I complain 'cause afterall I'm still not at my edd.

I am actually sitting here in tears 'cause I've been contracting for the past 2 hours & I'm just so tired of it all.

Fwiw - with ds I didn't have ANY contractions until the day they induced me, so this is totally new to me too.

I go back & forth. Either this means my body will be so prepared the "real" labour will be short & sweet & or my body will be so worn out the "real" labour will be slow & ineffective. I try to focus on scenario one.

I hope we both have babies in our arms very, very, very soon.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#3 of 32 Old 09-29-2011, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter

I'm glad to know someone else feels similarly.:) This is my 4th baby, and although I had some prodromal labor with my last baby, it was much more mild than this time around. My longest labor of all 3 was 3 hours, so I feel pretty stressed about if it's "it" every time it starts.

I've been told that it can shorten labor, but doesn't always...I have an appointment with my midwife this AM, where I'm going to request a cervical check. If I'm not dilating at all, I honestly don't know what I'm going to do. I can't continue like this for much longer-my work is suffering, I'm short-tempered with the kids and DH, and I am starting to feel myself slipping into a bit of depression, which doesn't bode well for my post-partum period!

I sure do hope we have babies in arms soon...keep me posted! (When is your 'due date'?)

Mother of reading.gif, REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifjammin.gif and babyf.gifborn Oct. 5th after angel.gif  angel.gif angel.gif. Social Media Manager and writer by day, Bloomin' Belly Soap maker by night.

#4 of 32 Old 09-29-2011, 06:41 AM

My edd is Oct 8 but I have an induction scheduled for next Thursday - because I have gd they do not want me going over - which at this point is more than fine with me.

It really is exhausting. At this point I'm not sure I'll have a clue in the world when I am actually in labour - probably end up with an unintentional home birth because we won't leave in time.

Short-tempered is a good description. Poor ds.

#5 of 32 Old 09-29-2011, 02:29 PM

You guys, I think it's awful that people are giving you that crap!  Sure, we'd all love to have our babies early (or at least not late!)  but who the heck would be able to shrug off weeks of pain, sleep deprivation and waiting and be thankful for it ?!?!

y all them haters be hatin'?   lol.gif

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

#6 of 32 Old 09-29-2011, 02:43 PM

OMG....please do not go into labour...I haven't ordered my soap yet!!!!!

mom to ds '07 first day of a new year, dd '09 in the caul, and  ds '11 at home Oct 24th

#7 of 32 Old 09-29-2011, 02:43 PM

Good heavens. I've had some days off and on where I get the painful, regular contractions-for-two-hours-then-they-just-stop garbage. And I'm not due until October 13th. And I'm DONE...so I can't even imagine what you ladies are going through with weeks of prodromal labor and the accompanying exhaustion and stress.

Anyone who is giving you mamas grief can just go kick rocks.

Head over heels for DHjoy.gif bonus mama to super sweet DSS (10/9)superhero.gif and mama to DD (10/11)loveeyes.gif! nocirc.gif  sewmachine.gif  goorganic.jpg

#8 of 32 Old 09-29-2011, 03:41 PM

oh my goodness...i couldn't have written this better myself. I'm going through the exact same thing. I've always had very short, surprise labours, that resulted in a baby in less than an hour.

I never even had regular contractions.

This one though...i've been on again, off again for weeks now with real, solid, regular contractions. I dilated to 10 last week, and now (well, as of monday) had gone back down to 2.

I've never had this many contractions without producing a baby, and these contractions are worse than the ones I had with my previous two deliveries.

I'm going to lose it.

Mama to Reuben (8) and Zeke (7)fencing.gif and baby girl, Lötte babyf.gif
Illustrator/designer of children's media and rubber stamps.  blogging.jpg

#9 of 32 Old 09-29-2011, 03:50 PM

Corrabelle, you amaze me. I didn't even know it was possible to dilate to 10cm and NOT have the baby soon after. Hang in there mamas...I hope all your babies make their debuts soon!

Head over heels for DHjoy.gif bonus mama to super sweet DSS (10/9)superhero.gif and mama to DD (10/11)loveeyes.gif! nocirc.gif  sewmachine.gif  goorganic.jpg

#10 of 32 Old 09-29-2011, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBruja View Post

Corrabelle, you amaze me. I didn't even know it was possible to dilate to 10cm and NOT have the baby soon after. Hang in there mamas...I hope all your babies make their debuts soon!

Neither did I. It's like mother nature's meanest prank! I was 10 for about 6 days, I felt like a time bomb, and didn't leave the house in fear that I was going to drop a baby at any moment! grrrr.

