soooo what to do with the placenta???? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 37 Old 10-01-2011, 04:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Oh and I also heard less nutrients are lost if you dont' dehydrate it.

Mom to angel baby, grew wings at 5 weeks in May '07, William, born Dec '08, and another angel who grew wings at 8w4d (lost at 11w) in Oct '10. Rachel born Feb 2012, Another angel Lost Sept '13. New bean due Nov '14!
#32 of 37 Old 10-01-2011, 05:44 PM

We're donating ours to a research bank at the hospital, along with whatever cord blood they think they can get after delayed clamping.  I'm so glad that opportunity arose, because I really don't want to mess with it myself, but also it feels a little sad to just destroy it.  Now it can sit in someone else's freezer for years!

heartbeat.gif  Baby girl arrived 10/11/11 heartbeat.gif

#33 of 37 Old 10-01-2011, 08:38 PM
~pi

Ours got sent to pathology. We could have insisted on taking it with us, but I just didn't care that much. DS' placenta has been in our freezer for 5 years. I keep meaning to plant it under a tree at MIL's place. That, uh, hasn't worked out yet. (But clearly I should be thankful that at least I haven't mistaken it for meatballs! lol.gif Katico)

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#34 of 37 Old 10-01-2011, 09:27 PM

If you chop it up for smoothies, how big of a piece do you put in each smoothie?  I wanted to encapsulate but it is too expensive for me to follow through with so I may just make smoothies.

Awesome vegan mom to wolverine babyf.gif11/11 and sabertooth 11/13 and partner to a drum.gifwe also have dog2.gif

#35 of 37 Old 10-01-2011, 09:52 PM

A heads up to pp's about taking the placenta home from the hospital - make it very, very clear that you do not want it treated with formaldehyde before being bagged!  That's some seriously gross stuff and probably not something you want feeding your fruit trees.

om.gif married to my best friend guitar.gif; Proud mama of one fine boy! diaper.gif  ribboncesarean.gif;  stork-suprise.gif 4/14 Hoping for a vbac.gif

#36 of 37 Old 10-02-2011, 08:20 AM

My placenta smelled absolutely disgusting while dehydrating! That is one reason I am so pro smoothie.

Not all hospitals will let you take it, I would check ahead of time and clarify that you don't want it treated.

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#37 of 37 Old 10-02-2011, 11:22 AM

Okay, your 5 years makes me feel better about my 2.5 yrs + meatballs lol.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~pi View Post

Ours got sent to pathology. We could have insisted on taking it with us, but I just didn't care that much. DS' placenta has been in our freezer for 5 years. I keep meaning to plant it under a tree at MIL's place. That, uh, hasn't worked out yet. (But clearly I should be thankful that at least I haven't mistaken it for meatballs! lol.gif Katico)

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page