#11 of 32 Old 09-29-2011, 08:56 PM

I'm right there with you ladies.  Dh and I have decided that baby is not coming.  And I totally know, I KNOW I'm not at my edd.  I've stopped telling people my edd because I don't want to hear it.  I am up at 2 1/2 weeks of prodromal...I don't get to sleep at night anymore, that's when everything happens.  Yep.  Good times.

Tricia
Canadian Mama to E 2yrs
Someone new coming October!
#12 of 32 Old 09-29-2011, 09:27 PM

Corrabelle - oh my - the mind games that would play with me!

I wonder why it seems they are more likely to hit at night? Mine are most likely late at night & very early mornings. Rarely does it start during the day.

#13 of 32 Old 09-30-2011, 05:10 AM - Thread Starter

lol...you're funny! You're the only one asking baby to hold-off...believe me! :)

Unfortunately, I'm not taking orders right now, since I'm due on Monday. If I do make an exception, it would be with the understanding that I'm not guaranteeing a ship-time.;)

#14 of 32 Old 09-30-2011, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter

I am sooo blessed to know you understand! This is the most trying pregnancy I've ever had! xoxo

#15 of 32 Old 09-30-2011, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabesgrrrl View Post

lol...you're funny! You're the only one asking baby to hold-off...believe me! :)

Unfortunately, I'm not taking orders right now, since I'm due on Monday. If I do make an exception, it would be with the understanding that I'm not guaranteeing a ship-time.;)

winky.gif OKay I will back off....baby come now so I can get my dang soap....lol

mom to ds '07 first day of a new year, dd '09 in the caul, and  ds '11 at home Oct 24th

#16 of 32 Old 09-30-2011, 06:54 AM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

This makes me feel less confused about my labor with DS, which was 5 days of intense contractions, mainly all night long, mainly extremely painful. The nice thing for me ended up being when I got into the birth pool, and the pain of the contractions went away. I was able to relax and have him, already. Right on the due date to boot.

I hope that you all can get some rest and yeah, them babies. You've got my sympathies, completely!

Gabesgrrrl likes this.

Making a March 9th sandwich with a Halloween filling.
#17 of 32 Old 10-03-2011, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

Well, today is my official duedate. I am still pregnant! I am now a full 2 weeks more pregnant than I have ever been, and am starting to lose my grip.

I have inlaws calling to tell me I should be getting myself to a hospital-which doesn't help combat the fear that my body has forgotten how to do this....

I'm also battling a headcold, which my oldest son so generously brought home from school, which is not helping my positivity!

I don't know what to do...I'm thinking about trying to induce with homeopathics...but then I wonder if I actually want to go mucking around...but of course homeopathics are the most gentle of options...I just wonder if inducing this way would change the way labor would've gone if I had done nothing...

sigh.

So conflicted!

#18 of 32 Old 10-03-2011, 02:46 PM

gabesgrrrl - Oh I understand the debate in your head! I'm fully convinced the baby won't come until she's good & ready unless we take real action. I've done castor oil (a couple times) to no affect, a stretch & sweep & every "old wives tale" I can find (except sex 'cause dh refuses) & I'm still pregnant.

#19 of 32 Old 10-04-2011, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeguard View Post

gabesgrrrl - Oh I understand the debate in your head! I'm fully convinced the baby won't come until she's good & ready unless we take real action. I've done castor oil (a couple times) to no affect, a stretch & sweep & every "old wives tale" I can find (except sex 'cause dh refuses) & I'm still pregnant.

Ok, here's a question. DH and I were talking about the castor oil method the other day, because we were dipping french bread in extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar etc. Why is it that castor oil will sometimes induce labour, but other oils don't seem to? (or do they? I'll tell ya now, I had quite a bit of olive oil, and nothing happened.lol)

#20 of 32 Old 10-04-2011, 05:32 PM

Castor oil causes contractions by stimulating your bowels.. causing you to poo. Or so I've heard.

Nicole treehugger.gif  Busy with my two boys.jog.gifdiaper.gif  The 'big boy' too. peace.gifOh, and a sweet baby girl, born at home in October. love.gif

#21 of 32 Old 10-04-2011, 05:40 PM

Yeah, I get that part. It's a natural laxative. But what is it about "castor" oil, that makes it more of a laxative than other oils? You'd think any oil in large amounts would disturb your bowels!

#22 of 32 Old 10-04-2011, 07:24 PM

can i just DDC-crash and commiserate here with y'all??  

I'm "only" either 35 or 37 weeks as of right now, but I'm measuring 43cm, have been having prodromal for uhh, over a week now, and my ribs and back are in AGONY.  My other kids were all late, my latest going to 43wks, but I've always measured spot-on or slightly under, not this nonsense!  We keep joking (half-joking?) that it's surprise twins in there!

i am not even thinking about my "due date" at this point, cause i know it'll just screw with my head even worse if i say to myself, "i've still probably got X weeks of this left!"  *groan*

{{hugs}} to you all.  

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

#23 of 32 Old 10-04-2011, 07:41 PM

The idea of 43 weeks makes me want to sob.  

I don't care what I have to do, this baby is outta there asap.  I am DONE  lol.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystal323 View Post

can i just DDC-crash and commiserate here with y'all??  

I'm "only" either 35 or 37 weeks as of right now, but I'm measuring 43cm, have been having prodromal for uhh, over a week now, and my ribs and back are in AGONY.  My other kids were all late, my latest going to 43wks, but I've always measured spot-on or slightly under, not this nonsense!  We keep joking (half-joking?) that it's surprise twins in there!

i am not even thinking about my "due date" at this point, cause i know it'll just screw with my head even worse if i say to myself, "i've still probably got X weeks of this left!"  *groan*

{{hugs}} to you all.  

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

#24 of 32 Old 10-05-2011, 03:46 PM

I am now 40 weeks 5 days.  My MW started talking about going to 43 weeks.  I have had contractions the past 4 nights, but so mild that nobody cares.  Not even me, really, I have started to sleep through them. 

I have gotten weepy with my husband, irritable with my parents (well, in fairness to me, they ARE irritating - my mom has that singsong squeal that people make when they get over dramatic and irritating), and depressed during the day.  I am officially on maternity leave, and I have nothing left to do.

I am trying to knit and watch TV but I just don't care.  Is this normal?  I have never been pregnant before, and now I am terrified that I will have ppd.  I haven't been depressed before this, and I was expecting to be late, but every passing day feels like an eternity.

Cristina, mama to Isabel.  knit.gif Oh how I miss knitting.  And sleeping.  I miss sleeping.

#25 of 32 Old 10-05-2011, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzybelly View Post
  I am officially on maternity leave, and I have nothing left to do.

I am trying to knit and watch TV but I just don't care.  Is this normal?  I have never been pregnant before, and now I am terrified that I will have ppd.  I haven't been depressed before this, and I was expecting to be late, but every passing day feels like an eternity.

I have no idea if it's normal, and I've never been pregnant before, but as another first time mom, officially on maternity leave, I'm very, very sympathetic.  I had a couple of very bad days. Now, I'm keeping myself busy with random stuff-- washing my husband's car for him, fixing tile in the bathroom, dentist appointment, research disability insurance-- all of which I wouldn't do normally or have put off for years (but they said my teeth are perfect, so it's ok!).  I also have encouraged everyone who has time during the day to call me all the time-- which is annoying when I don't have anything to say, but keeps me connected to the outside world.  I don't know if it's better, but at least I don't feel so down.

#26 of 32 Old 10-06-2011, 04:57 AM

Quote:

I am trying to knit and watch TV but I just don't care.  Is this normal?  

I feel exactly the same way. I don't know about normal, but I felt that way with both my other kids too, so I'm inclined to say "yep, totally normal"! 40 weeks 5 days today here too. Hugs to you! 

~Iris~ Catholic mama to DD1 11/15/05 * DD2 04/28/08 * brokenheart.gif06/23/2010 * and our little rainbow DS 10/07/11 love.gif

#27 of 32 Old 10-06-2011, 05:11 AM

Quote:

I don't know if it's "normal" but I felt the same way in the last month or so with DD - all I did was sit and cry.  I didn't want to do anything or see anyone.  I just moped about how I would be pregnant forever and how everything hurt.  I think a big part of it is sleep deprivation.  Anyway, it didn't last after she was born - I found having her to be a major high, a big rush of beautiful life that I'm still riding 2 years later!    

If you're really worried about ppd, make sure your partner/whoever will be around those first weeks, know the symptoms so they can keep an eye on you and notice if something is wrong!

#28 of 32 Old 10-06-2011, 05:33 AM

Ugh, thanks all.  I guess I just need this baby to get here already!! 

Cristina, mama to Isabel.  knit.gif Oh how I miss knitting.  And sleeping.  I miss sleeping.

#29 of 32 Old 10-06-2011, 06:47 AM

hug2.gif Big fat ditto here!

~Iris~ Catholic mama to DD1 11/15/05 * DD2 04/28/08 * brokenheart.gif06/23/2010 * and our little rainbow DS 10/07/11 love.gif

#30 of 32 Old 10-06-2011, 09:34 AM

Don't have much to say. Just wanted to say wave.gif and grouphug.gif to Izzy, puente, Snuggle and the rest of my overdue/past due buddies. *sigh*

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page